The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

I'm at work from 2PM today so I'm having a lazy Sunday morning instead of afternoon! :)

I might do the rigging wire on my PWay crane though.

Have no fear if you're interested, I'll stick some pictures on the blog tomorrow.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Full oktas up here plus the odd snowflake. It's not a gloomy sort of okta though and I find this kind of weather quite invigorating! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just managed to get the computer away from the more serious aspects of checking bank and credit card statements for the month end - why is there always too much month left at the end of the money? I suppose the answer to that is to be found in the missive "stay away from model shops" as impulse buys to locos tend to use up any surplus funds, even at nearly half the list price.

Thermometer has just lifted above zero, and there's 100% cloud cover here at the mo.

I was moaning about the hospital and the lack of appointments, and by the post yesterday, I got an appointment for 11th Feb, a date that the receptionists told me there was no clinic booked. I'll take the letter as correct, and go along. Hospitals - DOH. Also this morning, I took my first walk out round the block without any walking aids at all - hurts a bit now....

Just seen that we've now reached 11,000 members - seems that we're now growing at a fantastic rate.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I'm nearly about to venture out to my model railway area (aka garage). I got delayed by a few things like hanging paintings (my wife finally got some of her mother's artwork last time we went to Enfield) and vacuuming the airing cupboard (cleared last week in anticipation of boiler engineer). I've also been led astray on Ebay this morning but I don't expect too much success from my bids. The only bargains in one of my railway interests (HOm) occur when they are in the wrong section!

I had a nice chat on the phone with Matthew this morning. Once he had survived interrogation about last night (celebration of end of exams!) by his mother he told me about how he had struggled to sort out his timetable for this term. Apparently they were not sent timetables for "environmental reasons". I told him that not wasting trees while commendable wasn't an excuse for not disturbing a few electrons and emailing them, and that it sounded like departmental laziness and inefficiency to me! Though at least Matthew does get quite a few lectures, seminars and IT practicals. Some students on English Literature courses seem to receive a small fraction of the tuition that Matthew gets on his Human Geography course

• RMweb Premium

It's a very sunny Sunday out here, and as a consequence we went for a walk around 1 pm. It was very quiet at the edge of the forest, which I liked. This but also brought back memories of those days last year when air traffic had been completely suspended due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Some students on English Literature courses seem to receive a small fraction of the tuition that Matthew gets on his Human Geography course

On the second year of my HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, my timetable consisted of 39.5 hours a week of lectures, tutorials and labs. This excluded any additional coursework that needed to be done.

One of my house mates was doing a BA in Literature and Philosophy and had three hours a week of lectures and tutorials.

I am not going to pass any further comment, other than to say I never did really work that one out... :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for this change in subject, but...I'm having one of my late night 'pondering moments'!

Yesterday, I came up with a brand new design for my chair for my A2 project. Today I built a mock up of it and am really happy with it.

However, looking at it now I've realised a couple flaws.

post-6776-0-36601100-1296428495_thumb.jpg

The idea was that the bottom segment of the chair could fold under forming a rocking chair. However, the two problems I've noticed are:

1) It is quite unstable when in the rocking chair position

2) When in the rocking chair position it would be far too low off the ground.

One of my possible solutions is to make the lower section the shape of a boomerang leaving it a little higher off the ground. But I'm just not sure it would work because when it is in the 'chaise longue' position it would be the wrong shape for the legs and probably quite uncomfortable.

I think I'll have a sleep on it and see if I can come up with a solution in the morning... laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for this change in subject, but...I'm having one of my late night 'pondering moments'!

Yesterday, I came up with a brand new design for my chair for my A2 project. Today I built a mock up of it and am really happy with it.

However, looking at it now I've realised a couple flaws.

post-6776-0-36601100-1296428495_thumb.jpg

The idea was that the bottom segment of the chair could fold under forming a rocking chair. However, the two problems I've noticed are:

1) It is quite unstable when in the rocking chair position

2) When in the rocking chair position it would be far too low off the ground.

One of my possible solutions is to make the lower section the shape of a boomerang leaving it a little higher off the ground. But I'm just not sure it would work because when it is in the 'chaise longue' position it would be the wrong shape for the legs and probably quite uncomfortable.

I think I'll have a sleep on it and see if I can come up with a solution in the morning... laugh.gif

You could try adding another pivoting piece to the base to give you a slightly higher rocker, which could be tucked up out of the way when a chaise longue is wanted.

Morning All,

Rather a cold and frosty morning here. It is still dark too, but looks fairly clear.

I was rather reluctant to get out of bed this morning - the thought of another week like last one isn't a particularly fun one! Still, hopefully this week will be a little less busy. I have an appointment with Thomas' teacher this morning to see how he is getting on at school. Hard to believe he has already been at school for six months!

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all!

Feeling pretty tired this morning too. I should really try to get an early night tonight.

My eBay sales finished last night. All in all I'm not too disappointed by what they went for but there's a couple of items which I think were real bargains for the buyers! I've already blown half the takings as I was bidding on a set of Bachmann West Highland Mk1s. Have lost out in several previous auctions trying to get them!

Had a busy weekend (and not very good internet access) so no posts this weekend. Back now and raring to go for another thrilling week of work (ahem).

Jam:

Interesting.

Possibly you could find something more comfortable than cocktail sticks to sit on.

Stick with it - you may have a multi million pound idea.

However, everything has been done before.

Suggest look at the Victorian Library chair/steps for further inspiration.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Must be Monday again. Plenty of oktas but bloomin' cold. Slow to get started this morning after a weekend of playing trains at Southampton exhibition. The big question is do I have another cup of coffee before venturing outside to unload the car. Couldn't be ar*ed to unload the layout yesterday evening, dinner and a glass of red seemed far higher on the priority list.

Still got to put one last(?) coat of paint on the ceiling sometime today. I'll go really gently so the plaster doesn't all fall on the floor!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dd and Mick.

Yes, the cocktail sticks would be rather uncomfortable.However, the real thing will use broom handles! I'll be adding some spongey cushions on though - you wouldn't just be sitting on wooden broom handles.

I will have a look at the Victorian Library chairs - thanks. smile.gif

Morning all,

Sunny but very cold here this mornong. The OH has just asked if we can go and have a look at an old railway bridge being demolished this afternoon near the GC and Daventry-Leamington line, and says apprently we can now afford to get the Rover repaired....I wonder what she's after...??!!

Nidge ;)