The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

At least it wasn't an odd number of wheels (or axles)

There are axle counter/defect detectors that are often quoted in railcam chat. It confused a few the other week when there was an odd number of axles.

It turned out it was a test vehicle with an extra set of wheels that are lowered to test the track geometry.

Work to be worked.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I wont be counting freight cars or axles whilst out and about in KC but my other half has in the past. I think she has got bored of counting them these days. She will be looking out for NS, KCS and Ferromex liveried locos though.

Need breakfast but we have another hour before that commences at 06.30!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps

My mate Ernie gave me some dosh today £75, I'm sure I can spend that in Gaugemasters at Ford Tuesday 

we are off to have lunch with Her aunt a 120 mile round trip for lunch brainless idea if you ask me. :banghead:

I had the whole day with the layout yesterday and will do so today the only other thing planned is dinner 

Ali Cart style in the garden, Her sent me shopping for fillet steak yesterday and I bought too much she use half 

of it last night so we will be scoffing the rest of it today YUM.

thing to do trains to run.

enjoy your day Casey Jones

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. No message from Ernie but I did receive an email from the National Lottery. I have matched two numbers and win a lucky dip entry in Wednesday’s draw. Better than a poke in the eye eh?

Taw Valley was readily available when the first Harry Potter movie was in development but a decision was made (often cited as being JK Rowling’s preference for a more traditional-looking locomotive) to use a Hall masquerading as a Castle. I don’t know about Kings Cross vs. Euston but most of the railway action was filmed on the West Highland Line around Lochs Eilt and Etive. Hogsmeade station is actually Goathland on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The former are equally accessible from Euston and Kings Cross while the latter is tricky from anywhere but easier from Kings Cross.

Breakfast enjoyed. Cat is demanding our attention. Beautiful day outside. I feel a bike ride may occur after I have mucked out the kitchen.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. After yesterday's exertions I slept like a log last night and after a long soak in the bath this morning feel suitably refreshed. One thing I discovered at the show yesterday was that the East Anglian exhibition has found a new venue, The Arena at Kettering. Hope to meet a few other ER's there 8/9th June 2019. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've been driving myself nuts trying to come up with a figure for locos and wagons that comes up to 932. 110 trucks is 880 wheels so what combination of 6 and 4 axle locos were there.

Jamie

I was assuming a 12 wheel loco and 115 8 wheel coal wagons for the 932 total.

Another dry if cloudy day in prospect here. No particular plans for today so some gardening and a walk may take place at some point.

Or there was a two wheeled wagon in there somewhere.

Or possibly 3 locos and 112 wagons?

Seems like one for Countdown

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

As is the norm for a Sunday, we had breakfast in bed and a lie-in and as a result im up a bit later that planned. My first task will be to polish the front door furniture. After that not a lot else is planned, maybe start saving photos from my old phone and loading some onto my new phone.

Whatever you’ve got planned for today, enjoy it.

Back later

• Like 14

Morning all

Went into town last night to take my mum to a Rodgers & Hammerstein themed choir, and very good they were, too. Place starting to heave which is nice. I see that the local council wants to impose a tourist tax on hotel bed occupation - about £1 a night per person. Don't think it'd put anyone off visiting. Well, we paid it in Berlin and it seems to work there. Anything to keep the council tax down! Northampton may have a more difficult job with a tourist tax there...

No Doom Bar here. A shadow of its former self now brewed in Burton.

You can lead a horse to water .....

Drinking Burton-brewed Doom Bar isn’t quite the same experience though it retains its distinctive flavour. I believe a small amount is still brewed in Rock for local consumption.

Never realised that Doom Bar had shifted production to Burton. I s'pose that Proper Job is brewed there, too? Shame, cos Morrison's do that for £1.50 for 500ml (Sains is £1.80). Better stick to Harviestoun's Bitter & Twisted then.

We've had requests to go to the Mémorial museum and the Bayeux Tapestry - Daisy is worried that it will be much harder after Brexit...

Don't tell Daisy, but I think that a lot of things will be much harder after Brexit in a non-political way.

Off to see Matt Forde's Brexit show tomorrow night - well it's 2 for 1 ticket day so might as well, eh?

Hope your day goes well. We're sorting through a load of stuff for our move and plan a massive book, dvd & cd sale in aid of Maggie's Edinburgh early next month.

Mal

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good a'noon all,

Very hot and sunny again. My major task of the day (watering of pots) has been completed and I have retreated indoors to my chair.

Yesterday's BBQ was an excellent affair. We got there at 15.05 and got home at midnight. Met a couple there who've lived in the next road even longer than we've lived here and we've only seen in passing and nodded to occasionally. Turns out that he knows one of my old rugby playing chums and she went to the same youth club as me albeit a couple of years earlier. Her father was a copper who used to help run the club and I was friends with her brother for a while although can't remember her from those days.

