The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have got away with it.................................. Thank you ABS pipe adhesive.

The machine does smell a little odd at present, but I'm sure the fresh air will soon dissipate the aroma of freshly welded plastic.

I am now eagerly anticipating a return to cleaning the carpets.

Meanwhile, Elsa is snoring.

• Like 3

Good to see that Aditi doesn't trust those modern internet thingies to find a foreign hotel and she uses an Inghams brochure.

It always amazes me that an online service says it searches a million hotels to find you the right price. But, Mr Online Hotel Finder, in the village I want to go to there are only 6 hotels, how does that million thing work?

• Like 13

Morning all.

It is muggertea time. Yorkshire’s finest although SWMBO has the decaffeinised version on medical grounds. The kettle’s on if anyone is close enough to pop round.

What's the point? The property is unoccupied!

Bill

• Like 1

Roundhouse enjoy your 'beef' festival at least we have decent weather for your stay in GWR country.

There is a 4 day music fest at the Ship Inn on the back beach this weekend, so hopefully the weather stays good for that.

Apparently this weekend is the one where everybody heads to Cornwall & Devon and the A&E's get chocker. Lets hope its a bit quieter this year.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up at four this morning to find the slugs, two of them slithering across the carpet. Both were collected in a piece of kitchen paper, given a good dose of salt and the resulting gooey mess binned. Not much else to report so its be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Car is washed and gleaming. The sun is still shining but that probably won't last long now.

This afternoon I'll be watching the RL Challenge Cup Final between Catalan Dragons and Warrington Wolves.

Next week the RU season starts and then I will be a very happy Bobby!

Also getting nearer to various model railway shows starting with Swindon in a couple of weeks. Things are definitely looking up!   :imsohappy:

Ian (RH) hope you can find a  nice pint of sirloin.  :yes:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that Aditi doesn't trust those modern internet thingies to find a foreign hotel and she uses an Inghams brochure.

It always amazes me that an online service says it searches a million hotels to find you the right price. But, Mr Online Hotel Finder, in the village I want to go to there are only 6 hotels, how does that million thing work?

She uses multimedia techniques.

Initial choices seem to be based on the area having been on the Europe syllabus for O level geography that she taught last century.

Then a look through the Inghams brochure. When we went to Switzerland last year we couldn’t have got a better deal by booking directly ourselves. But this year she liked the look of the hotel but it wasn’t bookable even though it was in the brochure. So a quick call to reception and a credit card deposit by phone and all was booked. By booking direct the price is the same but there are some benefits for those who do. For anyone who didn’t want to drive, it seems that if you arrange your own flights the hotel will pick you up from Graz, Salzburg or Ljubljana.

Aditi has been off to the pool for some time now. I suspect she is trying out all the other spa rooms. They have saunas and steam rooms and some things I have only noticed in Austria before. Some sort of foot spa and a room with twigs in I think. She will tell me. I found a park. All the shops were shut for lunch but they are the usual collection of sport shops and souvenir emporia! Lots of cafes though.

Tony

• Like 19

Tony, in the dark old middle ages, I always wrote to the tourist office of the countries I wanted to visit. A good read through the literature they sent and then a letter to the hotel. I found some fabulous places using this method. The best being a lovely lakeside hotel in Kussnacht on Lake Lucerne.

I also had a copy of that nice Mr Cooks European timetable.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tony, in the dark old middle ages, I always wrote to the tourist office of the countries I wanted to visit. A good read through the literature they sent and then a letter to the hotel. I found some fabulous places using this method. The best being a lovely lakeside hotel in Kussnacht on Lake Lucerne.

I also had a copy of that nice Mr Cooks European timetable.

Yes I can recall writing to tourist offices too or writing to places in Michelin or Logis guides for France. On our first Eurojaunt I can recall some of Aditi’s colleagues (staff room “experts” who had probably only been on a day return to Boulogne in 1963) who assured us that touring in France didn’t necessitate pre booking. Not true in the Dordogne on a Friday to Monday. We were quick learners.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

I've been lying on my back holding a 22yearold vibrating, while wearing Black Mamba Vinyl Rubber gloves..

Removing old paint and filler 2.25 hours, did require the use of mallet and chisel, hot air gun, sharp blade and scraper.

Sanding down, 1.5 hours, 40 grade did it's stuff with a half sheet sander, a makita that did all the original sanding, 20 + years ago.

Cut fibreglass bandage, tape into place, brush on resin, 1 hour, I must say it looks a good job I've done, most unusual...

To get under the boat involves,

Kneeling between crane and boat,

roll onto side nearest boat,half under boat, into fetus position.

Place upper leg over bottom cross beam of crane.

Roll on back, while lifting other leg on to crossbeam.

Squirm around a bit to get into working position.

Just reverse the above while some how finding something to grab hold of to pull yourself up.

Eyelid inspection beckons..

• RMweb Gold

That is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond a EA

I gave up reading at “place upper leg over bottom” looked too much like yoga!

I gave up repairing cars when I found I couldn’t extricate my self from whatever position I had struggled into to fix a clutch cable on a Cortina.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Cortinas had clutch cables :O ??? I’m pretty sure mine relied upon timing to crash through the box ;).

Never managed to find a passenger with which to use the expression “Cor Tina” though there were other names involved. :jester:

Smouldering is in progress. The end result might be a pleasureable pastime best not mentioned here!

• RMweb Gold

Cortinas had clutch cables :O ??? I’m pretty sure mine relied upon timing to crash through the box ;).

Never managed to find a passenger with which to use the expression “Cor Tina” though there were other names involved. :jester:

Smouldering is in progress. The end result might be a pleasureable pastime best not mentioned here!

This was the final Cortina that preceded the jelly mould Sierra.

I gave up reading at “place upper leg over bottom” looked too much like yoga!

I gave up repairing cars when I found I couldn’t extricate my self from whatever position I had struggled into to fix a clutch cable on a Cortina.

Been there, done that! I still have memories of trying to remove my right hand/arm, in one piece, from being jammed around a mini UJ , having replaced it with a roller bearing version with the car on axle-stands in a deserted RAF motor club one Sunday evening  -  - simple to do when you have someone to turn the road-wheel - but when you can't reach it with your left hand......... fortunately somebody turned up about an hour later....

• RMweb Gold

This was the final Cortina that preceded the jelly mould Sierra.

I had both of those back in the 80s.

Just watched a really great RL Challenge Cup Final. As most of you have probably realised by now I'm a lifelong Rugby Union fan but I really enjoyed this  match. No spoilers from me just in case anyone has recorded it but the winners definitely deserved their victory.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

I've been lying on my back holding a 22yearold vibrating, while wearing Black Mamba Vinyl Rubber gloves..

Place upper leg over bottom cross beam of crane.

Roll on back, while lifting other leg on to crossbeam.

Squirm around a bit to get into working position.

Just reverse the above while some how finding something to grab hold of to pull yourself up.

Eyelid inspection beckons..

TMI!

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I am on my own for the moment, SWMBO received a phone call from a friend in the weaving club, who has now come round, she has gone down to the mobile home with her.

The friend, who was never entirely there anyway, has just received a diagnosis of Altzimers...