The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Alas tv is not what it used to be hence hence some of the channels I tend to spend the most time with seem to show nothing newer than 20 years old and in one case (Talking Pictures) nothing newer than 40-50 years old.  Fortunately some Poirot (the later ones) is being re-run on ITV 2million and 46 while we also currently get an airing of the Rowan Atkinson interpretations of 'Maigret' whlie 'Family At War' (the final series I never watched) is now a Sunday evening regular for me.  How totally sad some might say but for modellers interested in earlier years such as the '50s and '60s some of the older films on Talking pictures are excellent for detail.

Not much to do thus far today but the neighbours are coming round to talk about their retaining wall with I suspect a suggestion that our cherry train might have cracked it (or added another crack as one was there long before the cherry tree got mature), we shall see.

Have a good day everybody.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

A bit of a lie-in this morning, partly due to not sleeping well because of the heat, but I plan to spend the morning in the garden and the afternoon in the workshop.

United Utilities have threatened a hosepipe ban here, starting on Monday if the use of water is not reduced. They all seem to be a bit quick in applying them, we only seem to have had about 2 weeks or so of really hot weather!

Back later

If I laughed at a cross dresser in the street I would be accused of being homophobic or cross dresserphobic, but if I laugh (which I don't because I don't watch it) at a cross dresser on tv it's perfectly ok and therefore legal.

In 30 years time will repeats of MBB be banned?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Walk on the beach completed while it was still cool. Even at 09.30, there were people in the sea. Yet again yesterday, Cumbria was the hottest place in England, according to local radio.

There was some rejoicing on the Ratty yesterday as River Esk returned to service after an absence of 7 years. After a number of test runs, it took the last train of the day out of Ravenglass at 16.50. This would normally have been a diesel service, so the passengers got a real bonus! Esk has been in the maintenance shed a few years back when the shed caught fire (as a result of arson!), and it has been a major task to get her running again. What with Esk back in service, and the new “Train from Spain “ aka Whillan Beck, the Ratty now has sufficient steam locos for the high summer service, even allowing for breakdowns. I am hoping to get back to guarding there in a few weeks, if all goes to plan to see both these locos in service.

That's great news about Esk Simon and also good news that you hope to be back guarding soon.  My favourite loco was always Irt partly because I teamed up with George Stanniforth as his regular guard when I was up there.   

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We didn't need our alarm thus morning as the doorbell rang. It was the "locum" paper deliverer. He couldn't get the paper through the letterbox and was worried someone might steal it !

Aditi is off to Enfield today to spend the day with her Mum. Aditi's sister won't go anywhere unless there is someone to supervise their mother. We aren't totally convinced she needs this level of supervision but Aditi is quite happy to visit her Mum. I am not going today, not because Aditi's sister was stroppy to me yesterday but because I am off to Chelmsford to collect the new car this afternoon. It isn't actually new new but new to us! Hopefully there will be enough fuel to at least get to a garage. When Aditi bought her Fiesta it must have been running on fumes!

Tony

I always insist there's a full petrol tank and a set of protective rubber mats otherwise it stays on the forecourt one year the cheeky B'tards put some cushions from the show room in the back seat.  :laugh:

• Like 9

I'm told we'll be embarking on a restocking of wine and cider in the next day or four (not that I drink much of it but every little bit helps).  And I do need to restock on WD40 as well.

Note to self: politely refuse all invitations for 'cocktails' at the Stationmaster's Stationhouse.

By the by, "Wright writes" has turned interesting as they discuss regional accents on the BBC.  Any of our "stirrers" tempted to join in?

Bill

I can resist everything except temptation (as was famously said by a man who went to extraordinary lengths to change his accent!)

Morning all; just on my way out to mortar the patio. That ought to keep the neighbours' heads down...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In 30 years time will repeats of MBB be banned?

I sincerely hope so even though I may not be around at the time!

If, like me, you are both fed up with all the carp on TV but are also a "Slowhand" fan there is a 2 hour documentary narrated by the man himself charting his life on BBC2 at 9.00pm tonight.

PS. Car washed and all domestic tasks done. Now for some lunch followed by possibly watching some sport or playing with trains.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Took SWMBO for her face to face assessment for PIP on Monday. She has serious mobility issues following a stroke compounded by falling breaking her hip plus dislocating her elbow. Having read some of the horror stories re these affairs, it has to be said that everything went very smoothly. Phoned up on Thursday for a copy of the report which arrived this morning. Report is very fair, even if the boss isn't happy at seeing her limitations recorded in balck and white. Providing the DWP case worker doesn't ignore the matters raised she will qualify for Standard Rate Benefit for both Living and Mobility. Now in wait and see mode.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

From a yet again scorchio village just East of Lancaster.  And from a knackered 45156, as the g word was uttered last evening, and I was rudely awakened at 7.30 this morning by 30747 deciding that "we need to make an early start as it's going to be very hot again this morning, so with a bacon bagel inside of me, I sallied forth to do "a little weeding of the patio", by 8.30, and by the time this weeding was achieved, I discovered that the side gate was not shutting at all well, and the tower bolt (which is locked with a padlock for security) was not engaging properly after being opened.  This meant that the gate had to be rehung, but also that the gate post, which had moved in the gales earlier this year had to be strengthened and reset - NOT a job I was going to tackle, but it's done now.

