The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Weather reasonable and Mrs stationmaster has decided to wash the bed linen - change of weather now expected.

Dave you do need to watch those plastic pockets and hopefully you won't suffer but there were some on the market about 30-40 years ago which contained a chemical which damaged the contents - particularly good at leeching the ink off printed matter such as postcards so well worth a check through everything you saved in them.

No plans for today but I suspect the J (for jungle) word will get a mention so it might turn out to be a strimmers r us day if i can't think of any excuses.

Have  good day one and all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Rick will give a sigh of relief upon reading this news item from Brisbane:

attachicon.gifTR2gJQz.jpg

Apparently this is real.....

Best, Pete.

I generally do breathe a sigh of relief at such times. Either because I have reached a suitable location in time or just that moment of “letting go”.

Now enjoy your POETS Day ;)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Yo Peeps 

I'm back to p!ss you all off again, had a great few days in the Cotswolds many a train ridden and many an ice cream eaten,

so as not to upset the AWL ALL fraternity I will post non train photo's of my epic trip.

post-8647-0-70012500-1528468528_thumb.jpg

post-8647-0-90956700-1528468560_thumb.jpg

enjoy you day P Fogg

Edited by 81C
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Back for a quicK checkin whole 30747 does an eyelid inspection - well I would too if at 61 I was looking after a load of 2-4yo kids.

As usual, all posts are read and rated, which should bode well for tomorrow morning, which is when I should check in again.

Fodder run to Aldi is done - and I really can't believe how much I'm saving compared to Sainsbugs, De-Nesco, Morreasons, and Asd* (and of course other supermarkets are available if you look).

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon. PETs has occurred a little earlier than usual as train up Creek a bit more than usual due to an earlier broken down train at Purley. No Tewin from LBG yo RDH for over an hour so on an Uckfield service and will hopefully pick up a train from ECR.

Then need to drive yo Whyteleafe to meet my other half before heading to mums bungalow to check up on work progress.

Blooming utilities, they fitted the smart meter to electricity but not to gas. The utilities Wi t talk to builder but only mum who being 86 just does not understand all the tech. As she is in Devon, brother has spent hours on telephone after mum gave permission for him to talk yo utilities but thrn they decided they would need a power of attorney to deal with brother. So mum may be movi g in with no gas supply but we do have another possible way to get it sorted. Report a gas leak then it will hopefully be reconnected a d did the smart meter.

Update

Our connection from ECR now 11 late due to another broken down train

Edited by roundhouse

Do the pharmaceutical companies advertise prescription drugs on TV in the UK? They do here and it's turned into a real racket. They now invent diseases so that they can sell more "cures". Apparently for every dollar spent on real research nineteen dollars are spent on marketing. Sheesh!

Hot news from Minnesota (we don’t get much apart from “Brit has Apoplexy” etc.):

[Hot News from attachment=1014604:FB_IMG_1514954352367.jpg]

Best, Pete.

Indeed - that's done the rounds here many times - BUT, best to avoid showing the significant other unless you fancy sitting like that in an outhouse in such temperatures :O  :jester:

• Like 12

Yello... POETS, and today is a certainly WILL POE :)

Nothing transpired to report yesterday, simply working <yawn>

Went to an evening celebration at our church for the 40th anniversary (and 25 years at our church) of one of the priests. Amazing guy who's championed so many causes and marginal groups over the years, including going every year with a group as part of Arm-In-arm in Africa!

Excellent tribute to someone we've known for 25 years now.

TODAY we're off to our first major concert of the year...

post-20244-0-35474500-1528473638.jpg

8PM - Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

We'll be meeting our friends/concert goers/travelling companions for a pre-concert dinner, so POE is a must :)

16 this AM, overcast and expecting some occasional showers/thunderstorms later, high reaching 23, perhaps.

Enjoy the day and let's all POE if possible, I'll be at the bar by 6PM, if you happen to be around ;)

• Like 14

Evening all

Another bright and sunny day here with a slight onshore breeze keeping any mugginess at bay.

