The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Chris sent me a copy of the pc he was having problems with - suitable reply sent by PM but here is a view, according to google, of how it looks today, Ipswich would seem to have been a very deep red coloured herring bowled in Chris's direction.

attachicon.gifex dairy .jpg

Well at least it isn't Hatfield Peverel in that photo.
  • Like 1

Let me know Ivan I'm looking for some spares to get a dismantled one back on the rails not bothered if it doesn't run.

Bob

Right so, I've stripped it. Motor appears to be duff. Going to have a squint at the brushes, which don't look at all well...

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

I'm sitting in front of the PC doing a full reset, something went very wrong several days ago. Leaving windows defender switching itself off and the computer freezing intermittently. Then today I was left with a black screen and an arrow. Only task manager and the screen enhancements for the disabled working. Eventually after much playing around I got enough intermittent control to get to settings to set off a rebuild...

Meanwhile the motorbike is to be picked up for repair service and mot...

And finally in this tale of woe.. any plumbers out there?

Down the garden is a mobile home installed when the main house was reroofed, in the 1980s.

It has a black plastic pipe bringing in water with an outside diameter of 3/4 inch. 1/2 inch imperial inside diameter?

This through brass fittings goes to 1/2 inch od copper pipe

To a failed stop valve, to a failed drain valve, to 1/2 inch od plastic pushfit piping.

I'd like to go from the 3/4 inch pipe to a stop valve.

To a T off which would be a further Stop valve before going to 22mm blue pipe off down the garden to a standpipe.

Off the other leg of the T to a drain valve then to 1/2 inch plastic in the mobile home.

Now all the original is hanging off the underside of the mobile home. So I'd really like push or compression fit junctions as soldering / brazing upside down in a confined space doesn't seem like fun..

Any ideas of the best way of sorting this out? As very little seems to be still available in imperial push fit...

Meanwhile the pc got to about 65 % before resetting itself.

Thanks in advance for any advice given...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

As Her and I have finished the decorating a few treats are due I took her to Alton there's a frock shop there she likes 

This evening I booked a village pub for 4 nights stay up in the Cotswolds next month shock and amazement she agreed

on 2 railway trips the G&W Rly & the SVR the draw back is I will have to trawl round Hidcote & Panswick Manor Gdns but

I might slip into Bourton on the Water Model shop, car museum etc on the way home. ( No Sat-Nav required !!! ) :boast:

Must go watching Homeland on catchup and Her has managed to set the tele' ready to go. G. Oggle

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The pc is now catching up with its updates...

Now done, email working but it's lost all my contacts....

Bachmann chassis fixed. One brush had snapped (how?!?) but there was enough of a stub left to make contact. It runs slowly on a 9v PP3 battery. Gears will need a re-lube; noisy little thing.

post-6879-0-15303100-1525898657_thumb.jpeg

Did you say you wanted it, Bob?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

And finally in this tale of woe.. any plumbers out there?

Down the garden is a mobile home installed when the main house was reroofed, in the 1980s.
It has a black plastic pipe bringing in water with an outside diameter of 3/4 inch. 1/2 inch imperial inside diameter?
This through brass fittings goes to 1/2 inch od copper pipe
To a failed stop valve, to a failed drain valve, to 1/2 inch od plastic pushfit piping.

I'd like to go from the 3/4 inch pipe to a stop valve.
To a T off which would be a further Stop valve before going to 22mm blue pipe off down the garden to a standpipe.
Off the other leg of the T to a drain valve then to 1/2 inch plastic in the mobile home.
Now all the original is hanging off the underside of the mobile home. So I'd really like push or compression fit junctions as soldering / brazing upside down in a confined space doesn't seem like fun..
Any ideas of the best way of sorting this out? As very little seems to be still available in imperial push fit...

Meanwhile the pc got to about 65 % before resetting itself.

Thanks in advance for any advice given...

A mobile home would make a great layout room. Do you need a water supply to a layout room?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Some issues with the computer last night have been resolved. A legitimate and trusted site offered a newsworthy video clip which in turn suggested I needed to update my Flash player. A quick trip into the app and to the update tracker both suggested I didn’t have the latest version and I duly updated. Then I find something imitating Yahoo has taken control. I do not Yahoo and never have. This was immediately identified as some sort of nastyware and I limited my use of the machine while seeking a fix.

The fix came by way of a post from one of the Mac user forums. It seems others have had the same problem. Basically I went into Apps > Extensions and found an unknown extension which I deleted. Problem solved. A quick cache-clean later and all was well.

Wretched Nastyware. Not a lot gets through to a Mac especially through the firewall but this one did.

In other news a sunny but much cooler day has been enjoyed after a night of Sleepus interruptus on account of nocturnal comings and goings - not to mention loud conversations on the balcony - upstairs. I suspect a combination of warm weather, alcohol, youthful exuberance and contested mating rights. Following an afternoon snooze I found next door setting up for a party out front to which I was immediately invited. The barbecue was reluctant to light despite being coaxed with lighter fuel and ignited hair spray being sprayed :O Boys will still be boys, it seems, even in 2018. No eyebrows were singed though the chicken skewers might have been a little rare. I carefully avoided them. These folk are all leaving at the end of the month and a little letting-down of hair at the end of their university years is to be expected.

