The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I suspect that a small piece of debris has got stuck in a valve, probably in a water cistern. We had the same thing a few years ago, when I changed the valve in the hot water header tank it stopped!

We don't have a tank Brian. Its mains out of all 3 cold taps and straight into the boiler. It also affects the over bath shower we have as the hot water seems to drop off at times even though the boiler is working.

Some posts here around up turned vehicles and other road nastiness. There seems to be a general increase in stupidity on the roads as of late. The stretch of A2 between Danson and the M25 is rife with scrap metal these days. The eastbound junction with the A2018 seems to attract cars that like sleeping up side down. I've seen at least a dozen in the past year where the driver hasn't made the exit and managed to flip over back onto the A2. Westbound A2 has had a recent outbreak of BBQ car syndrome. In the past 3 weeks, 3 car fires all with the burning vehicle at the side of the road within 300 yds of each other. As you approach the Black Prince interchange you can see the 3 black spots on the hard shoulder. Bizarre. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

the term "Pigs Fly" ..... I left that to my daughter  :tender:  to explain that one.

It is easily explained with reference to a famous musical ensemble and a large (former) power station ;)

post-3305-0-74292900-1533813986.jpg

What is also well documented is the fact that the inflated pig did indeed fly.  It broke loose from its tether and drifted into Heathrow air space to the extreme consternation of the air traffic authorities though it was eventually recovered by a farmer in Kent.

Pigs do fly.  Well at least one did, once.

In other news the sky continues to leak copiously which has not dampened the enthusiasm of many thousands of young people bound for a festival near Winchester today.  In vests and shorts (both of which would be a generous description in some cases) and laden down with multiple backpacks, tents and other camping and social interaction paraphernalia (electronic devices, large quantities of alcohol and at least one packet of protectives which was found - unopened - later on the platform :O ) they tried gamely to squeeze aboard train after train, not all achieving success on the first or second occasions.  It seems no-one from the organisers had bothered to tell anyone that they expected most of the 80,000 people to travel by train this morning .........  

Fair warning - they are coming back on Sunday!

I have the nice letter I had been expecting from HMRC confirming that I paid too much tax last year and kindly inviting me to apply for every penny of it back.  That I shall do in the next few minutes after this message.  Priorities, y'know ;)

Best wishes to all; special thoughts with Robert.  

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes Ian, exchange rates working against us at the moment. Will have to be careful what we purchase at Fridays train show here in KC.

More hot weather and railfanning today.

This video was taken at West Bottoms outside Docs Caboose where the railcam is situated and its a good model shop aswell.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I think a man is on the roof, with a hose, water has been coming down the drain pipes inside the building all day.

I don't think any hippos are involved, I certainly hear the elephants when they are up there..

9.988550  G Ohms standard deviation 3.4ppm so still too high....

That's it expose it on RMweb and it settles

9.988684 G Ohms

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

We don't have a tank Brian. Its mains out of all 3 cold taps and straight into the boiler. It also affects the over bath shower we have as the hot water seems to drop off at times even though the boiler is working.

But I bet there’s a valve in the toilet cistern!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon

It’s a good job I stayed in this morning, as the parcel that we were expecting arrived around 10:00! So, once both cakes were out of the oven, I trotted off to the Trafford Centre to get the stuff we’d normally buy on Friday, as we won’t be able to do it tomorrow and there’s NO WAY we’re taking all three of the grandkids there tomorrow! On my way home I called at the butchers for our weekly meat rations, picking up one of the last few pasties. Whilst there I was chatting with the manager and he told me that he’d made 150 pork pies this morning, by 10:30, they’d all gone! Now I know they are very good pies, but that’s ridiculous!

Not much planned for the rest of the afternoon, I think I’ll put my feet up and do a spot of eyelid inspection.

• Like 19

Morning all.

It is a very pleasant morning, clear blue sky with a gentle breeze. There is some cloud to the southwest. If Mike’s vessel does visit the Thames Estuary he should have some calm seas to observe the lovely coast. I wondered if Trinity House deal with bouys in the Port of London Authority area. There is a marker at Chalkwell in Southend showing where the PLA rules end.

Tony

Tony, even in my 1960's days in the PLA River Department the limits went way out in the Estuary beyond Sea Reach No.1 buoy to the North Sea and took over the Admiralty's former responsibilities covering entry to the Orwell as well as the Medway.   Today's PLA is in charge of all Thames pilotage from Trinity House - PLA pilots board at Dover.   The marker at Chalkwell was the foreshore boundary, PLA to west and County Borough of Southend to the east.

• Like 1

Afternoon all

No rain here today, bright, sunny and fresh instead. Blue skies.

Robert, I'm glad that everything well at your dad's funeral last Friday, and that you're safely back in Germany.

Rick, thanks for posting the pic of you and Tatjana; life throws some nasty things at us sometimes. Great to see you both smiling.

Took my mum to see Maureen Lipman last night. She was very good with wonderful monologues. Also in attendance were Harry Shearer (Mr Burns, Spinal Tap) on bass, and Jacqui Dankworth on vocals. Very entertaining.

Meantime, still sorting books... will it ever end...

Have a good evening

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from a pleasantly warm but breezy village that's 108 miles away from Ikea.   How do I know that. Simples, WE, have agreed that WE need another bookcase to match the existing ones and also need a towel storage rack in the bathroom.   Solution, I drive to Bordeaux in the morning and buy the offending items.   I will obviously need to consume some Scottish Medicine tonight to inoculate myself from any potential infections.     However it give me a good excuse to see the tram system and to have a ride through to the station and see some trains so I think it's worthwhile.

