The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday's golf went well. We did try to throw away a 3 up with 3 to play lead but prevailed on the first extra hole. The evening drinking/Golf was enjoyed far more when my mate said he would drive Saturday morning picking me up at 6am..... the original plan was for only a couple. It soon became more. We came second and won more alcohol!

Just returning from a day out at Long Marston. Lots of photos taken for future reference purposes. There may be an hour of eyelid inspection when I get home.

Catch up later

Cheers

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Last raised bed almost filled, potatoes planted.

While digging soil for raised bed, back said, you're not doing any more of this today. So I drove into town for fuel for the lawnmower and missing shopping items. Hmm probably not the best time to go lunch time Saturday, too many cockwombles but since SWMBO wasn't there, the butcher's do a nice range of filled baguettes yum...

On returning I mowed the lawn while SWMBO took Ben the Border Collie for his long walk. I finished after about 2.5 hours. Then I had a problem, my right hip locked up, it was very painful getting off the mower. Probably not as painful as my mums hip feels, hers was replaced yesterday, on my parents 61st wedding aniversary.

So anyway I'm now laid out flat on the bed straightening. Hip and back, while playing with this new tablet. It slowly getting loaded with the programmes I want, excuse me while I alter the settings of navmii, its bossing me about in American...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

match umpired...under 14s acting like 5 year olds.. Started in cold overcast, finished in Scorchio sun.

Checked out my rules for a cup game tomorrow..Every game I umpire has different rules. Why?  Please discuss...

Now needing major eyelid inspection but a glass of white wine may be of more use.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Yet another totally scorchio day on the rock, that's 3 weeks now.

TT is over, the island slowly gets back to normal over the weekend.  As in back to sleep!  It's about 1958 here, and I don't mean two minutes to eight.  No bad thing either.

Lawrence, my BP is always 160/100 in the surgery - but in the region of 130/85 at home which is deemed OK - the ideal 120/80 is occasionally achieved but my GP is OK with anything 130/90 and under in my own readings.  I'm not 19 any more.....for the last 40 years!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Looked out about an hour ago and saw that everything was damp, we must have caught a passing shower. It must have been short as its still muggy. I counted the buds on the triffid poppy today, no less than twelve plus the two that have flowered and some of the others have also flowered. Time to put the kettle on for tea, be back later.

• Like 15

It was the driest May on record here - 1.6mm of rain against an average of 65mm. There has been significant rain yesterday and today. Cars tires are leaving trails of bubbles on the road surface, brown-coloured bubbles in places, and gutters are running brown, too. The roads are also very slippery with the combination of oil, rubber dust and water. The car tires were even spinning slightly on road markings and smooth sealant over cracks in the tarmac when starting away uphill from traffic lights. However, with the amount of rain already fallen and expected, roads should be a lot better by tomorrow.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

A quiet one for a Saturday even by local standards.  SWMBO cooked a pork-in-cider stew for dinner while I assisted by preparing the peas.  I decanted them from the packet to the pan and boiled the water all by myself ;)

There followed a somewhat tedious hour of television-watching which must be performed in silence for the satisfaction of DiL.  I wasn't even interested in the programme so decamped to the Sanctuary and began sorting through items required for my weathering showcase next month.  

Not long into this process I was invited upstairs for a muggertee and enjoyed a lengthy and very easy-going chat with the two remaining flatmates.  Noisy Lad, he of the Hippo-dancing feet, has moved out as planned.  

Nothing specific on the agenda for tomorrow but awakening, breakfasting and continuing to breathe would all be very welcome.  Meanwhile a good night / nos da to all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Day (part thereof) J2 proceeded satisfactorily - one advantage of having an ancient mower with blades that smash their way through stuff as much as they cut means it's ideal for having a go at some undergrowth when used at an angle.  Not easy work but a sufficiency was done to impress the management.  Fortunately a drop of rain stopped further 'play'.  tomorrow is indeed play as it's Father's Day treat day - running a week early - and off to sunny Surry to visit the GCR and probably pull a few signal levers but definitely spend time putting the world to rights with an old work colleague or two.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

After a brief lie-in this morning, I went straight out to the workshop. I sorted out the drawer that I keep all my lathe accessories and drills and labelled tins that I keep some of my taps and dies in, so I don’t have to keep opening them to see what’s inside. After that I decided to sharpen my wood chisels and my plane. They’d become a little blunt over time, but the plane was in a mess after getting it back after loaning it out. From the state it looked like they’d planed over a few nails! I won’t be lending it out again, that’s for sure. Anyway, by the end of the afternoon I’d sharpened 4 chisels and ground the last chisel and plane, which are now ready for honing, which I will complete tomorrow.

Although my leg is still a little sore, it’s better than yesterday, so I’m hoping that it was something minor. I would normally assume I’d walked into something, swore like a trooper at the time and then forgotten about it, but there is no bruising, or swelling, so I’m not so sure what I’ve done. Here’s hoping that there is even more improvement tomorrow.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Two words: "Money Talks" :rolleyes:

All mine says is “Goodbye” or is that “Good buy”?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. A genuine ER and on Sunday at that.

