The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Bon Voyage Beth and Jamie.

Saw Andyram at GCR today.  He seemed better than when last seen - hoping that he will be signed off until ... ? I am sure you have guessed.

Peter

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

We are planning a trip at the end of August and start of September. Not afloat this time, by car instead. We divided the distance from home to destination into thirds and looked for hotels to stay overnight in. I don't want to spoil the holiday by getting exhausted en-route! What is amazing is that Aditi and I separately found the same hotel out of rather a lot of choice for the first stop. For the second stop we will stay in one we have been to before.

Tony

• Like 19

Thinking of a long weekend away somewhere. Can not make up my mind whether it'll be at Lyon, Marseilles or Amsterdam (done Avignon, Bruxelles and Rotterdam!)

It's either the 07:19 (EST 9084) or 08:31 (EST 9114) off St Pancras!

Decisions!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of a long weekend away somewhere. Can not make up my mind whether it'll be at Lyon, Marseilles or Amsterdam (done Avignon, Bruxelles and Rotterdam!)

Decisions!

Amsterdam - not bad and quite interesting but can get a bit busy at this time of year and the cheaper hotels are likely to require the mountain climbing abilities of a goat due to the steep staircases.

Lyon - not sampled but I suspect being a bit south it might get a bit hot.

Marseille - some fascinating areas and nice little squares but at this time of year you will need your personal portable aircon unit as it is going to be bl**dy hot.  Despite being inland Aix-En- Provence is more tolerable heat wise.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I had a busy morning in the kitchen, but at least I got the curry sauce ready just before dinner. After dinner I got the chicken cut up, so all I had to do was brown it and then put it into the sauce. That just left the rice to cook it, I’d already sorted out the spices for that. So after completing the school run, we took t(e kids outside to the garden where they played for about 30 minutes. Once back inside I started the final preparations for tea. Not long after I’d made a start, our first guest arrived, Mike and Sarah came straight from work, not long after them James and Amelia turned up. Then we had a surprise visit by Charlie, apparently he’d told Vickie he was coming down, but she forgot to tell us, but it was really nice to see him, luckily I’d made enough for the extra mouth. It doesn’t seem 5 minutes since he was born, but he’ll be 18 next month, where does the time go? Vickie was last to get here, but we knew that would be the case, as she didn’t finish work until late, but she just managed to get here in time so she didn’t have to eat alone. Once they’d eaten all that was put in front of them we all retired to the front room for a chat, whilst the kids played games at the kitchen table.

They slowly started to leave around 7:00 and I took Vickie and the kids home around 8:00. It was nice to see them all here together and great to chat with them all, but once they’d gone the silence was bliss. We then opened up a bottle of red, took a deep breath and relaxed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

Decisions!

Pas de brainer.

Lyon, but stay in Vienne then head East for a tour around the mountains. (I happen to like mountains :) )

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Went to visit a friend of mine today who had been the subject of a road rage incident on his bicycle a few days ago. Broken neck and other damaged vertebrae. He's a lucky man as the break was 10mm from his spinal cord and he has to wear a neck/back brace for 12 weeks, although found out recently that his recovery is coming along so well that it may only be 6 weeks. Not quite certain of what will become of the van driver who swerved in front and then slammed his brakes on - apparently it's one word against the other.

Golf played today - a good 4&3 win against two of the big hitters at the club. My partner and myself "dovetailed" and we only had one hole where we both played like novices.

More triathlon training - swimming with Junior NB. I'm convinced that freestyle isn't for me and will do 400m breaststroke when the time comes. I reckon she'll be about 2/3 my time (11 minutes or so) in the pool but I should easily catch that up on the bike/run sections.

Work tomorrow, but only 1/2 day as the rotas got changed in my favour...... Then birthday BBQ in the afternoon at mate's house about 400 yards away. I may/may not check in Saturday evening.

Either way - have a good Saturday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Not quite certain of what will become of the van driver who swerved in front and then slammed his brakes on - apparently it's one word against the other.

Erm, if it doesn't go well I might have some contacts in Rhode Island.

• Like 13

Feeling a bit battered because I managed a massive faceplant late this afternoon. When we got the new table we had to take out the old one, the idea being that it would become a workbench in one of the outbuildings. I had to dismantle it to get it out and then remantle it in the garden. Then carry it in to the outbuilding. In the meantime Mrs A had been doing some woodwork in the out-b on a workmate, right where I wanted to put my bloody heavy table. She had also left out the power cable which had got caught under the door... Then she went for a siesta.

