The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes. It's dreadful, and has cost us window winder mechanisms, wiper blades and much money in washing. And Lime trees have deep roots and cause subsidence...  Our council was petitioned to replace the trees, and to be fair to them they put it out to consultation. Not just to the people affected by the trees, but everyone who could see them. People from several miles away like the green skyline, apparently, so we were over-ruled. And it isn't just the sap. The sap attracts small insects which leads to black deposits firmly glued to every surface, not just the cars, but the sticky pavements, bins and even the front of the house. I hate them.

Dick

ask Sheffield Council to take over,  they have been pretty ruthless with trees of every shape and size, healthy, rotten and everything in between....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Let me see - six different trains have been ridden to get me to/from Wokingham for an OF's lunch which was very pleasant i even if the pub has been 'done over' and the menu 'trendyfied.  Heard a very interesting comment about the recently departed head honcho of GTR who apparenetly in a past post at the helm of  South Central hadn't got the faintest idea that that concern's traincrew management was a near non-existentr state and in total disarray until a consultant told him that was the case, seems he missed a rather crucial lesson there.

And now getting near to GDB territory but without bloodshed,  as various things were said (truthfully alas) abut the state of the patio and the cleanliness (not) of the patio table I decided yesterday - with a bit of 'encouragement' from SWMBO - to assemble the pressure washer which has long lurked in its box in the garage.  the assembly instructions come in the form of pictograms (not as good as the ones Airfix put in their kits 60 years ago_ liberally interspersed with the word 'click' when various things were supposed to be mated with each other.  In one case 'click' involved use of the rubber mallet but said component was most reluctant even go in the intended direction let alone 'click'.  One of the hose connections clicked superbly while the other clicked rather as if it was not really keen on the idea.  The result of these two 'clicks' rapidly became apparent when, assembly completed, the water was turned on and instead of coming out as a high pressure jet it emerged as a dribble - hardly surprising as meanwhile the satisfactorily clicked connection was spurting water in several directions while the one that hadn't felt like much of a click was obviously even less of a click that that as it managed to spill cascades of water in two opposite directions simultaneously.  There was therefore a need to engage in further clicking and so as the sun dried me off further battle was joined and both clicks were eventually satisfactorily clicked. Having changed the fuse on the washer's plug it eventually took life electrically and the process was applied to much of the patio with very satisfactory results although there is more to do.  No blood spilt but considerable bad language uttered and the pictogram 'instructions' loudly condemned, and if you want to 'click' it seems a rubber mallet is an essential.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had problems with tree sap raining down constantly onto their cars? I've had to run the car through a car wash three times in a week because of it. Outer London boroughs seem to like lime trees, and these are surely the worst for sap. Can't believe how it gets everywhere - sticky enough to smear windscreens and bodywork, yet solid enough to prevent its removal from surfaces unless you wash them down.

That's what I've been doing; Royal Free Hospital insisted that I do a 24-hour urine collection by giving me a sizeable plastic carton, of the type often seen containing assorted chemicals. This means I have spent an entire day taking the p*ss, and will be giving them the, er, product after work today.....

Yes, sap on cars - a real pain but the up side is that the car was cool!  The 'problem' however makes me glad that I moved out.

Edit = added words.

Edit = typo correction

Edited by PeterBB

Good morning all,

Sunshine again and very warm already with the possibility of temperatures reaching 29oC.

Nice to see a brief visit from Debs. It would also be good to hear from Peter(DD) who hasn't posted for quite a long time. (Since March by the look of it)

The flat pack folding table was (eventually) put together but only after 3 attempts. I started off by reading the instructions looking at the miniscule pictures and following the designated order. Each time that didn't work so eventually I threw the 2 scraps of paper away and did it my way. That did work and I now have a designated area for my laptop and other "stuff" that usually "clutters up" the dining room table. 

The Boss is happy with this arrangement and so am I. (Even if it does feel as though I've been made to stand sit in the corner!   :whistle: )

Today some more furniture rearranging is scheduled  and also a trip into the local High Street but I may veto that one on the grounds that it is not really essential and it will be too hot.

Have a good one,

Bob.

How is the finger?

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening from a very warm London.

We decided to risk a few beers I Borough Market and catch a trainon GTR home as the few Southern ones cancelled.

Sure enough problems on Graylings Trashy Railway.

we had to miss the one that was over half hour late as it was a wedged 8 car but at least we have seats on this 12 car one.

Fingers crossed we make it home.

The suspension is so lively it takes numerous edits before sending this.

post-1557-0-30669200-1529950404_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-30361500-1529950424_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

so some food shots from the wedding on Saturday..

Starters, fish pekora (with a corn cake)

post-7650-0-47331800-1529950058_thumb.jpg

shish kebab

and.....

post-7650-0-20410400-1529950199_thumb.jpg

can't remember - too late to get shots of the other 5 starters as the rest had gone! - the stuffed mushrooms were brilliant 

Main courses

Lamb Masal... very hot with loads of chillies

post-7650-0-21117200-1529950296_thumb.jpg

dahl

post-7650-0-55983000-1529950370_thumb.jpg

green tomatoes

post-7650-0-00633500-1529950516_thumb.jpg

we also had chicken, mixed vegetables,  pilau rice and naan bread..

lummy..then a bit of dancing..

post-7650-0-37940300-1529950674_thumb.jpg

pogged out Baz

post-7650-0-51666100-1529950130_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

How is the finger?

