The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. As I mentioned I am on the afternoon shift on the club stall at the Basildon festival. Checked the weather report on BBC breakfast this morning for what good that did. The new cheapo weather maps are so small as to be useless compounded by the fact that half of Essex is covered by a label saying London. There is no local news Saturdays and the local weather news yesterday never went beyond this morning. Rant now over so C & C's to all those who need them and have a great day to those ER's attending the Derby show, wish I could join you.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Still to catch up on yesterday's events on here so Cs & Cs where appropriate.  Yesterday was a long and tiring one notwithstanding pre-positioning myself to Sheffield to avoid an excessively early start but at least it was a civilised train journey back with some excellent company as far as Birmingham which had also got me a lift back to the station in Sheffield (name withheld as it is commercial in confidence as they say - not that any commercial confidences were broken of course).  Sheffield was quite warm although not absolutely ideal for walking round in shirtsleeve order at 09.00 - but I did.  Arrival at Reading saw my jacket being quickly removed from my bag - it had definitely been a bit warmer oop north.

Very pleasant 'do' at Rails to celebrate the opening of their new showroom - which is rather splendid and has railway tracks running around it at high level, O and OO gauges, all in all a  very pleasant and well organised occasion with a chance to meet several other RMweb folk including our leader (when he wasn't busy with his camera), catch up on various bits of gossip, chat to a few folk from 'the trade' (not that any secrets were disclosed) including the two Irish fellahs who are Accurascale, great guys and amazing wagons.  Plus enjoy a little bit of  'Yorkshire hospitality'.   The expected delivery from the land of crockery was indeed delivered so had a run out behind the latest re-production model version of Mr Stirling's large wheeled engine, which looked exceedingly nice.

Next task is to progress up the branch this morning to get laddo's car from Twyford station car park whence he drove earlier today in order to start his day trip to Amsterdam.  Meanwhile the Good Doctor is continuing her adventures in Macedonia with a trip to Skopje having earlier this week hired a taxi to take her to Alnbania (and back of course).

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

It was sunny, it isn't sunny now. I hope it doesn't rain on Phil's festival. We went to Basildon town centre on Thursday to visit a solicitor. I hadn't been for many a year. Lots of tree planting, lots of vacant shops too.

Unlike Mike's daughter I haven't been to Albania though I did make use of an Albanian 3G signal to load a novel onto my Kindle as we cruised past the coast a few years ago.

Tony

• Like 13

' Evening all from red dragon land.

Pleased to report in, Barry!

Glad to hear your good news Chrisf and best wishes to all, especially to our Debs.  Thanks, John for the updates.

I have been a tad busy of late designing publicity material for West Shore Miniature Railway (though I did do a bit of lurking on here).

Further information for the year & our Grand Opening of the completed track; leaflet; and poster.on the NWMES thread.

Quite a bit of work but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ray has been busy, too, over hauling, and adding an injector to, our 14xx (among other things...).

Looking forward to getting on the driver's seat, again.

Talking of cups of tea - Bernard Cribbins video  :rofl:  - I finally took the plunge and have gone over to herbal teas.

The first one, a berries concoction by Lichfields that I tried at the Museum café in Betws-y-Coed, on Tuesday, was quite palatable even when it had cooled down.  So, I went for it and bought two twinings and one Tess Coe packs.  The blackcurrant was much improved with a dash of pressed apple juice!  The ginger had a rather hot twang to it which I dissipated afterwards with a large juicy date.  I think this might be quite a challenge to find one I actually want to drink!  I ruled out chamomile years ago...

Went to town this morning to get some jeans from my usual stockist and they don't stock my leg length in the style I like, only the longer sizes!  A trip to Llandudno branch next week, then!

:bye:

Shortie

SWMBO recommends the orange ones from Typhoo, and for jeans I recommend a look in J D Williams Catalogue - particularly the stretchy ones

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Second raised bed painted with bitumen, filled with horse exhaust, boarded up the front, .

More sand and soil then planted

Third raised bed painted, just one bag of horse exhaust was left to use. 3 of 5 boards made I've run out of soil as wel., I might just age to dig some more from the foundations of 4 parallel piece's of steel doing a loop from the shed.

Carried some work on the roof of the muddling shed, however drizzle stopped play, it arrive 2 hours earlier than expected.

