The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I will be in Chelmsford at midday so I suppose I could park up in a lay by on the way home and look up,for the aircrsft. I suppose flying along the route of the A12 makes navigation simpler.

Tony

Are you sure they're not navigating by Bradshaws? As that is what they used to do.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Third muggatea of the day being consumed and we have a nice cooling breeze out of the sun. unfortunately the study - where I am sitting - catches full sun at this time of day so the fan is doing its job.  Seeing Ian's (RH) post about Rail Enforcement Officers made me wonder for a minute that GTR had found some new way of making the trains run/run on time - some hope :no:

No plans for today and I discovered yesterday that my intentions for Saturday are cancelled because Larkrail is cancelled - no big deal of course but at least that will avoid steaming hot 'bus rides around Bath so it has its good points.  Also slightly eases the spending of any brownie points as it's Woodcote Rally this weekend (which will no doubt also be murderously hot), then the following weekend its Family Day at Great Cockcrow which I will presumably be required to attend then the weekend after that it's RMweb day at Didcot GWS where my attendance is nigh mandatory for signalbox explanation purposes.  Some BP redemption might subsequently be possible if I help herself wheel her suitcase along as we head for a week afloat sometime after that - Thames estuary here we come.

Anyway back to today and some noisy b*gger in the form of Openreach has just started to do something noisy outside plus partially block my gateway with some red safety fencing - I feel it might not be very safe for Openreach's employees if I happen to reverse 1.5 tonnes of Peugeot into it at a fast walking pace.

Enjoy your day everybody.

PS To add to my enjoyment it looks like I am about to have the opportunity to reverse int a ladder while an Openreacher is up the telegraph pole by my gate - even more fun beckons.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit cooler today so energy levels are up. I received one birthday pressie on Saturday, a CD of hit songs from the year I was born. No indication as to who it was from but as it was clearly postmarked Romford where my brother lives I assumed it was he who sent it. However yesterday I received a card from my brother, so who sent the CD? It appears from the map that the flypast is travelling along the A12/Liverpool Street line, in which case I would suggest Havering Park near Havering-atte-Bower as it is on top of a hill with vistas south and west down to the Thames and London http://www.havering.gov.uk/directory_record/49/havering_country_park

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A late good moaning to awl and sundry. Hot and sunny down here south of the Channel. Bit late on parade today as we set off for the garage straight after breakfast to have y car serviced and the CT failure points rectified. Then it was off to the supermarket as we were not to far away then home with the shopping. Everything has been put away and a cold drink has been consumed. I plan to spend the afternoon in the shed doing some layout wiring in preparation for the 5 yr old coming tomorrow. His grandparents live just up the road.

No a lot else to report so I'll wish you all bon chance.

Jamie

• Like 18

You might suggest to Untidy Utilities that they stop messing about and simply install a new line. (The existing one may be complete carp anyway.) These days they don't even have to dig a trench. They could use a horizontal boring machine and get it done in next to no time.

the best part of 30 years ago I had a client that made and leased the machines that did this. They were called Flo Mole. They don't appear to exist any longer.

• Like 10

Guys,

I am expecting something fairly large and very Teutonic in the next month or so. Previously I have used flight boxes from Maplins for storage and transportation, but of course they have ceased to trade. Can anyone think of a retail outlet? But not RS Components - too expensive.

Otherwise it will be mail order, but not the south American firm as a matter of principle.

Keep well all, Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl. Four or five Spitfires and a Hurricane flew into Southampton Airport about 15-20 minutes ago. I assume they had been taking part in the big flypast, The Airport is often used as a refuelling or staging point for flypasts and air shows. Having been alerted by the noise of one almost overhead, probably doing a circuit, I went out to see the others arriving and making their final approaches. These didn't come close to the house; the flight path is about 600m away. 

It's not quite as hot today. Yesterday evening was a bit fraught; Mrs mole lost a special baseball cap and we took about 6 hours searching for it, to no avail. She said she had picked it up, put it back down and forgotten where. We both reckon it was the pixies. I had to buy her a new one off EBay, for £20, which was a lot cheaper than the identical thing from A****** at £50. Having bought a new one, we know what will happen next, don't we....

The nocturnal one is surfacing. I have a job for him; he doesn't know yet.

Good vibes to all,

The Legohippy

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not quite so warm here this afternoon, and I've just come back from getting a haircut, and another abortive visit to the bank, as they were having another IT hiatus - at this rate, B#rcl#ys will be getting as bad as TSB.  I am assured that this one was temporary, and that they should be able to deal with getting a printout tomorrow.  We shall see.  And it's innoculation time for Lily, so a trip to the vet's is indicated this afternoon - luckily, we participate in their healthy pets club, which covers all routine matters like wormers, flea control, and innocuations in exchange for a monthly payment.  Not only does this save money compared with having everything done piecemeal, but also it means that there is no hit to the credit card.

