The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull here at the moment and we had a light shower earlier but hopefully it will brighten up after lunch.

Rather a late start for me due to possibly over indulging last night but a great time was had by all.

Regrettably I've never given blood but will always be grateful to donors as I had to have a transfusion back in 1996. Unfortunately because of this I'm not allowed to give any back.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all.   Slightly more time now as we have had our morning expedition and returned safely. The trailer is fine and on the way back we got a few things that we needed. The last bureaucratic phone call to the DWP has been made and all things such as pensions/benefits seem to be sorted out. Refunds from Leeds City Council and our energy suppliers have arrived ready safely in the bank. The car has been filled with diesel and a meal has been booked for tonight.

As to the saga of the woman whose furniture is in the shed, that has progressed. I got a phone call yesterday from her. She now wants to arrive on Sunday morning at 8am along with her daughter and a pantechnican. I tried to tell her that there might be problems getting a large lorry through the gate and that her arriving on Saturday wasn't feasible as I have things to move in the shed to give her access. At this she got annoyed and started to slag me off for being negative and trying to tell me how good she's been at paying. I ended up having to put the phone down on her but told her that we would see her at 8am on Sunday. She was meant to be arriving on Monday which would have given us chance to sort things before she arrived. All will be revealed in due course.

C'est la vie.

Anyway lunchtime has arrived.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Greetings all, good to see updates from our French exiles, albeit not all the news is good. Congratulations to GDB and Mrs GDB and best wishes to those who are ailing, physically, mentally, or spiritually.

Tomorrow sees Elder Lurker's last GCSE. Where has that time all gone? Not on revision, from what I observe!

It's funny, all this food thing. Not being part of the 50s I only have family anecdotes to go buy. My Mum relates her horror that my Grandma used to serve my Dad curry with both chips and rice, and that he expected the same once they were married. The conclusion I draw is that curries were known in both northwest and southeast London.* My Grandma had been in service before the war, but worked as a cleaner thereafter. My recollection of her food was that it was generally very tasty but not always meat and two veg. And her bakestones made every visit worthwhile for her favourite grandson (an easy win, there was no competition). My Mum is still a very adventurous cook; the last time we went, she produced a chicken tagine. She often cooked Chinese or Indian style foods and made her own pizzas etc; but this was in the 70s, not the 50s.

What I also have observed is that families either have a tradition of enjoying food, well cooked at home, or they don't. It doesn't necessarily seem to be a class thing; more that some people live to eat while others eat to live. I would place myself in the former category!

*The other conclusion I draw is that their relationship was very conventional...if I had suggested something like that to Mrs Lurker, she would probably have countered with the suggestion that I cook it myself. Which I would have done.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably I've never given blood

You could have fooled me!

Is there anywhere in your humble abode which has not had it's fair share over the years?

The transfusion service might not want it, but from your musings, plenty of other inanimate objects have benefited from your generosity.

Funnily enough, I cannot give blood either after an odd lump was discovered on my chest. Although it has been seen by various quacks, no one has come up with a definitive answer as to what it is.  But on declaring it to the blood letting persons, they decided not to take any more of my blood, until a diagnosis had been made, just to be on the safe side.

20 + years later, I am still waiting!

Afternoon all

Really good to see Smiffy back here, and belated happy anniversary congratulations to Mr & Mrs GDB.

Still blustery here - has been all night. Was expecting hours of heavy rain, too, but it must have fallen elsewhere, it's been dry here.

Robert, do you know if it's just Germany or do other European countries deny UK blood donors from donating? Wonder how long the BSE-related ban will last - another 20 or 30 years?

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 15

No better off Ivan ... what are 'mung beans'.  .....

Here, these are mung beans

....Regrettably I've never given blood.....

You could have fooled me!

Is there anywhere in your humble abode which has not had it's fair share over the years?

The transfusion service might not want it, but from your musings, plenty of other inanimate objects have benefited from your generosity....

I'll say.

