The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The situation was this. As part of our continuing recertification we are required to correctly identify and treat various ailments that would require the intervention of a first aider. On this occasion, I was to be the casualty. I was to be an epileptic, one who progressed from a minor to a major seizure.

All in all, I think we can all agree that my day was a triumph. 

We had the real thing this morning.  With a few complications thrown in.

Bill

I told you divining was a load of cobblers :)

To be fair, the pipe route found by the diviners agreed pretty much with that found by the Cat scanner. Pity neither has actually managed to find the pipe!

Seen it work too often to agree with you

Diviners certainly do find water often enough and they can be very good at it, but they are no better than random chance in controlled experiments where there are no clues from the topography. My neighbor thinks he's a good "witcher", but he's only successful when it's pretty obvious where the pipe was buried :)

Good morning to all and love and best wishes to those whose life is not all it should be.

Today I prepare myself for the annual Diabetes review tomorrow; take the necessary to the surgery and weigh my lithe slim form......hmm..

Next shall be a trip to Darling Daughter’s place to carry on removing old decking, cutting up and disposing of old shed and planning the new frame for the new shed !  Must be careful as SWMBO keeps mentioning the rotting garden table which I am renovating although eventually the new bits – actually decking upside down - will outnumber the original !  SWMBO is in considerable pain with tendinitis in both arms, but an appointment with the spinal injuries unit is expected very soon.

Oh and I mustn’t forget to wash out the Magna unit in the airing cupboard; it keeps the heating pipes clear of gunge.

Whenever did I get the time to go to work ?

Happy days !

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

4 hours in Bed after which I decided I was too hot and spent another 3 hours asleep on the sofa, accompanied by Ben the Border Collie Snoring on the cold hard floor.

I've tried Water devineing and did see it work. mind you this was a 1 ft water main that runs under the SRPS track near the station at Boness.  They had found the water stand pipe on the site and were tracing where it came from. it was eventually found to come from a resevoir a couple of miles away. It's thought this was the water supply built to supply ships in the dock..

Ben Put up a deer when out on his normal morning patrol, the deer rounded a corner in the garden and charged towards me, before diving off into the hedgerow..

I drove through wet roads in a couple of places today... No not rain, the farmers are watering the Potatos again...

Meanwhile on the radio they are discussing the NDR again. in the first 7 months there have been 30 crashes (the police know of) , 20 road signs are currently demolished ( some have been replaced before) along with  3 kerb stones smashed at junctions...

Overnight they raised the Haven Bridge in Great Yarmouth and various vessels stuck up river have now got through, including the TS Lord Nelson. The lady owner was overjoyed as she is thousands out of pocket to the tug crews, Luckily also the sea is calm enough for them to continue on to the river Deben, where the TS Lord Nelson will become a restaurant.

Also Network rail is fitting water spraying equipment to a bridge (Somerleyton?) to pump water out of the river onto the Bridge rails to cool it and stop the bridge getting stuck. You can bet when they finish the real rain will arrive...

Time to ... go do some work...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

Also Network rail is fitting water spraying equipment to a bridge (Somerleyton?) to pump water out of the river onto the Bridge rails to cool it and stop the bridge getting stuck. You can bet when they finish the real rain will arrive...

Time to ... go do some work...

My mother ended up at Somerleyton Hall in 1939 with a class of evacuee children from Dagenham.   She'd moved to a new teaching job there from Leeds and the day after her arrival was put in charge of her new class as they were loaded onto a paddle steamer on the Thames and brought round to Great Yarmouth.  She then spent 4 days trying to keep them together, sleeping in a cinema at one point and then wandering around with them before being given temporary accommodation at Somerleyton Hall.   Her account of it makes fascinating reading, particularly the naval rations that they got at one point, Jam sandwiches and tea every 8 hours.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

My mother ended up at Somerleyton Hall in 1939 with a class of evacuee children from Dagenham.   She'd moved to a new teaching job there from Leeds and the day after her arrival was put in charge of her new class as they were loaded onto a paddle steamer on the Thames and brought round to Great Yarmouth.  She then spent 4 days trying to keep them together, sleeping in a cinema at one point and then wandering around with them before being given temporary accommodation at Somerleyton Hall.   Her account of it makes fascinating reading, particularly the naval rations that they got at one point, Jam sandwiches and tea every 8 hours.

Jamie

I remember reading about Somerleyton hall and the evacuees. If i can find the book  I'll let you know...

