The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Grey one hereabouts. Oktas not actually leaking at present but... Are we jealous of your weather Don? Bloomin' right. We did see a glimmer of sunshine yesterday but truly fed up with these dreary days now. I'm supposed to be working and I have a code defect to fix. That requires me to think which seems to be difficult these days when it comes to work-related items. At least if I don't fix the defect today I'll have something to do on Friday when I am next working.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

It's certainly funereal weather.

I can't think of a funeral I've attended without wind and rain and usually it's bitterly cold too.

Except one on a sunny day. I had a new car and the alarm started halfway through.

Hope all goes smoothly, Dom.

I'm sure it will.

Remember any good times.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news Dominik, hope all goes as well as can be expected.

Grey and dreary day here in Edinburgh too. Slightly late heading into work as I need to pop to the post office first to send off the penultimate eBay package. They should be opening now, so better get a move on!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your loss Dominick - unfortunately it becomes a fact of life as we get older.

More cold weather news: There are three Ice-Breakers working the Hudson River to keep it open for commercial traffic. It is the main artery for for home heating oil from New Jersey to upstate New York.

Yesterday the ice on the river was measured at 10" thick. It is expected to get thicker before it eases off. The Coast Guard cutters can work it up to 17" (I think).

If I was a kid growing up over here I would seriously consider starting my career in the US Coast Guard - it's a great organization.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Dominik - sincere condolences - Having recently lost my MIL I know how you are feeling - I look on it that we all have our allotted time, and when that day arrives we move on. For some it is early in life, for others the time is longer, but there is no medicine that will prevent it.happening when the time comes. Remember the happy times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry to hear your news, Dominik, and I hope the funeral goes well. We all have to go there sometime, but it is not normally a pleasant experience for the living.

Wet and windy again here today - and seems to be the way it's going now - typical Atlantic winter weather.

At lunch at present, and will probably be late tonight, as I had to start late, so probably won't check in again today.

The good news is that after 15 years of diabetes, my control is, at long last, stable and the long term bloods have been within acceptable limits for 18 months, and my GP is over the moon about it, as am I.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

Just a quick log on from Italy. I was pleased to discover they have an excellent free wireless network where I am staying.

it is strange how the sadness appears to come and go like waves.

That's because sadness is a form of pain. Pain often comes in waves, and also takes time to heal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The good news is that after 15 years of diabetes, my control is, at long last, stable and the long term bloods have been within acceptable limits for 18 months, and my GP is over the moon about it, as am I.

Regards to All

Stewart

That is good news!

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick log on from Italy. I was pleased to discover they have an excellent free wireless network where I am staying.

Last time we stayed in Italy the hotel had excellent wifi, but it wasn't free. It wasn't expensive though either! On our tour round Northern Europe last Summer it generally was quite cheap except for the hotel in The Netherlands.

• RMweb Premium

Tony/Pete

The diabetes control is thanks to very good doctoring on my GP's part over a long period, and my being very assiduous over the insulin doses and the tablets - as well as making sure I stick fairly closely to the dietary regime - it's not weight loss, as while I have been less active, I have GAINED 7.4 Kilos (about a stone in old money) which I have vowed to exercise off as soon as I can walk unaided.

Thanks for the good wishes there.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

It's misty all right and quite nippy, with intermittent rain being forecast from the following night onwards and for the next several days. Just about right for a funeral, I guess :unsure: .

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather dull here but not raining yet. Yesterday I pruned back the clematis montana that has been spreading along the garden fence for a few years. My neighbour started from his side and I started from mine. We can see the fence now but the plant should grow back nicely. Today's job is to do something with the huge pile of plant material, mainly woody twigs.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

What a contrast to the wet cheerlessness of yesterday. We have a clear blue sky here today which I hope will persist. I might get some washing dried outside as I've been too pre-occupied to fix the dryer!

Stewart, glad to hear your good news about the diabetes. Tony, I hope to get Robbie's coaches away today - I've been hunting for some more cardboard for the packing! Ideally to pull an ICE replacement service you'll want either a 101 or a 120.

As for my own efforts, I've just completed my makeover of the Hornby PW crane and I'm well into sloppily throwing together a Jidenco LMS single plank wagon to act in the office of crane runner and hole to throw chains and blocks in!

Had another run yesterday and three miles is now a comfortable distance once I'm through the first half mile. I find that first half mile is the one where you need the most discipline whilst your wind and muscles get themselves up to speed!

Sounds like the Eastern Seaboard's getting what we got in December, Pete!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Dave thanks for the loco info.

It is now raining here. It started raining just as I commenced stuffing twigs into bags. Robbie got bored watching me and somehow got back in which meant I then had to clean the pawprints off the kitchen floor.

I started and completely messed up a Jidenco brass kit of an LNWR Claughton once. Probably not a beginners kit! I never even started the ex LNWR LMS PC Models coach kits that it was going to haul! As the kit was purchased in Ray Rippon's shop and the coaches came from Kings Cross Models it shows how long ago that was.

I think I'll go and do the shopping and hope the weather is better for walking Robbie later. The shopping list is quite a mixture of odd items. My brother is coming to stay for the weekend. My wife is usually too busy to cook but has been enjoying doing some of the cooking for the weekend so the house has been full of exotic cooking smells. Robbie refused to leave the kitchen so he was hoping something would hit the floor (but not the slice of raw aubergine i dropped, he didn't like that!)

Tony

Dave, I dunno we alternate with beautiful blue skies and cold like today - a high of only 25f - then a day of snow. We're over 5' 6" of snow for the season...........66".

Still the next week looks nice we may hit 50f Friday week! Tropical!

I'll soon be complaining of the heat, don't worry......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

AAAARGHH

I've just found out that what I thought was my shift pattern has been changed from last year's due to my extended illness. Instead of using what was established, they have started to calculate my Saturdays on from the day I returned to work, and it means that my Saturday in is now 2nd July, with no leave available to book a casual day off - and I daren't throw a sickie as I wouold wind up on a poor attendance warning.

Sorry, but I won't be able to go to the member's day (again) this year.

Regards

Stewart