The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

I have been informed that I need to get my hair cut.

Tony

I detest the word NEED. Nobody needs to do anything!

When I was working at a school, it irked me to hear that the teacher would inform a pupil that they NEEDED to go to their music lesson (for example). NO they did not! However, as a courtesy to their parents, who were funding said extra curricular activity, it could be beneficial all round if they attended.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was working at a school, it irked me to hear that the teacher would inform a pupil that they NEEDED to go to their music lesson (for example). NO they did not! However, as a courtesy to their parents, who were funding said extra curricular activity, it could be beneficial all round if they attended.

Have you been listening in Chris Evans, he was wittering on about that for a bit this morning.. Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the Wikipedia* definition of need:

"A need is something that is necessary for an organism to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants in that, in the case of aneed, a deficiency causes a clear adverse outcome: a dysfunction or death."

Personally I need beer and cake. Nuff said!

* Yes , I know they don't always get it right but it suits me!   :yes:

• Like 3

I think I need to breathe....amongst other things....!!

• Like 1

Have you been listening in Chris Evans, he was wittering on about that for a bit this morning..

I have not as I am unable to tolerate this person.

I rather like the Wikipedia* definition of need:

"A need is something that is necessary for an organism to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants in that, in the case of aneed, a deficiency causes a clear adverse outcome: a dysfunction or death."

Personally I need beer and cake. Nuff said!

* Yes , I know they don't always get it right but it suits me!   :yes:

I like your take on beer and cake! (However, they are not necessarily a necessity!)

I think I need to breathe....amongst other things....!!

Breathing is essential; need is optional. Whilst I have to breathe to stay alive, needing to breathe is an option on which I can decide, whatever the consequences!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have full access so,

Best wishes to those in 'need' = great to see Chrisf has got the lead on the BD and his reeling him in, that Debs has completed the course and through John (thanks) has been keeping us updated with humour also Oldud and Ash back on ER.

Andy had a pleasant relaxed evening and hopefully will obtain his extra signing off and will get his resignation in before half-term this weekend and of course get his website working well and productive.

Other things can relate Tony's 'fishy smell' to his Landy and to Padstow … where a certain chain of restaurant has taken over the former station platform - we did not visit said for eating. 

Contrary to previous comments we have been there and enjoyed our stays … in the between peak season ... right in the harbour area with our own parking space in walking distance to everything we 'needed' (wanted) and with fantastic views and coast/beach walks with pre-school GD.  Would we go there in the high season - definitely NO

Another thought, GDB mentions locals not being able to afford to live - similar to a lot of 'country areas' where the kids have to leave for the same reason … housing too costly and as he mentions for the RNLI to therefore lose keen compassionate men and women from their teams.

Megavissey -  also enjoyed as a visit and rememberance of the Penlee disaster many years ago.  The model shop … to see something running was useful and at the time enabled me to purchase bits for the construction being built while on holiday.  Padstow's model shop, if not taken over by some other business, closed for years but still has a window as on the day it closed. 

Enough rambling - and no internet cut-out during the whole time.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 16

Breathing is essential; need is optional. Whilst I have to breathe to stay alive, needing to breathe is an option on which I can decide, whatever the consequences!

On "needs", this is a nice model.

"Wants" of course are quite separate.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Night to most, my body and brain have decided that I may or may not need to sleep, but I will leave it to them to decide if sleep would be a good thing to do, there again, I might just indulge in some eyelid inspection.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I suspect Aditi didn't use the word "need" to suggest that I should dedicate some time today to visiting the hairdresser. Just my sloppy interpretation of her gentle reminder that my hair length in two weeks would be untidy. I value her opinion on such matters.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Once again some more progress has been made on fitting the sound decoder in the first of my N15s, which I renamed a few years ago Sir Brian (I couldn’t resist that one). This is now complete, it has been reprogrammed and is now ready to go. Work has now been started on the 2nd of my N15s. So far, the engine has been completely rewired and and a 4 pin plug fitted and the 4 pin socket has been fitted in the tender. The bogies have also been rewired, mounting holes for the speaker fixing screws and the decoder socket have been drilled, as well as holes for the sound to escape. Tomorrow will be mainly wiring everything up and testing etc.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

By and large the audience with Sister Diabetes yesterday was painless, except when she probed my feet.  All the readings were lower with the unfortunate exception of blood pressure.  I can only speculate as to why that was up and she wants me to have it checked again in a fortnight.  Better news is that from now on I will only need to attend the clinic once a year.  Something potentially alarming is that my next appointment with Sister Syringe did not appear on the screen.  I am assured that this is due to combining systems ahead of the merger of two surgeries.   I gave an assurance that if the appointment disappears into cyberspace and there is no syringe full of Zoladex awaiting me on 27th July a full, frank and very public discussion will take place.  I do hope it doesn’t raise my blood pressure.