• Like 3

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the pizza oven in the boring borough. House is bloody hot still. SWMBO & MiL off to Hampton Court Palace for the flower show today. No sign of builders but the plasterers managed to do the equivalent of 3 days work yesterday and have caught up most of the prep work the builder was supposed to have accomplished last week. They should arrive any minute now to finish off the front room today. Friday they'll get the rest of the hallway done. At least that means I can start painting before the flooring goes down. My next trick will be to get a quote on the remaining work in case the builder can't carry on. I'm not sure if he is really injured, taking a break, or is working on another job that our's has overrun into. I suspect the latter and if that is the case....... watch this space. 

Time to pretend to work once again. Enjoy the day. 

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another fine and very warm day here.

Forgot to mention yesterday that our old furniture was collected as arranged by the local council. I was rather amused that one of the guys took a photo of said furniture before it was loaded but then took another photo of the empty space where it had been. I wonder if he'll send me a  signed copy?  :yes:

Today a brief shopping trip is necessary and after that I will attempt to stay in the shade. 

Watched a bit of football yesterday but gave up after seeing the histrionics of one of the so called "best" footballers in the world after someone trod on his ankle. Pathetic! Granted the other bloke shouldn't have done it but if that had happened on a rugby pitch he'd have been laughed out the stadium. (or more likely thrown out)

I will start to watch the England game this evening but wouldn't bet on lasting out until the end.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading about Somerleyton hall and the evacuees. If i can find the book  I'll let you know...

Yes I would be very interested, thanks.   My mother wrote a sort of autobiography in the 6 months before she died and typed it all up.   If you're interested I could send you the relevant part, once I get the other computer set up.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

There is a pleasant breeze at the moment. Forecast to be quite warm later. No rain here. I am glad to read that the Norfolk farmers are watering potatoes. Aditi mentioned that she had read about an imminent crisp shortage due to drought.

We will be off to Basildon later this morning to the solicitors. I am not sure what else we are doing.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Going to be scorchio again here today, and when I checked the min/max thermometer in the porch, the max was showing at 93.4oF - though I'm not sure when it hot that.

As usual, I can only offer gerenic greetings - getting boring though.

Not a lot happening here this morning.  Need to take two proofs of ID to solicitor this morning, as they didn't tell us when I called to make the appointment to make our new wills - wonderful.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Not a lot happening here this morning.  Need to take two proofs of ID to solicitor this morning, as they didn't tell us when I called to make the appointment to make our new wills - wonderful.

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

We were told about the ID requirement when we made the appointment to draft our wills. Aditi is taking her Mum to a Health and Welfare LPA discussion with her solicitor in Enfield next week. Aditi will have to take photo and address ID too. My neighbours paid a legal bill on belalf of their daughter and had to provide identification. Something to do with money laundering requirements.
  • Like 1

The good citizens of my wifes hometown in Belgium were driving around the town blasting their horns, dancing in the main street, cyclists doing wheelies and everyone celebrating last night like they had just won the cup. It was a pretty remarkable match I guess.

Last time I saw celebrations like that was in Worthing in 82 when the Italian community did it there after winning.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I'm surprised our resident cheerful hippo has missed the page number reference to this place -

http://www.castlewales.com/penrice.html

Meanwhile back in the valley it ain't arf 'ot mum and the men in stripey blazers will no doubt be starting to gather in force as the early eliminators end and the real stuff begins.

Have a good day one and all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Going to be scorchio again here today, and when I checked the min/max thermometer in the porch, the max was showing at 93.4oF - though I'm not sure when it hot that.

:wubclear:  :wubclear:

As usual, I can only offer generic greetings - getting boring though.      BEWARE OF THE AWL   :sarcastic:  :laugh:  :rofl: 

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

I can certainly agree with you on that front Stewart I think some on here thrive on gloom, doom & misery . 

Morning Peeps 

'ot init  I did watch the Belgium + Japan football last night what a game that was real football with real football players, as for that Brazilian ponce rolling round on the floor

the way he did should be banned for the next 4 years from International football the trouble is FIFA have become jessies like a lot of the players and they haven't got the

B@lls to clamp down on it perhaps we could always nominate him for a worst acting Oscar. :biggrin_mini2:

I'm out today for lunch with a friend to discuss his pending layout no doubt the GWR will be mentioned as the best way to go. :drink_mini:

enjoy your day A.W.L'bustar  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13