Back a bit painful, very tired, time to inspect eyelids...

Debs

Is feeling carp - very.

It's more than tough.

We do wave at each other each morning, and she's getting your messages and appreciating them, although detailed response is not to be expected.

Yesterday was har dad's (Keith) 94th birthday and they managed to speak, but that's as much as she can do at the moment.

Another week to go, poor girl.

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

A spot of collecting info on the Stirling Single at Southall when I spotted the 45-ton Steam Crane in the shed as GNR No. 1 was shunted inside (right at the end of the video!) and to think I almost decided not to pre-order the Bachmann model but the incentive to get it seems to have increased somewhat.  :D  I need a bigger piggy bank... The loco should be here SOON, but SOON keeps changing!  It looked gorgeous at Warley but guess who did not take a photo of it! Tut tut!

Good morning all,

Another bright start here but it may cloud over and rain this afternoon.

Got up earlier with some difficulty as my back is protesting somewhat but after moving around a bit it has eased. Memo to self: Take more care when lifting 100 litre bags of bark chippings.

This morning we're off to Nicki's with my trusty Karcher as her decking needs jet washing. Apparently I volunteered to do it for her. Still, that's not too energetic, in fact someone told me recently they found it quite therapeutic.

Personally I find if quite boring  :onthequiet:

Today is Abbie's final day at her Saturday job in a baker's which she kept going until she'd got permanent employment and even then stayed because she really likes the girls she works with. She's only packing up now because she's finding it difficult to fit in everything else she wants to do including driving lessons. I suspect that she will come home laden with an abundance of bread, pasties and cakes. I'm looking forward to a late lunch or early afternoon tea.   :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

It is good to hear young people stay working because they like their colleagues.   When I busted my arm and had to change departments because of it, I only stayed beyond the first week because my group of staff were so wonderful, which helped to overcome the discomfort of doing the job.  I lasted 6 months at which point I decided to join the large number of mass retirements due to changes in pensions and severance pay - for the worse!   I just did not fancy spending more time getting used to working with another set of people, as lovely as they were.

I finished off my last piece of fat free teacake (aka bun loaf).  :nyam:  I must make some more and there is also the option to remove the egg yolk if I want to lessen cholesterol levels.  Oooooh! The speelchecker liked the word beginning with "ch" with no red underlining.  It's a fluke, I say, a fluke!  :sarcastic: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Not sure where the past few days went!

ChrisF, VERY pleased to hear of your good news.  My best wishes to all others in need, and of course debs, whom my heart goes out to.

Spent the day doing SWMBO things, garden centres etc, then fitting new rear suspension to the BMW bike.  It's only 30 years old, obviously don't make them like they used to.  I looked at the layout.....that's about it.  Really going to have to get my finger out and lift the track and think about new designs. 

Jealous of those that have been to shows and events - I really miss them.  There is never anything on when we go to the UK!

• Like 14

Certainly good to put a face to a name Richard, and along with others I already know, like Chris F, Andyram, Lawrance B, Mike Bellamy and Clive Mortimore as well as Mick of Yellow Peril fame it was good to see everybody and shake some hands today.

Also thanks guys for all the good wishes today.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Little Ram with Andy.

• Like 16

I see the dreaded phrase “Damp Squid” - turned up in another thread (Hornby Announcements). Wasn’t it Debs who flayed a member alive (probably not, she is way too nice) for using this on here?

In case anyone is unaware a “Squib” is a form of explosive from yonks ago which could be affected by moisture  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive). On the other hand Squids rather like being at least dampish

Apart from that I have nothing to say but that’s ok etc.,

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Great match today...60 overs bowled in less than 3 hours.. quicker than the T20s.... GSAL scored 130 and the opposition Bradford Grammar needed 10 to win off the last over. This was bowled by an U13 who was a late call up. BGS scored 6 and so GSAL won.

Just wish the grown up cricketers could play this way... no hissy fits, batsmen walking....

and it was nice and warm.

now for a glass of red!

baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The Basildon festival went well today despite the weather, shower-sun-shower-sun and so on. The heavy rain that was predicted has only just arrived, long after everything is packed away. Thanks for the news of Debs John, please give her my best wishes.

• Like 11