The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Would that be Mr Schwab's emporium? My one and only highway blow out was on the I90 coming into Spokane way back in 78. Excellent service and as I remember equally good free coffee while I waited for them to fit a new tire. I actually ended up replacing all 4 as they had a sale on. 

There's one in town. Oddly, I've found the service at that particular one to be a bit underwhelming.

We were fortunate to avoid a minor catastroff driving up I-15 in Utah a few years back. We had a big Penske moving van full of stuff and there was a trailer with a car on it hitched behind the van.

We pulled off for fuel and something to eat and a guy came up to us and pointed out that treads on the trailer's tires were about to disintegrate. He wasn't kidding. I doubt if they would have lasted another 100 miles.  He worked for a tire place right there. We went for lunch while they replaced the tires. The tires didn't cost us anything - they billed Penske.

• Like 17

As it wasn’t raining here today, after I had done enough crawling under floorboards, Mrs G and I went for a walk around our usual circuit. Down at the beach we saw a helicopter, which turned out to be the Cumbria Air Ambulance, and was there because a paraglider had crashed into a cliff. The helicopter flew off shortly after we had walked by, with the injured man on board, probably heading for Preston. It seems that he had tried to take off by running to edge of the cliff and jumping off, hoping to catch the wind etc in his sail, but simply fell down onto some boulders. We don’t know how badly he was hurt, but is hopefully recovering. In looking for news of him, Mrs G found a short item in the local newspaper, along with a photo of the Air Ambulance. However, in the background Mrs G and I can be seen continuing our walk towards the cliffs:

http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/Paraglider-flown-to-hospital-by-air-ambulance-ad9bc0c9-7ea1-449c-abe7-9e9be5288a42-ds

• Like 3

Nasty smoke from the wild fires and very hot here. It was 39C when I was in town but it's "only" 35C here. The lake and the trees help. It would probably be even hotter if there was no smoke.

• Like 1

Nasty smoke from the wild fires and very hot here. It was 39C when I was in town but it's "only" 35C here. The lake and the trees help. It would probably be even hotter if there was no smoke.

We've had wildfire smoke moderate high temperatures for the last few days. Instead of 37°C it's been 35°C with red sunrises and sunsets through the pall.

Having flown up from Southern California on Tuesday evening, most of California and Oregon was completely obscured by wildfire smoke. No distinguishable landmarks were visible once reaching the middle of California's central valley.

The next few days will be cooler here, including the weekend. The forecast actually includes a chance of showers on Saturday morning. I'll believe that when I see it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Returned home after 30 days away.  7 phone messages and 47 (or so) missed calls. A few usefule calls (dentist) and one from the insurance company and a bunch from a guy who, I think, wanted me to put him in touch with my attorney. One person recited a phone number twice.  The insurance company, for the aluminuminum sheets that had blown off, apparently hadn't heard back from the tradesmen they sent after us, or understood the other messages that we had had it fixed for less than the deductible. We are now down on their sheets as "no claims".

When we arrived home there were cars parked in front of our place and the next house, just where we put the motorhome for unloading, so we parked in front of our driveway and the neighbour's. He didn't come home, but a truck from LaZ boy* stopped directly opposite to unload, leaving a small single lane between. * I try to annoy the hoi palloi by pronouncing it "Lah Zed Boy".

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour to all from the Charente where it was in the teens overnight but is due to get into the higher 20's during the day.   Shortly I'll be off to Bordeaux for a day's train and tram spotting but will also just happen to call at Ikea.  I think that I can manage.  Then when I get home we are going round to some neighbours for fish and chips.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is cooler at last!

We had a pretty heavy storm last night, but although heavy rain was forecast, all we saw was around half an hour of steady rain.  The wind was incredible though - fortunately, we seem to have weathered the storm reasonably well, and the temperature is in the low 20s this morning.

A quiet weekend is planned, but believe it or not, I have another funeral to go to.  This time a 40 year old friend who also lost his fight against cancer. 

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

. He didn't come home, but a truck from LaZ boy* stopped directly opposite to unload, leaving a small single lane between. * I try to annoy the hoi palloi by pronouncing it "Lah Zed Boy".

You could confuse them further by saying "Lah Izzard Boy", Izzard being the third pronounciation of Z before the UK standardised on Zed, rather than Zee or Izzard.

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Definately cooler this Morning, as Ben the Border Collie was in hIs bed... (21C on the Thermometer)

I awoke this morning to more pain from my right ankle, I suspect like all my other old injuries, it will show up more as it gets colder.

