The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

One suspects that if nothing else she was likely to have been under the affluence of incohol and it is not unusual for those in such a state to do daft, and dangerous, things.  

While I still think it was rather pointless using 61,000 (nett) tonnes of ship to go looking for a body/person in the sea at night one point has to be considered and that is the legal requirement (which applies even to vessels registered under a 'flag of convenience') to comply with SOLAS and ICS regulations - basically I suspect that the captain had little legal choice, and even less choice in respect of public opinion, even if he thought the exercise would be fruitless.

Mike, there is a manoeuvre for man overboard. I cannot remember it exactly as we never carried it out but it was designed to get you back in the position you were. It involved the wheel full over for 240° or so whilst maintaining some speed IIRC, then the helm was put in the opposite direction for a designated amount of degrees. This manoeuvre would then bring you back to the original position.

(I may be imprecise with my detail as the time span and lack of never having performed it are both memories)

All the news stories at the moment are still using the words 'reportedly' and 'it is claimed'.

It was easily clarified. She could have stepped off the rescue craft and said ..........

But it appears she didn't want to own up. Is that because she thought she might be in deep water?

Morning all.

Another quiet day here yesterday, only bump in the road was Jemmas flight home from Seattle after 4-day trip being delayed 5 hours!

She apparently got home in the wee hours (4AM!!) so won't be over to pick up Whitney until later today.

This morning off to a memorial service for a friend and fellow choir member. Finally succumbed to cancer after an 18 month battle :(

He was also a local musician and song writer and the turnout for the choir rehearsal last night was amazing, the service will certainly be very vocal...

18 and cloudy, expected high only 24 with chance of rain.

Have a good day whatever you're up to.

• RMweb Gold

I hope this resolves quickly. Swelling after air travel is common and not necessarily related to blood pressure meds.

I don't know if you wear them but compression socks are not only well advised but surprisingly comfortable. I routinely wear the medium compression, over the calf stockings. These days they look like regular business wear socks - not the nasty band-aid coloured therapy garments of the old days.  I take my shoes off on the 'plane as well for flights longer than 90 minutes.

A colleague of mine remained motionless in a window seat during a long trans-Pacific flight from Singapore and ended up with a deep vein thrombosis. Other than the fright he was fine but he was put on blood thinners as a precaution.

I once took my shoes off  on a flight...most of the passengers decided to disembark, 30000 feet over the Southern Ocean!!!! :jester:

Mike

• Like 1

Morning all,

Chris please go to the Doctor or - probably even better - go to A&E and get yourself properly checked over, even hanging around for ages won't be too much of an imposition if the visit at least results in reassurance and at best results in treatment/relief.

Yes, bwana.  I have been.  I had a chest x-ray and was put down for an ECG which they then decided I did not need.  There is no visible bruising and only spasmodic pain.  I have plenty of ibuprofen shooud tonight be as uncomfortable as tonight.  Diagnosis: muscular strain, which should clear up in a week or so.

Thank you for caring.

Chris

• Like 1

I'm surprised that so many people thought I was being funny when I posted about elastic shoelaces. I was trying to be helpful, and I hope ChrisF doesn't think I was taking the mickey.

I have some in my old trainers, and they are very comfortable, but take some getting in if you have arthritic hands (the reason for getting them in the first place. They look OK, too.

post-17799-0-59642300-1534863112_thumb.jpg

So, sorry Chris if you thought I was being sarcastic - though for the life of me I can't see what was funny. Worth a try for a couple of quid.

• Like 16

Mention of once readily available chemicals - the other one that springs to mind  is Carbon Tetrachloride. Often used as a cleaning agent.

Highly toxic to the liver and other delicate bits.

Off to lunch. It may involve a short trip to Arcow Quarry.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

Many,many years ago I worked in a lab at CIBA-Geigy at Duxford where they made Araldite, Aerodux, and Aeroweb, and similar epoxy-resin glues. They had big, (make that HUGE), tanks to de-grease ally sheet and honeycomb for gluing up aircraft wing panels - in carbon-tet vapour - the thought that someone might have fallen in gives me the heebie-jeebies !

