The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A'noon

Blowing a hoolie here, with short sharp showers.  Temperature went down 6 degrees at lunchtime!

Ferries in disarray (UK cut off, as Debs says) as the force 8 means the fast craft can't sail, and the big ferry had a turbo fire this morning which has put her out of action for 'a while'. Oh sheet.

A'noon

Blowing a hoolie here, with short sharp showers.  Temperature went down 6 degrees at lunchtime!

Same here not surprisingly! Apples being blown off the trees, so a blackberry and apple crumble may be made for test tonight.

Part of afternoon spent using the online passport renewal service. It took us longer to get a decent photo than it did online. The online bit was an absolute doddle.

• Like 15

Summer has officially arrived!

Andyram is talking about steam railways.

Meanwhile in sunny Teignmouth the sun and rain are competing against each other whilst the wind blows randomly. The town is full of grockles and the monthly farmers market was pretty much blown away.

• Like 14

Just back in Peterborough at 19:00 after a tedious and unpleasantly hot day at Hoddesdon, to hear that we had just missed a major hailstorm! Huge clouds overhead, one in particular quite literally looks as though its underside is sagging with the weight of water inside.

• Like 2

Nothing specific planned for today so as suggested by The Eagles I will try to do this:  

Last time I stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona, buqqer-all happened.

Presently recovering from yesterday's 650 mile drive from Oregon. It was cold and quite windy in some places at the coast. Serious marine-layer coming in from the Pacific. We had to put the heater on in the trailer (caravan).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, from the sailing club, on the way here I stopped at the traffic lights at the cremated Swan, there in front of me was a neat dry outline of a car, while the rest was sodden, now that's a short cloud burst...

I tested,the buoy to find the inner tube had burst, luckily there is enough buoyancy in the tube. So it will still work.

The buoys were put out and two race series held but with the high wind there were only 10 total entries, normally we get that per class and there are 7 classes.

Two dinghies capsized regularly, but sorted themselves out without assistance, one white boat got a considerable amount of water on board due to a near capsize, they finished the race bailing all the way round the course.

After racing I went to get my motorboat, I reversed out, but as I went to forward, bang... Everything tripped out. This as I drifted sideways down wind. As the nose was near the bank I leapt ashore, and held her as the nose, came into the wind. But I couldn't hold her, so I got back on board ran down the back, leapt onto the rescue boat, started that, untied drove to the front tied on and went into reverse, I just got control with maybe 20 foot to a concerned looking hire boat user. I then started pulling her toward the club, meantime two other rescue boats appeared and with their help I got everything tied up.

I've since tried restarting but it all trips out. I'm hoping all thats happened is I've lost a battery cell, the total voltage is only just down but a lost cell will restrict current badly.

So I've loaded the boat for the week and after tomorrows after events, I'll start measuring batteries.

In the morning the wind should be lighter and I hope to take the boat back to her mooring.

They will be showing films of old events plus it's bring a plate night.

The bar is now open.. Bye..

• Like 6

UPDATE: battery has lost 0.7v, just sitting in the shed with no load. I'd say that has had it.....

12.7 volts is perfectly fine after it has rested for a bit. The question is what does it drop to under load. Measure the voltage with the headlights on (and make sure you are really measuring between the battery posts). If it's less than 12 volts the battery is shot.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Man with shovel and pickaxe did a great job in the garden so when Mrs Stationmaster went out to look and pull some carrots I carefully explained all the additional tripping hazards and where to be careful.  AsI went to lock up the garage I hear an interesting noise from the greenhouse - where she was picking herself up off the floor having tripped over a long established edging slab to the veg plot, colliding with her storage dustbin and entering the greenhouse headfirst - one knee very swollen but no other visible damage.  So off to the Minor Injuries Unit we went - 65 minute wait to be seen and her swelling was shrinking down a bit by the then but rather painful for some movements and even more painful for others the nurse tried to get her to make - then home with a leaflet on soft tissue injuries, instruction to apply an ice pack as necessary and she how it goes for the next couple of days and go back on Monday for an X-Ray if it has not improved. Hospital receptionist was the most miserable old git I have ever come across, I suspect he really can't enjoy his day unless he's downright miserable and rude to patients (I was not the only person who formed that opinion).

I hope the Andyram family is now settling down in full holiday mode - the showers will pass in the next couple of days it appears.

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning, comrades. Forsooth, I witnessed strange celestial phenomena today. Water falling from the skies, flashes of light among the clouds and Godalmighty noise of unspecified origin! Is that an omen?

Yet, the forecast predicts we‘ll be back to 36C by Monday. This heat is really getting to me by now and showering is proving to be next to useless...

So, it’s putting those feet up and unwinding for tonight. :yes:

Best wishes and commiserations as appropriate...

• Like 15

After racing I went to get my motorboat, I reversed out, but as I went to forward, bang... Everything tripped out.

I've since tried restarting but it all trips out. I'm hoping all thats happened is I've lost a battery cell, the total voltage is only just down but a lost cell will restrict current badly.

Sounds a bit more like a short-circuit in the switch when you go into forward gear. As you say, a dud cell would tend to limit the current, but that would not make the breaker trip.

Or maybe some sort of mechanical fouling wrapped round the prop shaft? That might let it run in reverse but overload the breaker in forward.

• Like 6

I went to lock up the garage I hear an interesting noise from the greenhouse - where she was picking herself up off the floor having tripped over a long established edging slab to the veg plot, colliding with her storage dustbin and entering the greenhouse headfirst - one knee very swollen but no other visible damage.