So to put the table in I had to move the workmate which had a bench sanding station on it (about 10kg worth). I picked it up and started towards an old patio table we use to dump stuff on. The floor is cobbles, and some are missing - guess what? Straight forward, with the sanding machine in my hands. Hit the mower (it's a big b*gger) then headfirst into the table, which fortunately disintegrated into nasty sharp shards and absorbed a lot of energy. And when I fall over there's a lot of kinetic energy... I landed on the sander, which had my hands under it.

Gashed a finger or two, and my thigh (I was wearing shorts) and done damage to both hands, face and shoulder. Not nice.

Got me out of cooking dinner, so I had a French Kebab Sandwich. Which was interesting. And the day started so well...

• RMweb Gold

Decisions!

We will be sampling the 17.30 to Rotterdam in the Autumn for two days of beer festivals but returning a bit more slowly via Brussels for a few more beers. A certain other ER will also be with us.

So far I havent been on one of the newer Eurostar untis but definitely will on that trip.

Awake early this morning. Off down the A303 in a few hours ot meet up with brother from Devon then bring mum back to stay with us for a few days.

• Like 18

Good morning one and all

The sun shone on the gardens at Cambridge Crematorium yesterday and there was a delicate fragrance of roses in the air.  I shared memories of my father with one of his closest friends who then joined me for lunch.  It came as a surprise to her that he too was a sufferer from the black dog.  Clearly he had the knack of not troubling other people with what he thought did nor concern them.  Later it was well and truly back to reality as the pile of ironing was swiftly despatched.  When I returned home a jiffy bag containing an EP was on the doormat, having taken an unfeasibly short time to arrive from South Zeal in Devon, glorious Devon.  I only ordered it on Thursday!  In the jiffy bag was also a handwritten postcard thanking me very much for ordering the EP.  Take a bow, Jim Causley, for first rate customer care!

Today I am off to St Albans where there is something of a folk festival.  Will I be tempted by a singaround?  Hmmmm ….

Bon voyage to Jamie and Beth.  Warm thoughts also to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal, Simon and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple here,

A better night's sleep of about 5 hours, this I hope will be followed by more dozing after this message.

Thanks for the suggestions, on getting the builders plate made, I will get one made as can get a brass rubbing or can borrow a plate.

As for local brass founders soon after I posted the question I remembered the man sat behind me at my outside the lab desk at work. Builds live steam of a size to sit behind. He's going to bring in the details of the people he uses.

Last evening Ben the Border Collie and myself went to his appreciation society, only 5 of us including Ben.

The fence building template was made and used I was successful, I did discover the square wire posts are thicker than advertised it required a 1.3 mm hope to inset the so called 1 mm square wire. I have now seen some 0.6 mm square wire for sale which may be ordered shortly.

Post snooze plans, include some work on the muddling shed entrance and alleyway. The forecast does not look good for boat work today. Some minor garden work may also take place pre rain.

SWMBO is only on duty at Woolly Worsted on Sunday, at the moment I still await instructions...

Time for an eyelid inspection.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very slightly damp here this morning. Crickey for mr starts at 1:30pm, rain due at 1pm, humph!

Hope beth's visit to hospital went well and that the journey to the new home goes well.

Mugatea ready so..enjoy your day everyone

Baz

• Like 19

As he was American it's slightly ironic that he had to go all the way to France to get shot.

Yeah - just think of all the money he could have saved by staying home and insulting a few neighbo(u)rs there!

Morning all.

Thanks, Andy, I'm soixante-neuf aussi, and I have awoken a bit stiff and sore. If you see what I mean. Where is Kenneth Williams when you need him?

Will be taking it easy today - I've been given the day off - and apparently the sanding centre still works, I'm just in the doo-doo for smashing the table...

But at least I don't have to cut the grass.

Have a good day, all. The sun is shining, the birds is singing, the day is riz. I'm off to bed until Le Mans starts.

Bore da

Not cricketing weather here in the "Jewel of the Principality".

However, reports indicate it'll be dry by the time the covers come off. (hmmm)

Been practicing my sledging

So, breakfast is underway for the guests, young Ronnie & Reggie, then it's a bus to 'The Beverley' for my breakfast.

All this means I miss the West Country hauled Crewe - Cardiff today, two steam specials missed in three days !

Best wishes to all

Brian R

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Additional dozing not achieved,

Ben patrolled,

Pair of deer spooked,

Ben stopped when called.

BLT consumed,

Mackintosh building burnt out.

Stupidity by MP,

Coffee to be consumed,