My advice is: wash your hands after touching anything that "grandadbob" might conceivably have stabbed himself on.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

SInce Granddad was able as an NCO in the British Army to take Grandma out to British India ( an uncle was born out there) I suspect that side of the family were quite well aquainted with curries by the time they came home. Though I remember food from the early 60's as being roast on Sunday, cold sliced on monday, and something made from the remains on Tuesday.

In the late 1950s  on average one third of wages was spent on food and non alcoholic drink and that was food to live not to like...

Today thats 15% with a large proportion being food to enjoy...

In the late 1950s the average spend on clothing was 10% of wages.... and again that was mostly because you didn't want to be naked. 

Today the average is 5% again a lot of that on non-essentials.

1950's 6% on heating and lighting,

now 3%

Housing1950's 9%

Now 20%

entertainment 1950s.. 9%

Now 20%

Of course travel has gone up because we all do much more travelling, from 9% to 18%..

All the above is of course after the Tax man has been...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Peeps

Really late up today I still feel ruff SWMBO  T.F.C :girldevil: . has been on my case since the week end :secret: (a disorder known as SWMBOitus)

perhaps its that. :resent:

Yesterday I recieved my first coach for my Indian Hill layout, some names I have been batting around for a while and decided on

"The Charwallah & Tetley Hill Railway" (C. & T. H. R.)  it's a bit of fun and something to mess about with in the winter when I can't 

access the main layout in the garage it was costing a fortune to heat it. 

Her is out shopping hopefully there will be a "Super Soaker" in the arsenal today to combat the wood pigeons they are carping on

everything in the garden, a brain dead neighbour :fool:  has taken to feeding them.                                 :hunter:  :hunter:

Saw this in a shop last week while away on holiday  :biggrin_mini2:

post-8647-0-96952700-1528980938_thumb.jpg

Off to the layout. 

Enjoy your day C.R.Eamcrakered  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Aft-a-noon all

Belated anniversary wishes to GDB and his good lady. And a warm welcome back to a couple of recent absentees.

Still feeling tired today but sat on the terrace in the afternoon sun after another act of Normacy. DiL spent over an hour trying to plan a trip to Selfridges then missed the train which was somehow my fault. She had clear instructions but decided they were not good enough and wanted an app that would know where she was and tell her the way. Apparently Siri and Alexa can’t do that .......

No matter. The music is on, the glass is full (though is being steadily half-emptied) and I took a picture of our strawberry plant in flower.

post-3305-0-63132800-1528981865_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18

I said I would recount the story of my French neighbours to counterpoint Ian's tales of rampant randyism and festering feuds.

We bought our place in 2000, and we have a house in a hamlet of 2! Our neighbour then was Marie-Louise and her son, Claude. Marie-Louise was old, and beaten down by a lifetime of farming. I remember her, at the age of 70+, rolling her sleeves up as she went up to the barn on the other side of our house to perform a difficult calving. Over a few short years she was claimed by arthritis, new hips and age. I went in for one of our customary 'petit-verres' a bit before she died, and she told me that she couldn't sleep for pain, that it was all terribly hard and she yearned for release...

When she die the farm was worked by Claude - all dairy in those days, when ordinary farmers could make a living out of milk, before 'les grandes surfaces' pushed the price down to such an extent that there are half as many dairy farmers in Normandy now as there were in 2000. 

Claude was a lovely man, tall, lollopy and invariably cheerful - he even laughed when he told me how he has been standing on a pile of pallets when his foot slipped between the planks and he fell over the edge - only to be stopped by his ankle breaking! He was a devil with a chainsaw, never any safety gear, and I remember him working to cut down a willow tree (one of mine) laying on his stomach with his head inches from the blade.

He had a sister, Elisabeth, and she has two sons, Florian and Gautier. We are pretty sure it was Florian, about fifteen years ago, who threw rocks through our windows. He showed up one day asking if we had any peat that he could use for planting something up. When I said I didn't think we had any he told me it was in one of our outhouses. The boy who tried to destroy a wasp nest by pouring boiling water on it. Elisabeth (who lived in the Ile de France) was always distant when we met her, unlike Claude who was the best neighbour we could have.

