The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I am sure in a couple of days "Simon/James/Steve" from Bangalore will be offering advice for a small credit card payment.

Seriously, does your new computer connect wirelessly elsewhere? That would help you eliminate a computer problem. Does the wireless troubleshooter suggest anything meaningful? Have you entered the password correctly? Every so often Aditi's Sony Vaio won't connect wirelessly, even with all the turning it on and off or turning the wireless on and off (it is so old it has a slider switch for the wireless option) . Rebooting the router worked. My neighbours got a new router and their iPad wouldn't connect. Their router had separate passwords and SSID for the 2 and 5GHz wireless signals. Sorted that out too.

My tablet & laptop sometimes lose their wifi when I put Youtube or similar on the tv.

• RMweb Premium

What are the suggestions for a DCC starter set for an 8 year old boy (and his Dad maybe)?

His Nan suggests it might need a crossover, but I guess a roundy roundy is the most important bit.

Would be grateful for any ideas.

post-3305-0-93850000-1529519852.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Listening to the cricket. My lass Anya is in the zone again: 3 - 2 - 2 - 0.

Bill

3 overs, 2 wickets, 2 maidens for no runs? Very impressive!!

Edit: Ah, O M R W, not O W M R.

It's a long time since I scored a cricket match.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

What are the suggestions for a OO DCC starter set for an 8 year old boy (and his Dad maybe)?

His Nan suggests it might need a crossover, but I guess a roundy roundy is the most important bit.

NCE powercab is a good choice.

Cheers

Mick

• RMweb Gold

What are the suggestions for a OO DCC starter set for an 8 year old boy (and his Dad maybe)?

With this one you get a reasonable dcc system.

http://www.scograil.co.uk/roco-51294-ho-gauge-z21-start---csd-diesel-freight-starter-set-iv-dcc-fitted-13430-p.asp

The Hornby and Bachmann offerings are less sophisticated. However you could put your own package together with a Roco controller and Hornby/ Bachmann trains with Peco Setrack. Getting a, for instance ,Bachmann digital starter set would require some uograding if the hobby takes off with boy and Dad.

..., does your new computer connect wirelessly elsewhere? That would help you eliminate a computer problem. Does the wireless troubleshooter suggest anything meaningful? Have you entered the password correctly? Every so often Aditi's Sony Vaio won't connect wirelessly, even with all the turning it on and off or turning the wireless on and off (it is so old it has a slider switch for the wireless option) . Rebooting the router worked. My neighbours got a new router and their iPad wouldn't connect. Their router had separate passwords and SSID for the 2 and 5GHz wireless signals. Sorted that out too.

The wireless on my desktop PC mysteriously stopped working a couple of months ago. Rather than muck about with it I connected by Ethernet to a repeater. I just checked and the wireless is working again now. There have been a few Win10 updates in the meantime. Hmmm....???

The only thing that has changed in the office is my terminal. All desktop; I don't use laptops. Chain of events is all a bit suspicious:

- yesterday my original terminal (Win7) was working fine. When I shut down at the end of the day, it went through automatic updates.

- this morning, I switch on to find that the Win7 update has disabled the wireless dongle. Swapping it for other dongles doesn't work.

- my senior colleague suggests it's about time I joined everyone else on Win10, so gives me a new terminal which I set up myself.

- Initially, nothing. Not a sausage. My original dongle is transferred over. Nothing.

- Win10 says the dongle needs a driver update downloaded. Well, that's clever 'cos you can't download anything because the dongle needs a new driver....which can't be downloaded, because....

- some faffing later, I managed to download a driver onto my USB stick via my senior colleague's terminal.

- feeding the stick into my new terminal, the driver is set up, and suddenly my dongle works again on Win10. We have Internet connection. Yay.

- Yay is shortlived, as I now have no office e-mail. Or office printer. Either of these needs a password. My senior colleague gives me the e-mail account password which she says works. It doesn't. I try several variations, none of which works.

- My new terminal can "see" the other terminals on the network, but access needs a password....which we don't have. So no access to network printer/ scanner.

In the end, I gave up and borrowed another colleague's terminal, which I could plug my external drive into.

Feckin' Win10. I always said it was a mistake.