Among the probing questions from Sister yesterday was that of alcohol consumption.  Such unfamiliar number as “four” and “five” were mentioned.  As it happens, I am going to Cambridge Beer Festival today.  My mate and I will attend the lunchtime session and then head into Cambridge for a spot of record shopping before slumbering our way back to Bedford on the X5 bus.

Warm thoughts as always to Andyram, Debs, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Inner Temple Here,

About 5 .5hours sleep was had, not enough but at least it was solid.

This keyboard is on itswayoutasIlookedupandallthespaceshadnotturnedup. Bashing the keyboard harder now.

Some areas of Norfolk and suffollk have the same problem as Steinstow, they are doing piece on the problem on radio Norfolk at this moment. Wells Next the Sea has 30% secondhome ownership. Plus much of the rest is owned by people who have retired to their second home. Several of the RNLI and Independant stations have reported the lack of volunteers due to no one being able to live locally.

Even in my area which is one of the cheaper places, at the weekend vast numbers of Audi's BMWs, Range Rovers and Mercedes turn up. the busiest time on the roads locally is 05:00 -07:00  Monday as they head off for London, and 17:00- 19:00 Friday as they all come back again.

Dull overcast and distinctly chilly with a strong northerly wind this Morning..

Time to go investigate that problem...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It's a bit dull outside but there should be some sunny periods later along with the chance of some showers.

Not much happened here but the kids visited after school as usual yesterday and Joe reports that he thinks the GCSEs are going well. He certainly doesn't seem worried about anything which can only be good.

I will be phoning the car dealer later to see if there is any progress on the re-doing of my paintwork protection and I believe a brief shop visit is called for.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

Güte Morge Zsämme*

I like your take on beer and cake! (However, they are not necessarily a necessity!)!

Hmm, I would agree. As ane fule kno it's steak, roast meat, pasta, pies and single malt whiskeys which are a real man's real needs. Certainly, one can live without them, much as one can live without 1 kidney, both eyes, both auditory canals,  a large part of the gut, one of each limb (all 4 in a stretch), spleen, 1.5 lungs and half a liver, but the quality of life????. In both instances, severely reduced, I'd say.

Opine all you want, Dear Mr DMJ, but you will never convince me that steak, roast meat, pasta, pies and single malt whiskeys are not needs!

Currently procrastinating as I have have some extremely tedious paperwork to do this morning. Still, it pays the bills (or contributes....)

Will pop back later

Stay Frosty

iD

* that's yer actual Swiss German, that is.

• Like 19

Mooring Awl,

Inner Temple Here,

Some areas of Norfolk and suffollk have the same problem as Steinstow, they are doing piece on the problem on radio Norfolk at this moment. Wells Next the Sea has 30% secondhome ownership. Plus much of the rest is owned by people who have retired to their second home. Several of the RNLI and Independant stations have reported the lack of volunteers due to no one being able to live locally.

Even in my area which is one of the cheaper places, at the weekend vast numbers of Audi's BMWs, Range Rovers and Mercedes turn up. the busiest time on the roads locally is 05:00 -07:00  Monday as they head off for London, and 17:00- 19:00 Friday as they all come back again.

I feel your pain with that TheQ, but Steinstow is a far more depressing place. Walking the main drag you pass Rick Steins fish & chip shop next to RS's Fish & chip shop next to RS's pub next to RS's Fish restaurant next to RS's fried fish place next to RS's fish cafe next to ..........

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s another beautiful sunny day here in the northwest, my first task will be to retrieve the bins from wherever the binmen have left them!

Then it’s off to the workshop to continue working on the 2nd N15.

Chrisf. I went for an appointment for my hormone shot once and the appointment hadn’t been logged in on the system, a few words, spoken loudly enough for everyone to hear, but not in an angry way, about it being my regular cancer treatment and time sensitive, soon sorted it out and I ended up seeing a doctor, within 30 minutes!

Back later

• Like 17