The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Remember when women's hankies were a tiny scrap of cloth usually embroidered with a flower design and almost useless for a good strong nose blow. I don't know why anyone thought women were delicate creatures who never had a snotty nose. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm at RailEx. The sun is shining outside, and the BO factor reading is moderate to high....

Think I've picked up a new client here too....

Ivan, impossible I have been umpiring a cricket match at Collingham and Linton most of today :jester:

• RMweb Premium

For cricket matches if I am umpiring I arrive in a smart jacket, clean shirt and tie (mine is generally my Lords' Taverners tie), clean chinos

For on field wear I have white/ivory/blue ECB ACO shirts,black Craghopper cargoes (thermally lined ones for cold days) and pimple soled cricket shoes. I wear flight socks (stops you legs aching after a 100 over match) and white cricket socks (marino wool) A Nice white or black umpires hat finishes it off.  If I need a jacket its either a White ACO one of a blue ACO fleece (dark clothes for white ball and some pink ball cricket).

If it is really cold long jumpers (wool) and thermal t shirts are added. NO GLOVES... indeed looking at some of the Test Match bowlers over the last few days all of those bandages and tapes on fingers/hands are verbotten!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

"50 years ago I was told it would but it took another 40 years to do so" 

Similar story - much much less than in those days but still get the odd really bad day and some foodstuffs cause me a problem e.g. coffee and curry

"50 years ago I was told it would but it took another 40 years to do so" 

Similar story - much much less than in those days but still get the odd really bad day and some foodstuffs cause me a problem e.g. coffee and curry

Its the yellow oilrape seed or the rapeseed oil or whatever its called, thats causing it these days. So much of it being grown everywhere.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been a beautiful sunny day here today. I was up early(ish) for a Saturday and took the car to get the puncture sorted. Thankfully they were able to repair the tyre and it only cost £10.00, so really pleased with that. The only down side is it took over 90 minutes, despite getting there for when it opened (9:30) I was still second in the queue! By the time I got home it was almost time for dinner, so I didn’t bother getting changed into my scruffs. I did hang my wetsuit on the line to dry, something I couldn’t do yesterday, due to the rain.

After dinner I spent a bit of time on the computer in the cellar, gathering info on a loco I recently got a kit of, only surfacing again when it was brew time.

This evening we had Mike and Sarah round for tea, but I wasn’t cooking tonight, instead we had a takeaway from our favourite Indian place. We then spent a couple of hours chatting before they set off for home. Later in the week they are heading of to Wales for a few days to celebrate Sarah’s birthday. As neither of them drink wine, we waited until they’d gone home before we opened a bottle of Merlot, which went down very well.

Like Mick, when I lived on my own in the mid 70’s, I used to hang up all my freshly washed laundry as soon as I got back to my flat. I never needed to do any ironing and I never looked untidy, well not untidy for a long haired teenager anyway!

Goodnight all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Problem is if you said ..................I have done a pat, no one would understand you

Or they would just assume that you are a cow.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subjects of ironing and sartorial elegance. Does the team think that carrying a handkerchief is a dying art as the younger generation don't do it? Will hankie production be hit and high street hankie shops close by the dozen?

Its rather weird, I always put a handkerchief in my right-hand side trouser pocket but the handkerchief never gets used ….. instead I use a kitchen paper towel from my left-hand side trouser pocket.... Don't ask me why!!

Keith

• Like 5

Good evening all. A very late check in before bed. Generic greetings, congrats and commiserations as appropriate. Thank you for the kind words regarding my recount of Sam's funeral. It was a very emotional event. I am sure that many people will be continuing to wear those wrist bands with pride today. Sadly, they had run out before I arrived - such was the size of the congregation. I only wish I could have followed Sam's philosophy today - but the black dog remains firmly in charge and I have been very much in coiled spring mode all day! Not good.

This evening there was another poignant moment. When Sam's year left primary school the leavers worked together to create a goodbye video. It was shown at the Leaver's Service. The video featured various photographs and short clips from the children's primary school life. Sam features heavily. The video is backed by a song from a group called Fun called "We are Young". One of Sam's peers unearthed a poor quality copy and it has been doing the email rounds today. I have just watched it....there is something in my eye again.

Good night

Andy

Interesting, the band Fun come from near me - at the Jersey Shore. “We Are Young” was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 but probably didn’t do much in Europe. I’ll post it below:

I always liked their vocal harmonies as in the beautiful part near the end of the song when Janelle comes in.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner temple here,

About 5 hours sleep, cut short by a painful back, it's not as though I did anything to upset it yesterday.

PAT ( testing) officially doesn't exist. The official title is "In-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment" but isiatoee, doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

There is no legal requirement to be "pat" tested, The requirement is that you ensure electrical equipment is safe for the users and third parties.

There is no requirement for annual testing, in fact stuff like a TV or computer that is never unplugged it's recommended that the inspection be 5 years.

Each item should be assessed as to its need for testing, so say for power tools, it should be visually inspected before use, and tested at least annually if not more often. But a fridge plugged in and left 5 years will do..

Plans for today, breakfast and ibuprofen, mow some of the grass, go to "the late one" the local car boot that starts at 11:00. Come back and start building the top 4 layers of breeze block wall.

But first..

Time to ... have another doze...

• Like 3

Good morning one and all, after sleep deprivation caused by a thunderstorm

So I went out for breakfast yesterday as intended.  The man in the supermarket cafeteria contrived not to see the loyalty card which I had brandished under his nose for what seemed an age and left me to work out that I had to make my own tea.  Claiming my loyalty points at customer services led me to just miss the bus, which at that time of the morning is on half-hourly frequency.  Better news is that I gathered half a dozen large strawberries from the garden and got the ironing done.   Later I caught Ed Sheeran’s Biggest Weekend set on TV and admit to being very impressed at how well he handled the audience.  Today I will be at Railex.  Look out for the brick red shirt.  More about the week ahead tomorrow, I think.

Continuing warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a very sunny village.  The birds are singing loudly.   

Much more tidying got done yesterday and about half the remaining contents of the loft came downstairs.  This has now all been sorted and there is a large stack to go to the tip and another large stack for the charity shop.   Some of the stuff that I'm keeping was interesting.  This included a couple of my father's school reports from 1926 and a copy of an 1870 News of the World. Also a collection of newspapers and duplicated newsheets issued in Liverpool during the General Strike.   I've contacted Liverpool University to see if those are of interest to them. They are quite fragile now.  One sheet is a transcript of a radio news bulletin that someone had obviously duplicated and put out.   

In the afternoon Beth and I duly went to the BBQ next door and enjoyed ourselves, despite being at least 20 years older than everyone there.

Church this morning then more boxes to fill before heading off for dinner with the step dragon in law.   

Good wishes to all and sundry and hopefully we will her from Debs.

Jamie

• Like 19