The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Looks like these parcels delivery folk have borrowed Santa's sleigh as mine is stated to be delivered only 10 minutes later than GDB's - although of course his might arrive at 10.09 and mine will arrive at 12.19.  However my spare chains turned up in the post this morning so I do have a couple of very tiny parts of it already.  Delivery time will of course clash with my appointment at the chiropractor so the Good Doctor will be instructed to deputise

Mrs Stationmaster seems a bit better but is still having major knee moving problems but at least the swelling has continued to shrink a bit and the bruise doesn't look quite so bad and thanks you for you felicitations and concern.  No other major plans for today but I might continue with trimming the tomato plants as that does seem to be doing them some good, especially those which are a over 6 feet tall.

Have a good day one and all and may your rain occur when you want it and in the desired quantities - alas ours booked for earlier this morning was a no show.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up this morning full of aches and pains, mainly the results of Saturdays exertions brought on by this mornings dampness. Fortunately a pair of paracetamols seems to have eased it somewhat. I'll take another look at the car this morning while its cold to see if theres any petrol leaks but I suspect its a loose connection. I did have a fuel problem on another car many years ago, the fuel consumption shot up, it turned out to be the return pipe was split, any excess fuel from the pump instead of being returned to the tank was going straight onto the road. A leak was suspected but it took a bit of finding and then only when fuel drips were spotted beneath the car. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

If the check engine light is on and it isn’t anything obvious like a loose fuel filler cap a garage can connect a code reader to,your cars data port to see what is generating the error,

Tony

• RMweb Premium

If the check engine light is on and it isn’t anything obvious like a loose fuel filler cap a garage can connect a code reader to,your cars data port to see what is generating the error,

Tony

Thanks, that is what I intend to do. I have always had it serviced at the same place anyway and thats where I'm taking it.

• Like 9

What is the last day of le Tour about? The winner is already decided. He can be beaten but he should not be. Nice leisurely Sunday cycle ride then some harebrained cyclist/s decide to go faster. Then the great big huge mass off cyclists decide to catch them up. And then, if that isn't enough after umpteen weeks of pedalling, they have a big race over the last 200 metres to see who is the best pedaller (note this year it doesn't seem to include peddling or injecting. Yet!)

Imagine if it happened at the 1500 metres in the Olympics. First 400 a sprint, then a leisurely stroll/mince around for 600, then 1 or 2 attempt to vanish into the distance for 300, before all the rest catch up and finally all the field crosses the line holding hands.

• RMweb Premium

The cake is out of the oven and now sitting on the cooling rack.

The sun is in the sky.

So once I’ve finished my muggertea, I’m off outside myself.

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

Up late after an hectic day yesterday what looked like a no goer turned to be a better day than

first thought aided by GDB's lift and transportation to first stop the Black Bushe café where he was feed

and watered then on to Didcot rarely a passenger I could not notice how many CW's on the road that

shouldn't be in possession of a driving licence perhaps most of them didn't have one!.

The weather cleared enough for the tour to take place albeit a different route round the site to avoid

the rain showers it was nice to meet many other Webbers for the first time, then we= Bob Mike and I

retreated for a tea/coffee before we made our way home.

Again thanks to Bob for the lift .

enjoy your day E.X.Plorer

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

What is the last day of le Tour about? The winner is already decided. He can be beaten but he should not be. Nice leisurely Sunday cycle ride then some harebrained cyclist/s decide to go faster. Then the great big huge mass off cyclists decide to catch them up. And then, if that isn't enough after umpteen weeks of pedalling, they have a big race over the last 200 metres to see who is the best pedaller (note this year it doesn't seem to include peddling or injecting. Yet!)

Imagine if it happened at the 1500 metres in the Olympics. First 400 a sprint, then a leisurely stroll/mince around for 600, then 1 or 2 attempt to vanish into the distance for 300, before all the rest catch up and finally all the field crosses the line holding hands.

It's a French thing...….

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

I think that Olympic 1500m scenario could go down quite well. Fancy suggesting it to the IOC? After all, it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part.....

• Like 3

I think that Olympic 1500m scenario could go down quite well. Fancy suggesting it to the IOC? After all, it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part.....

I missed out the champer quaffing bit. I am sure the IOC could fit that in easily enough.

• Like 2

Morning all (just),

Sometimes I wonder if I work on the railway or if I'm actually a character in a very trippy version of 'Monty Python Meets The Magic Roundabout' - last night's magnum opus on the big railway involved four of us working to the wrong train crew diagrams, two wrong loco numbers and some missing paperwork for a 'liner out of DIRFT! The four of us from three different depots ended up convening on platform five at Crewe late into the night trying to work it all out, with phone calls to control back and forth until someone twigged that by swapping us round a bit the trains each of us were booked to work / not booked to work would get to their rightful destinations. It didn't help that the train I was supposed to relieve was at Crewe station while I was walking back down to Basford Hall through 'Crewe South Jungle' in the dark, and when I did eventually relieve it I was routed into the yard anyway and then swapped footplates with another Driver to work a different train back to DIRFT. Confused? You will be... I was! 