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

I've decided on a dangley pole system....

I suspect a certain woman sobered up about 10ft after leaving the deck, with another 60ft to fall...

It's warm outside, I just went to Measure to see if a dangley pole system will fit.

It's been very busy at work, not helped by a short week next week, and I'm over the hump for this week as I've got Friday off..

For the dangley pole A 2m carbon fibre tube would cost about £60, a alloy tube £13 can I justify the extra cost of carbon?

I'm just cooking up a big sauce pan of fuseli carbonara, as SWMBO is at the weavers. SWMBO hates cheese, I'll freeze the left over..

Dangley poles are a fairly new invention.

I'll have a Highland Park to accompany the carbonara.

In my case the dangley pole will have to be about 5ft long.

My parcel from Fraggle rock has arrived ( first radius) ready for use on Friday at the MRC.

I'll also need about 15ft of 5mm elastic rope, and 15ft of 6mm normal rope to use dangley pole.

Carbonara up!!!!

So what is a dangley pole system?

It's a pole that dangles on the elastic from the front of the mast, the rope goes in that same end through the pole to the clew of the jib. It's an semi automatic way of holding the jib out into the wind. Especially for the use of single handed sailors..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So what is a dangley pole system?

It's a pole that dangles on the elastic from the front of the mast, the rope goes in that same end through the pole to the clew of the jib. It's an semi automatic way of holding the jib out into the wind. Especially for the use of single handed sailors..

When I used to sail a Drascombe Lugger single handed, I made up three jib sticks, although the second was for the mainsail and the third one for the gaff.

Three sails, two pairs of hands and no booms, so you did need to hold out the sails when running before the wind.

Trouble was, sailing single handed also meant you had to be pretty confident you weren't accidentally going to gybe.

Elastic would have been sheer decadence, and may even have removed the background apprehension about losing a stick overboard.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Many,many years ago I worked in a lab at CIBA-Geigy at Duxford where they made Araldite, Aerodux, and Aeroweb, and similar epoxy-resin glues. They had big, (make that HUGE), tanks to de-grease ally sheet and honeycomb for gluing up aircraft wing panels - in carbon-tet vapour - the thought that someone might have fallen in gives me the heebie-jeebies !

Asbestos wool and benzene were common substances in student use when I did A level chemistry. A few months later when I was doing chemistry experiments at university they were forbidden. Benzene was used in experiments not for cleaning things.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Car repaired, money handed over..pah!  (I did walk there about 4 miles so I have done my walking for the day!)

Sprayed a loco which has now got a crazed pattern in places in the paint...sprayed over some strange varnish it would appear...pah! pah!

Started to do my accounts..pah! pah! pah!

time for a mugadecaff.

Baz

Note to self: walking out on your partner is a particularly bad idea when you're at sea and the only place into which you can walk out is the middle of the Adriatic...

The words queen and drama spring to mind. I hope she is prosecuted for that. She wasted time, fuel etc for the cruise ship and the rescue craft. She should have more respect especially as a trolley dolly with safety in the air training.

Looks like loads of drink was involved. The similarities with my former alcohack riding partner (now in her new home somewhere in Camarthenshire) are amusingly disturbing though:

- cabin crew

- likes a drink

- filthy temper when drunk....

Evening All,

I hope this resolves quickly. Swelling after air travel is common and not necessarily related to blood pressure meds.

I don't know if you wear them but compression socks are not only well advised but surprisingly comfortable. I routinely wear the medium compression, over the calf stockings. These days they look like regular business wear socks - not the nasty band-aid coloured therapy garments of the old days.  I take my shoes off on the 'plane as well for flights longer than 90 minutes.

A colleague of mine remained motionless in a window seat during a long trans-Pacific flight from Singapore and ended up with a deep vein thrombosis. Other than the fright he was fine but he was put on blood thinners as a precaution.

