The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

"Sorry Peter BB, but our favourite foods are Indian and Thai!"

No need - the joy of ER is that we are different, apart from a specific interest, and can have different opinions without coming to blows.   I believe that one or few other threads definitely do not see 'eye to eye' and seem to try to remove them.

Great to see Smiffy back and enjoying the 'French connection' tales of Ian as well.

• Like 17

Back in 1970, when we wanted to cook pasta (in Sunderland) we had to get our olive oil from the chemist. True. But unbelievable...

Having looked at the Sunderland Facebook page it may still be the case - or at least the contributors wish it were.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well, it’s been a funny old day, quite windy, a few light showers and by mid afternoon the sun was out, although it was still breezy.

After tea, as has now become the norm for a Thursday, I went to Salford Quays for a swim. The water wasn’t as cold as I was expecting it to be, so I was able to just wear my trunks again tonight. However, the water was fairly choppy, but surprisingly, it was still as busy as usual. Despite that I still managed to do 3 1/2 laps, I haven't swim that far non stop since I was 14! I think illl sleep well tonight!

Ph. I had the same experience many years ago, whilst I was still at school a friend and I were walked down the road when we saw what we thought was a mist cloud in front of us. When we finally got to it it was very heavy rain, we actually stood on the boundary and we could put our hands in and out without the rest of us getting wet. We eventually had to walk through it to get to the bus stop and we got absolutely soaking wet.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

About 50 years ago I was working for GPO telephones and was sent to Bunhill Row for some training. After lunch we were just settling in for the afternoon session when the instructor looked out of the window where nothing could be seen except a thick mist. The instructor then told us that we had better go home due to the fog. However the classroom was on the 25th floor, when we reached the ground it was completely clear but there was low cloud.

• Like 16

1st stop in the morning: the First-Tier Tribunal in Feltham.

Followed by 2nd stop: my client's funeral in Mortlake Crematorium.

Followed by 3rd stop: my client's wake, involving loads of CAMRA members.....

Followed by last stop: home.

• Like 16

Good morning one and all

Today is the anniversary of my father’s passing.  Later this morning I will be at Cambridge Crematorium to pay due homage and may divert on the way back to view the street in Godmanchester named after him.

Yesterday I generated some ironing and did a bit of mucking-out, during which two missing magazines were rediscovered.  Much remains to be done but as far as I can tell the only thing I know to be missing  now is a Falcon Brass Gannet ballast hopper fret.  With all that ruddy football on the box for the next century couple of weeks it might be expected that progress will be made.  I make no promises!

Warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal, Simon and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 4

Morning All,

It is somewhat grey this morning, but cool (thankfully!).  It is supposed to brighten up later.

Robert, do you know if it's just Germany or do other European countries deny UK blood donors from donating? Wonder how long the BSE-related ban will last - another 20 or 30 years?

To be honest Mal, I am not sure.  I believe Austria also exclude UK donors, as do France.  I wasn't sure about the latter, but checking the Internet I found the following:

les personnes ayant séjourné au moins un an dans les iles britanniques entre 1980 et 1996 (maladie de Creutzfeldt-Jakob, dite de la « vache folle », due à des protéines de type Prion) (aux États-Unis, ce critère est élargi à toute personne ayant résidé 5 ans en Europe depuis 1980)

So it appears to be the same in France.

I was once told that it can take 30 years for CJD to manifest itself - so I guess the ban will be in place for a while yet.

Have a good day everyone...

Bore da 

Little to report from the jewel of the Principality.

Yesterday, I couldn't muster the 'where with all' to move my rear end and view a Black Five that passed within a couple of miles of home !

Tomorrow,Father's Day comes early, with daughter and son-in-law treating yours truly to a 'one day'  sledging session between England and Australia at Sophia Gardens; sadly Alistair, the other railway loving dad (or is it father-in-law  ?) has been admitted to hospital again and cannot make the trip from Malvern.

So, with Ronnie & Reggie also staying overnight tonight and Saturday, last evening saw some work on their 5' x 3'  "Horse Halt & Cow Junction" empire which occupies our loft.

Next season's Premiership fixtures were released yesterday, allowing many hereabouts to eventually breath out !

Having treated oneself ( O.K. diverted finances from the 'railway' fund to the 'when Saturday comes fund' ) to a season ticket at the Cardiff City Stadium, I will most likely spend August to May asking 'why did I bother ?

Best wishes and regards to all.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

MooringAwl, Inner Temple Here,

Another very bad nights sleep, Not helped by coming down stairs, to find the two dictatorships kicking a piece of leather around some plastic reinforced grass clogging up the TV and much of the news..

