The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Hull sanded, Approx 2.5 hours, mostly of lying on my back holding a vibrating 22year old, wearing Black Mamba vinyl rubber gloves, rubber case mask and goggles. https://youtu.be/ubeVUnGQOIk

Hull filled again, approx 30 minutes.

While sat contemplating my navel oops naval, IE the boat, realised that I didn't have a control panel, see this international 2.4 metre

Well I had nowhere for all those controls, but I did have the area between the frames either side of the join 1 foot fore and aft, 2 ft wide. Having done a fair amount of work,

This now almost ready to be used, 2hours later it Just needs a bit of fibreglassing.

https://youtu.be/ubeVUnGQOIk

I will need jammers / cleats for....

Jib halyard,

Jib furler,

Jib, outhaul.

Jib sheets.

Dangley pole.

Main halyard,

Main sheet,

Down haul,

Out haul,

Cunningham,

Slab reefing.

Meanwhile the filler set, so I picked up the sander again placed it on the hill, and within 30 seconds, realised my arms could not do another session holding a vibrating 22year old above my head.

So I've now retired to the house, I intend shortly to have a long soak in the bath, accompanied by a large glass of Highland Park,.

Why the music from, the snowman? Lying flat on my back under the boat using a sander or using a flap wheel to make the control panel, when finished I looked like a snowman

• Like 16

Lucky the Hudson River wasn’t involved this time

Yes, indeed. However - Vancouver airport is on Sea Island, with one arm of the Fraser River to the North, another arm of the river to the south, and the Strait of Georgia to the west. Plenty of potential if things go nasty.

• Like 9

I think what might help Andy is to make sure that she knows as well as you about how much you need to take per day and how much extra per day that will mean on the other days in that week if you can't open on any day for whatever reason - it should definitely help to concentrate the mind.  When a pal of mine opened his own shop he realised how important it was to be open when he said he would be open - it makes a big difference to potential regulars and also to folk calling for mail order or, nowadays, buying via the net.

and also those folk that travel some distance to buy, only to find a shop shut.

I have been absent for a while. Many reasons, work, death of a dog who was with me all through my own cancer treatment, so it hit hard, and then getting another, being knackered from the extra that I’ve had to do to cover for absent and sick colleagues, my 101 year old uncle in and out of hospital, and no good news about Debs.

Until now.

At least three hospitals, many interventions, chemical, physical and radioactive, touch and go, no good news and some good news, then less good news, this over months. But finally …

She’s been at another hospital these past couple of weeks where it looks, as if, she might, just might, have had the treatment that finally may give her hope to conquer her cancer. There will be further scans in three and six weeks before we know how well this has succeeded. As ever, she didn’t want to worry anyone.

But given this, she’s weak and has lost weight. It’s eight months tomorrow since she was admitted as an emergency. But she hasn’t lost her sense of humour. Her courage has been tested to the extreme.

• Like 1

John - thank you for the update on Debs, and that does sound promising news. I had noticed that you had been absent for a while. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know how important animals can be during all times, especially the difficult ones.

My good wishes to you.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

John,

Thanks for the good news re Debs who we hope will continue the recent upward path.  With you on the loss of your companion dog - they are fantastic devotees - and trust that all will improve for you and yours.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Another dull and quite cool day here in the northwest. We’ve had a small amount of rain but not a lot, but at least I won’t need to water the garden today as it’s still quite damp.

Late this afternoon we had great difficulty getting on to the internet, everything was connected to our WiFi hub, but wouldn’t connect to anything, websites, eBay, outlook, YouTube etc, so after trying for about 20 minutes I gave up. It was just the same after tea, so I re-booted the modem and it worked for a few minutes then stopped again, I think a new modem is the next thing to look at, as this ones well over 8 years old!

Not a lot else to report here today, the freshly made apple sauce went down well with the boss, as did the apple crumble too and there’s enough left over for Wednesday’s tea too! I made a small amount of crumble and only used a small portion of the apple for tonight, the rest is in the fridge and I’ll make a fresh batch of crumble for Wednesday.

There was no swimming tonight, as the sports centre is closed on bank holidays, so the plan is to go on Thursday evening instead.

Mal. Great news, it must be a huge relief.

John. Thanks for the update on Deb’s, fingers crossed as ever.

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

Morning All,

We have a cloudy morning here, and despite the fact that it is forecast to be warm later on, it is pretty chilly at the moment!

John, thank you very much for the update on Debs.  It is good to hear some potentially good news in the fight against that terrible disease.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

Good morning one and all!  Welcome back to Coombe Barton and many thanks for the news of Debs

Yesterday was one of those days when I could not settle to any task.  I managed 40 minutes in the garden before the sheer volume of the remedial work necessary became too much for me.  It is dispiriting to say the least when the green bin is almost full and the area that has received attention looks hardly touched.  I didn’t get much tidying done either but I did make a batch of pasta sauce and deal with some correspondence.

I didn’t fancy my chances arranging travel insurance on a bank holiday so that is a priority for today once I have done the fodder run.  After the ordeal I went through sorting the insurance for the Christmas and New Year trip to Switzerland I don’t relish doing it for a trip to Australia and New Zealand either but if I don’t do it I can’t go.  Being 70 as well as having prostate cancer and type 2 diabetes are three reasons to be fobbed off with “the computer says no” but if I don’t go this time I never will.  Expect me to have a very sore ear by the end of the day after being on the phone for most of it.