I'd get that seen to pretty toot-sweet, mes Ami. Sometimes pitting oedema is seen with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), although many DVTs are asymptomatic. Unfortunately, I have had a DVT - which was secondary (I am certain) to COX-2 inhibitor use (COX-2 inhibitors can cause a decrease in prostacyclin leading to platelet aggregation and thus to clots). Apart from some calf pain and swelling, not oedema, I was asymptomatic. Treatment was subcutaneous low molecular weight heparin injections (self-administered) and rat poison (yep, I was on oral coumadin aka Warfarin - an active ingredient in many rat poisons!). Warfarin is pretty scary stuff and as a result - initially - I had my INR assessed every two or three days... What fun.

Incidentally, the Australians have their own way of describing DVTs (or a constellation of events including DVT) - they call it "Economy Class Syndrome"  and due to the large number of economy class passengers (who move around little and sit in cramped seating) flying long hours into Oz and developing such things, the Aussies have become world leaders in the diagnosis and management of DVTs. Or so I have been told (although it was an Australian colleague telling me this - so he might have been pulling a fast one on me).

ChrisF: I am surprised that what was obviously a very painful injury should respond so well to ibuprofen. It seems to be the analgesic of choice around here (even in hospital) but quite frankly it does very little for me, even at prescription strength. I have moved on to diclofenac (another NSAID) - which is now my analgesic of choice when I find myself in need of pain relief (I try and avoid all medications if at all possible. It's not that I am anti-medicine, but... well let's put it this way: does a Butcher eat his own sausages???). I also have some tramadol for when I need some serious pain relief - fortunately not needed for many a month now.

Anyway, that about it for now. Will try and be a little bit more active with my postings over the next few days,

Stay Frosty Guys

iD

Whilst on the subject of medicines, I am currently reading a book about life in Queen Victoria's time and then there were quite a few patent medicines that were most effective in managing pain - but given that the ingredients of these patent medicines included opium, heroin, cocaine, cannabis and abundant alcohol (plus some sugar syrup to make it palatable [opioids are quite bitter]), I am not surprised...

• RMweb Gold

Mike, there is a manoeuvre for man overboard. I cannot remember it exactly as we never carried it out but it was designed to get you back in the position you were. It involved the wheel full over for 240° or so whilst maintaining some speed IIRC, then the helm was put in the opposite direction for a designated amount of degrees. This manoeuvre would then bring you back to the original position.

(I may be imprecise with my detail as the time span and lack of never having performed it are both memories)

I agree - all rather elaborately specified now in the SOLAS and ICS Regs although they don't give helm orders (just about the only thing they don't give).  However the track published in a couple of places (and possibly still live on the 'net) showed the 'search pattern' the ship followed and it does seem a bit ridiculous for a vessel that size.

Incidentally if the casualty had come from another ship in the immediate vicinity of 'Norwegian Star' she could still have been required to join in a search unless the Captain could give a very good reason for not taking part (and passengers missing their connections is very likely not a good reason).  it's up to the cruise company to have in place suitable contingency arrangements to deal with the impact of an incident such as this or such things as being required to join in a search for a casualty from another ship or standing by another vessel in distress.  And of course arrival in port could just as easily have been delayed by weather (even in the Adriatic in summer time) or all sorts of other potential incidents.  Failure to be prepared for that sort of eventuality is in my view wholly down to the cruise line and the way they manage, or don't manage, their business.  

A few years ago the ship we were on docked in Greenock instead of Swansea - hardly a problem as passengers (albeit there weren't many of us) were allowed access to the 'net via the ship's terminal to suss out and rebook trains etc.  The 92 year old passenger even managed to get arranged assistance at every station where he and his carer had to change trains, between Glasgow and Grange-Over-Sands.   Not the same as Italy I know but people can be self-sufficient when it comes to short notice alteration of their plans although help from a cruise line should really be part of their service and covered if necessary by their insurance.

• Like 17