OK who did that to my nice light brown ground in the garden?.... I looked out the window this morning and someone had painted it all green..

I suspect the mower will have to be dug out shortly..

Driving in this morning, I came to the conclusion when I start this winter's season of sailing I'd better tell my current winter sailing companion He'd better look out for a new crew for next year. I've made the decision, that by winter next year my sailing boat will be ready for use. So from then, I'll sail the summer season, followed by the winter season up till Christmas. After that my boat will come out of the water January, Feburary, March, each year for annual maintenance. (I'd better sort out some heat for the boat shed to allow that to happen!!)

On the way In, I also caught a glimpse of the car that took a flyer off the NDR roundabout, it's large estate possibly a Peugeot, so that would suggest he probably lost the back end, oversteered and flew through the tapes before ditching..

Well it's current shunt's this morning, and in a minute or so this one will have warmed up.

Time to... type some numbers...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Robert, very sorry to hear about your friend. Not something you need at the moment and that is far to young to die.

Rained for most of the day yesterday and we had a brief thunderstorm last night. The sun is shining at the moment and I'm glad to say.it is much cooler However today's forecast promises heavy blustery showers with thunderstorms and hail possible along with some sunny periods.

Some domestic tasks and a walk to the chemist to pick up a prescription scheduled this morning. After that who knows but my mower can feel safe in the knowledge that it will stay in the shed.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

A quick look in before the onslaught! They’ll be hear any minute, we’re looking forward to them coming with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. I expect it will be a bit hectic, with a few tantrums thrown in.

I’ll not be on here much throughout the day, probably not until later this evening.

Robert. Sorry to read about your friend.

Back later

• Like 16

Morning fellow ER's from a very quiet Matlock Bath. I am here early for a couple of deliveries and I am just relaxing the morning away with a cup of coffee, catching up on emails with a DCC Sound fitted loco simmering away in the background. I have never felt more relaxed!! I really hope the business takes off because I could get used to this.

Robert - I am shocked and saddened to hear about your friend's passing. You really are having a bad run. My thoughts to you, and also the family of the departed.

Brian - I have just seen your post and, despite having had breakfast, I feel hungry again!

Mick (NB) - It sounds like you had an enjoyable day of golf despite the result. Hopefully your upcoming matches will produce better results.

As for today - apart from the deliveries, I need to contact the doctors to try and get an appointment for my review. I need to get one more sick note to cover me until the end of the month according to the school. Perhaps I should get him to check my memory - last night I sent out the shop newsletter to all the website subscribers and forgot to attach the document to the email. That is the second successive time I have failed to attach the document - senility setting in. Perhaps when Sarah does the memory walk next month she should do it in aide of me!

Have a good day.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The Forecast for today is wet, according to Arfur Itis, the seaweed wranglers mearly confirmed that prediction. Nothing planned for this weekend but next weekend on the Sunday I will be visiting the East Anglia Transport Museum, and if we have time we might take in the 'Middy' on the way home. The dream was to take in both of those together with the Ipswich Transport Museum and the Long Shop Museum all in one day, just about doable if I was a bit younger but not any more. Sorry to hear of your friends death Robert, as GDB said its no age to die. C & C's where neccessary, muggatee 3 awaits, be back later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When I first scanned that, I thought it said 'microwave..... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  

Wishful thinking on my part Neal,  me thinks.  :jester:

Morning All

I'm feeling a bit better today the swelling has gone down a bit more overnight, I can't believe what these modern

drugs do to you almost as good as taking neat cyanide, I had a text from the surgery this morning asking how

did we do, the phone started to smoke with while I was typing a reply most of the words got censored I bet.

Her has been nice to me  :angel:  this morning she made my breakfast, "toast" spose it's better than nothing.

Here's me looking forward to a fun packed day today we should have been  motoring to Wells this morning 

I'm glad I cancelled the hotel in time. later I will be playing with a Styrofoam cutter I've already brunt some skin

off my hand putting it together yesterday. :umbrage:

enjoy your day U.N. Well   :resent:

Edited by 81C

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

The weekend has begun! So this morning I shall be editing my novel, and then this afternoon heading out to see Ant-man and the Wasp

Robert, sorry to hear of your news; I hope you enjoy a period of tranquillity sometime in the very near future.

Kind regards alternating at the push of a button between minuscule and enormous proportions;

Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• Like 16