The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all, hope all's well,

Just a quickie before I disappear up the apples and pears for a spot of DIY...

Forty nine years ago today : The Beatles trotted across the zebra crossing in Abbey Road while photographer Ian McMillan took six photographs of them for the famous LP cover, five of the photos were rejected as only one showed them walking in sic. Meanwhile thousands of miles away, some of Charles Manson's misguided followers committed their awful crimes up in the Californian hills the same evening.

Fifty five years ago today : Driver Jack Mills and secondman David Whitby's train, 1M44 Glasgow - Euston postal was stopped and robbed by a gang of thieves at Sears Crossing in Buckinghamshire.

Funny old thing, time.

Edited by Rugd1022

Afternoon all, hope all's well,

Just a quickie before I disappear up the apples and pears for a spot of DIY...

Forty nine years ago today : The Beatles trotted across the zebra crossing in Abbey Road while photographer Ian McMillan took six photographs of then for the famous LP cover, five of the photos were rejected as only one showed them walking in sic. Meanwhile thousands of miles away, some of Charles Manson's misguided followers committed their awful crimes up in the Californian hills the same evening.

Fifty five years ago today : Driver Jack Mills and secondman David Whitby's train, 1M44 Glasgow - Euston postal was stopped and robbed by a gang of thieves at Sears Crossing in Buckinghamshire.

Funny old thing, time.

Whilst we are talking about parking and time flying, 49 years ago, Senator Ted Kennedy parked his car in the water at Chappaquidick.

Good afternoon from the model shop! After warm sunshine this morning, the rain has started to fall quite heavily. I think I will be in trouble. I left home this morning and forgot to leave Amber's car seat behind. That may mean Sarah and Amber will not get their lift to her swimming lesson! It may be a good idea to hang on here a bit longer to hold off the inevitable telling off I will get when I get home! That, at least, will give me a little more time to play with the DCC Sound fitted Jinty I have running on my Skaleby West layout in the shop. I will try and post a link to a video later.

I hope today finds you well. Talk of Sidmouth does make me wonder how full Chris' famed hessian bag has become during his latest visit. He must have a very large and varied musical collection these days.

Best wishes

Andy

Good evening, and a quick pop in now I am back onto my laptop. Andy.P asked for photos so here are a small selection. Thanks to Peter BB who posted the photo of the outside of the shop earlier - but I will repeat it for context:

attachicon.gifUnit-3-The-George-Centre-North-Parade-Matlock-Bath-Derbyshire_8VNU9.jpg

The shop front, viewed from the courtyard. The shop is down a small alleyway as part of the George Centre. There is a nice tea room in the courtyard with a selection of old bicycles on display. The address is Unit 3, The George Centre, 30 North Parade, Matlock Bath, Derbyshire, DE4 3NS….

That looks spookily similar to the AGR Model Railway Shop's courtyard location in Leighton Buzzard

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That looks spookily similar to the AGR Model Railway Shop's courtyard location in Leighton Buzzard

And there was me thinking it looked like an offshoot of Diagon Alley so perhaps it ought to be call A 9 3/4 B

Jamie

Ahh, parking. The bane of life in most places. We're very fortunate in that we have a private alley way and most people park around back. There is a car dealer nearby that takes up many of the side street spaces but the council is in the middle of making them resident permit parking. That should get rid of that problem. Out front is all yellow lines and a bus stop for good measure. Our alley is also a designated LFB access point. That means even though it is private property, many little private properties actually, a call to the council and any illegally parked vehicle is removed very quickly. The newest owner of the nearby car dealership discovered that to his expense soon after he tried parking a couple of his "products" outside of a neighbour's garage. Both cars vanished within 30 mins of the phone call I'm told. 

The saga of the builders continues. They were supposed to finish this week (revised again, and again, and again) after the plasterers wrapped up last Friday. No sight, no calls, nothing until this morning with a rather sh1t text apology and assurance that they've be back next Wednesday. Solicitor thinks I have grounds to just dismiss them and recover any costs for having to get another contractor to complete. However, she also says by the time I get someone to start work the existing ones may actually have done something. The decision has been made that if they don't show up on Wednesday, don't complete 5 working days later, and clean up the snag list, we will terminate them and file in small claims for costs. We'll also be reducing the final payment (if any) by the cost of the extra 8 weeks storage we've had to pay for their fcuking about. This will be 34 days wasted. If anyone wants a recommendation of a SE London builder NOT to use, I'll be happy to provide the name in a DM. Useless little c**tpuffin. 

Re parking, here's one part of our municipality's (extensive) "Street, Parking and Public Places" bylaw:

6.3.5 No person shall park a motor vehicle adjacent to the

residential property of another person, upon any highway

within the City for a period of more than three hours.

Visitors to our next door neighbours appear not to know of this bylaw but, since we park in our carport, it doesn't worry us too much.

• Like 5

Forty nine years ago today : The Beatles trotted across the zebra crossing in Abbey Road while photographer Ian McMillan took six photographs of them for the famous LP cover, five of the photos were rejected as only one showed them walking in sic.

Funny old thing, time.

And I shall pass within 22 yards of the Abbey Road crossing crack of dawn tomorrow, on my way to Lord's.  Four days of the test match, so I'll be missing from here.

Keep well and still keep hydrated.

Bill

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Came home via a big orange shed, had it confirmed the old gits card will only work on gardening items from 3rd Sept. Me thinks I need to get my big orders sorted before then. I think it bad form I found out about this third hand, no notice in the orange shed or email to me..