With the change in wind direction and us on the coast finally getting a warm wind. I found Ben the Border Collie sprawled out on the cold hard floor, instead of being curled up in his nice soft bed.

Getting home last night I rememebered to put a piece of wood into the Landrover along with my mini drill sett so I can make a template for fencing, 16mm between uprights, to keep the sheep off of  the rathad iarainn. For the landrover I've Also ordered, a combined carcam and Navigator, and a CB set. I've reached the stage of updates to the Landrover's inside, where I need to get all the wiring in of anything electronic.

Our local Tescos some time ago sold off the land they had bought for expansion where they will build "retirement homes". Now the adjoining piece of land which was the staff car park is up for sale. The Tescos carpark is already often jam packed it will get worse now...

Yet another set of ssigns on the NDR have been demolished at one of the roundabouts.. I've never seen so many accidents at junctions in such a short time on a new road, surely the council still can't sit on it's hands saying they are built to all national standards..

Right...

Time to Go do the last two shunts and then lots of electronic paperwork for them, Then I've got a Temperature meter to calibrate that came in for repair...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny Bournemouth. Yesterday was meant to be a quiet day however things changed. Beth woke with disturbed vision in her right eye. This didn't clear while we went out to inspect the trailer, which was OK, so she rang her optician (Sister in law)for a consultation. Barbara suspects a floater but advised contacting the local eye clinic. We did this and now have an appointment at the Royal Bournemouth at 09.00. This meant that we spent the afternoon packing in case we have to spend most of today at the hospital.

Then it was out for a very nice meal at one of our favourite restaurants. We are now up and about and will do some final packing before leaving for the hospital. Depending on whether treatment is needed we may be there all day so contingency plans have been made for ferry crossings etc. Hopefully it will work out OK.

Warm thoughts to all, especially the keepers of black dogs.

Jamie

Another very bad nights sleep, Not helped by coming down stairs, to find the two dictatorships kicking a piece of leather around some plastic reinforced grass clogging up the TV and much of the news..

Agreed - I'm no football fan. To be honest, I am fed up with it already.

Given Germany's performance in the last World Cup, you can imagine how much "in depth analysis" we have already had to put up with!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Jamie. Good luck with Beth’s eye outcome.

Football avoider plan in hand to try and find pubs that don’t have it on TV. That is likely to mean avoiding our localcfor some time.

Last night was a total farce again on GTR. Four Thameslinks in a row cancelled out of LBG included no two of our services. Decided to leave work a little early to catch the Uckfield service to ECR but that developed a fault so we took a chance on the Caterham and Tattenham Corner service that is often delayed or cancelled each Thursday due to awaiting a driver etc. Luckily it did depart close to time and we then bailed at Coulsdon Town to get a bus home.

Then it was to mums bungalow to see if it’s close enough to being ready for mum to move in.

This morning our Thameslink service is diverted away from London Bridge yet again.

At least we have a weekend not using the trains.

T -10 day’s left of commuting

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny here and it should be a nice dry day although there is a chance of the odd shower later.

Domestic duties this morning and maybe some gardening this afternoon although my hip is already complaining.

No round ball games will be watched here today. I may possibly watch the England games, then again I may not. As you all know my main sporting interest involves a funny shaped ball. There are a couple of games over the weekend but I'll miss South Africa v England tomorrow due to Gemma's birthday BBQ and party however I will see England v France on Sunday in the final of the World U20 Championship (ITV 4 ko 18.00)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - I'm no football fan. To be honest, I am fed up with it already.

Given Germany's performance in the last World Cup, you can imagine how much "in depth analysis" we have already had to put up with!

We have a scoring system............

Whenever we see a car with an England flag we score 1 point, however, it is only valid if the spotter also grunts Dangle  and, Dangle and.

You score 2 points when you see a flag in the gutter.

But can anyone tell me why the England team bus was left in a short stay car park at LHR?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, citizens. Been kept busy by work and family, so apologies for the past few days of non-appearance. Best wishes and sympathies as appropriate!

Bit excited today, about the reason for which I'll try to post later, possibly tomorrow or on Sunday! :dance:

Later…

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The weather here is dull but warm, with a slight breeze. Well I must have been very tired yesterday, as I didn’t get up this morning until after 9:00 this morning. Breakfast has now been consumed and once Sheila has finished the small amount of ironing that needs doing, I can make a start on tonight’s curry. There won’t be any football watched here, I was so disgusted with England’s performance that I haven’t watched a game since 2010, and so it will remain. Ah, she’s just put the ironing board away, so I’m off to the kitchen

Back later

• Like 15