The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning from a wet Matlock Bath. Today is an event called "Beat the Biker", an annual event organised by some Scooter group. The place is full of Scooters of all makes. Hopefully a few of them will be tempted to purchase some of the scooter models I have on the shelves in the shop! 

I hope that this Sunday morning finds you well. I offer the usual generic round of congrats and commiserations as appropriate. A warm welcome back to ChrisF. Like, Tony, I genuinely look forward to his morning musings in the same way I used to enjoy reading the posts of our well loved friend Jock. I am very pleased to read the news that he has "come out" to his Aunt and on here on RMWeb. I sincerely hope life takes the correct course for you. At the end of the day, be proud of who you are Chris. 

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 19

The Waitrose part of the John Lewis empire is definitely going through difficult times.  They have cutback hard on distribution costs and contract labour and this is clearly affecting what can be (or more typically not be) found on the shelves in their shops plus they also seem to be cutting back on quality in many areas with a greater concentration on their 'Essentials' range.

Spot-on, Mike, but I'd like to think/hope that JL/Waitrose have more substance to weather the tough times. But you still have to get people in through the doors or onto your website.

Waitrose distribution to Scotland is now from their Preston depot; recently they made a number of LGV drivers redundant here in Edinburgh who used to collect the trailers from Carnforth. Getting to Edinburgh from Preston, unloading, then return, must be pretty tight sometimes driving-hours-wise.

Mal

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

We’ve had quite a lie-in this morning, I’m just finishing off my second muggertea then I’m off outside to tidy up the pile of rubble I’ve created by removing som3 of the patio. Weather wise, we have a mixed forecast today, so I’m not expecting to be outside long before it rains, fingers crossed.

Chrisf. Glad you had a good week at Sidmouth, as for coming out, just be yourself and say bu99er to the world.

Back later

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from Roanoke. It’s a very nice city centre with the railroad running right through the centre and our hotel has a view of the tracks and new Amtrak station. You can just see the end of the canopy on the right.

post-1557-0-39866600-1534070206_thumb.jpeg

Weather looks fine for our trip on Amtrak to Washington DC but storms forecast so we are lucky that we did the flying yesterday.

Will need to get our purchases from the convention back in our bags (one HO loco is already packed) before heading out. Two of the N scale locos are my other half's but I am tasked with looking after them.

post-1557-0-77645100-1534070405_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-39866600-1534070206_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-77645100-1534070405_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Moorning all from Estuary-Land. Not so early riser this morning, after my Sunday morning soak in the bath I laid on the bed to air dry* and promptly dozed off. Now duly breakfasted and muggatee # 2 in hand I am ready for nothing today, well almost nothing, now that it's a bit cooler I'm going to start clearing a lot of clutter. Thats it for now, be back later. *(All those towells are laid on the bed so that the sheets stay dry.)

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from Roanoke. It’s a very nice city centre with the railroad running right through the centre and our hotel has a view of the tracks and new Amtrak station. You can just see the end of the canopy on the right.

attachicon.gifE8F8FB2F-9E53-4EA4-9394-C9ECD45E5E20.jpeg

That looks like the Hotel Roanoke that we stayed in for one night many years ago.

I only realised far too late that there is an O. Winston Link museum a few yards away...……

And there's a railcam on the footbridge outside the hotel...….

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

The neck is still swollen up I spoken to my sister yesterday who was in the nursing game

straight away she reckons could be an underactive Thyroid gland as my other sister had

the same problem it can be hereditary, the NHS sicky site suggests the same, I match all

the listed symptoms and it says taking drugs can affect the gland, aren't these GP's wonderful  :crazy:  not.

I had an interesting afternoon with a pack of peco flexi track and SWMBO helped to hold some of it in place

to check if my layout plan would work over 3 levels as 009 rolling stock is not very high it should be OK 

with a 1 in 50 inclines on  the smallest radius of 9" the little Baldwin had no problems with traction. :senile: 

I  must get on lunch time approaching. :superman: 

have a good day I.M.Famished  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

Good afternoon All,

I am glad to see that (at least since yesterday) all are doing well. Kudos to ChrisF for "coming out" - which for us "oldsters" is something fraut with all the cultural baggage (and prejudices) that was inculcated into us in the late 50s, early 60s.

