The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Junior Herbert has had an offer on a house accepted..ooh err! This hopefully means he finally moves his "stuff" out of the garage.

Don't hold your breath! (Says he who has three sons "out of the house" but still has rooms and cupboards full of "stuff" that isn't his.)

Good morning one and all

I’m back from Sidmouth, said he stating the bl33ding obvious!  I have now attended more than 40 of these festivals and every year I come away wondering how they can follow that.  This is a festival that runs on infinite improbability drive with impossible choices every day. Don’t tell everyone but I found myself with a pint in my hand, filled and refilled with real ale, from midday to midnight every day for a week.  On the way home I paid an extremely flying visit to RailWells.  I’d like to spend Sunday there but it is daft even by my standards to drive 200+ miles home from Sidmouth only to drive 150 miles back again.

Did I hint at breaking news last time I was here?  On my way to Sidmouth I came out to my aunt in Bristol.  I have been uncertain of my sexuality for as long as I can remember and I know only too well that others have had their suspicions.  To cut a very long story short, I have declared myself “not sure but not straight”.  This is not at all what I expected when I said “let’s see what happens” after Bristol Pride and I’m still making sense of it myself.  I’d like to say more tomorrow if that’s OK.

Warm thoughts as always to all in distress or missing.  I’m sorry I cannot be more specific at the moment but have you tried catching up with ERs after a week away?

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull start here and raining. There may be some drier and brighter intervals later.

I hope so because as I mentioned yesterday we're all off to Greenwich today. SiL Steve, Abbie Joe and Gemma are climbing the O2. This is a belated birthday treat for Joe (from February) and left until now in the hope of good weather. Looks like they might get wet.

https://tickets.aegeurope.com/upattheo2/climbs.html

I was invited but after a bit of thought decided that my knee and hip might cause some problems so will sit it out with rest of the party in a bar below!  :yes:

Have a good one.

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Busy day...and now it's chuckinitdarn.

Junior Herbert has had an offer on a house accepted..ooh err! This hopefully means he finally moves his "stuff" out of the garage.

Sleep well all!

Baz

The only way we managed it with our three was to move house and anything not removed went to the tip.   Good luck with you ambitions.

Nice and rusty behind Big Lick Brewery in Roanoke VA. Its apparently an M2 class steamer

As far as I now it's a 4-8-0 a very strange and almost unique wheel arrangement and 3 of them were stuck in a scrapyard from 1950. They got rescued about 10 years ago and that one belongs to .   It got rescued a few years ago but I've no idea what plans there are for it now.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

And not planning to move anywhere till the ibuprofen kicks in.

Yesterday's boat work involved lots of leaning in from outside, and effectively working upside down. This has paid havoc with my back and leg muscles feel like they are on the edge of cramp.

I have slowly walked with Ben the Border Collie round the garden, it's quite soggy.

With more rain forecast, SWMBO will get her way, as later she requires me sort my model railway stuff out of the mobile home. At the same time, I have to unload the scenically completed board 1 from the Land Rover, as a lot of building stuff from the Orange shed needs buying while the discount still applys.

One thought has occurred to me, I didn't take account of the rebuilt size when building the shelves it lives on. So a bit of measuring is required before its moved as its the heaviest..

I've never been to a music festival or come to that, to a disco. My ears are just too sensitive, if we go to a dinner that has a band, disco, or music system, I have to take ear plugs. Using the lawnmower it's ear defender time. At 60 years old having good hearing is an achievement, considering I have worked on fighter jets, though at the front end..

SWMBO is moving so Ben tells me, kettle on time...

• RMweb Premium

In 1894 Teignmouth had 26 pubs. Today we still have 16.

Is the Talbot among the pubs still open - when 30747 was about 20, she went there a few times for the jazz, while staying in Teignmouth on holiday.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Greetings from a damp village in North Lancs, where we have decided not to visit the A8 car boot this week, as even if it's on, the stuff will be wet, and there's unlikely to be many sellers standing. 

Welcome back Chrisf - good to hear from you again, and well done on coming out on RMWeb as well as to your auntie. 

Generic greetings are on offer to all who need them, as usual.

Back later perhaps after we've visited Gresgarth Hall gardens for a cup of tea and a cake, and a wander round the garden.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Chuckinitdarn!

Forgot to mention that we had a private fly past by the red arrows. Very low over the cricket ground and a lot of white smoke was trailed behind the second 4 aircraft.

Welcome back to our missing Ers. Still a few missing though. Fingers crossed they are OK.

Now, do I get ready for a trip to Sessay to umpire or.....

C u later

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Busy day...and now it's chuckinitdarn.

Sleep well all!

Baz

Sounds familiar.   Youngest is back with us after finishing at Uni but to be fair, darn good at sorting all that "stuff" to minimise impact.  Not a patch on our m*ddling "stuff"  - where did it all come from?  :jester:

Joys of Life railway Open Day in Bethesda, today and its WET!   Seems there is some contradiction between the seaweed forecasters: one says dry this morning, t'other says rain.  We might pop over later although some more rain is fast approaching from Anglesey.

Time to put kettle on.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to you all, after a night of torrential downpours, it is now sunny sur le rock, so the visit of friends to run the garden railway goes ahead.  I suspect it will not be as warm as at the garden railway Jamie is visiting though!