Tomorrow, I have the fridge man coming, and have asked for an early call if possible, as I need to get to the bank, and also to pick up 30747 from work, as she's doing so much sick/holiday/maternity cover that she's got to attend every morning this week, which is very tiring indeed.

Generic greetings are, of course, on offer to everybody who is ailing, or celebrating, or who just feels that they need some.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Chew on this day...

Uneventful and slightly early arrival into JFK just before midnight, all worth posting about yesterday <yawn>

Here on Long Island, I'm a bit far away to catch the RAF fly-past, best I can tell :jester:

Question for the rabble that is ER esteemed panel:

Our DVD/Bluray player "failed" and I'm contemplating buying a new one, HOWEVER, wondering is it worth it. 99% of what we might watch from DVD-like media is also all available streaming and with the various services we subscribe too (FAR too many probably), there's not much that can't be found, most of it "free" from one service or another, after the subscription of course.

SO, even though they aren't exactly expensive anyway, do I actually bother replacing the player or is it not really worth it anymore?

25, sunny and very pleasant this AM on Long Island, headed for 32 and potentially becoming steamy...

Carry on everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Ian

I can't remember the last time we used the DVD or Bluray player. Tend to stream or download most videos or movies these days but we still have a large collection so it's handy to have there just incase.

As it happens I have taken apart a pc that has a Bluray player to replace the cmos battery and try to fix two of the three USB ports as it works OK but one USB port does make it harder to use. If I can get it working well thrn it's the PC that will go into the new shed so the dvd/ Bluray player will be useful

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Guys,I am expecting something fairly large and very Teutonic in the next month or so. Previously I have used flight boxes from Maplins for storage and transportation, but of course they have ceased to trade. Can anyone think of a retail outlet? But not RS Components - too expensive.Otherwise it will be mail order, but not the south American firm as a matter of principle.Keep well all, Bill

https://www.screwfix.com/p/13-17-aluminium-case-set-2-pieces/8894p

Not sure where Screwfix are on a commercial moral compass though!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

Are you sure they're not navigating by Bradshaws? As that is what they used to do.

As the zone controller at Waddington I remember having had the pleasure of the pilot of a light civvy a/c  calling on the emergency frequency, because he was lost, He was following the A1 with an AA.book, using the maps in the back, and reading the big green  road-signs. The A1 became covered by a bank of fog below him and he had no idea where he was at that point - Oh, the fun!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.screwfix.com/p/13-17-aluminium-case-set-2-pieces/8894p

Not sure where Screwfix are on a commercial moral compass though!

They do send me very nice emails and flyers about their special offers and some of their stuff isn't bad quality but someone told me a while back that their screws aren't much good :senile:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Saw no more of the flypast than a few distant specks but the best view will probably be on this evenings news. Not a lot else to report so I'll be back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

afternoon from the North West Leeds Highland now with a clear blue sky overhead.

Watched the fly past ...very good although it showed how much we really on our friends in the USA to provide airplanes for us.

Tried to do some muddling..everything I took has broken so far so... time to watch the womens' ODI.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tony, but probably not enough depth for Spur Null

Bill

Then I suggest camera shops or music shops that sell recording equipment. The robust cases Matthew used to,transport his Games Workshop models may still be available. They were based on cases for transporting pistols securely.
  • Like 3

Todays excitement was a 1,000 bomb found by a diver and moved closer inshore apparently. Half the town and all of the seafront was closed and the 16.00 detonation finally occurred at 17.13 when the bungalow shook a little.

Today it was real. 3 or 4 weeks ago it was a drainpipe that they checked out.

Guys,

I am expecting something fairly large and very Teutonic in the next month or so. Previously I have used flight boxes from Maplins for storage and transportation, but of course they have ceased to trade. Can anyone think of a retail outlet? But not RS Components - too expensive.

Otherwise it will be mail order, but not the south American firm as a matter of principle.

Keep well all, Bill

http://cpc.farnell.com/c/audio-visual/professional-sound-lighting/flight-cases-bags?searchref=searchlookahead

Any good, Bill? They're mail order.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Robert or Dom know the answer to this! I need to put the German environment sticker on my new car’s windscreen. The recommended place which would be fine except it would be in the area that would be in the drivers view area in the UK. The German instructions also mention not obscuring the drivers view. Do you think clearly visible but on the uk passenger side is ok?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

I didn't see your order Tony, sorry - I am tied up with live steam R/C work at the moment (seeing L&B Tanks in my sleep!).  The nightmare scenario packing order is a yard of track and a Metcalfe kit!  It happens. No easy way to deal with that.  The temptation to fold the track into three is enormous!  Well, it's flexible...…. :jester:

Stop Press - it rained!  Not for long admittedly, but Frazzled Rock needs a drop.  Oh it's gone again.