The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Rainy season continues...

Not a lot done today but decided to tackle some boxes of old paperwork.  More than I expected so I will have to dump half in next week's recycle collection.  Unfortunately the box files have had it too, so they will have to go out as well.

At least I have made a start...

Good news, parcel arrived this morning.  One bogie wheel put back in place and injector stuck back on while Miss Apprentice looked on.  Runs nicely.   :locomotive:

More money I owe him.   :jester:

• Like 19

BTW if you happen to see any eagle feathers lying on the ground don't be tempted to keep any. That could get you into a lot of trouble.

Don't tell me there is a National Eagle Lobby protecting eagle feathers in an amendment to the constitution?

• RMweb Premium

In need of a few bits.  Modest order placed with an outfit I have never used before.  Goes by the name of T***kS***k ;)

Then the serious stuff can begin.

In the meantime it's Goodnight from me.  And the cat says it's Goodnight from Him.

• Like 19

OH!

WOW!

Ray has had an e-mail from our NWMES Vice-Chairman re this September's Engineering in Miniature.

I am on the FRONT COVER!

Setting off with dignitaries on "The Brigadier," a 5" gauge 1500 class loco, at the West Shore Miniature Railway's Grand Opening and the Society's 70th Anniversary.

Guess who is running down to WHS tomorrow!

Well, I did not expect that!   :imsohappy:

Thought you might like to know, too.

Well done kid, you must be Chuff Chuff Chuffed. :sungum:

• Like 2

Don't tell me there is a National Eagle Lobby protecting eagle feathers in an amendment to the constitution?

There's joke about a bald eagle. Not sure it will survive a transatlantic crossing, but here goes. I stuck in the jokes thread.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept like a log last night, so I'm now bright eyed and bushy tailed but I'm not sure how long it will last. I see that they are announcing the first contestant for the next bout of Strictly come dancing this morning. I'm not sure of which sleb she is as I usually avoid such trivia but if you want to see why Botox should be more strictly controlled you just had to watch what looked like a talking mannequin with lips so swollen that she looked as if she'd been punched in the mouth. Apart from the usual shopping trip for bread and papers I will be doing the same today as yesterday, absolutely nothing. Muggatee awaits so its be back later.

Her name is Katie Piper and if you google her you will see that she had sulphuric acid thrown over her face a few years back and is still receiving treatment!

• Like 1

Good afternoon tea all.

Good luck and break a leg track joiner to Andy.  Welcome aboard (literally, it seems) and into the madness to yet another Andy.  Are we to rename this place AR? ;)

Moan-day began well but it was not set to last.  Something broke down astride the points at New Malden, got going again briefly but only coasted down the hill to fail again part-way to Norbiton.  Result?  No morning peak trains through Kingston which is our busiest line in the Down a.m/ peak.  A good many folks were somewhat miffed at being redirected via Suburbiton and the local red buses; a few Shepperton trains were rerouted via Richmond though that of necessity omits Kingston.  All was recovered by 11.00 when it was time to leave.  

Since being home I have attempted to glue cork to a shiny veneer-effect surface.  The jury is out on the result.

Back in my band-management days our drummer had a Sonor Hi-Lite Maple kit with Zildjian cymbals and more sticks than you could get into one holder.  It was usually part of my job to assist in the removal (the popular name for which would, I suspect, trigger the profanity filter) of kit from a second-floor flat via the fire escape, load into the van and carry to the stage for set-up.  And the reverse post-gig which often meant I was humping* the gear up an outside fire-escape in the dark at 2 or 3am.  I am still trying to get the now-useless tapes they made recovered somehow.  A friend has managed to clean up and de-wow similar tapes for other bands on the circuit at the time but in my case we no longer have contact with any of the members to seek permission.  Fun times though.  Even if I never came home with anything in my pocket.  It's only rock 'n' roll but no-one can afford to pay a decent rate.

* if that shows as a row of hashtags on the post then it's triggered the filter as I thought.  If not - well you know what I meant a couple of lines earlier now!

Avvergoodun.  

Drummers had the most kit, and was usually last to pack up, but as the Bassist, I had the heaviest Amps, Next time, I'll be the Singer, or just play the Harmonica, haha.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The morning started off well and I was making good progress sorting out some of the rubble when it started to rain. However, as it was getting on towards 12:45, I decided to pack up and head in for dinner. After dinner I went to the workshop and made a start on a brake van that I’m building for Max. So far I’ve put brass bearings in the axle boxes and built the chassis. I’ve tested on a short piece of track and it’s now running very well.

After tea I went to Salford Quays for a swim but I only managed 4 laps (2k) as I got caught in some heavy traffic and when I finally got to the desk, there was nobody there, so I had to wait to check in. The water was cool, but not so cold that I needed to put on my wetsuit.

Polly, congratulations on being on the front page!

Goodnight all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Her name is Katie Piper and if you google her you will see that she had sulphuric acid thrown over her face a few years back and is still receiving treatment!

And she has shown immense bravery.

My apologies to the young lady. And with that goodnight all.

• Like 14

I have seen a couple of docus she has presented and after all she has gone through and then she still has the guts to front such programmes she has my respect.

• Like 8

Morning All,

We have a nice bright sunny morning in this part of the world, but it started off quite cloudy - which also indicated that the mornings are starting to draw in because it was actually quite dark when we got up! 

There isn't a lot else to report today, it looks like I have a day of testing.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all from a village that's rather cloudy and overcast at the moment.  I managed to get most of the wardrobe built.  It's an old one that used to be in the back bedroom in the UK. One or two minor pieces have gone missing and two parts have been glued back together and will be fitted today.  I spent the afternoon wrangling wires on the layout and actually got an object to move along some parallel pieces of metal using the proper controller.   A pleasant walk round the village ensued.  

One final piece of furniture to build this morning and a bike to check for a friend then hopefully some more time working on the layout.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Mugatea being drunk then time to get ready to go to Castleford. 100 overs scheduled today between 11am and 6pm...oh for the same over rates in professional Cricket!

Enjoy whatever you do today and let's hope our missing ERs are ok.

Baz

• Like 16