The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

My old school finally makes the news:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/982133/whitchurch-high-school-florence-italy-madonna-and-child-tabernacle-16th-century-bill.

Trips to Italy?

We were lucky if we got a day trip to St Fagans.

One of my school colleagues came to fame by being found in a tent outside someone's house with listening equipment doing a bit of industrial espionage He was called Hood.

'Banning' reminds me of an ex Royal naval rating who complained that when he joined the Senior Service, they had  B*m, Rum, 'baccy' and the lash.

He left when the last three on the list were abolished.

So that's why so many public school boys went into the navy is it.

Anyway onto weightier topics.   Much has been achieved today.  I even managed to unpack some boxes of books and things that run on parallel pieces of metal. This was the result of my efforts.

post-6824-0-67876100-1530476892_thumb.jpg

Closer inspection of the tomes that I have unpacked so far may be of interest,

post-6824-0-20132100-1530476896_thumb.jpg

Earlier Beth had told ne some fungus was growing on one of the shutters.  It turned out to be a small wasp's nest.

post-6824-0-79600500-1530476872_thumb.jpg

About the size of a gold ball but is now safely tucked away for visiting step grandchildren to inspect.

And how's this for a nice view from the kitchen whilst washing up.

post-6824-0-46064900-1530476857_thumb.jpg

ttfn.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Still scorchio.

Took Frankenfoot  for a walk on the beach - difficult, but it counts as physio.  Two runs out in the Kayak were much more fun, a little fitness has returned so we did about 4 miles (open sea) thoroughly enjoyed.

• Like 15

And how's this for a nice view from the kitchen whilst washing up.

attachicon.gifP7013476.JPG

IMO you can't beat a good view. This place was probably a bit overpriced and it wasn't very practical when we bought it, but the view and surroundings are spectacular. We still love it after 23 years. As my dad was wont to say, "The only way you'll get me out of here is in a box".

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Apologies pH, I was complaining about the lack of any news program. The news and weather is about all I switch the box on for now as the rest is usually carp. The main point I was making was that the BBC chose to fill the time (half an hour) between the two matches with a repeat of a quiz show when they could have easily put the evening news/weather on, it was the usual time slot anyway for the news. The last news was at one this afternoon, the next is at two tomorrow morning. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

Apologies pH, I was complaining about the lack of any news program. The news and weather is about all I switch the box on for now as the rest is usually carp. The main point I was making was that the BBC chose to fill the time (half an hour) between the two matches with a repeat of a quiz show when they could have easily put the evening news/weather on, it was the usual time slot anyway for the news. The last news was at one this afternoon, the next is at two tommorow morning.

Don't worry, Phil, I wasn't being too serious! I did understand the main point of your post.

• RMweb Premium

Canada Day here. Name was illegally changed from Dominion Day many years ago by less than a quorum in the House. Same outfit quietly changed the names of institutions such as the Dominion Observatory. Some fol-de-rol about the French nat having the wrod despite (or because of?) our stealing it from them a millenium ago.

Anyways, temperatures circulating around 30 C, with a winchill up to 34 or 40. Managed a walk this morning but stayed inside the rest of the day. "Tidied up" a bit of the basement as SWMBO ants it neat during our vacation.

Reading Trains magazine's book on Train Wrecks. While they usually ignore Canada, this time they managed to cover 2 spectacular events.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

6 hours reasonable sleep was had, though I may get a little more. I should be arriving at work, but that is delayed as I await the earliest appointment with the vampire I could get at 08:50.

School trips,

Primary schools none,

First secondary school, 1 per year to a London museum, more time was spent in traffic jams in Basingstoke than the museum in those pre M3 days.

Second secondary school, none, well from an island in the Hebrides what do you expect.

Third secondary school, 1 total from Inverness high school to dounreay naval nuclear base. That's if you discount away school cricket matches locally.

Oooooh thwack, aaaaaaa thwack, grunt, thwack, you can not be serious!!! Yes the loss of even more sensible TV for a fortnight..

My Aunt whom she was alive, lived in Wimbledon after she returned to the UK having been a missionary. Every year she went on holiday during the tennis fortnight, which was more than paid for by renting her house out.

I'm being given the big hint by a pair of big brown eyes, time to take him on patrol...

Time to.... ease my aching back off the sofa

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a slightly dampened part of the Charente.   A spectacular electrical storm started at about 01.00 so I got up to unplug the TV and telephone leads.   There was no rain initially and the last combine was still busy and came back at about 01.15.   We seem to have had about and inch of rain overnight.   

This morning I'm off to have my photo taken for my Health Insurance card and also to visit an ironmongers to get some parts to mend a tap in the shed.  Not a lot else on the agenda so I'll wish you all a good day.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Still noticing that I cannot access everything especially video clips.  Still not noticed anything from/relating to Debs but hope she is progressing well.

Edit = spelling … in this shortclip!

Edited by PeterBB

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons. 

Back to work, having safely achieved what I needed to achieve at the end of last week. First aid refresher training today. Because my company's affiliated with OPITO, who are a bit paranoid on the subject, my company (which has fewer than 60 employees) has 3 first-aiders, all of whom receive refresher training every 3 months. The training involves a lot of role-playing; apparently I make an excellent victim. 

I've also filled in last week's timesheet. This may sound like a minor undertaking but it's not, as we use a piece of software about as user-friendly as a shark with toothache. However, for reasons of internal politics (and, I suspect, managerial fear), we're not allowed to record 'time spent filling in my timesheet' in our timesheets, which means that those members of staff blighted with completing the wretched things are receiving first-class practical instruction in creative accounting. 

