The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Very nice indeed, a cracking Guitar, I had the cheaper version, (Epiphone), but still loved it to bits, should never have sold it / them. :no:  :no:

attachicon.gifDSC02155.JPG

My first Les Paul was also an Epiphone as well (sunburst, if I recall correctly) which I upgraded to a LP Standard in Wine Red. Compared with the Epiphone, the Gibson LP Standard was bloody heavy (in comparison, the LP Gold Top I now have has "modern weight relief" and is much lighter than my old Les Paul). My guitar tutor has the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa LP and very nice it is, indeed.

The only thing I really dislike about the Epiphones is the headstock they have on the Gibson Les Paul, SG and ES model copies. Unlike Fender, that has allowed its' Squier Range to use world renowned Fender Headstock shape, Gibson continues to insist on a non Gibson headstock for the LP copies. Actually, thinking about it (given that I have a Gibson to use as a template), I wonder if I should get an Epiphone Les Paul, whack on a Bigsby and see what fun I can have with a fretsaw and some black paint....

iD

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

But which ones?  PRS? Martin? Gibson ES335? Gretsch Falcon?

Try one of the new Taylor V Series which are accoustic, but have really changed the while concept with a totally new type of bracing.

Edited by 45156

I wish I hadn't looked at those guitar pics posted earler... I really, really shouldn't have sold this rare beauty... the sounds that came out of it were otherworldy, despite the bridge operated wah-wah being kaput, the wiring was damaged but the switch for it still worked which added a fabulous compressed tone to all the other built in effects...

attachicon.gifZVOX DSCF2200.JPG

attachicon.gifZVOX DSCF2198.JPG

attachicon.gifZVOX DSCF2197a.jpg

attachicon.gifZVOX DSCF2195.JPG

I'd love another one some day, or maybe a Phantom XII Stereo...

attachicon.gifVOX 5e3d708.jpg

attachicon.gifVOX 8be6.jpg

attachicon.gifVOX a95.jpg

With controls like Concorde, what could possibly go wrong on stage? :no:

Still very nice indeed.

• Like 10

Good afternoon All,

I am glad to see that (at least since yesterday) all are doing well. Kudos to ChrisF for "coming out" - which for us "oldsters" is something fraut with all the cultural baggage (and prejudices) that was inculcated into us in the late 50s, early 60s.

As for me? Although I am by far attracted to XX Chromosome carriers, but when it comes down to it I am a dyed-in-the-wool Misanthrope; heartily disliking people but quite liking certain - high quality - individuals (such as the 'Brains Trust" that occasionally meets up at the Princess of Shoreditch). Like Mmme Anne Louise Germaine de Staël-Holstein, "The more I see of men the more I like dogs".

Speaking of which (i.e. "The Brains Trust"). Would any of the usual suspects (bbishop, ChrisF, The Stationmaster, roundhouse, Unravelled, JohnDMJ) be available for a meet up at the Princess on Friday 14th September at 12:00? (of course Jamie92208 is most welcome, but we'll probably have to excuse him from the meetup on the account of him becoming French - quelle horreur!))

Having my own business at home can result in me having lots of fun with scammers and cold-call merchants. For the latter (and said when I don't recognise the number) "Hello?  XXXXX GmbH, how can I direct your call" either results in an immediate hang-up or - in the case of a true wrong number - a mumbled apology. For the scammers purporting to be from Microsoft, I let them ramble on for a bit then say something like "You know you've called XXXXX GmbH? - let me put you through to security" or "let me put you through to IT security" - a quick hangup ensues.

As mentioned earlier, now that the hot weather has broken I have got my Mojo back. This morning I managed to catalogue my kitchen stores (an extremely enthusiastic amatuer cook, I currently have 244 different tinned, in jar and dried items in my pantry - I can cook almost any cuisine you can think of...) and I dug out this baby:

attachicon.gifIMG_2734.jpg

Which was a reward to myself for having lost 30kg!1  It's a standard "70s Relic" Les Paul with a Goldtop finish (although I did replace the top-hat knobs with speed knobs [no sniggering in the back!!!]). Unfortunately, my fingertips have softened up a bit, so some daily practice is in order to toughen them up.