Bill

Fine thanks Bill. No blood loss today so no First Aid required. (for a change)

Furniture rearranged as scheduled but I did put the block on the shopping trip. Spent the afternoon doing not a lot but at least kept cool with multiple fans working around the house.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Switched on my computer a while ago to find there was no internet connection, after fiddling about for about 15 minutes I called up Virgin. Needless to say just as I called the connection restored itself as you can see. I agree with GDB those pictograms are a right PITA, mind you some of the written instructions in so called English were just as bad, you needed a degree in gibberish to interpret them.

Second bulletin , what to do in an earthquake...

Six years in Southern California and thirty in other parts of the US and the only earthquake I really noticed was in Prestwick.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The earth has moved here on many occasions over the years but strangely it's never made the news.  :onthequiet:  :whistle:  :yes:  :imsohappy:  :jester:

Does that warrant a TMI or a EA (not an earthquake alert...)?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We managed to survive 2 earthquakes in under 15 minutes in Franz Josef this year..except her indoors was in the shower for the first one and didn't notice it (both over 5 on the earthquake scale) nuff said!!

Off to Giggleswick School to umpire tomorrow ..my colleague is a senior assessor and has already started my assessment..as I to am assessor I have opened his account as well....

Bit tired due to cricket/sun/travelling/drink and food so ..

Night all!

Nos Da Polly!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Switched on my computer a while ago to find there was no internet connection, after fiddling about for about 15 minutes I called up Virgin.

Virgin have told us to expect to be internet-free all day tmrw; annoying because it's the day tix go on sale for the bookfest in August - so we'll be hanging on the phone for an hour or two instead...

can't remember - too late to get shots of the other 5 starters as the rest had gone! - the stuffed mushrooms were brilliant 

pogged out Baz

We went to a Hindi wedding a few years ago - fabulous food - the only downside was that men and women were segregated to different rooms, all a bit weird. Glad you had such a good time, though.

Watched Solo again this evening at the cinema and enjoyed it a second time; a shame it's doing so poorly at the box office.

Have a good evening

Mal

• Like 16

Been feeling a bit carp today now that the steroids have worn off. Two nights poor sleep and now I am pretty exhausted. Hopefully I will be able to sleep better tonight.

I got a call this afternoon with a cancellation CT scan for tomorrow morning, which was a welcome surprise. It means I don’t have to wait and can plan things for the next few weeks more easily now.

Six years in Southern California and thirty in other parts of the US and the only earthquake I really noticed was in Prestwick.

You must have timed that very carefully. I lived for five years in Southern California and experienced many of them. I did leave the area about three years before the very nasty Northridge quake in 1994.

I think I made up for that by experiencing multiple earth quakes visiting Northern California, including the deadly Loma-Prieta quake of 1989 during the baseball World Series. I think I was in Milpitas at the time and frankly that was terrifying.

Ultimately I moved to the Northwest in time for the 2001 Nisqually earthquake which was a lower frequency 'rolling' quake and felt quite different. That one was felt in Idaho.

• RMweb Premium

We managed to survive 2 earthquakes in under 15 minutes in Franz Josef this year..except her indoors was in the shower for the first one and didn't notice it (both over 5 on the earthquake scale) nuff said!!

Off to Giggleswick School to umpire tomorrow ..my colleague is a senior assessor and has already started my assessment..as I to am assessor I have opened his account as well....

Bit tired due to cricket/sun/travelling/drink and food so ..

Night all!

Nos Da Polly!

Baz

I presume you will be up on the top pitch near the chapel.   I doubt that the scorebox that I used to inhabit is still standing.  I ended up as 1st team scorer as I couldn't play and we had to stay and watch matches on a Saturday against other schools so I di something rather than get bored.  It is a spectacular setting.  I believe that it used to be a lake.  Enjoy it.

Jamie

• Like 7

Starters, fish pekora (with a corn cake)

attachicon.giffish pekora .JPG

shish kebab

and.....

attachicon.gifstarter 1.JPG

Main courses

Lamb Masal... very hot with loads of chillies

attachicon.giflamb masala.JPG

dahl

attachicon.gifdahl and green tomatoes.JPG

green tomatoes

attachicon.gifgreen tomatoes.JPG

we also had chicken, mixed vegetables,  pilau rice and naan bread..

lummy..then a bit of dancing..

attachicon.giflight danc.JPG

pogged out Baz

Can't beat a subcontinental wedding for food, but I reckon a Chinese one runs it close.

I did leave the area about three years before the very nasty Northridge quake in 1994.

Ultimately I moved to the Northwest in time for the 2001 Nisqually earthquake which was a lower frequency 'rolling' quake and felt quite different. That one was felt in Idaho.

I knew a family where the husband worked in the aerospace industry, and who had moved from Scotland to Los Angeles. They didn't settle and moved back to Scotland, leaving LA the day before the Northridge quake!

We felt the Nisqually quake here in BC. The effects were quite variable. I was in a meeting on the tenth floor - we waited till the shaking stopped, then carried on. Another high rise in the next block emptied out completely. My wife was working in the lower floor of a two-storey school. That floor carried on after the shake, but the upper floor was rapidly evacuated because of the movement.

• Like 4