The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Melting. 28c sur le rock.

Yes Ivan, I have one.  What can I help you with in that regard?

Short review - not perfect, but more perfect than just about anything else RTR.  Superb running (never seen better, even my Kato powered US diseasels) apparently one of the grilles is wrong, wouldn't know, only thing I don't like is the prismatic edges on the windows.  Thinking of buying another actually.  It's a sound one, which is also the best I have heard, but like all sound you turn it off after too long!  It really, really sounds like the prototype, which is very distinctive.  As an engineer I listen to prime mover sounds very carefully, it is how I was trained to understand what is going on in there, right or wrong - it's good alright.

In other news - I'm really sick of the sight of L&B tanks!

• Like 18

....Yes Ivan, I have one.  What can I help you with in that regard?

I think you just have with the summary below....

Short review - not perfect, but more perfect than just about anything else RTR.  Superb running (never seen better, even my Kato powered US diseasels) apparently one of the grilles is wrong, wouldn't know, only thing I don't like is the prismatic edges on the windows.  Thinking of buying another actually.  It's a sound one, which is also the best I have heard, but like all sound you turn it off after too long!  It really, really sounds like the prototype, which is very distinctive.  As an engineer I listen to prime mover sounds very carefully, it is how I was trained to understand what is going on in there, right or wrong - it's good alright....

I think I might have snaffled one for £76. It's numbered 5016 in BR green and doesn't seem to have had any running.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

p.s. It's kept in the original box with the price pencilled on it - 39/6, that's £1.97 to you youngsters.

£1.97 and 1/2p..........?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That's not legal tender sir. Irish stew in the name of the law.

When we went to decimal money, 1 shilling became 5 pence, therefore 6d became 2 1/2p ( we had a decimal halfpenny - which was withdrawn from circulation during the 1980s)

Cheers,

Mick

What is going on with this weather. For the second day in a row, Cumbria has had the highest temperatures in England, and even on the coast it was in the high 20s, which doesn’t often happen. Mark my words, we will be paying for this soon!

Went for a walk around the village today, and back along the beach. While in the Main Street, A car stopped and a lady inside enquired “is there a village in St Bees”? Rather puzzled, I replied that she was in it! She then asked for directions to the beach, which I was able to assist with. It was noticeably cooler on the beach, with a light on-shore breeze, than just a couple of hundred metres away from the beach.

Evening spent at the MRC, and degrees on my return. Watering of veg patch to be done next.

• Like 18

BIN day - ta da... 

I'm wondering if I'll get the robocall announcing changed service dates with the 4th of July holiday next week. 

Bin day for me usually happens on a Wednesday. In fact, bin day for me is Tuesday night, but the truck appears on Wednesday morning and I rescue them from the road on Wednesday evening.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I think you just have with the summary below....

I think I might have snaffled one for £76. It's numbered 5016 in BR green and doesn't seem to have had any running.

Absolute bargain.

They'll sell you some P4 wheels too, I should imagine - Jaime is very helpful.

This, together with the Dapol Western, are the only UK diesels I have seen that are up to the standards of the best top end plastic USA models.  I am feeling the need for a two-tone one (mine is D5000) oh and maybe two Tyne Dock iron ore versions...future layout.....oh dear, the cost....

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

I do so hate robocalls.

Apparently Google recently demonstrated an AI-based, robotic, conversational, natural language, restaurant reservation handler, named "Duplex".  Search for "Google Duplex"* and there are plenty of references in tech news outlets, though they don't seem to have been picked up by the primary news sources - probably because there is so much else going on.  We've not had many slow news days lately.

* Indeed google "google duplex" if you will.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

When we went to decimal money, 1 shilling became 5 pence, therefore 6d became 2 1/2p ( we had a decimal halfpenny - which was withdrawn from circulation during the 1980s)

Cheers,

Mick

I can remember the farthing.

• RMweb Premium

Absolute bargain.

This, together with the Dapol Western, are the only UK diesels I have seen that are up to the standards of the best top end plastic USA models.  

At the risk of incurring the wrath.

IMO Hornby's Class 60 still has to be surpassed..........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

Absolute bargain.

I do hope so. It was only ever going to be P4.

Only have the one Dapol Western - one is all I want. Bought that one when it first came out, to see what the fuss was all about, and P4'd that as well. Some of the spares supply is a bit erratic - the various buffer beam pipes, etc. have been unavailable for ages.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention yesterday that I had a phone call in the late afternoon from Seat (so called) Customer Services apologising for the delays with my new Seat and wanting to give me an update..Pah!  I gave her an update and informed her that I'd cancelled the bloody thing on May 1st. You couldn't make it up.

Maybe you should have kept the order in. It might arrive about the time your other car wears out.

• RMweb Premium

Took motorhome in for a bit of service today. One of the prongs on the plug had melted some of the rubber and discoloured. Diagnosis was probable low voltage. One tech had said that the whole bit should be replaced with a new cable and molded on plug; today's justchanged the plug.  We arrived about 10:30 for a 1:00 appaointment, but they got on it right away and we had about a half-hour wait. Ruined Dayle's plans to go to farmer's market as we had expected to leave it overnight.

They will try to get some rubber filling for the windows. 

Funny noise in ventilation -- like flapping on fan. I ran the A/C system on the return trip and the noise disappeared.

• Like 7