Having just sorted out some flights to Sri Lanka for an Ayuveda "thingy" Mrs iD is MOST insistent that I go on in October, I'll print out some "stuff"and then get out the velocipede and see how far 30 minutes of leisurely cycling takes me.

Have a splendiferous afternoon, Mes Amis

Stay Frosty Dudes!

iD

1 Now, I wonder what I should get myself when I hit the magic -60Kgs? (answers on a postcard...)

I am around 80kg and do not have a general practitioner of medicine  on my back!

I need to do some research as I have the 21st off but may be able to move it. Bu33er, that means any transactions will be in sterling not CHF.

Flavio, that date would be ideal for me.  I am attending a concert at the Union Chapel in the evening to mark the launch of the first new album by Gryphon for 41 years.

Chris

EDIT - one consequence of my trip to Bristol Pride is that I now own a shrill whistle which cost me £4.  It has a rainbow lanyard and could easily be put near the telephone for use should anyone be stupid enough to spam call me! 

Ordinarily, my shop dog tag would have a pure orange lanyard; mine is rainbow!

Good on ya ChrisF for finally realising admitting what you are!

I am out to my work colleagues and we can happily laugh and joke about it!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Just scrolled back on the railcam and the passenger backs in as a large freight passes. The passenger is there for about half an hour before departure

Can we find you in the footage somewhere?

Cheers,

Mick

No as we walked via the footbridge that the railcam is mounted on after the Amtrak had already reversed into the station so we would have been on the platform behind the train although I did walk up to the front to photo the loco about 10 minutes before departure.

• Like 13

I need to do some research as I have the 21st off but may be able to move it. Bu33er, that means any transactions will be in sterling.

(a) - If you can make it, great

(b) I can still do the transaction in CHF if you wish (and can come)

iD

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

No as we walked via the footbridge that the railcam is mounted on after the Amtrak had already reversed into the station so we would have been on the platform behind the train although I did walk up to the front to photo the loco about 10 minutes before departure.

Stalker...…

post-408-0-86341600-1534085738.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon All,

Speaking of which (i.e. "The Brains Trust"). Would any of the usual suspects (bbishop, ChrisF, The Stationmaster, roundhouse, Unravelled, JohnDMJ) be available for a meet up at the Princess on Friday 14th September at 12:00? (of course Jamie92208 is most welcome, but we'll probably have to excuse him from the meetup on the account of him becoming French - quelle horreur!))

I no longer have to think of a way to be out of the office for these meet ups so yes I can make it. Will need to load the layout the evening before as we have a show on the Saturday . It is local to us luckily.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Stalker...…

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Looks like two people standing there but it was just me at the time I stood there. I did see others taking photos as we approached the station.

but yes you stalker :onthequiet:

post-1557-0-24175400-1534086252_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-96361400-1534086297_thumb.jpg

EDIT

Just arrived into Charlottsville where there are more demonstrations due to it being a year today since the woman was killed by the person who drove a car into demonstrators to the right wing march. I can see helicopters flying above downtown

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The only time I was anywhere near a guitar, was my uncle Eugene's, he played guitar in an early version of the Trogs.

The plan for today worked, with the addition of mowing the main part of the lawn, before the weavers visit on Tuesday. The seaweed inspectors threat of heavy rain did not occur, however it's getting dark out there now.

The bad news is the alleyway that was being prepared to use as a mechanical workshop, is now being hijacked by SWMBO, as a felting/ weaving workshop / storage area.

The good news is In return I am offered half the double garage. The rebuild of the front, being pushed up to next on the list. (Both up and over doors have failed). I have a dislike of up and overs, I'm going to build good old fashioned swing doors, with heavy galvanised hinges on one side, with a bricked up front with a human door the other.