Tune in next week when our intrepid anti-hero books a taxi to take him to Willesden and ends up in Wilmslow...  ;)

• Like 15

But perfidious Albion has got to be rather good at it, 6 winners in 7 years. That's upset them.

Jamie

The Guardian mentions this morning that UK riders have won 89 of the last 146 stages, a pretty good record. Am pleased, although a bit surprised, that the tour is still on a free-to-air terrestrial channel. Long may that continue.

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon from Mum's place. Three more pieces of IKEA furniture assembled but last unit there is a drawer front missing so need yo call IKEA before assembly incase they want the pack back.

Mum's living room carpet finally bring laid and exterior walls currently bring painted so busy here.

Looking forward to a few beers later.

• Like 6

E‘ning, comrades. Forsooth, I witnessed strange celestial phenomena today. Water falling from the skies, flashes of light among the clouds and Godalmighty noise of unspecified origin! Is that an omen?

Yet, the forecast predicts we‘ll be back to 36C by Monday. This heat is really getting to me by now and showering is proving to be next to useless...

Indeed it could be an omen, for there will be model railway exhibitions and rumours of exhibitions, where the great unwashed shall gather, and a great wailing and a gnashing of teeth will be heard from the pure, and they will cry out "how can it be that showering can no longer work? For is it not said that cleanliness is next to godliness, and yet we have been forsaken."

• Like 7

Greetings all. I can now see blue sky outside the office at LBG.

The weekend passed well; Elder Lurker is now 16, and his party was enjoyed by all. At least that's what they said. Younger Lurker found it all a bit overwhelming; I think having his cousins around until 10 o'clock and then coming around for brekkie in the morning was too much. We will have to prepare him carefully for Christmas when we are staying for a week in a cottage in the wilds of Norfolk with them. We'll need to make sure he gets some of his own space and time.

The consultation period at work ends today. No news one way or the other as yet.

• RMweb Gold

As the gas man arrived punctually and didn’t have much to do, the boiler is only a year old, I was given a task by Aditi to go and collect her online shopping from Waitrose. Then I had a telephone chat with the friends we are due to visit on Thursday. The visit will be a bit longer now and we will return at the weekend.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Greetings from a dull village East of Lancaster.

Not a lot to report here.

Generic greetings are on offer to the ailing and the celebrating.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it could be an omen, for there will be model railway exhibitions and rumours of exhibitions, where the great unwashed shall gather, and a great wailing and a gnashing of teeth will be heard from the pure, and they will cry out "how can it be that showering can no longer work? For is it not said that cleanliness is next to godliness, and yet we have been forsaken."

Showerings appear to no longer work because it is a dormant company that no longer makes Babycham (it sold the brand some time back).   Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived at 11.30 - wrong name on the address but everything else was right so it must be mine - I suspect cloth ears when the name was given.

Whisper it softly,30 minutes earlier,so did mine and it seems there are quite a few others with pseudonyms today.

• Like 3

Be careful what you wish for....

I'm wishing for a taxi driver who ignores his sat-nav and listens to his back seat driver instead! I should be ok this week though as I'm back on 'normal' jobs with a smattering of Bescot - Hinkseys and a Battersea at the weekend. The Oxford corridor has just been resignalled and I've perused to route brief dvds… as I type this a large kipper is being smoked in readiness for tonight's 6V25.... if it runs ;)

• Like 16

Simon, does it have 10 leaflets per branchtype thingy? Online shrub finding pages list different identifications, like whether the leaves have serrated edges, whether they have curved veins etc etc.

Hornbeam seems to be another possibility.

It has 9 or 11 leaflets per stem. I will checkout hornbeam to see if it is a contender.

I wondered at first if it might be an elder. But the leaves look too pale.

We have an elder already, and it isn’t the same.

My nifty plant identifier app thinks it is a fraxinus excelsior or common ash with 72% confidence.

attachicon.gifDSC_0120.JPG

Common Ash: Taken from my garden this morning.

Ash is another contender, so I will check it and hornbeam out. I have looked online and it is almost certainly one of them. If it wasn’t chucking it down again, I would go outside and compare the pictures of Ash and Hornbeam leaves to my specimen.

In reply to my implied question of yesterday, I think I can say that ERs have indeed beaten the “experts”!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

• Like 17