The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I would still be out there but was summoned in to sort out the coffee machine that was showing a General Alarm error. Soon sorted, turn off at mains, count to 10 and turn back on.

Tony

I seem to recall that you recently had to do the same for a printer.

You obviously didn't explain that this is a transferable skill.

• Like 2

Second UU team arrived about an hour after the first team had left and were not impressed that the hole had been filled in. Two more large holes were dug adjacent to previous holes, but the pipe was still not located. According to the gear they use for finding these pipes, they just didn’t dig deep enough, despite having got to nearly 5 feet deep! Plan B has now been agreed to ignore the old leaking pipe, and install a new one all the way from our meter near the road to our stopcock. This will involve some crawling around under floorboards, which in turn will need the freezer in the kitchen to be moved to access the hatch to get under the floorboards. This is planned for Thursday, and possibly carrying over into Friday. I dread to think what will go wrong next!

You should write a song about all this!

I think that Bernard Cribbins beat me to it when singing songs about holes the wrong size and in the wrong place!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well things didn’t quite go to plan this morning, next door have got landscaping going on and there was a delivery that blocked my exit for a couple of hours. By the time it had been cleared and I’d loaded the car up, it was too late to go to the tip, I’d have got caught in traffic! But, as the car is loaded up readythe plan is to go first thing tomorrow morning.

After dinner I spent the afternoon in the workshop, where I repaired a micro servo that refused to move. Once it was stripped down cleaned and then re-assembled it worked a treat.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

G'night all

Our bags are packed and ready to go

But you're not leaving on a jet plane. I hope that the week goes well and that SWMBO continues to improve.

Good morning from La Charente. Up early as the roofers were meant to be here by 6.30. I volunteered to be up to greet them as neither of the females in the house seemed to like this idea. However when I got up, Teddy the Golden Retriever came to welcome me and wanted letting out, so I had a wander round the garden with mug of hot coffee in hand whilst Teddy did what he needed to do. He's gone back to bed but the builders have still not arrived.

Yesterday morning was a bit hectic, but the grass was cut and the roofers got to work. Various things needed doing during the morning, such as getting them a power lead outside and sorting out where they can drive the telehandler. I was very impressed with the care they took as I had shown them where they could drive it up and over a sort of border flower bed. Old tiles were carefully placed as markers and no rose bushes have been harmed. We have also acquired a nice neat stack of complete old tiles that we'll use to cover the top of the wall in years to come. Beth has also acquired a lot of good rubble to line the bases of some planters. In the meantime I got to work in the shed and made a new ramp that gets the lawn mower and wheelbarrows, etc onto the raised garden area. The old one was rather rotten.

Beth set off to the Dr's, with an interpreter friend, and I then spent half an hour at the chemist in the afternoon. We are nearly there in getting her rather complex pain meds sorted out. By the end of the afternoon the front half of the roof had been re done. The two lads worked hard and we are very impressed so far.

I'm off back to the DIY shed this morning for various things, including a new type of fly screen that I can permanently install outside our bedroom windows. These are actually , wait for it,,,,,,French Windows..... and the screen also needs to allow for the shutters to be closed. I've discovered a screen that is like a roller blind in an aluminium frame. With the addition of a little panel of screen material above it this should do the job. It will hopefully allow us to have the doors/windows open at night without the mozzies getting in.

Anyway that's enough drivelling from me so I will wish all present, and those not present, a good day. I also hope that Chrisf enjoys his travels.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

At the moorings Awl, Inner Temple here,

A very good nights sleep was had after a good Quiz Night we came 5th out of 20 teams 1/2 a point from being 3rd.

A pair doctors of... On the team helped..

An AVO 8 post-15969-0-50528400-1533102290.jpeg 15 to 150 pounds depending on condition.

It rained till 09:00 yesterday so I had bacon butties first before putting out the buoys.

Two incidents one a single person or two at a squeeze, speedboat was planeing through the fleet, I had to put my rescue boat in front to stop him, I reminded him the limit was 5mph, at that point. He was on a short stay visitor toll..

The other, a hire boat complained at being shouted at by racing boats, since the visitor was going along the river correctly, the commodore will read the riot act later, fundamental rule 2, fair sailing, and rule 69, gross misconduct applies..

Muggacoffee finished time to finish getting the boats out..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

I woke up at 4 this morning from a dream in which I was in the middle of ordering - but had not yet started - an enormous fried breakfast. Although no mars bars were included, I nevertheless blame the discussion here for it - I woke up salivating!

I have not much else to report. I'm at my desk waiting for work to come in, because a subcontractor didn't read the instructions and did their task wrong and thus has to do it all again. Since their re-work hasn't returned to us yet, I am at something of a loose end. Ah well - muggatea time.

