The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a good interaction with a software helpline. I bought a gizmo(from Amazon France) that will allow me to transfer VHS videos to my laptop and then on to DVD. I tried to install the software yesterday but kept getting the message "Invalid Licence Key". I contacted the helpline, in England, and spoke to a real person who asked me to send them an email. I did this and then supplied a photo of the licence key.

This morning I got a reply asking me to substitute V for U. I did this and it all worked. I sent them a jocular thankyou suggesting that I needed to go to the French equivalent of specsavers. I was quite taken to get a quick reply saying Ha Ha and that they were glad that it was working.

Altogether a good and human interaction with August International (Other suppliers of gizmo's are available).

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

The engineer/technician/ITfixer came promptly this morning. After establishing that we had 2 main telephone boxes in the house he quickly had the situation resolved. I can now watch subscribed sports channels and my wife can use wifi simultaneously and at the same time without the wifi dropping off. It only took several phone calls, 2 online chats and a dogged perseverance to get it fixed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

ITfixer

IT fixer? You have an IT fixer :O :o :O ??

That must indeed be a rare, if not unique, skill. My experience of such people has been that:-

1. Their phones / emails / texts are never answered

2. They possibly do know everything but too much knowledge can be dangerous

3. They are always somewhere else attending to a more lucrative job

4. IT might as well stand for “It’s Tw@tted”, “It’s Terminal” or simply “I’m Tired”.

No disrespect intended to all who work in that area. Just a frustrated end-user

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The persisting downfulness has stopped, the sun has its hat on once again, we may even got to see some practice at last!  Last night it only went one lap due to an RTC before roads closed.  Nasty one by the sound of it, so its hard to be annoyed at whoever caused it but this so often happens as folk get excited just beforehand....

IT fixer? You have an IT fixer :O :o :O ??

That must indeed be a rare, if not unique, skill. My experience of such people has been that:-

1. Their phones / emails / texts are never answered

2. They possibly do know everything but too much knowledge can be dangerous

3. They are always somewhere else attending to a more lucrative job

4. IT might as well stand for “It’s Tw@tted”, “It’s Terminal” or simply “I’m Tired”.

No disrespect intended to all who work in that area. Just a frustrated end-user

This guy was a credit to his employer and was determined to resolve several problems he discovered.
  • Like 16

Morning fellow ER's. Generic congrats and commiserations as appropriate.

Chrisf - I hope you get your arrangements sorted for the various pride marches and that you have an enjoyable time.

Mick NB - Enjoy the golf and good luck.

Mike - Good luck with the prostate test.

Black dog continues to prowl outside of the kennel at the moment. I would love to say that my wife is supporting me through the latest battle. Sadly, I would say that she has probably been the one to let it out of its abode.

Best wishes

Andy

Sorry, playing the blame game is never a good idea, especially on what is essentially an insecure forum.

It's easy to post things that we later regret and my own advice was if you feel like posting stuff like this, give it serious thought, as once posted.......

Having read many of your posts, they always gave the impression that your wife was more than supportive.

Imagine if she were read it?

Edited by BlackRat

Evening all,

I had a look at ER this morning then off to Mike's to work on my baseboards, then leave some with him to ensure the builder can walk through the garage in a couple of week's when he re-roofs the shed. (The shed is an extension to the garage.) Seven boards complete, the other seven require a cross piece and/or connecting dowels.

I've just contributed to the cyclists v. pedestrians thread - surprised it hasn't be been locked yet - probably will be after my reference to Brother Boris! The strange sight as I cycled through Hyde Park late last night on the downhill stretch past the barracks was the appearance from Knightsbridge of a phalanx of roller bladers - from a distance of 50 yards they looked like a horde of orks. They were using the horse lane of the main carriageway, in due course I tucked in behind to turn right towards Hyde Park Corner. Just one prom tt come - tomorrow - but it is Bruckner!

Now for some admin for the South Western Circle.

Keep well all, Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Cricket...umpired. One of the MCC team members was the captain of one of the teams on Saturday. My umpire appointments officer has PMd me along the lines of..."you would never have guessed they lost :onthequiet: "

Shopping tomorrow early doors then...