On the subject of dating sites, Lightengine makes a very important point.  How do you choose the right ones?  Good question: I do know that there are some very wrong ones!  Rockershovel, I have to say that I prefer your method!  Andyram, when the subject was first raised my answer was “no, because I’m not dating”.  Clearly this did not satisfy my e-friend.  I’m now wondering whether there is an ulterior motive.  Suspicious?  Moi?

Mal, glad your news was encouraging.  Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Another reasonable nights sleep, it won't go on...

I have 1 major system to do over the next three days (I've got Friday off), unfortunately they haven't released it yet, that means I will have 2.5 days to do 2.5 days work... if it works first time.

Meanwhile I've just perused the results from last weeks major system and nothing appears to have been done on Friday, that means that system is still off. I need some of the equipment for this weeks system, and for the following week. So I can't see when it's going to be done.

My arms and shoulders are still aching from holding a Vibrating 22 year old above my head, the weather looks good for finishing next weekend.. I need to get some high build primer for the hull before painting, though the final  top coat will be left until everything else is done.

The sail that was washing, spent a day bleaching in the bath before a cold wash in the machine, It's come out quite well But there are a couple of bit's that need more attention, once that is done there is some stitching that needs repair, I can't find my sailmaker palm, so I've ordered a new one, the old one will turn up when that arrives..

Time to ... find something to do until the system is released...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

A bit brighter this morning.  West Shore abandoned on Sunday - chuckinitdarn.  Kept out of the wind on Saturday by helping watching Ray wire up up the signalling in the signal box.  Later in the afternoon, tidied up the kitchen area in the "clubhouse".

I always find that opening with "Bonjour" and parting with "Au revoir / merci" in Paris is sufficient to then converse in at least reasonable English.  I believe the same is true of other major French cities.  It is not true of the rural and regional areas where the use of any language other than Le Français will only bring about a sullen shake of the head and a muttered "Non ....... "

One of the great benefits of being British and having, for better or worse, our conquering and travelling history, is that many folk in international destinations will at least understand English and quite a few are able to meaningfully converse in it.  Which has helped no end these past 17 years or so when transitting through airports in Dubai, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.  Almost without exception English is spoken quite fluently from the tourist-orientated gift shops to the curry vendor's cart in Singapore Changi terminal.  And of course most signs are bilingual with the native language and English being the two used.

Parts of Wales on the other hand are notoriously reluctant to admit any connection with the "firm next door".  I have had the hard stare and the "only speaking Welsh" thing in a number of shops, pubs and even accommodation providers around the north.  The Welsh-speaking areas of the south and west are not as bad with most folk happy enough to speak English.  I have encountered similar in Scotland with a few of the more isolated towns and crofts only speaking Gaelic and feigning no understanding of the Sassenach tongue.  And then there's Cornish.  Only spoken fluently by a few hundred people and to a lesser degree by a couple of thousand.  Many of us have some idea but can't put more than a common phrase into what we consider our own language.  The similarity between Sassenach in Scotland and Sawsnek in Cornwall for English (the people and the language) is directly related to their native tongues both being within the Celtic language group.

And now back to the story line ;)

No rush to wake tomorrow.  The T-shirt is ready instead of the smart blue one because it is a Ban Collar Day.  

Until then g'night all.

Saesneg for the English in Wales.

Have a good day all.

• Like 14

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. Good to see you back John. Sorry for the loss of your dog/companion/friend. It's never easy to lose a loved animal. Thanks for the debdate, err update. I think we need to petition the OED to just put a pic of Debs next to the entry for stubborn. 

Plan C with the building work is underway. We spent the weekend doing the bedroom work the builder should have. Another couple of evenings and we'll have a habitable bedroom once again. Those I know on Farcebook may have seen the pics. Painting completed, floorboards up, plumbing for the radiator done, radiator mounted and plumbed in, central heating pressurised, floorboards down, sockets installed, about 1/3 of the flooring laid, and the wardrobes put back in place. Today I'm dealing with complaints from muscles that I'd forgotten about. I finally heard from the builder by way of text. He claims that he'll be back within the next 2 weeks. Like Alice I try to believe 6 impossible things before breakfast. If he does show up I'm not sure how to handle it. Do I let him finish the work with a large risk of him b*ggering off again part way through, or do I tell him to sling his hook and pay back the £ he received in advance for materials?

Q good luck with the boat building. Once upon a time an old family friend and scoutmaster was building his retirement boat. (1000km from the sea as you do) He was very meticulous and precise about everything. He spent nearly 20 years working on it. He'd driven the route the boat needed to take to the coast several times and recorded every possible problem enroute. This included every bridge height, every powerline, etc. No problems. 3 months before the big move, the BC government installed a new bridge across the TransCanada highway that turned out to be 400mm too low. (well the temporary supporting structure was too low.) Eventually the boat made it but not before a major detour via the USA and I90.   

Another day of work. The siren's call of the coffee maker is luring me to the kitchen. Enjoy the day everyone. 
  • Like 4