Kind regards pogoing up the driveways of the incapacitated;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.,
Gavin

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a very pleasant morning, clear blue sky with a gentle breeze. There is some cloud to the southwest. If Mike’s vessel does visit the Thames Estuary he should have some calm seas to observe the lovely coast. I wondered if Trinity House deal with bouys in the Port of London Authority area. There is a marker at Chalkwell in Southend showing where the PLA rules end.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

At the moorings Awl, Inner Temple here,

A very good nights sleep was had after a good Quiz Night we came 5th out of 20 teams 1/2 a point from being 3rd.

A pair doctors of... On the team helped..

An AVO 8 attachicon.gifdownload.jpeg 15 to 150 pounds depending on condition.

That looks like an AVO 8 Mk1. Recognisable by the all black terminal posts - later versions had a red Positive terminal.

(I had to go and look them up on this site)

The name Avometer comes from Amps/volts/ohms.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Weather as reported by Tony, not sure of the limit of Trinity House's juristriction but I have seen their vessels as far up river as Gravesend. There was (is) a TH depot further up river beyond Greenwich but I can't recall exactly where. My own family were watermen working out of Gravesend and until the 1880's provided such services as pilotage between Gravesend and the sea until TH took over such matters. Not planning to do a lot today except to tidy the car up, my friend was eating something with flaky pastry at the weekend and made a bit of a mess, his 10 year old son however managed without making a mess (though ice cream is a different matter). Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Everything fried ... over; no nothing about Banana Splits in any version but do rather like HHs new avatar.

Have a great August everyone.

Thank you.

However, I can claim no credit for this new look; it is is entirely down to Shortliner (Jack).

He has given me a complete makeover as well as trying to tempt me into building something based on US switching.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Phil’s local knowledge suggests that if Mike’s vessel does go up to Tilbury or Gravesend he could sail past our house. Patricia wouldn’t be able to get to Benfleet but I suspect the tender Mike has photographed before could. Benfleet was once a haunt of smugglers.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

Her has decreed the hallway WILL be painted today having put off the job for weeks,

it's so easy to say when you are retired I'll do it tomorrow or next week the garage got 

finished off yesterday after Her buqqered off out to get some trellis I must get to the quackery 

surgery to get my 3 monthly script and try to get an appointment as my ears & sinarses are

playing up I'm sure it's the latest drug upsetting things. :mad:

I hope Mike & Mrs. SM enjoy their trip do wave if you see the boat. :danced: 

I better get on there is a scowl approaching. :girldevil: 

enjoy your day Vinny Van Goth  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

First off, the usual generic greeetings, and a hope that Mrs Stationmaster manages to make the trip on the Patricia - I know of old how much both she and Mike enjoy the voyage.

Got a viewing on the house this afternoon, first for manys the day week month so 30747 decided that we should "do a little tidying" of the house "We won't need to do all that much" - grass got cut, hedges got trimmed, all the strimming got done (well it didn't get done last week as the strimmer line broke, and I didn't have a replacement as "I should have done" - well when I checked it, there was at least three feet of line on each part of the spool - but thanks to Amazon, that was quickly and cheaply rectified £4.35 instead of £8 at the local DIY shed), the bathroom got bottomed, as did the kitchen, and the downstairs carpets were shampooed. If that's "a little tidying, I'd hate to be doing the spring cleaning.

Not a great deal else to report, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 11

HUMP day even here on Long Island, funny how that happens ;)

Nothing to report from yesterday, although there appears to be some undercurrent of significant "happenings" here soon.

The hospital I'm working at has "affiliated" (waaayyy to much of an explanation needed for those from non-FOR PROFIT health care systems) with another larger place, the larger place has told them they need to close their books each month by the 3-4 day - this for a place that routinely doesn't close their books within the next MONTH!

Example, they've NOT closed June yet - may happen today?!?!? :O  :jester:  Expecting some MAJOR panics going on soon around here....

Some drizzle yesterday evening so convertible remained "un-converted", same went for this AM :(

24 and occasional drizzle this AM, very humid. Expecting 29 and a humid and/or rainy day all day.

Carry on...

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Late on parade as we had a bit of a lie-in this morning, not getting out of bed until after 9:00! So I came downstairs and ate my breakfast and went straight out to the tip, dumped the rumble and came home, re-filled the car and did a second run! On the way home I topped the tank up as the fuel low light came on. Then it was home for a large muggertea, followed by a bit more work in the garden. More rubble has been gathered for the next couple of tip runs, which will be completed next week!

This afternoon we have Ava, Evie and Max round for tea, a roast chicken dinner is the menu for tonight, so i'll soon be making a start on the veggies.

Back later

• Like 18