• RMweb Gold

The only thing that has changed in the office is my terminal. All desktop; I don't use laptops. Chain of events is all a bit suspicious:

- yesterday my original terminal (Win7) was working fine. When I shut down at the end of the day, it went through automatic updates.

- this morning, I switch on to find that the Win7 update has disabled the wireless dongle. Swapping it for other dongles doesn't work.

- my senior colleague suggests it's about time I joined everyone else on Win10, so gives me a new terminal which I set up myself.

- Initially, nothing. Not a sausage. My original dongle is transferred over. Nothing.

- Win10 says the dongle needs a driver update downloaded. Well, that's clever 'cos you can't download anything because the dongle needs a new driver....which can't be downloaded, because....

- some faffing later, I managed to download a driver onto my USB stick via my senior colleague's terminal.

- feeding the stick into my new terminal, the driver is set up, and suddenly my dongle works again on Win10. We have Internet connection. Yay.

- Yay is shortlived, as I now have no office e-mail. Or office printer. Either of these needs a password. My senior colleague gives me the e-mail account password which she says works. It doesn't. I try several variations, none of which works.

- My new terminal can "see" the other terminals on the network, but access needs a password....which we don't have. So no access to network printer/ scanner.

In the end, I gave up and borrowed another colleague's terminal, which I could plug my external drive into.

If the email password isn't what your colleague thinks it is that isn't really Win10's problem. Has your office network just grown or was it installed by someone. I am sure you will get it sorted out. Whatever your maximum hourly rate is just quadruple it for network support! Only joking!
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening from the North West Leeds Highlands.

My eyes are very sore at the moment and I just feel fairly naff so an earlyish night beckons.

Sleep well all

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Going roundy roundy will be fun but it can get boring so maybe a siding or two would be useful to add a bit more interest and fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.Club night tonight, sorting out the rubbish that no one wants highly desirable items to enhance your layout for the club sales stand. Joking aside theres one or two unusual items among which is an HO American kit for a trestle bridge. Upon opening the box there was a length of aluminium angle ??? I can only think its there as a template around which the bridge is to be built. Anyway the exhibition is on the 7/8 July at the James Hornsby School Leinster Road/Nicholas Lane Laindon SS15 5NX. The 7th is also my 70th birthday.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

As expected, it did rain this morning, but only for about 30 minutes or so and after dinner the sun came out and it was quite a pleasant day.

I’ve had a bit more success with Max’s engine today, I resolved the binding issue by totally stripping the engine to its component parts a rebuilding bit by bit and testing it at each stage to find out what was actually causing the problem. It turned out to be a slightly bent con rod/valve bracket, once I’d straightened it, everything was fine. I also gave everything a good clean whilst I was at it. Once that was sorted that I returned to adding detail items to the loco body itself, I’ve only got a couple more pieces to add and then I can undercoat it.

This afternoon we had Evie and Max round for tea, Ava had gone to her friends so she wasn’t with us tonight. As requested, tonight’s tea was pizza followed by chocolate cake. What they didn’t expect was that they would chocolate mint cakes, they went down very well.

I do have a bike, but I’ve not ridden it for over 30 years, but, considering it’s been in storage (the shed) all that time, it’s not in bad nick. I did give it a good service a couple of years ago, but that’s as much as I’ve done. Maybe I’ll take it out for a ride, or maybe not!

Goodnight all

• Like 18

Most of you are not really interested in modern combat aviation but take a gander at this state of the art simulation.

A few notes, each airplane has a different human pilot from several different countries operating in real time. The controls of each ‘plane are identical to the real ‘plane being modeled - no short cuts to make things easier.

Just fast forward thru the Briefing to the actual Mission and sit back to enjoy this particular artform, it’s the P4 of modern simulations:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

Does he have a DC set already?

• Like 2

I'm probably being thick, but why are you using dongles?

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  It was rather hot yesterday afternoon (32°C) but the weather is supposed to cool down this afternoon.

Speaking of Windows 10 - Personally, I don't use Windows at home, but Mercedes has a Windows 10 machine.  She had the printer spooler stop working mysteriously.  One day all was fine, the next it stopped completely.  An internet search seemed to suggest that the problem was common, but nobody seemed to have a solution.  Then, after another update and a large amount of fiddling around, it started working again.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 3