The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs (the interloper Jeremy Irons having been sent on his way).

Today is what I like to call my 'monthly manly day'. On the first Saturday of each month, the church has a men's breakfast in a Premier Inn. So I go along (usually as the youngest person there) and get a fry-up. Then I head over to the B&Homewickes next to it and buy whatever DIY/model railway construction equipment I need for the coming month. Clio duly loaded up, I head home again to attack the baseboard with power tools and feel, as I say, terrifically masculine. 

So, fortified with coffee, apple juice, a yoghurt, toast, hash browns, sausage, bacon and black pudding, I bought some square-profile softwood and have been out in the sun ever since, putting together the elaborate jigsaw puzzle that this baseboard, with its seven tracks going in three different directions at three different levels, was always going to be. Tunnels and bridges, man; as above, so below, and the hardest feats of civil engineering on the real railway seem to be the most complicated to model too...

Best wishes dropped from a great height on the unsuspecting;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I did go to the Basildon exhibition. Very interesting. Very warm in the main hall. I didn’t stay too long. I gave a lift back to Benfleet to Phil’s friends. The younger one realised he had left his favourite hat at the exhibition so I returned. We hadn’t actually got all the way back to Benfleet.

Although it was Phils birthday he gave me a present. He remembered that like quite a few people I managed to break the whistle on the Peckett I bought some time ago. So I was presented with some turned brass replacements.

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just back in From 8 hours outside, mostly working on the boat.

The boat I built in Saudi Arabia outside.., I used to have an American 2 gallon (12 pint) "Gott" water dispenser loaded with lemon squash and ice. During an eight hour period working on the boat I'd drink all twelve pints.. and still come in weighing less than when I started.

Out on the airfield a thermometer placed on a chair in the shade on the tarmac went off the top of the scale....70C.... We were loading big wooden packing crates in that...

As to today's work all went to plan except I forgot to fix the hose. The boat is now closed up and clamped together. It's now taped up on the outside with duct tape, ( now Ben isn't using it).. technically it would now float.

While groveling around inside to trim up the edges, I noticed a 1/4 inch on piece of ply and resin leavering up the deck one side. After an extremely painful squeeze into one section of hull, where every hard edge dug in, I could just reach the lump with a 18 inch Japanese style pull saw. Ten minutes of push pull and the lump was gone. Then there was another extremely painfull couple of minutes extracting myself out of the hull...

The twist on the hull halves had disappeared. So when I taped up the hull halves were at most 2 mm out, mostly much less than that.. I am very happy at that...

Tomorrow I start fibreglassing it all back together, from the inside. Hence the tape to stop it leaking out..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Knackered.  We walked around Peel today for another open gardens event, which was quite spread out. 12k paces walked equalling my best post-frankenfoot, and we are off out for a curry later so the record will go!  Rather achey now, and it's still scorchio, but there is a nice breeze to cool things a little.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

40C plus - you get used to dealing with it. I used to put my jacket ON to walk from the office to the restaurant at lunchtime in Tempe. Insulation works both ways.

A few xmas’s Ago we were in Phoenix in brilliant sun in T shirts but locals all had anoraks on as it was a very chilly 55f for them but much more our sort of weather than the previous visit when it was 110f at 11pm.

A very warm day at the Beaconsfirld show but luckily they had all h windows open in the school halls rather than n a tin box sports hall plus we had three fans going. Plenty of visitors in the morning aswell. I even bought a Dapol B4 and had a test run on a fellow rmwebbers layout especially after he told me that two of his four had faults. Luckily mine ran very well.

A quick pack up and home by 18.30 unloaded all but the layout and dropped off at our favourite Harvey’s pub to cool off.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The show went very well today but regretably there was an empty space where the layout owners had to drop out due to health issues. As for my area, the club sales stand which was groaning under the strain of all the sale items was looking rather bare at closing time. As predicted it died when the football came on except for a few escapees from the football who came through the door. In fact some were able to watch the football as there is a large TV screen tuned in to the match in a gallery above the hall visible from one side of the hall. Someone managed to get it on a tablet as well. Thanks Tony for going to the trouble of returning for the young mans hat, the member who he was helping on the Thomas the Tank layout handed it to me just after they had left. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19

Interesting day!

Having recently changed broadband provider, I'd thought I'd lost communication with the outside world as my normal means seemed to have a problem. However, for various reasons, I have 4 networks in the house, so I switched the laptop to one of the others and things sprang into life; emails came rushing in and I could now use the internet; I am still unable to send emails but that is a separate problem! I need to work out why my usual network has let me down.

A few xmas’s Ago we were in Phoenix in brilliant sun in T shirts but locals all had anoraks on as it was a very chilly 55f for them

Shortly after we moved there from Paisley our daughter's teacher sent a note home with her. (I think it was in October or early November.) The teacher suggested we dress our daughter in warmer clothes.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, its been another dry, warm and sunny day.

Few days ago was contacted by one of my friends who owns a preserved East Kent NBC Regent V asking me if I could act as conductor on the bus today as he had been asked to participate in the Hythe Festival. Six buses (three East Kent, one Maidstone & District and two London Transport) assembled outside the town and were then called to join the parade though the town centre and then onto one of the open spaces on the other side of town where various activities were taking place.

As you can see from the picture my friends bus is not painted in typical East Kent maroon and cream:

post-586-0-66741300-1530995825.jpg

but has been painted in Sealink livery used on a small number of buses to work between Folkestone Station and Dover Station and the respective Sealink ferry terminal. My friend decided on this livery as it made a change from most of the other preserved East  Kent buses in maroon & cream.

It might look as though the bus is on concrete hard standing but its not - its standing on grass!!

Once home it was time to water my azaleas in the course of which I found quite a few flying ants around. Is it going to rain tonight?

Keith

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Boy was it hot today..yes it was scorchio. Starting our match at 1 we finished the first innings at 4. Tea ( excellent spread put on by Otley CC) and the second innings syarted at 4:30, finishing at 7:30.

Nail biting finish with Ilkey cc all out 23 runs short.

Youngest Herbert had a match as well. His started at 10 am and ended before 3 as he managed to bowl 15 overs, 3 maidens 5 wickets for 55 runs. Obviously the early start suited him.

Off to get some sleep as Loughborough beckons first thing tomorrow.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well it’s been another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest, but there was some cloud around today, something that I’ve not seen for a good few days now. But it didn’t stop me doing a fair bit of gardening before dinner, mainly removing the soil from the grass that I dug up a few days ago. The amount that’s now left is approximately 3-3.5 sq m and hopefully that will be gone by next weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, we intended to go to Waitrose after dinner, this we did and as predicted the roads and the shop itself were very quiet! The wine and beer stocks have been increased and a bottle of red was opened once I’d watered the plants, we rather enjoyed it too!

Goodnight all

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

When I visited Malta one February it was a balmy 22C. but all the locals were wrapped in overcoats.

I spent some time in El Salvador once and though I don't speak Spanish I manged to decipher the weather man one evening issuing a warning of a cold night with a low of 25. I also managed a train ride.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I spent some time in El Salvador once and though I don't speak Spanish I manged to decipher the weather man one evening issuing a warning of a cold night with a low of 25.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've consumed so much yoghurt, ice cream and cold milk throughout the day that flatulence is becoming a regular thing.....  :stinker:

Scorchio and windy..............

• Like 1