As for me? Although I am by far attracted to XX Chromosome carriers, but when it comes down to it I am a dyed-in-the-wool Misanthrope; heartily disliking people but quite liking certain - high quality - individuals (such as the 'Brains Trust" that occasionally meets up at the Princess of Shoreditch). Like Mmme Anne Louise Germaine de Staël-Holstein, "The more I see of men the more I like dogs".

Speaking of which (i.e. "The Brains Trust"). Would any of the usual suspects (bbishop, ChrisF, The Stationmaster, roundhouse, Unravelled, JohnDMJ) be available for a meet up at the Princess on Friday 14th September at 12:00? (of course Jamie92208 is most welcome, but we'll probably have to excuse him from the meetup on the account of him becoming French - quelle horreur!))

Having my own business at home can result in me having lots of fun with scammers and cold-call merchants. For the latter (and said when I don't recognise the number) "Hello?  XXXXX GmbH, how can I direct your call" either results in an immediate hang-up or - in the case of a true wrong number - a mumbled apology. For the scammers purporting to be from Microsoft, I let them ramble on for a bit then say something like "You know you've called XXXXX GmbH? - let me put you through to security" or "let me put you through to IT security" - a quick hangup ensues.

As mentioned earlier, now that the hot weather has broken I have got my Mojo back. This morning I managed to catalogue my kitchen stores (an extremely enthusiastic amatuer cook, I currently have 244 different tinned, in jar and dried items in my pantry - I can cook almost any cuisine you can think of...) and I dug out this baby:

attachicon.gifIMG_2734.jpg

Which was a reward to myself for having lost 30kg!1  It's a standard "70s Relic" Les Paul with a Goldtop finish (although I did replacee the top-hat knobs with speed knobs [no sniggering in the back!!!]). Unfortunately, my fingertips have softened up a bit, so some daily practice is in order to toughen them up.

Having just sorted out some flights to Sri Lanka for an Ayuveda "thingy" Mrs iD is MOST insistent that I go on in October, I'll print out some "stuff"and then get out the velocipede and see how far 30 minutes of leisurely cycling takes me.

Have a splendiferous afternoon, Mes Amis

Stay Frosty Dudes!

iD

1 Now, I wonder what I should get myself when I hit the magic -60Kgs? (answers on a postcard...)

Very nice indeed, a cracking Guitar, I had the cheaper version, (Epiphone), but still loved it to bits, should never have sold it / them. :no:  :no:

post-9335-0-32721900-1534075070_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

The neck is still swollen up I spoken to my sister yesterday who was in the nursing game

straight away she reckons could be an underactive Thyroid gland as my other sister had

the same problem it can be hereditary, the NHS sicky site suggests the same, I match all

the listed symptoms and it says taking drugs can affect the gland, aren't these GP's wonderful  :crazy:  not.

I had an interesting afternoon with a pack of peco flexi track and SWMBO helped to hold some of it in place

to check if my layout plan would work over 3 levels as 009 rolling stock is not very high it should be OK 

with a 1 in 50 inclines on  the smallest radius of 9" the little Baldwin had no problems with traction. :senile:

I  must get on lunch time approaching. :superman:

have a good day I.M.Famished  :biggrin_mini2:

A number of consultants used to say that if you missed thyroid diagnosis initially it took absolute ages to get back to it.  Screening is not liked in some quarters but a simple Thyroid Function (blood) Test (TFT) gives a reliable indication.

Peter

That looks like the Hotel Roanoke that we stayed in for one night many years ago.

I only realised far too late that there is an O. Winston Link museum a few yards away...……

Cheers,

Mick

An American railroad with a decent fence at a distance - wow!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon All,

Speaking of which (i.e. "The Brains Trust"). Would any of the usual suspects (bbishop, ChrisF, The Stationmaster, roundhouse, Unravelled, JohnDMJ) be available for a meet up at the Princess on Friday 14th September at 12:00? (of course Jamie92208 is most welcome, but we'll probably have to excuse him from the meetup on the account of him becoming French - quelle horreur!))