Weekend includes one cricket match to umpire and some modelling on a large layout based on Grantham...looking forward to it as I seem to have mislaid my modelling mojo.

AndyRam..when I was visited by the black mutt her indoors helped to drive it off but, at the time I thought she was hindering not helping. Just keep plugging away at locking it in its kennel.

Congrats/commiserations to all who received their GCSE results today.

Perhaps I need a beer??

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A right mix of congrats, commiserations, best wishes required over the past couple of days.

Golf was golfed - a 5&3 win for our pair, with a 5-1 match win overall.

One more away game to go. 

No chance of winning the league but we could upset the hopes of the team next week.

Only the second time that I'll be playing there and quite looking forward to it.

Also found out that last Saturday's good game resulted in a victory for our 3-man team. That's £30 in my golf account!

Work to be worked tomorrow.

POETS if you can folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been looking at the diesels on Pendon thread, the froth is really foaming. I am tempted to suggest that they run Thomas the tank engine instead of diesels, well he is steam after all. ;) ;)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been looking at the diesels on Pendon thread, the froth is really foaming. I am tempted to suggest that they run Thomas the tank engine instead of diesels, well he is steam after all. ;) ;)

Surely Duck or Oliver would be more appropriate?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I got quite a bit done in the garden today, some more ground has been cleared and I’ve started to put in the footings for the new patio. I know they don’t usually need footings, but strictly speaking it’s a terrace, as it is slightly higher than the garden. So, to prevent the edging stones becoming wobbly in the future, I’m laying a row of bricks below where the edge will be, so that I can cement the edging stones to something a bit substantial. I knocked off around 3:15 and gave all my tools a good clean, before putting everything back in the shed overnight. After getting changed and having a good wash, I sat down with a muggertea and within a few minutes it was persisting it down. I turned to Sheila and said, “phew, I timed that nicely” and she agreed with me.

After tea we had a quick trip to Costco and I topped up the car’s fuel tank whilst we were there, it saves going during the middle of next week.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

Good morning one and all

I must apologise for overlooking yesterday’s major event and hope that all those who collected GCSE results got what they wanted, needed and expected.  Being a young person has never been so difficult.  Heaven forbid that there were any casualties of stress, for any such is one too many.

I will not be posting tomorrow as I have to be on the road at stupid o’clock so as to get to Cardiff in time to register for the Pride Cymru parade.  Why Cardiff, I hear you ask.  The event looks good, I know most of the parade route – no more trolleybuses though! – and I had grandparents in Barry so although I’m a Saes I’m a redeemable Saes.  It is my second Pride and the first since I came out so in a way it’s a new beginning.  Some, including me at times, would say that I need one.

Does anyone here have experience of dating websites?  I ask because it is a subject where my e-friend Harry is reluctant to take No for an answer.  Because I do not date any more I have never thought to use one.  Harry has got on well with them in the past and has even persuaded his dad to have a go.  I am still smarting from the outcome of his last foray into those murky waters.  It was not the fault of the website but of the two lovebirds who found what they were looking for and in the process managed to make a number of their friends feel like second class citizens.  Nevertheless, as I shall tell him next time we chat, it was churlish of me to turn down out of hand the suggestion, meant kindly, that I should use one and I will give it further thought.  Which way to the lion’s den?

Warm thoughts to Mrs NHN and as always to all in distress or missing

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple Here.

A good nights sleep, even though it was 25C in the bed room, helped by some Highland Park.

Ben the Border Collie was asleep at the bottom of the stairs so he agreed it was warm.

I've just ordered a 1 ton crane scale, (£75) which may be a odd thing to buy, but to get the boat weights right I need to weigh the hull, and keel separately. I also need to weigh my unbraked trailer, as it does not have a weight plate. This trailer, if it comes out right, is the one I'm modifying to fit the boat. Hopefully the total of all above should come out to less than 750kg.

This number of weighings would soon add up, plus the inconvenience of a 20 mile round trip to the nearest weighbridge, makes it a justifiable expense.

Oh I do have a 1 ton hoist, it's how I get boats off trailers on my own, or today lifting the boat to move it 18inches.

There is is pair of big brown eyes that have just left their bed, they are staring at me.

Time to take Ben on morning patrol.

• Like 15