No firm plans for this afternoon so I may watch the Rugby League Challenge Cup semi-finals, one of which has just started.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Never realised that Doom Bar had shifted production to Burton. I s'pose that Proper Job is brewed there, too?

Mal

Absolutely not Mal. Proper Job is a St. Austell brewery product and brewed in that town. Doom Bar is a product, indeed the only well-known product, of Sharp’s Brewery, Rock.

Bill Sharp’s business began as a micro-brewery as recently as 1994. Walter Hicks commenced brewing in St. Austell in 1851. Totally seperate businesses.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A‘noon, everyone.

First up, apologies for the bit of absence in the past couple of days. Been out and about with Annika and attempting to escape the heat best as we could. Well, not that there was much chance of escaping, but at least we could try making it more bearable... Tuesday in particular had been awful when we smashed the 40C threshold.

A bit cooler at less than 30C today, though well above of it is again on the forecast by Tuesday. Windy, too, so open went the windows first thing in the morning!

Hope you all have been making it through this heatwave all right so far. Now for some coffee... :bye:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Bandages applied, to the boat that is.

Car boot attended, cross vice bought cheaply,

First set of stringers reinforced.

Watching the Battle of Britain (again) while waiting for temperature to cool and reduced number of grockles on the beach. Eyelid inspection may occur however.

Hang on, those nasty Nazi's are taking it out on our old trade. RDF or to use the American abbrevation Radar.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

The usual greetings are on offer and all posts read and rated.

A6 car boot was rubbish - just about covered my pitch money plus the cost of the petrol to get there.  I think that is it for this season - stuff will be sorted through in the week, then stored for the winter in the Eaves.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

‘fternoon all.

Apparently one can consider oneself to be getting older when the number of birthdays on the calendar is exceeded by the number of death-days.

I have just been informed of the passing of a friend who I knew through a mutual interest in walking the South West Coast Path. We last met on Perranporth beach last year. Apparently, though full of energy at that time, she became very ill just days later. She spent time in (mostly) and out of hospitals and passed away in the week just gone from the dreaded C-word.

I’ll pin a small copy of the picture we took of us together and attach it to my lanyard as I walk the last few miles of that path - which she was unable to complete - in the coming weeks.

A muggertee is required now, and an ale later, in memory of a dear friend.

C’est la vie.

I’ll pin a small copy of the picture we took of us together and attach it to my lanyard as I walk the last few miles of that path - which she was unable to complete - in the coming weeks.

Rick

My deepest sympathy; I think that's a lovely idea and a touching personal tribute

Dave

• Like 1

I counted 3 mahoosive locos followed by 112 mahoosive wagon thingies.

Simples ;)

I believe they call them bathtub gondolas, probably because you'll need to go in the bathtub if you get near them when they are carrying coal.

• Like 12

Guys,

I haven't told you about the fiasco of SE12.

Firstly, Grove Park station.  This is two three-way junctions either side of the railway bridge.  Rush hour queues can reach back a mile.  Except they have decided to refurbish the carriage way and pavements; ok, they need doing and they have chosen the school holidays (so a reduction in Chelsea tractors) but we now have two mile queues.

Then my road.  The powers that be have decided to lay a strategic power supply which has meant they have dug up my road from top to bottom.  They have passed me (except for a fenced-in store) but the lower half of the road is still dug up.  Meanwhile the local authority decided to resurface the road that crosses my road just below my house.  They did the shorter half in a day and were on target to complete the larger half in another two, when one of the outfits put their machinery through a water main.  The best part of a week later, there is still a very large hole and all the resurfacing equipment is off on another job.  Of the four quadrants of the cross roads, one is blocked and two are single tracks.  The estate bus, which should be east to south, is now north to west!

So no doubt, once they finish Grove Park come September, they will dig it up again for the power supply.

Keep well and keep hydrated.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still a tad warm this evening, the thermostat is showing 26.5 C., at least the forecast is that the heatwave is coming to an end. I forgot to mention that a stone hit the windscreen on Saturday leaving a chip about a centimetre in diameter, hopefully it can be repaired. Luckily it is at the bottom of the screen, not in line of vision but in the swept area so its got to be done asap.

• RMweb Gold

Back home.

Our house was rather warm when we returned but after opening a few windows soon allowed it to cool down.

The roads in our friend’s village had patches of molten tar. This combined with the gravel from peoples drives didn’t seem a good combination on my tyres. Once we left we had a very good trip home. Only horrible moment was in Ford End when we stopped at temporary traffic lights for road works and the car behind almost hit me. They kept well back afterwards.

Tony