Anyway the day has gone fairly well.   The dining room was tidied, the wardrobe parts were carried over but await assembly.  I then started to put the Grandfather clock together.   Unfortunately in transit the mechanism case had lost some securing pins and several gears fell out into the bubble wrap when I unwrapped it.  I retrieved all the pieces and now have it to put back together.   How the heck does one hold 8 spindles in perfect alignment while putting the final brass sheet on.    All good fun.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Tony, even in my 1960's days in the PLA River Department the limits went way out in the Estuary beyond Sea Reach No.1 buoy to the North Sea and took over the Admiralty's former responsibilities covering entry to the Orwell as well as the Medway.   Today's PLA is in charge of all Thames pilotage from Trinity House - PLA pilots board at Dover.   The marker at Chalkwell was the foreshore boundary, PLA to west and County Borough of Southend to the east.

Is there an equivalent marker on the Kent side? Southend has been through a few changes. It stopped being a County Borough, but having been part of Essex again it is now a unitary authority. We Essex residents can’t use things like recycling facilities in Southend. I don’t think Southend is getting its own police force back!

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

And greetings from a sunny North Lancashire, where rain was forecast for parts of the day, but it didn't happen quite as predicted, and also the forecast t-storms didn't either.

Robert, I'm pleased that your dad's funeral went well and that you managed to complete your eulogy.

RIck - thanks for posting the image of you and Tatjana (and sorry that this is a me too).

Went to Leighton Hall this afternoon, as it's (a) local and (b) free to HHA members - I do wonder how folks can afford to visit some of these houses, as the admission is often over a tenner a head nowadays, and the HHA membership starts to make a lot of sense at £80 for a couple at the same address for a year.  For anybody who does like visiting these, it is heartily recommended, as is membership of the National Trust, though I have now joined the National Trust for Scotland, as they give a reduced membership for over 60s, and also you can pay it monthly by Direct Debit.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Of course. Because this rain has never fallen before. ;)

I’ll get my (rain)coat

Oh, but you never know how many atoms of hydrogen and oxygen are actually forwarded from one precipitation and evaporation cycle into the next. I’m sure there are studies to that effect... :jester:

Which brings me to the most welcome message of today:

RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

• Like 17

Of course. Because this rain has never fallen before. ;)

Oh, but you never know how many atoms of hydrogen and oxygen are actually forwarded from one precipitation and evaporation cycle into the next. I’m sure there are studies to that effect...

Indeed it probably has fallen before countless times.

Indeed some of it has no doubt flushed toilets and passed through bladders before reaching you.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Sunny again, but nice at 20c and a breeze.  Like wot a Fraggle Rock summer should be.

We're life members of Manx National Heritage, gives reciprocal access to NT etc and leads to interesting conversations in many places! 

Oh except the jobsworth 'lady' at one NT property, who stood and flatly denied us access.  It was one of those timed access jobs, and we had booked ahead for our timeslots, after discussing MNH reciprocal agreements.....with this 'lady's' manager. When we pointed out the tickets on a clip with our names on, she still wanted to charge.  So it was 'speak to your manager' time, who was the lady we had originally spoken to, and was pleased to see us and promptly ripped the first person a new one. #sigh#  Needless hassle, but the gathered crowd enjoyed the spectacle, it would appear the jobsworth was well known for her 'helpful' attitude......

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Her has stuck her head in the mancave :threaten:  to have a look on the weather radar we were surounded by black clouds

earlier and they have all past over so she will be watering the garden while she's outside I'm left in peace.

Today was an achievement with my stubby fingers I put together 2 peco "N" wagon chassis complete with 009

couplings, the bodies are a custom job made from Plasticard & Evergreen angled strips progress is slow as I'm

making them up as I go along once airaresoled I will display them on here. :boast:

I'm a bit miffed with fleebay today I went on too late and I missed a bridge kit so one will be hand lashed from some

Knightwing girder trusts and a thick Wills wooden plank sheet with Wills random stone sheets for the abutments. :declare: 

must get on  :superman:  Robert the Builder  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Its been a damp day today, slightly less humid as well. It was pouring when I went down to Tesco's where they were selling old stock at knock down prices, bath sheets at £3 a time. I would like to have grabbed one or two but one woman had grabbed the lot, about two dozen piled up in a shopping trolly. I did manage to pick up a couple of hand towels and a bath mat at bargain prices however. The slugs, or as it seems the slug had returned, I looked up and there it was crossing the lounge floor, so out with the kitchen roll and a good dose of salt and it was goodby Mr. Slug. At least they don't grow as big as the ones in the tropics. Many years ago I spent a holiday in Barbados, the hotel was a series of chalets in a large garden. One night I awoke to see in the moonlight something large and dark crawling up the wall. Upon switching on the light it was the biggest slug I'd ever seen, this one was about 8 inches long and an inch in girth. I later discovered that they could sometimes grow to a foot in length.

• RMweb Premium

Her has stuck her head in the mancave :threaten:

Snip<

must get on  :superman:  Robert the Builder  :biggrin_mini2:

When I first scanned that, I thought it said 'microwave..... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  

• Like 1

Got half way through sawing up a fir tree that died when my chainsaw threw its chain. It's galling. No, I mean it really is galling. The chain is seizing in the track. Must make sure the oil passage isn't blocked.

Got half way through sawing up a fir tree that died when my chainsaw threw its chain. It's galling. No, I mean it really is galling. The chain is seizing in the track. Must make sure the oil passage isn't blocked.

Don't need a blocked passage, especially when sawing