The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Keep your eye peeled for JTT scenics their trees are the dogs the guy who had the concession chucked it in so tread lightly.

Thanks for the information. I have my own concession to unveil but not at liberty to announce it yet,

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Already gone a day without electricity due to updating the system in the village, we then had a phone call at 9am, saying there was a burst pipe in the vicinity and they were shutting off our water supply.  Two days last week we made alternative arrangements to have lunch out but managed to take advantage of the situation and put in another of our walks.

Saturday, was a relaxing day for me down at West Shore, not too hot and with refreshing breeze.  I was asked to take over driving a couple of times - four laps each on the two electrics.  Quite busy now it is school hols with decent weather. 

Moving onto today.  We drove out of the village to go shopping and saw electricity cables lying across the telephone wires - they had put up these new cables recently.  Now, they were taking all the cables off the poles and attaching them to new poles!  At least that is a bit better than a year or two ago when they put up new poles, not instead of, but as well as the old ones, doubling up down through the village.  Find me in Pole City.  :jester:  

And, no, I will not be sitting down with sketch book and using them for perspective practice.

I I I    I I I I  :paint:  :mail:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vDcpHbVOCqc/URF4OMpDgbI/AAAAAAAAAFM/FmoT0cmOW8Y/s1600/SDC13137.JPG

• Like 19

Yes I hope so. I am booked to attend a European show in Birmingham on 29th September, selling scenic items. On 6th October I am attending a show in Sheffield with my Skaleby West layout. The layout is currently on display in the shop and should be operational by the end of the week.

See you there, then.  I'm responsible for marking out.

Bill

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the venture Andy.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes. What he said.

Troublesome temperature with elevated humidity is making it difficult to sleep despite desperately wishing to do so. I have had quite a boring afternoon - the 32mm spade bit was required to bore numerous holes in a piece of chipboard and into which small low voltage machines will be fitted to divert wheeled items above them left or right.

In other news the flat vacated by our previous noisy ****ing neighbours has been relet. Today I met two of the three lads who are moving in. They will be second-year students when term starts so hopefully can transition from the wild unruly lifestyle of halls to the generally quiet and respectful life Upon the Hill of Strawberries.

Warm greetings to all in every sense of the words.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Commute home was OK. 

The roundabout is being installed across a slightly staggered crossroads. They have closed both sides of the minor road and imposed a 30moh limit (on a NSL road) for about 3 miles on the main road. Although at this stage the NSL repeater signs are still uncovered so it goes NSL/30/NSL/NSL/30/30/NSL/NSL/30/NSL (or similar) within those three miles........................ And it's a section of road that regularly has speed camera vans.  The legal profession would have a field day.

There may be some mudelling done tonight.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Commute home was OK. 

The roundabout is being installed across a slightly staggered crossroads. They have closed both sides of the minor road and imposed a 30moh limit (on a NSL road) for about 3 miles on the main road. Although at this stage the NSL repeater signs are still uncovered so it goes NSL/30/NSL/NSL/30/30/NSL/NSL/30/NSL (or similar) within those three miles........................ And it's a section of road that regularly has speed camera vans.  The legal profession would have a field day.

There may be some mudelling done tonight.

Cheers,

Mick

Whereabouts is that then Mick?

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Whereabouts is that then Mick?

Jamie

A59 Clitheroe bypass. Pendle Rd crossing.

The roundabout is being part-funded by the new housing development about 300 yards down on the Clitheroe side that will generate extra traffic to an already busy junction at commuter times leading to long queues out of town. 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still on the warm side tonight but I think everybody is aware by now that we have a cooler spell coming along in a couple of days. Time to consume more (non-alcoholic) fluids, be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

As an aside to the hilarity of PaulRhB's "DHL Donkey" thread, I've just had a message that the new CX battery is being delivered today by......Yodel.  :O

If there is any positive view to be drawn from this, it's that I don't have a front wall, hedge or railings that they could lob it over.

The only positive is probably on one end of the battery!