Best wishes to Chrisf too, I hope your turmoil will resolve itself going forward with positivity.

OK, off to tidy the garden (given up with the garage, it is beyond hope) for the guests.

Laters.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Update on forecast for Bethesda (Joys of Life)

Seaweed forecasters : Double blobs until lunchtime   v  Blobs all day with thunder, lightning and sunshine 1200-1400

Who do you believe?

Pondering Polly

:scratchhead:

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

I’m back from Sidmouth, said he stating the bl33ding obvious! On the way home I paid an extremely flying visit to RailWells. I’d like to spend Sunday there but it is daft even by my standards to drive 200+ miles home from Sidmouth only to drive 150 miles back again.Chris

Glad you had a good week Chris but didn't you think of camping for the night near RailWells? Edited by lightengine
  • Like 12

Is the Talbot among the pubs still open - when 30747 was about 20, she went there a few times for the jazz, while staying in Teignmouth on holiday.

Sadly the Talbot went in the 80's and some faceless, hideous flats were built in its place. It was a pub I never went in although I passed it often. I remember it advertising Stephane Grapelli on boards outside.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/devon/teignmouth_talbothotel.html

• Like 4

Nice and rusty behind Big Lick Brewery in Roanoke VA. Its apparently an M2 class steamer

Now where's that 'beautiful' button?

Don't hold your breath! (Says he who has three sons "out of the house" but still has rooms and cupboards full of "stuff" that isn't his.)

Our daughter arrived back last week, so all three here just now. Is it because we told them we're moving to a smaller house that they all want to reclaim a room?

Did I hint at breaking news last time I was here?  On my way to Sidmouth I came out to my aunt in Bristol.  I have been uncertain of my sexuality for as long as I can remember and I know only too well that others have had their suspicions.  To cut a very long story short, I have declared myself “not sure but not straight”.  This is not at all what I expected when I said “let’s see what happens” after Bristol Pride and I’m still making sense of it myself.  I’d like to say more tomorrow if that’s OK.

Nice one, Chris! One of my brothers-in-law came out a while ago - but when you live in London and work in the theatre it's probably a lot easier. Still tough for him at the time, though. So good on you, Chris.

• Like 14

Good morning all

Wet and overcast here the now, but looks like it's clearing up from the west.

John Lewis not quite the same as M&S because as well as selling its own-brand goods it also sells other brands (I know M&S sells other brands in its Food Halls); JL also tries to pay all invoices to manufacturers within 30 days (and usually gets a small % reduction for so doing) to keep on top of things, unlike House of Fraser which has left £400m of unpaid bills behind. Wonder about the knock-on effect of that and how many additional jobs will be lost as a result? And that knocks-on to other retailers where the jobless used to spend their hard-earned. Bleak or what?

Anyway, nothing planned festival-wise today, just sorting out stuff to get the house on the market once I can get into the room where daughter has pitched up...

Have a dry day

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We went to Enfield on Thursday this week but we are returning today. Just after we departed on Thursday some of MiL’s relatives said they would come and visit her today. Which is why we went shopping again yesterday. Aditi offere to make some scones (the relatives like scones) but MiL vetoed that idea as “inappropriate”.So Aditi said she would make carrot halwa. That too was vetoed as MiL said she didn’t know how good Aditi’s halwa was. Aditi did mutter something about her Mum not complaining when she last had it here!

I always enjoy reading ChrisF’s morning tales,of musical and railway excursions. Welcome back.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well done Chris, may things take whatever course you wish them to take.  Now to pubs - in my youth the town here had 35 of them and it was physically impossible to have a drink in every one of them, plus the several hotel bars, in a single 5 hour evening (5 hours of evening opening time) and we also had an excellent brewery.  Now in terms of traditional pubs we really only have the one that isn't also some sort of eatery but we have several (four) which are also eateries as well as decent watering holes and another bunch of them have become 'wine bar' type establishments although they hardly count as proper pubs, and we have a micro-brewery.   But in reality that is nothing because if you go back to 1910 the town not only had three breweries but reputedly as many as 70 pubs and I can remember 4 which closed before I reached drinking age so I wouldn't be surprised if there were once even more.

Meanwhile the weather gods have again smiled on us and we have had a further wetting of rain - 'a nice soft day' as I think the Irish would describe it and definitely good for the garden and topping up the waterbutts.

Enjoy your day one and all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all

Wet and overcast here the now, but looks like it's clearing up from the west.

John Lewis not quite the same as M&S because as well as selling its own-brand goods it also sells other brands (I know M&S sells other brands in its Food Halls); JL also tries to pay all invoices to manufacturers within 30 days (and usually gets a small % reduction for so doing) to keep on top of things, unlike House of Fraser which has left £400m of unpaid bills behind. Wonder about the knock-on effect of that and how many additional jobs will be lost as a result? And that knocks-on to other retailers where the jobless used to spend their hard-earned. Bleak or what?

Anyway, nothing planned festival-wise today, just sorting out stuff to get the house on the market once I can get into the room where daughter has pitched up...

Have a dry day

Mal

The Waitrose part of the John Lewis empire is definitely going through difficult times.  They have cutback hard on distribution costs and contract labour and this is clearly affecting what can be (or more typically not be) found on the shelves in their shops plus they also seem to be cutting back on quality in many areas with a greater concentration on their 'Essentials' range.