An hour ago I was woken by the sound of an intermittent alarm from next door’s kitchen. No-one is living there currently.

A quick check suggested nothing amiss but it could be the carbon monoxide detector and CO is underectable by humans.

I called the out-of-hours service who sent the emergency gas man. Had it been CO he has the authority to break in and vent the property.

After some time testing every door, window and vent he is satisfied the problem will be solved by replacing a battery.

Still better safe than sorry eh?

It was the driest May on record here - 1.6mm of rain against an average of 65mm. There has been significant rain yesterday and today. Cars tires are leaving trails of bubbles on the road surface, brown-coloured bubbles in places, and gutters are running brown, too. The roads are also very slippery with the combination of oil, rubber dust and water. The car tires were even spinning slightly on road markings and smooth sealant over cracks in the tarmac when starting away uphill from traffic lights. However, with the amount of rain already fallen and expected, roads should be a lot better by tomorrow.

I think it's best to try to keep your emulsions in check. Isn't that what we're supposed to be good at? :)

Been very dry and warm too, but it's been whizzing all day here. We did manage a paw patrol this evening. Snow forecast for the mountains this week, but it's still not officially Summer.

• Like 17

But it's not all bad news: Metformin, a drug for diabetes, has been found to curb certain cancer cells' intake of glucose which leads to them dying off. A herbal equivalent is Berberine. Another example is a drug for a fungal conditions on nails which has been found to curb bowel cancer cells' growth - itraconazole. The problem here is that because the drugs cost so little to produce, with a lower profit, drugs companies will not test them for cancer trials because they will not make any money from them (patently (pun intended), the hippocratic oath does not apply to drugs companies), even though they may help many cancer sufferers. As they've not been tested, Nice will not allow them to be prescribed by the NHS.

I did read about a recent breakthrough. Realistically it's probably far from being an available treatment, but it does seem to make a lot of sense. It's likely we all have cells that try to protect us from the continuous genetic abnormalities caused by all sorts of external factors that lead to cancers, but sometimes they are overwhelmed.

The idea is to identify those benign cells through DNA analysis (unique to us), clone them in massive numbers externally then re-inject them into our systems. It has actually produced spectacular results with terminal breast-cancer patients.

• Like 8

The idea is to identify those benign cells through DNA analysis (unique to us), clone them in massive numbers externally then re-inject them into our systems. It has actually produced spectacular results with terminal breast-cancer patients.

I read it a bit differently. As I understood it, it was the DNA of the cancer cells that was analysed to identify the gene change(s) which had caused them to become cancerous. The immune cells that were reacting to those specific changes were identified, then grown outside the body in large numbers and re-injected as you describe.

As you say, it appears to have definite possibilities for producing treatments for individual cancers in individual patients.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,inner temple here,

I've had about 6 hours sleep, which is good, but I lie here in pain. My back is extremely painful and I don't feel like getting up at the moment. I suspect it will be little red pills for breakfast Along with my Metformin.

While lying here watching TV, about various computer related arrangements for kicking a piece of leather round some grass, I realised it's approximately 39 years since I built my first computer by soldering chips onto a board,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compukit_UK101 where did the time go..

Once i surface I'm hoping to work on my sailing boat today, mostly preparation work ready to start this years effort at rebuilding.

Something is occasionally putting up full screen adverts on this tablet, only if I've not typed or done something for some time. I don't know yet which programme is causing it, as I did a lot of sorting software yesterday and I'm trying several new free apps.

Time to ... roll over and see if I can find a more comfortable position for further snoozing.

I read it a bit differently. As I understood it, it was the DNA of the cancer cells that was analysed to identify the gene change(s) which had caused them to become cancerous. The immune cells that were reacting to those specific changes were identified, then grown outside the body in large numbers and re-injected as you describe.

As you say, it appears to have definite possibilities for producing treatments for individual cancers in individual patients.

Maybe you did, but the important point is that our own bodies are quite capable of producing all sorts of defenses against invasive or replicative abnormalities. Sometimes they need a little help.

• Like 10

Good morning one and all

i was in Huddersfield yesterday for the AGM of the Scalefour Society.  The journey in both directions was good and even the buckets and spades between junctions 23A and 25 was not too much of a handicap.  Breakfast was taken at Donnington services because I was running so well that I was too early for Leicester Forest East.  Fuel for the car was loaded at Meadowhall.   I reasoned that a major hub like that would have the cheapest fuel and so it did until I reached Huddersfield where i found it rather cheaper.  Have I ever mentioned my bafflement with petrol pricing?  Mileage total for the day was 310 or thereabouts so I am not quite fresh as a daisy this morning.  A soak in the bath will help.  Today I ought to do some weeding but it is more likely that I will download the honours list and search for familiar names.  File under sad.

Brian W, I am a martyr to cramp.  It tends to strike me in both thighs in the wee small hours of the morning, always when there is not a bottle of tonic water or other source of quinine to be had.  Mal, what you say about metformin is most interesting.  I am prescribed it for type 2 diabetes and must remember to ask Professor Oncologist about its effect on cancer when next I see him.  Andyram, I hope the dinner went well and that those admin clowns get their act together.

Warm thoughts to all in distress

Chris

• Like 17