• Like 6

Good luck with your venture, Andy, hope you enjoy it to the full.

Today I met two of the three lads who are moving in. They will be second-year students when term starts so hopefully can transition from the wild unruly lifestyle of halls to the generally quiet and respectful life Upon the Hill of Strawberries.

Hahaha! Sure they will... :-))

Mal

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought that only happened to me. 

kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit............

Some years ago we were volunteered to answer phones for the nearby radio station's pledge break. We were in one studio, but we could hear what was being broadcast. We debated what one piece was, very familiar Rossini, and I got it by remembering Bugs anointing Elmer's scalp with hair grower, the strands growing up, blossoming, being attacked with a lawn mower ...

I didn't reveal my sources.

Best wishes to andyram. Can you do overseas mailorder? I'll understand if it's too much headache!

• Like 15

Please mind the gap between sleep and reality.

I can assure you there was burglar-all gap at six o'clock this morning.

Torridon (AKA Torri the Cairn Terrier)  has returned from our veterinarian wearing a "cone of shame". He's a bit perplexed (and who wouldn't be) but he's learning to deal with it. Terriers are amazing, but they won't always do what you want them to do.

• Like 17

Some years ago we were volunteered to answer phones for the nearby radio station's pledge break. We were in one studio, but we could hear what was being broadcast. We debated what one piece was, very familiar Rossini, and I got it by remembering Bugs anointing Elmer's scalp with hair grower, the strands growing up, blossoming, being attacked with a lawn mower ...

I didn't reveal my sources.

Best wishes to andyram. Can you do overseas mailorder? I'll understand if it's too much headache!

Yes overseas mail order can be sorted. Best sorted via email and charged via PayPal.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bonjour to you all from a slightly cooler part of western France. Yesterday I managed a good morning's work on the electrics in the shed for SWMBO. However after lunch it was just too hot to continue. I went out to get some extra stuff and the temp in the car was 44 when I got in. It did manage to come down to 37 when I was driving. Rather frustratingly I had lost my chuck key and despite my best efforts with 2 screwdrivers struggled to drill holes in the concrete block walls. I then gave up and had a pleasant time reading. Beth felt the same way and we did not a lot the rest of the day.

Thus morning it is definitely cooler and the forecast max is 31 degrees. Lots of trailer loads of large straw bales came past the house yesterday so we suspect that some rain is forecast.

Anyway I will resume the electrical work this morning and there is a good chance that the brownie points may be awarded later today. There was a delivery from RS yesterday so I might even get a chance to do some work on the layout.

Andyram I wish you all the best with your new venture and hope that it works out for you.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs

After a week in which very little happened, this week all the work in the world appears to have landed on my desk. Rats... Naturally, I have sprung into action by catching up on this thread.

...a minor injuries clinic for tortoii,or whatever the proper plural is for tortoise. Perhaps Gavin can enlighten me.

The plural of 'tortoise' is 'tortoises'; what's less clear is where the word tortoise comes from in the first place. It can be relatively easily tracked back to the Mediaeval Latin 'tortuca' (plural 'tortucas'), but going any further gets muddy. There are two competing theories. One is that the origin is the Latin word 'tortus', meaning 'twisted'; the other is that the origin is Greek, 'tartaroukhos', 'the holder of the land of the dead', because tortoises and turtles were associated with the underworld in Hellenic culture. You pays your money; you takes your choice... 

Kind regards ambling slowly across the plains of Attica only to be snatched up by eagles and dropped from a great height onto the heads of the discomfited;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.,
Gavin

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin‘ awl. Slept fairly well apparently!

First up, Andy, good luck with your new shop. Can only echo the statement that you’ve certainly earned a streak of success.

Another scorcher beckons, so expect a repeat of my usual statement to that effect as the day progresses. As it is, a municipal services truck is patrolling the street for tree irrigation as I type.

However, t-storms are expected to commence starting tomorrow in the afternoon, after which we should be down to mid-20ish.

Best wishes and thoughts as appropriate... :bye:

• Like 18