The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a great lover of gate valves.

At the time I didn't know better and replaced them but hopefully with better quality versions. I've avoided them since. My plan with all jobs I've done/had done on this house is to go for replacing anything suspect with a good quality low maintenance product if possible. I can't do DIY things now that I could do even a few years ago so I certainly don't want to have to do plumbing unnecessarily. Fortunately my wife is always pleased if I can fix something. I think she married me because she hadn't met anybody who knew how to put up shelves (that stayed up)!

Tony

Morning All,

Another dark Monday morning which sees me back in the office.

I have a liberal sprinkling of gate valves around the house in order to isolate water from the various different rooms. I replaced most of them with high quality versions when I moved in and test them all regularly to make sure they don't seize up. Also, the bathroom taps are all attached to valves which means I didn't have water spraying around!

Ironically, I had gate valve bodies in several different sizes in my plumbing box, so I could have replaced a gate valve! When your mains water runs at approximately 8 bar, you need to have the ability to stop a leak quickly. :lol:

Have a good day everyone...

I have never tackled any plumbing. I feel rather inadequate now! ;)

I did DCC chip a loco last night while watching Top Gear on iPlayer. That'll have to do. :)

Snow was forecast for Edinburgh and the Southern Uplands this morning. At the moment there's just heavy rain.

Sorry to hear all you guys are going through it one way or another with the current weather. We must have escaped the worst of it as it is completely overcast and that's it. No rain and just the odd gust now and again.

Gates went up a few days ago and all is working well apart from our wandering cat. The other two stay indoors but the brave one who ventures out, is still unsure about them. It's hilarious to watch as he walks up to the gates and then about 6' away he sinks low as though he is about to pounce. He inches forward watching the gate and then at the last second bursts through the gap. Same process coming back in. As far as he's concerned these big black things are out to get him and can attack at any minute...:D

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps he knows something you don't Gordon. Go careful!

Morning All, Monday again I see. Grey leaking oktas,lovely.

I've used the excuse of "it's Sunday and the plumbers merchants aren't open" on several occasions to put off doing horrid plumbing things. My wife has now concluded that the plumbers merchants are only open on days with a "z" in name.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Pets are funny things aren't they!

Yesterday I was told by my friend that his dog woke him up at 3 in the morning after he wouldn't stop barking because a dustpan and brush fell off the wall (quite what a dustpan and brush was doing on a wall is anyone's guess though!). Perhaps the dog thought it was alive and would strike at any moment laugh.gif

I've taken the wood for the chair in this morning and will have a proper look at the wooden broom handles that arrived just as we were leaving this morning. An initial look seems to suggest that they are pretty good quality considering how little they cost. I've managed to fit in 3 chairs worth of sides from the one sheet of plywood - so I've got two I could sell if I wanted biggrin.gif

Strange coincidence.

A friend's dog - a 'Jumble' type of character had a sudden attack of temerity yesterday and hid under a table for two hours.

No idea what triggered it unless it was the weather which has been a little rough.

Normally the dog is a boisterous, fearless 'man's' dog.

Seems we've survived so far but some of our weather has been on the TV News.

Have to go out today so hoping for a lull.

• RMweb Gold

Strange coincidence.

A friend's dog - a 'Jumble' type of character had a sudden attack of temerity yesterday and hid under a table for two hours.

No idea what triggered it unless it was the weather which has been a little rough.

Normally the dog is a boisterous, fearless 'man's' dog.

Isn't this what dogs are alleged to do before an earthquake?

It is funny that the strange behaviour of dogs and birds should be mentioned.

I've noticed there don't seem to be too many birds about at the moment - I also saw a report on the Internet the other day about a mass movement of crows. They were all flying north en-mass. It is probably nothing more than a coincidence, but nevertheless interesting.

• RMweb Gold

It is funny that the strange behaviour of dogs and birds should be mentioned.

I've noticed there don't seem to be too many birds about at the moment - I also saw a report on the Internet the other day about a mass movement of crows. They were all flying north en-mass. It is probably nothing more than a coincidence, but nevertheless interesting.

Mass movements of crows are probably rooks!

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry to have to say I'm not feeling at my best right now. Earlier this evening we were told how my girlfriend's grandma has been taken to the hospital, and things are not exactly looking good. This is made doubly awful by the fact that this is so horribly similar to the time when my own grandma passed away, more than seven years ago. I don't think I can sleep right now either, so I guess I'll be staying up a bit longer and try and come to rest.

Morning All,

Sorry to hear that Dominik - You, your Girlfriend's Grandma and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. Small comfort, I know, but at least she is in hospital which is the best place that she can be. They will do the best they can for her.

It is a bit of a gloomy morning here at the moment. I'm just waiting for it to get light.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Another late login.

The problem is that when I first get 'alive' it's too early for you guys, 6:00 here, 4:00 at your end so I get involved in something else and then yime just passes.

Partly cloudy but pleasant here.

My char lady is here, but hasn't yet evicted me fom the lounge.

Watch out for birds flying the wrong way.

Don't even think of coming to the 'States then!

Another storm today - not much but the tenth this year BUT the two low pressure systems concerned in it will link up in the Atlantic and deepen considerably - we are expecting very high winds today as it departs and heads east. There will be another one leaving the Mid-Atlantic coast on Thursday too..........................

Best, Pete.