Stay Frosty Dudes!

iD

1 Now, I wonder what I should get myself when I hit the magic -60Kgs? (answers on a postcard...)

Quelle horreur indeed I have not become French.    As a proud native of Cumberland I think that as I managed to survive 60 years of doing missionary work among the southern tribes in Tykeland I should be able to survive a few years in Frogland.

However I will have to respectfully decline the invitation to another Brains Trust at the Princess as I will be otherwise engaged helping to console my nearest and dearest who will have reached the tender age of 65 the day before.

Jamie

• Like 16

Flavio, that date would be ideal for me.  I am attending a concert at the Union Chapel in the evening to mark the launch of the first new album by Gryphon for 41 years.

Chris

EDIT - one consequence of my trip to Bristol Pride is that I now own a shrill whistle which cost me £4.  It has a rainbow lanyard and could easily be put near the telephone for use should anyone be stupid enough to spam call me! 

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 13

Good morning one and all

I’m back from Sidmouth, said he stating the bl33ding obvious!  I have now attended more than 40 of these festivals and every year I come away wondering how they can follow that.  This is a festival that runs on infinite improbability drive with impossible choices every day. Don’t tell everyone but I found myself with a pint in my hand, filled and refilled with real ale, from midday to midnight every day for a week.  On the way home I paid an extremely flying visit to RailWells.  I’d like to spend Sunday there but it is daft even by my standards to drive 200+ miles home from Sidmouth only to drive 150 miles back again.

Did I hint at breaking news last time I was here?  On my way to Sidmouth I came out to my aunt in Bristol.  I have been uncertain of my sexuality for as long as I can remember and I know only too well that others have had their suspicions.  To cut a very long story short, I have declared myself “not sure but not straight”.  This is not at all what I expected when I said “let’s see what happens” after Bristol Pride and I’m still making sense of it myself.  I’d like to say more tomorrow if that’s OK.

Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing.  I’m sorry I cannot be more specific at the moment but have you tried catching up with ERs after a week away?

Chris

Chris as Bob Marley put it........ altogether sing for Chris........

Don't worryyyyyyyyy, be happpppyyyy, cozzz every little thingggggg is goingggg to be alrighttttt x

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

Yes thats the hotel. Very nice place. We got into town about 4.30pm so no time to visit any of the museums but we will be back at some point. Its the railcam that got us interested in Roanoke. My other half often has it on if we are home at the weekends. She likes NS livery hence why she bought a few locos at the train show.

Now on Amtrak but crawling behind a freight. At least the seats are waaay more comfortable than Thameslink worms! Buffet service is good too. Stocked up with the little milk containers, well half & half whihc is not bad in tea, so we can have tea with milk in the morning when we wake up.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Yes thats the hotel. Very nice place. We got into town about 4.30pm so no time to visit any of the museums but we will be back at some point. Its the railcam that got us interested in Roanoke. My other half often has it on if we are home at the weekends. She likes NS livery hence why she bought a few locos at the train show.

Now on Amtrak but crawling behind a freight. At least the seats are waaay more comfortable than Thameslink worms! Buffet service is good too. Stocked up with the little milk containers, well half & half whihc is not bad in tea, so we can have tea with milk in the morning when we wake up.

Just scrolled back on the railcam and the passenger backs in as a large freight passes. The passenger is there for about half an hour before departure

Can we find you in the footage somewhere?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

I wish I hadn't looked at those guitar pics posted earler... I really, really shouldn't have sold this rare beauty... the sounds that came out of it were otherworldy, despite the bridge operated wah-wah being kaput, the wiring was damaged but the switch for it still worked which added a fabulous compressed tone to all the other built in effects...

post-7638-0-38209500-1534081093_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-45618900-1534081327_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-59639200-1534081356_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-82374300-1534081405_thumb.jpg

I'd love another one some day, or maybe a Phantom XII Stereo...

post-7638-0-59354300-1534081699.jpg

post-7638-0-79463500-1534081736.jpg

post-7638-0-59898700-1534081779.jpg

• Like 15