I see they are blaming the fall of the House of Frazer on the internet. But I don't think the House of Frazer had the market that is mostly being eaten by the internet. Saying that I've only been in one branch about three times and that was a short cut from  the car park at Meadow Hall (Sheffield).

The problem with House of Fraser is that it's not really a destination shop and never had any excitement about it. Today's Guardian ran down the list of retailers who've announced high street closures so far this year and it's not pretty reading. There's a lot of redundancies coming down the track.

The road through Arthur's Seat is shut this weekend - it's the Moonwalk tomorrow night then a Suffragette march on Sunday. Course I'll be on both :no:

Hope your evenings are warm.

Mal

• Like 16

Do the pharmaceutical companies advertise prescription drugs on TV in the UK? They do here and it's turned into a real racket. They now invent diseases so that they can sell more "cures". Apparently for every dollar spent on real research nineteen dollars are spent on marketing. Sheesh!

I guess it means more than just pile cream is advertised these days. Thats all it was the first time I went to the States. Mind you, our main medicinal tv ad is for something to help with internal front bottom dryness.

Pass me the pile cream.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society, where we spent 30 minutes followed by 2 hours at the sailing club. Ben is complaining he didn't get any biscuits,...he did however get cake....and lots of cuddles from the others there.

The 3 Rivers race debrief did not reveal anything unexpected, as far as the race is concerned. Most of the guardship crews have put their names down for next year... Which Is the 1st and 2nd Jun 2019. They are also looking at what to do for 2021, the 60th anniversary of the race.. put your dates in the diary for 5th and 6th June 2021.

• Like 15

I guess it means more than just pile cream is advertised these days. Thats all it was the first time I went to the States. Mind you, our main medicinal tv ad is for something to help with internal front bottom dryness.

Pass me the pile cream.

I remember seeing an ad for bum cream here in Spanish many years ago which started "Embarrisico itchyco?", but it's got a lot worse since then. At prime-time we are now bombarded with all sorts of ads for prescription drugs. "Talk to you doctor about Embosolulistic" they say, then they are required to run through a list of all the possible side-effects. That ought to be enough to put anyone off, but apparently not.

You might think the major TV networks would run some investigative programs to expose this gigantic con but they won't. The drug companies represent a huge chunk of their advertising revenue. The snake oil industry is going as strong as ever.

Color me Cynical of CDA.

• Like 1

Greetings!

I am looking for a camera to fit in my porch ceiling. I'm certain that I can provide power and CAT6 cabling to it. Its ability to contact my mobile 'phone would be an advantage (with video and voice channels).

Any recommendations anyone, please?

TIA

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Then again, again, there was the Blackburn Beverley

Somewhere I have a photo of a Hastings taken from inside a Beverley having climbed up the cargo ramp to get the view.  Amazing what you once upon a time could do at Battle of Britain Day displays on RAF bases - us youngsters seemed to be allowed to go all over the place (or we weren't stopped?) 

• Like 15

At prime-time we are now bombarded with all sorts of ads for prescription drugs. "Talk to you doctor about Embosolulistic" they say, then they are required to run through a list of all the possible side-effects. That ought to be enough to put anyone off, but apparently not.

You might think the major TV networks would run some investigative programs to expose this gigantic con but they won't. The drug companies represent a huge chunk of their advertising revenue. The snake oil industry is going as strong as ever.

Two words: "Money Talks" :rolleyes:

It's all a function of programming as well. The evening network news is the worst - the 6:00pm news demographic trends much older than the coveted 18 - 40ish demographic in official prime time (8:00 - 10:00pm) and is chock full of remedies for many conditions. The ones for conditions like restless leg syndrome and dry eye or dry mouth syndrome really do feel over the top.

All of a sudden, there is a raft of heavy duty medications that apparently had side effects of clearing up skin conditions, which now seems to be their primary marketed purpose. The variety of medications offered for psoriasis is stunning. (I'm thinking of one in particular used for rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.) I very much doubt these drugs were actually developed to help patients with psoriasis. I suspect that they work in the same way that steroids clear up skin too.

Anything that "may cause lymphoma or even death" seems a bit much for a couple of patches of itchy skin.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2