Anyhows, apart from that, I offer the usual generic greetings, and an assurance that all posts are, as usual, read and rated. 

Tomorrow we are probably standing the A6 car boot, and I will have a number of surplus railway books for sale at very reasonable charges.  Any ERs who are in the area are welcome to visit me there.

Back later tomorrow, or first thing on Monday.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

A fringe benefit to being Northern Irish...

As well as easy access to an Irish passport...

Good afternoon all

Hot and sunny here today. Yesterday was overcast and a bit too fresh, as though the weather gods had accidentally put on the air-conditioning.

Went to see David Baddiel last night in his one-man theatrical piece My Family, Not The Sitcom, about his father who has a form of demetia called Pick's Disease, and his deceased mother. It's a very funny evening, full of black humour and a lot of swearing.

As a result missed the last episode of The Bridge (no spoilers, please) but will watch later this afternoon with a glass of something fizzy made from grapes. Then there's Hidden, the superb Welsh Noir on BBC4 at 9pm. So, some carp on tv but interspersed with some good stuff, imho. Good to see a high scoring match just now (France-Argentina), both sides seem to have upped their game at last, but one side more than the other.

Am away early tmrw morning for 10 days with the family; away from t'internet, too, so have fun and keep sloshing on the factor 50. I will.

Mal

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

The boat is much sanded, and the assembly is much shorter, just 1 Inch longer than its final length.

The friction of all the sections overlapping mean that I can't close the last bit on my own manually. After clambering in and sitting in the boat for the first time in 16 years, I worked out that using 4 sections of threaded rod, with nuts, penny washers, and four short beams of wood I can cramp the whole thing up...

The required a trip to the orange shed .,on a Saturday...

The cockwomble report...

First, two for one,, a pair of mopeds riding at 30 mph, side by side on a sixty cleared A road. Thing was the road had a hatched area in the middle, if they had been single file then it would have been an easy safe pass...

Second the bus peugeot estate the pulled out on the motor cycle in front of me, full marks to the motorcycle for avoiding the accident.

Third Se-at Alhambra, pulled into the right hand lane for straight on, with no one in the left hand lane at 3 consecutive roundabouts.

Fourth, at a road junction where the main through road does a ninety right, sporty Audi comes hammering up the 30 mph road. Isn't ABS wonderful, without it he'd have run into the car and trailer reversing into a driveway round the bend..

• Like 12

Unfortunately this Obituary is far too true, and becoming more so ,  in all walks of life - from Politicians to Reality TV viewers to the Essex crews - sometimes I despair! The expression " The world is going to Hell in a hand-basket" becomes more true daily!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;

- Life isn't always fair;

- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense suffered further as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,

- by his parents, Truth and Trust,

- by his wife, Discretion,

- by his daughter, Responsibility,

- and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;

- I Know My Rights

- I Want It Now

- Someone Else Is To Blame

- I'm A Victim

- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.  If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately this Obituary is far too true, and becoming more so ,  in all walks of life - from Politicians to Reality TV viewers to the Essex crews - sometimes I despair! The expression " The world is going to Hell in a hand-basket" becomes more true daily!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;

- Life isn't always fair;

- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense suffered further as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,

- by his parents, Truth and Trust,

- by his wife, Discretion,

- by his daughter, Responsibility,

- and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;

- I Know My Rights

- I Want It Now

- Someone Else Is To Blame

- I'm A Victim

- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.  If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Ah, the late lamented Cricket Law 43, application of common sense! Now replaced by know the 42 Las off by heart but don't try to understand how they are applied..

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

You've managed to find an arms dealer?  :O

Most of the ones I knew were either Jordanian or Georgian. Despite my best endeavours I never sold arms...just the odd tank and training simulator or two

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Note to self: politely refuse all invitations for 'cocktails' at the Stationmaster's Stationhouse.

I can resist everything except temptation (as was famously said by a man who went to extraordinary lengths to change his accent!)

Morning all; just on my way out to mortar the patio. That ought to keep the neighbours' heads down...

You've managed to find an arms dealer?  :O

Depends on who is under the patio.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the ones I knew were either Jordanian or Georgian. Despite my best endeavours I never sold arms...just the odd tank and training simulator or two

Baz

Your alta ego isn't Sgt. Bilko by any chance?

• Like 1