Florian eventually came to live with Claude, sent from Paris because of 'some trouble'. He never seemed to do much, like school, but he did make heroic attempts to ride a motorbike whilst smoking a cigarette.

Then we got a letter, in England, telling us that Claude had died. In strange circumstances. It seems that after a storm he had been trimming back an oak with some broken branches. Being Claude he was doing this standing in the bucket of his tractor, and possibly a couple of straw bales. He either fell and had a heart attack, or had a heart attack and fell. It was three days before he was found, and he was still alive, but brain dead. Three days. Whilst Florian was living with him.

Elisabeth has taken over the farm, but is relinquishing the rented fields and selling the others. She has resigned from a good job in Paris (in a bank) to look after Florian in la France profonde. She has found him training and a college course but he has never lasted more than a week.

Elisabeth is now much more friendly - we share cake and wine every week or so - but Florian is still a nightmare. "My cross" she calls him. The last time I spoke to him he was telling me how the allies used nuclear weapons on Normandy in WW2 and hw the Welsh are angry about Brexit because it means they will have to leave the Euro. Just say no, kids.

He is also obsessed with kittens, but that's another story, which may not always turn out well for the kittens.

I'll leave that for another day, the couscous is ready!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

afternoon form a still windy but very sunny North West Leeds Highlands. Listening to Essex v Yorkshire on the radio.. some of teh players take me back to their time in Junior county cricket...Coad, Fisher, Carver, Tattersall.. lummy am I that old???

Time for some wine of the red variety as I have added yet more items to Ebay...

BUT food wise.. Dick I was force fed smoked roll mops and also plain roll mops.. but I do enjoy the odd one nowadays.

Our treat if we went down the allotments was a piece of fresh rhubarb and a bit of sugar....or fresh "scotch" tomatoes (the yellow ones).

As her indoors was born and brought up in Grimsby we don't eat Cod (its for fish glue/feeding to cats) but I love all sort of fish.. but generally cooked although I really like sushi... enough about food..I need a drink!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Many of the poppies that were flowering this morning have lost their petals to the wind. However replacements are still coming on especially with this afternoons sunshine. I did volunteer to give blood once and was rejected! The reason was I was taking medication for my arthritis, I am now considered to old to give blood.

• RMweb Premium

Congrats to MR & Mrs GDB.

Welcome back Dick.

Thoughts to others that are numerous.

Golf was played today. By 'eck it was a bit windy out there. Plenty of "allow for t' draft" as my playing partner advised.

A good win - my first away win for the Senior League team with a 3-match each draw at the end, but as away match wins count for 3 points to a 2 point home win, the team were victorious 9-6.

Another day off Friday - golf at 5pm. Club doubles knockout.

Not quite certain of daytime plans, but the first part will probably include a lie-in.

In the meantime, the modelling shed beckons - I may be back later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Flavio mentioned having to travel into London to find exotic foodstuffs. I can remember struggling to find an aubergine in Southend in the mid 1970s. It hadn't been a problem the previous year when I was at Keele University. The nearest town, Newcastle under Lyme, had a wide range of produce.

Mung beans are used to produce one of my favourite Indian dishes, moong ki dal. Not sure if it features on restaurant menus. MiL is pleased I like it as it wasn't something her family liked.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

... I can remember struggling to find an aubergine in Southend in the mid 1970s. ...

Sarfend has widened its culture to such an extent that Ryanair is coming to Sarfend Airport, also known as London East.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Which will unfortunately exclude you from donating, Bill!

90 donations!  I thought that I had another 3 years to achieve the remaining 10 donations to my ton.  But apparently, so long as I can achieve 2 donation per annum, I can carry on beyond the age of 70.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Youngest Herbert had to fly to dublin today for meetings with his new employers. They booked his flight from Manchester as they didn't realise leeds has an airport doh! He says it was a bit "bumpy"

Yorkshire won, now to take on the kolpacks.. sorry Hampshire.

Red wine was ok, food was excellent so now time for some eyelid inspection.

Night to most! I hope that all who ail have a restful night!

Baz

• Like 16