On leaving the orange place, I found a near flat front tyre, the same tyre that went down a couple of weeks ago. I topped up the tyre to get me to my favourite tyre place, as it was near worn out I elected to replace it, and the other front. Though I'll have to wait to replace that till Monday.

It's still hot in here 27C in here now.

On somewhat better news, a new book arrived about the MSWJR, this along with, an article about a loco in RM magazine I have some reading to do.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Who mentioned rain? Ten minutes of it today just to get me wet....games completed though.

Two more games to come....

Glad the trip went well Mike.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A lot cooler and fresher today thankfully. Luckily my friends young lad is just tall enough not to require a child seat/booster cushion, when we measured him last year he just scraped in by a few millimetres and of course he's grown a bit since. Must be off now for the club meeting, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been a busy old day! As I mentioned yesterday, straight after breakfast I went to the big orange DIY shed and bought a few bits and pieces, hopefully I’ll get a discount voucher soon and I’ll then return to get the rest of the stuff I want. Once home I made a start on lifting the patio, as one or two flags have slipped. As I intend to reuse all the flags, as I’ve lifted each one, I’ve cleaned and stacked them neatly ready for reuse. So far I’ve lifted and cleaned around 25% of them, it’s been slow as we had a couple of showers this afternoon. Not a lot will be done now until weekend as I have to stay indoors tomorrow in case a parcel arrives, so I’ll make good use of my time by baking a couple of cakes. On Friday we have Ava, Evie and Max all day, as it’s Ian's Grandad’s funeral, which is being held in Stoke. They will get here around 9:30 and will be with us until early evening, so we are feeding them at dinner time and tea time, we haven’t done that for over 6 years! No doubt we’ll be jibbering idiots by the time they go home.

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Nice steady day at work, Bob's violin safely away.

Q, we got an e mail from the orange store, (the Q of which was a Manxman) about the cards reduction to garden stuff only.

Sunny et windy here, with not a lot else to report really, avoiding the T word. 

Glad you had an interesting voyage Mike, although it seems you didn't get many sea miles in.  The Patricia survives another year?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yo all

I went to the Quackerie Surgery this afternoon I saw a senior Quackess who has decided to take me off this new drug 

for 6 weeks to allow my system to stablise I looked like Horace house Collar this morning with a swollen neck  :nea:

and I'd gone completely deaf I couldn't hear one word SWBMO said to me this morning . :yahoo:

My hearing has returned and the swelling has gone down now, next Wednesday I will be attended by some scanners 

who will check me out these are normally Army/MOD medical staff :crazy:  :crazy: the gov't put in the hospitals around here guaranteed

to be on the ball here's hoping. :sclerosis:

enjoy your evening  :superman: F Stein

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Life ticks along Upon the Hill of Strawberries. I have located the photo of myself and my recently-passed walking companion Tatjana. This shall be worn in her memory as I mentioned above this coming Saturday. Her many friends now all seem to be aware of the news and all have reacted with the predictable shock and grief.

Friday is pay day. Tomorrow is a case of too much month at the end of the money.

post-3305-0-79354000-1533754905_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

SW Water separated our water supply from a neighbouring building back in April. Ever since then turning the cold water on has resulted in what can only be described as a Thunder Roar noise like heavy noisy machinery travelling nearby. This morning the kitchen floor vibrated as I played the noise down the phone to the SWW operative. She suggested it could be our problem/fault. I suggested it could be because of their work as it had not happened previously and asked if it was the pressure.

Tonight we had a call to make an appointment to come here. When I questioned if there was a charge I was told no its why you pay for your water.

I await their visit to establish the cause of the Thunder Roar.

• RMweb Gold

Reading of Stationmaster's return to these shores reminds me that on this day in 1966 I was into the first full day (having left Southampton the previous evening) of my journey on the P & O Chitral to Hong Kong to start my contract with The Chartered Bank (previously of India, Australia and China and now Standard Chartered)on September 5th, 1966.

At that time I did not really know what I had let myself in for, had never lived away from home …. and there I was, having signed a four year contract, on a ship bound for the other side of the world.....

Things you do when you are young!

Keith

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Nice steady day at work, Bob's violin safely away.

Q, we got an e mail from the orange store, (the Q of which was a Manxman) about the cards reduction to garden stuff only.

Sunny et windy here, with not a lot else to report really, avoiding the T word. 

Glad you had an interesting voyage Mike, although it seems you didn't get many sea miles in.  The Patricia survives another year?

Definitely not one for sea miles this time Neil especially with just under 47 hours of the week spent swinging round the anchor chain on the Cork Anchorage.  But the coast from Harwich to The Wash north of Lowestoft was new to us even if the 50 miles out into the North Sea to the wreck of the Jacoba Aliijda wasn't and going up river to the Pilot Station at Gorleston was interesting for shipping on Monday (assuming you like the peculiarly shaped vessels with huge bows and for'ard accommodation which are now more or less de rigeur for rig and platform servicing on the North Sea - all being well a picture of an IoM registered one will appear before too long).  

And it definitely got a bit cooler yesterday with some spectacular lightning moving north off Great Yarmouth last night.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The Q mentioned a favourite tyre place. I had a flat tyre last Friday. The first tyre place I phoned up in Attleborough just were not interested and showed no enthusiasm at all and wouldn’t have been able to investigate whether or not it was a puncture for a few days. So I phoned up a place in Wymondham who assured me whether it was repairable or not they would get it sorted. They did.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16