The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Punxatawney Phil (sic) did not see his shadow - early Spring!

Of course since it was snowing in Pennsylvania no surprise there - Groundhog (Woodchuck) Day was yesterday - I just got a feeling of Deja Vu all over again...........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Punxatawney Phil (sic) did not see his shadow - early Spring!

Of course since it was snowing in Pennsylvania no surprise there - Groundhog (Woodchuck) Day was yesterday - I just got a feeling of Deja Vu all over again...........

Best, Pete.

I was curious about the origins of woodchuck forecasting (seaweed being the preferred method here). According to Wikipedia (so it must be true) ancient Germans used to do something similar with a hedgehog.

Can't find the Wiki reference but here is National Geographics version. This involves Romans, Germans and Hedgehogs! Woodchuck is a hedgehog substitute!

I was curious about the origins of woodchuck forecasting (seaweed being the preferred method here). According to Wikipedia (so it must be true) ancient Germans used to do something similar with a hedgehog.

I heard that some English guys cheat by putting a Gerbil where the Sun never shines (allegedly).....................

By the way since my Wife was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal (syndicated to 41 different papers across the Nation) she is turning into a regular media star. She was interviewed by CBS Radio which split it into three different broadcasts - I was pulling out of a snow choked parking lot yesterday during the rush hour and was just preparing to yell abuse at some jerk who cut me up when her dulcet tones entered my car over the airwaves, quite shocking! I'm proud of her, though.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

By the way since my Wife was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal (syndicated to 41 different papers across the Nation) she is turning into a regular media star. She was interviewed by CBS Radio which split it into three different broadcasts - I was pulling out of a snow choked parking lot yesterday during the rush hour and was just preparing to yell abuse at some jerk who cut me up when her dulcet tones entered my car over the airwaves, quite shocking! I'm proud of her, though.

Best, Pete.

Perhaps you should get her to record a voiceover for GPS ?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I managed to put in a bit of modelling time this afternoon...the result can be seen here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/599/entry-5780-the-dawn-of-the-age-of-the-traxx-fleischmanns-h0-scale-db-ag-class-1460-%E2%80%93-with-a-few-twists/ :) . There'll be another two stages to that project, however.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, That'll be too much like Mrs. Bucket..............."Turn left here, Dear, Watch out for that Cow!"

Best, Pete.

Matthew has been known to accuse his mother of having a "Hyacinth" moment!

I did once follow instructions to turn left (we were lost in Reims, I'd been driving all day!). Someone was quite cross with me as I had to pay 10 Francs to get out of the car park I'd entered.

Guest Max Stafford

I heard that some English guys cheat by putting a Gerbil where the Sun never shines (allegedly).....................

Best, Pete.

English? I thought that was the Saturday night turn at Studio 54...! ;)

Dave.

Good morning all.

Yesterday remained humid throughout. Even rain between 17:00 and 18:00 did not cool it down much.

Tim came around and we spent 3 hours cleaning loco wheels, test running and finding the right box for each loco. Not as weird as that may sound. My SAR diesels are all Fratechi (made in Brazil) and they seem to have a 'one size fits all' policy of loco packaging.

In case you are wondering I have begun dismantling the layout.

Warm (27) and cloudy again today.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

It would seem to be windy outside and temperatures are expected to rise to between 10 and 12° by Monday. Talk about a meteorological roller coaster...!

Have a good day everyone, and remember – Friday's the gateway to the weekend! :lol:

Guest Max Stafford

Weather grim here too. Lost a roof tile and had one or two dislodged last night. Just about to head off for another cheerless shift. Still, I've bought three lotto tickets to offer a pretence of light at the end of the tunnel. Damn, what a way to think...!

Have a good day whatever, guys.

Dave.

Morning all!

Might buy a lottery ticket on my way to work...

Looking forward to tonight, I'm off to the pub with at least 3 colleagues tonight after work to go and watch England play Wales in the 6 Nations opener. Could be an interesting mix. 2 England supporters, 1 Irish supporter and one Scot in an Edinburgh pub.

Weather here last night was atrocious, the rain falling in sheets and gale force wind (mind you, it nothing on what Cairns has just been through!). Seems a little calmer this morning, thankfully.

• RMweb Gold

Don hasn't bought one of those woodburning stoves on Gordon's recommendation has he - the sort that only burns model railway bits??? :)

Morning all, well that's another week of callout nearly over, just the annoying 15-30 till 20-00 bit to do this evening. This week it has all descended at times into pure farce - my company's whistleblowing policy stops me from detailing this, but enough near-misses and -disasters to make ones b*m pucker a tad.

Never mind, rugby, relaxation and red wine from 20-00 tonight. And I can't wait!

Hi guys. I'm 71 and a bachelor, living on my own.

I have decided I need a bit of care, so am applying for residence in a home.

They stress it is a "residence" and not a hospice.

On admission (which could be years away), I will need to sell my flat which is two roomed.

As Iv'e joked before, I don't have a bed room, but a train room with a bed in it. The layout occupies the whole room with just enough space around the perimeter to access the built-in cupboards and windows, so permanent, built in layout table must be demolished.

First stage is to dispose of the stock.

I "finished" the layout more than three years ago and have really only maintained it for Thabo to play with, so that's the story.