Best wishes to all as would like them. Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Another sunny day here in the northwest, I’ve not smelt smoke for the last couple of days but apparently the fires aren’t diminishing just yet. According to reports on the radio this morning, some helicopter pilots have reportedly seen fires being deliberately set, f€<{|#g morons! If I had my way I’d round the bu99ers up, stick them in the middle of a fire with a stick-beater and leave them there!

Shortly off to get my blood test results, back later.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Pleasant morning here.

Forecast to be dry and sunny again.

Only excitement planned is a phone call from the GP for a medication review this afternoon.

If Andrew was replacing a donut on Canada Day perhaps it should have been from Timmies!

Tony

• Like 11

Good morning everyone

Another sunny day here in the northwest, I’ve not smelt smoke for the last couple of days but apparently the fires aren’t diminishing just yet. According to reports on the radio this morning, some helicopter pilots have reportedly seen fires being deliberately set, f€<{|#g morons! If I had my way I’d round the bu99ers up, stick them in the middle of a fire with a stick-beater and leave them there!

Shortly off to get my blood test results, back later.

I can't understand why the Roads have not been closed off over the Moors, it is after all, a National Emergency. 

I agree with your comments about the Morons, burn them at the Stake is what I say, hahha. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Had to drop Jill off at Diss yesterday morning, she went to London as she's there on an Exams Officers event today and her son moved to Crawley a couple of weeks ago so she took the opportunity to go and see him and his girlfriend while her work were paying for the ticket. The usual bizarre circumstances where they would sooner pay for her to travel on a peak ticket rather than pay for an off peak and a hotel - which was cheaper. She convinced them to pay for the ticket but the hotel was flatly refused. Reminds me of an old company of mine where flights were only permitted for very senior staff and so when I had to travel to Aberdeen rather than paying a few hundred quid for a flight and parking they gave me a day to travel there, a day to travel back, a day for the meeting (which last an hour), a hotel for 2 nights and paid the petrol expenses, 700 miles at 35p per mile which itself was about the same cost as the flight + parking - ridiculous but I got some photos at Scottish locations so didn't care. The next time it happened I travelled on the train and had an enjoyable ride to Aberdeen on an HST from York window hanging to photograph signals and boxes of course.

Yesterday seemed to come and go, it was incredibly hot here and I was enhancing my software to document photos, as well as using it to start catching up on more recent stuff, I have a lot of photos documented in Excel spreadsheets so spending time to read those and present the data for acceptance yields massive benefits as the process speeds up, saving a few minutes on each days photos multiplied by thousands is a significant amount of time.

I watched the football, mainly while working on the changes to the software ^ ^, I can enjoy the games and support England, the other matches are (occasionally) entertaining.

After the second game I spent a while looking out of the window at the back of the house watching the bats going mad, obviously a lot of insects around as there were a good half dozen bats flying around.

Fitful nights sleep due to the heat and lack of Jill, awoke around 02:30 to a squabble going on outside, looked out of the window and "our" two adult hedgehogs were having a grunt and shove session (they don't fight, they make noises at each other and use their noses to push the other around, it's quite entertaining !) as the food I'd left out was running low (I give them a set amount as a boost, I don't want them relying on it in case I can't give them any for some reason). We also have two youngsters who tend to visit for a snack soon after dusk before they get pushed out by the adults.

Awake again at 05:00 and more or less gave up attempting to sleep then, I was getting up at 06:00 anyway for a stone train to Norwich, duly photographed.

It's going to be another day which is too hot for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fire raisers, as per the helicopter sightings, will hopefully be caught.

We cannot 'burn them at the stake' so how about that they should have community service resident in tents in the middle of the area and of duration until they clear up all the mess resulting from their antics and replant as required.  Of course they will need to be supplied with non fire-proof 'flame red' clothing and the necessary minimum diet in order to complete their task.  

We all know that all they will probably get is a tap on the nose and a solicited promise not to do it again … oops not even that because they would probably sue for assault!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another hot day here so I will be staying in the shade.

Late start for me as yesterday was a very hectic, booze, food and fun-filled day. The "kids" did me proud for my belated Father's Day and I now have 1 litre bottles of Courvoisier and Bombay Sapphire to boost the cellar, a dvd I've been wanting for a while along with chocolate and nuts. 

Steve, Nicki and Joe took charge of the BBQ and shooed me away every time I went up to "have a nose."  They made such a good job of it I might let them do it again!

They all went home about 9.00pm but as Chris and I were clearing up in the garden our friends next door arrived home from a BBQ so they popped in for a "quick one." That lasted till about midnight  :yes: so clearing up was postponed until this morning. Some has been done but there is still a way to go so I better get a round tuit!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

School trips were rare to say the least - possibly the occasional walk round the town but the one I inevitably remember was to Chichester by special train starting off up the branchline behind a 'Castle' running tender first then it changed ends and hauled us to Basingstoke where it was replaced by a 'Schools' for the rest of the trip, I suspect that was probably my longest ever trip behind a 4-4-0.  grammar school was a bit more exciting with occasional trips to London museums and art galleries, a visit to a court during a murder trial, and a geography field trip to Dorset in private cars which a couple of our 56th Form number borrowed from their fathers. The real highlight, apart from CCF camps and field days, was an exchange with a school in Bavaria going there by train via Ostend and Köln and which included some excellent days, and very 'hydraulic' nights out.

Now back to home and the continuing heatwave which was hotter than ever last night.  Not sure when it will break but we have a 30% chance of a rain shower on Friday evening.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 19

Morning

Pleasant morning here.

Forecast to be dry and sunny again.

Only excitement planned is a phone call from the GP for a medication review this afternoon.

If Andrew was replacing a donut on Canada Day perhaps it should have been from Timmies!

Tony

With the quality of Tim Horton's since they sold out and no longer make fresh in store, the rubber donut seal is probably tastier.