The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

That's Stoke's style, especially now they have Carew. Very frustrating, feels like you have been robbed, but you have to learn how to deal with styles like that or you are going nowhere.

At least the Mag's score is cheering me up a bit.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Still quite balmy outside. We ended up getting new curtains yesterday, which then had to be sewn and put up. Note to self...going to the furniture house on a Saturday's a bad idea as all the others usually have the same idea.

Have a pleasant Sunday everyone!

Morning All,

Another grey and cloudy one here - looks a bit on the damp side too but hopefully it will brighten up a bit later on.

You are right Dominik - I try and steer well clear of Ikea on Saturday's. It's absolutely manic. Usually, the closest I come is passing by on my bike :lol:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

You are right Dominik - I try and steer well clear of Ikea on Saturday's. It's absolutely manic. Usually, the closest I come is passing by on my bike :lol:

I was actually thinking how it reminded me of peak hour traffic – the number of shopping carts did appear to rival the number of cars usually found on the main thoroughfares in Frankfurt! :blink:

Guest Max Stafford

Still it rains! At least there's no thundering gale propelling it for now.

Seeing as there's little prospect of proper winter weather now in what remains of the season, can we have spring soon please? The presence of shoots in my frost-battered front garden suggests that the process is already in motion! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not doing too much toady due to cough / high temperature. Though I've already been involved in what passes for high finance here, moving some money to Matthew's bank account. He is putting a deposit down with some friends on a house for next year at University. He was a bit vague about the address but we have tracked it down on Google maps and his mum is quite happy. Her brother lived in a house when he was a student in Leicester that wasn't that nice.

Tony

The presence of shoots in my frost-battered front garden suggests that the process is already in motion! :)

Dave.

Dave, I haven't seen my garden since Christmas Sunday! We had some melt yesterday but the lowest layer appears to be compressed ice (is that possible?).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Lovely morning here - NOT. Wet and windy again, and the forecast is for more of the same. Wind speeds have increased, and rain is on and off, but forecast for heavy again all afternoon with 20/25 mph winds behind it - sounds delightful.

Other than that, nothing much happening, so I'll just lurk a bit.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

If you are doing that in Early Risers does that mean that you are 'up with the lurks'?

Not on a Sunday I'm not - six AM Monday to Friday, seven AM most Saturdays, so I tend to lurk in bed on a Sunday til about 9.30.

• RMweb Gold

Not on a Sunday I'm not - six AM Monday to Friday, seven AM most Saturdays, so I tend to lurk in bed on a Sunday til about 9.30.

At least when Matthew telephoned this morning, he did ask if he'd woken me up! Other people have teenagers that don't get up early! I suspect he was concerned as I hadn't answered the email he sent at midnight.

Tony

Good afternoon all.

Sorry to depress you, but it's a lovely day here.

Warm, sunny, not too hot and no wind.

Sorry to hear you have wobbly knees Gordon, and still alochol free due to the back.

It sounds like a very hard life.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all.

Sorry to depress you, but it's a lovely day here.

Warm, sunny, not too hot and no wind.

It's blowing a hoolie outside today! ( I've never understood that expression) I tried to cut the sides out for my chair and the sawdust blew everywhere. It's not too cold here though so I can't really complain too much.

Other than that a quiet day unlike yesterday where I went into town twice laugh.gif

Need to sort out my portfolio for my upcoming university interviews before I run out of time.

Hopefully the practical work on the chair will shut my teacher up! Just waiting for the broom handles to arrive and then I'll have almost everything I need.

I have already experimented with dyeing the fabric that I will use for the chair which has gone well so I am happy on that side of the project as well.

Afternoon All,

Sorry for all of you who have rotten weather. We are lucky enough to have a very nice, almost spring like day - although the wind is cold. There is blue sky, and fluffy white clouds.

Jam - I believe the expression "blowing a hoolie" comes from a place in India with an inshore port. When the wind was blowing in a particular direction, it made it impossible for the steam ships to get up the river and into port. Hence the term, blowing a hoolie.

Important lesson for the day. Never attempt plumbing jobs when you know all the shops are shut. I decided to repair the dodgy cold tap in my bathroom - only to find that the tap inner was made of plastic (what an incredibly daft, and stupid construction :angry:) When I unscrewed the inner from the body, the inner disintegrated in my hands. Fortunately, I was able to canibalise the inner out of a tap I had in my plumbing box - this one is made of the more traditional brass, so should last a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

Jam - I believe the expression "blowing a hoolie" comes from a place in India with an inshore port. When the wind was blowing in a particular direction, it made it impossible for the steam ships to get up the river and into port. Hence the term, blowing a hoolie.

I've mainly heard it used by people with an Irish connection, I've never heard the Indian definition before.

• RMweb Premium

Important lesson for the day. Never attempt plumbing jobs when you know all the shops are shut.

No indeed - otherwise you're stuck with a broken tap in one hand, Yellow Pages in the other, the water off at the stopcock, and you're desperate for the toilet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No indeed - otherwise you're stuck with a broken tap in one hand, Yellow Pages in the other, the water off at the stopcock, and you're desperate for the toilet.

I added stop valves to everything (when I did any DIY) so it isn't too awful when anything goes wrong with the plumbing. When we moved in only one toilet had an isolation valve. As soon as I turned it on water started spraying about. So rather than sort out the cistern the builders had isolated it.

Worst plumbing problem here was I was closing the gate valve in the airing cupboard when the shaft sheared and water just shot straight out of the cupboard. I soon managed to turn all the taps on and drain the loft tank while applying towels to the leak. As my wife returned home to see all the contents of the airing cupboard strewn about she tactfully didn't say anything. I think that too was a Sunday.

Tony