I am also being offered , since it was confirmed it won't fit on the shelves I built for it, the use of a shed (when moved) as a storage area for the Tiree layout. Since this will be my exhibition layout, the shed will be moved to near the garage. I suspect plans are being hatched by SWMBO for use of the, will be spare, shelves.

Meantime I need to design transport trolleys , that will fit in the shed, in the trailer I've bought.....and.... That WILL fit Tiree..

I've just phoned home, and my mother confirmed she's not well enough to travel. So We are now planning a trip to visit in September or October. Quite how Ben the Border Collie will take to a 400mile trip each way we don't know.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have done today what I said I would do, absolutely nothing (except for a bit of shopping). Rick, thanks for those pics of Portland Bill. I discovered when doing my family history that one branch of my family originated there, on the census the head of household is described as 'Unemployed quarryman'. I think that is about the time the prison opened, and he may have found his job being taken over by convicts. Not long afterwards the whole family moved to SE London where he found employment in the gasworks that was where the O2 centre stands. I would like to find out how they made the journey as being unemployed they could hardly afford the rail fares.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most.

Cricket rained off in Sessay so house work has been undertaken. Brownie points have been received.

Chinese take out ordered, collected and eaten.

Now for a nice drop of red methinks....

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I would've checked it funny but cannae bring myself to do it!

It isn't really funny at all, but I've seen it a few times from various sources over the years, and it is a bit worrying, particularly as Taylor cases are extremely sturdy.

It really was a brilliant way of getting back at United for the way they treated him and his luggage.  I believe that at one point it took 10% off the company share price. He's not a bad musician either.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Update on forecast for Bethesda (Joys of Life)

Seaweed forecasters : Double blobs until lunchtime   v  Blobs all day with thunder, lightning and sunshine 1200-1400

Who do you believe?

Pondering Polly

:scratchhead:

In the event, we went to Halfords to get a pair of grips to undo the petticoat pipe on the 5" 14xx then to Llanfairfechan for lunch and a read of some mags.

By then the weather had cleared up and we popped into Joys.  Everything was running smoothly, and the two signallers at either end ding dinging away merrily.

We left as it started to drizzle, happy in the thought we were not having to steam down a l*c* in the rain.  

Still cloudy but the sun is lighting up the horizon where it is raining.  

Star Wars IV.  Feel as if I know it backwards the number of times we watched it with the kids all those years ago.   

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

MoT on Friday afternoon. Can't wait to see the examiner's face when he sees it - last time I brought an old car to him was five years ago. Hope he remembers that a CX handbrake acts on the front wheels, not the rears....

I guess all you need to tell him is, „it’s French.“ He‘ll understand, doubtlessly. :mosking:

E‘ning all. Knackered after a birthday invitation followed by a visit to the zoo, so I’ll leave it at best wishes and thoughts as appropriate for tonight. See y‘all... :bye:

• Like 17

Flavio, that date would be ideal for me.  I am attending a concert at the Union Chapel in the evening to mark the launch of the first new album by Gryphon for 41 years.

Chris

EDIT - one consequence of my trip to Bristol Pride is that I now own a shrill whistle which cost me £4.  It has a rainbow lanyard and could easily be put near the telephone for use should anyone be stupid enough to spam call me! 

Flavio,

And for me too.  I will be just back from my holiday and could bring my laptop and USB stick.  There will be trains.  I still have an ACME Thunderer from my days as a rugby ref.  Kept by my phone and scammers get one warning - however, no lanyard!

Just back from Lord's.  We has a fairly sick patient and missed the end of the game.  But one comment:  Mr Dar had three referrals in one over and got all three correct; and two of them were pretty tough calls.

Just one 20-20 on Thursday, then another season is over.

Bill

• Like 4

Flavio,

And for me too.  I will be just back from my holiday and could bring my laptop and USB stick.  There will be trains.  I still have an ACME Thunderer from my days as a rugby ref.  Kept by my phone and scammers get one warning - however, no lanyard!

Bill

My FiL's old airhorn is on standby here, but thankfully since initialising TalkTalks 1472 call screener I probably won't need to use it.
  • Like 11