MrsID accomplished a similar feat some weeks back. She was carrying a precarious load of artist stuff up the stairs while wearing FFFs*. She tripped on the top step, landed on her knee on the hardwood floor and did a header into a bit of wall that is obviously a gigantic architectural screw-up, despite the fact that it's about six feet from the top step.

The same knee really started to act-up a couple of weeks later, but I am reliably informed that the two events are completely unrelated.

*Flipping Flip Flop

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a great day out at the Bluebell today. Spent a few modelling tokens and obtained a couple of Scaledale buildings, a pub and a barn for £4 each. Other purchases were several model vehicles and a Railway Bylines annual that I hadn't got in my library. I noticed a few gusty winds around one of which moved my stroller despite the (very poor) brakes being on and I felt the car give a twitch on the QE2 bridge. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Two traveller's tales have reached me this evening.

Two friends holidaying in France arrived two hours before check-in at the airport for their return.  Check-in opened an hour late.  At the time they should have been aboard they were told the flight was delayed.  Three hours after it should have taken off (for a one-hour flight) they were told it was cancelled.  No alternative flights were offered.  They were offered the alternative of rail tickets to London.  And they then got caught up in the Eurostar delays occasioned by hot weather.  Arriving at St. Pancras some 18 hours after they should have landed at Exeter airport they then found no hire cars available and no space on the Night Riviera sleeper which, in any case, does not stop at a civilised hour at their destination in Taunton.  A second night in a hotel was forced before they were able to resume their final leg and reached home almost 24 hours late.  For a journey which should have taken 2 hours.

A family of five have been back over in Blighty making their first visit since migrating permanently to Australia several years ago.  For the youngest son, born there, it was his first "overseas" trip.  All was well until their change of aircraft at Singapore Changi where they should have had a four-hour connection and had already been provided with boarding passes by Heathrow for the connecting flight.  Notwithstanding that Singapore Airlines decided it was acceptable to overbook their flight and bump a family of five at around midnight even though they had boarding passes and assigned seats.  It appears "first in best dressed" applied and others had also been assigned those seats.  International regulations require that accommodation and meals (or their value in vouchers) be provided when passengers are bumped through overbooking and this was offered.  It was a poor substitute for the flight home after a long haul from London and with three tired boys.  It also meant father would be delayed getting back to work.  In the end they were delayed not by a few hours but by two whole days before being able to board another flight.  Singapore Airlines operates two flights daily between Singapore and Melbourne and had managed to overbook all of them on consecutive days causing a log-jam in the system.  For an airline which has enjoyed a reputation as one of the better carriers that hasn't gone down too well.

In other news I spent an hour or so in electronic discussion with a friend in Oz who is heading over in October.  We have a mini-break booked in Cornwall before he heads off into Europe.  All of this is now at the detailed planning stage.  The UK part is sorted - booked and paid.  Transport just needs to be tolerably well-behaved.  Once in Europe he is more or less on his own though we decided between us that his intended road trip would be far too ambitious for the time available.  Better to work that out now than to be 500kms short of your booked accommodation at nightfall.  

It is time to put the travel agency to bed.  Sun Day is forecast to be Lots-of-heavy-rain Day.  I have enough to keep me occupied indoors if needs be.  

Night all.

• Like 2

Two friends holidaying in France arrived two hours before check-in at the airport for their return.  Check-in opened an hour late.  At the time they should have been aboard they were told the flight was delayed.  Three hours after it should have taken off (for a one-hour flight) they were told it was cancelled.  No alternative flights were offered.  They were offered the alternative of rail tickets to London.  And they then got caught up in the Eurostar delays occasioned by hot weather.  Arriving at St. Pancras some 18 hours after they should have landed at Exeter airport they then found no hire cars available and no space on the Night Riviera sleeper which, in any case, does not stop at a civilised hour at their destination in Taunton.  A second night in a hotel was forced before they were able to resume their final leg and reached home almost 24 hours late.  For a journey which should have taken 2 hours.

A family of five have been back over in Blighty making their first visit since migrating permanently to Australia several years ago.  For the youngest son, born there, it was his first "overseas" trip.  All was well until their change of aircraft at Singapore Changi where they should have had a four-hour connection and had already been provided with boarding passes by Heathrow for the connecting flight.  Notwithstanding that Singapore Airlines decided it was acceptable to overbook their flight and bump a family of five at around midnight even though they had boarding passes and assigned seats.  It appears "first in best dressed" applied and others had also been assigned those seats.  International regulations require that accommodation and meals (or their value in vouchers) be provided when passengers are bumped through overbooking and this was offered.  It was a poor substitute for the flight home after a long haul from London and with three tired boys.  It also meant father would be delayed getting back to work.  In the end they were delayed not by a few hours but by two whole days before being able to board another flight.  Singapore Airlines operates two flights daily between Singapore and Melbourne and had managed to overbook all of them on consecutive days causing a log-jam in the system.  For an airline which has enjoyed a reputation as one of the better carriers that hasn't gone down too well.

Sorry to hear about the travellers' problems; both are bad, but really feel for the family in Singapore. By making a fuss about it in the press they may find that Singapore Airlines suddenly offer some extra compensation. When BA ran the London to Glasgow/Edinburgh shuttles they used to have a spare plane on standby just in case all seats had been filled. But 400 miles is a different proposition to one expected to fly 4,000...

Have a peaceful night

Mal

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about the travellers' problems; both are bad, but really feel for the family in Singapore. By making a fuss about it in the press they may find that Singapore Airlines suddenly offer some extra compensation....

In many ways it could have been worse. They could have been flying Ryanair.