The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I always come off at meadowhall drop down to the Sainsbury's petrol station almost beneath it and rejoin the other side of the viaduct.. a huge saving on motorway fuel prices..

It's wet out there, that wasn't forecast, Ben's patrolled, I'm having porridge reinforced with some amber liquid...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit misty outside but should go before I set off for my match at Morley.

This trip will make use of various deviations to my normal route to avoid the international Triathlon taking place in Leeds this weekend.

Now for my mugatea!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dull but mild here at the moment, no great plans, we were going to go out to the place where we had our wedding reception for lunch but last night we decided a curry would be the better choice - and indeed it was a very good choice.

68s around later so something to get out and about for, gardening needs doing which will be done after the train when the cooler weather is around, and more importantly the train has been captured on pixels.

The Mrs has decreed that I have to make the second tea of the day so I better get a shift on - later.

• Like 17

We have had a murder in sunny Teignmouth. I'm waiting to find out if the culprit is who I think it is.

Woken this morning by a massive fight, crows v magpies next door. Not sure who won but it sure was noisy.

Presently cloud covered here but it may clear.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just a quick look in as I'm off in about half an hour  to a toy fair. There was a report on the news this morning that there was an earthquake centred on Grimsby last night. One of the locals thought it was a heavy lorry going past but no reports of any damage. Bye for now, back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning and its brightened up out there since I had my bowl of cereal at 5am ish.

Negative scanning continuing and may be some gardening later.

Certainly no trains round here to photograph as the lines through Redhill are shut today.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Lovely and sunny here at the moment and a dry warm day is forecast.

Up rather late after a fairly heavy night with friends here. Lots drunk and a great time had by all.

However I didn't sleep too well thanks to a painful hip and got up with a headache. After a good breakfast am now feeling rather better and may finish off the shed today.

Rugby watched yesterday and England made a cracking start and were on top for the first 20 minutes. After that....not so much and they struggled for the next 50 minutes after South Africa woke up due mainly to the smallest bloke on the pitch, one Faf de Klerk, who played an absolute blinder and was rightly made Man of the Match. Once again England gave away silly penalties culminating in Mako Vunipola getting binned although that woke them up and they improved greatly in the last 10 minutes but it wasn't enough.  There were some good performances from some of the England players but they've still got a way to go.

Quite a long way when you look at New Zealand and their demolition of France.

Later today I'll be watching the Argentina v Wales game I recorded last night. 

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Breakfast had after the interruptions of the night.

I am now in the queue at Teddington Memorial Hospital as DiL has decreed that a sniffle and a sore throat warrants seeing a doctor. Bang goes my lunch at the Borough’s Best Banger competition which is an annual part of the Twickenham Festival.

And why has SWMBO not accompanied her mother and instead has insisted it is my duty? She, too, claims to be feeling slightly below par and has returned to bed.

A day in the life of a Greybeard.

See you anon.

Mmmmmm nice win on the cards for Scotland. BBC has 360 for 4 and also 359 for 5 on their page. All quite amusing.

We give these sports to the World and then they damned well best us. When will we learn?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

This morning's preparation for boat rebuild turned into boat rebuild. Or in this case, cutting up the boat. The side decks have been removed where required, leaving just the old centreboard box holding things together. I'll have to use a reciprocating saw on that as I built it quite heavily.and the jig saw won't reach.

After that some dividing hedges were trimmed,

Now resting before a long soak in the bath...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from Estuary-Land. Returned from the toy fair with a few goodies having expended a few modelling tokens, had a bit of lunch and now for muggatee and to catch up on the goings on on RMweb.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just finished with the catching up since yesterday.  All posts are read and rated, and greetings are on offer to everybody who is ailing or celebrating.  Still no news of Debs, though.

Yesterday was consumed by a trip to Garstang and to a Garden Centre nearby and today was an early start to stand the A6 car boot, which we both had agreed to to do - and TBH it wasn't worth the early start or the time expended.  I also discovered when I sold a few old railway mags from the 1940s and 50s that there were only three there - I took about six with me - so some light fingered bar steward must have nicked three - I was only asking about a quid each for them as well.

Then this afternoon, we went to Gresgarth Hall gardens again - they really are quite delightful, and are worth a visit if you're ever in this area on the second Sunday of each month.  Admission is free to members of the Historic Houses Association as well.

Back tomorrow - quack's appointment first thing, so possibly back after that.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, I am duly returned from 'near Chertsey' having had quite a pleasant day watching trains, chatting to a couple of past work colleagues, and pulling the occasional signal or point lever.  In an effort to make the day realistic for any regular commuters on Southern who fancied a bit of a change there was even an intermittent points failure at Everglades Jcn although few delays resulted.  I might take a risk and post a few pics tomorrow but although one of them shows a hint of it in the background the views do not capture the continuous drone of the M25 or the rumble overhead of recent departures from LHR

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

back from my match. No problems encountered however, the ICC umpires made a complete b0ll)cks of the Scotland v England game. Mr Sole consistently bowls back foot no-balls. Not one called...in a league game around here the umpire would have been lynched for not getting that one right.

Fancied a beer but her indoors poorly so can't face a walk to the pub!

time for some food and maybe a beer from a bottle!

Baz

• Like 3

Mmmmmm nice win on the cards for Scotland. BBC has 360 for 4 and also 359 for 5 on their page. All quite amusing.

We give these sports to the World and then they damned well best us. When will we learn?

back from my match. No problems encountered however, the ICC umpires made a complete b0ll)cks of the Scotland v England game. Mr Sole consistently bowls back foot no-balls. Not one called...in a league game around here the umpire would have been lynched for not getting that one right.

C'mon, guys, let's have some congratulations! This is the first time Scotland have ever beaten England at one-day Cricket! Trebles all round! :O  :sungum: 

• Like 8

Back home yesterday after our week at Loch Lomond, if only for a few days, as we travel south during the week to visit my mother in Berkshire. It will be the first time we have travelled there by train in living memory, so I just hope everything will run to time. In the meantime, we are trying to get the garden back into shape, and have my first trip on the Ratty on Tuesday, if only as a passenger for the time being.

It seems that I probably overdid things while on holiday, as I now feel totally knackered, but will hopefully recover for our trip south.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  It has been a day of tensions and frustrations (see previous posts) and now it is time for bed.  The alarm is still sounding intermittently next door; the new tenants are due to sign up at 10am tomorrow and might get a bit of a surprise.  We have also dropped them in a welcoming card and an invite to enjoy a cuppa tea.  Night all.  Moan-day will arrive too soon.

It occurs to me that I suddenly can't find the instruction sheets for a couple of kits: Bradwell "WD" and SEF "USA" tank. Can't remember whether they're up in the attic (no idea, when the kits are down here) or whether they are in one of the many boxes in the shed.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

After a lie-in and breakfast in bed, I finally made it to the workshop about 11:00. Anyway, the chisel and plane have been finished off, I completely stripped down the plane to its component parts and gave it a thorough clean.

After dinner I made a start on an engine for Max’s birthday, which is not until December, but we all know how these things can drag on a bit!

After tea we had some really heavy rain, I wasn’t expecting it, but anyway, the garden will benefit from it.

Goodnight all.

• Like 17