SWMBO has been invited on a professional basis to visit an address which I cannot disclose but which has a famous black door and is currently occupied by persons whose name matches this month. There is no “plus one”. I hope they offer Yorkshire Tea.

Plenty of life still evident outside and upstairs. I shall pop my head out and see if any alcohol needs consumption before bed time.

Best wishes to all. And particularly to Debs and Chrisf.

• Like 6

Evening all,

Trip to GP today took a lot longer than expected as he was running an hour late, but at least he has hopefully made a start in sorting my headaches as he will get a referral for a scan. In the meantime, he has prescribed a large supply of painkillers. The irony of things is that since getting the appointment, I haven’t actually had a headache. No doubt I will get one soon on recent history.

We managed a cool walk early in the afternoon, as there was a chilly southwesterly breeze. We had no sooner returned home when it started to rain, and the rain has continued ever since.

A mobile home would make a great layout room. Do you need a water supply to a layout room?

How else will you make tea, coffee and also ice for the whisky?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Match umpired.. no rain involved.

Meeting attended..no need to cause a problem..everyone agreed on a proposed plan of action..great but long winded!

Tomorrow sees a match for School v an MCC team. This is a "timed" match ---one of the few still played up in the North.

Sleep well all in need of sleep.

Hoping that the chemo isn't too stressful for Debs, 

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention the working fountains adorning the various layout squares ;)

Don’t say that. I’ll need a Jimmy just thinking about it ;)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A non-running Bachmann pannier tank has arrived. It's one of the early split-chassis / flygear drive ones, and I will take it apart to find out what caused its FTP*

If I can fix the chassis, I will put that back on eBay, and keep the body for experimental purposes.

*FTP = Failure To Progress.

As it's G*R, does that involve experiments with a b&st*rd file, saw or other suitably violent methods?  :triniti:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

Good morning one and all

I may have caused bad weather on Sunday 15th July by booking a ticket to an event.   On this date I pay my first visit to Folk By The Oak, a festival held in the grounds of Hatfield House and featuring such luminaries as Billy Bragg.  There are other interesting acts lower down the bill, including The Drystones, two lads from Priddy who I feel were cheated out of a Radio 2 Folk Award recently.  The event happens to clash with Bedford River Festival, which was fine when it started but has rather stagnated of late.  I shall be rude about it again nearer the time.  Next week’s rudeness will be directed at Bracknell.

Two CDs arrived yesterday.  One is by Frank Mills, perpetrator of “Music Box Dancer” which has been such an earworm to me lately.  The other is by a newish band called Banter.  I’ve heard some tracks on the radio and it became a must-have at once.  I look forward to catching them at Sidmouth in August.   One more remains to arrive – the new one from Calan, and that won’t be long now.  Music can give me such a lift, which in present circumstances is not a bad idea! 

For those who have so kindly asked after me and the black dog, there is not a lot to say at present.  I am still trying to keep busy and there is no shortage of things for me to do but at times I just cannot concentrate.  I need to find the words to explain the situation to my e-correspondent, for it is clear from an exchange we had the night before last that what I was trying to say was not coming out right.

Particular good wishes go this morning to Andyram who must be heartily sick of his black dog by now.  Warm thoughts also to Debs, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Simon, Mal and all others in distress.   I would also like to thank Mike Stationmaster for assistance way over and above the call of duty.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Have been lurking for a couple of days since I last posted.  However, all posts have been read and rated, and as usual generic greetings are sent to the ailing and celebrating.  With special mentions, of course, to Chrisf, Andy, Mal, Simon, Tony, Robert, and not least our Debs.

Not a great deal to report here at the moment. 

Back later/tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from another Great White Worm which is on time... so far.

Had a response from Thameslink to my email regrading the differnce between the slightly softer first class seats over the ironing board like standard class seats where I pointed out that if the hard seats were due to fire regs (as they had previously stated)then hoe a come that they can make the first class ones softer?

As you can probably guess their response completely missed the point and said that if I wanted to use first class that I could upgrade my ticket. I told them that they won’t get another penny out of me other than what I have to pay for my standard class ticket, especially that first class is always full. Thameslink also said that they had a lot of complimentary repsonses over their new trains especially the recently fitted seat back tables and WiFi. What WiFi?? No signs on any that I have been on yet and this morning when I checked for WiFi I picked up the signal from the Gatwick Express passing us but non on our train.

Visited mums new place last night. work is continuing with new wiring and plumbing going in. Sent a few photos to brother in HK. He responded with a few queries but as he did not agree a written specification it’s going to be difficult to argue with the builder about a few items.

End of the week approaching.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of rain overnight but it looks sunny outside with a cool breeze attached.

Busy time with regards to cricket so..mugatea then get ready for my match.

C u later

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, it's a sunny one here today.

Working late tonight, so haven't rushed off this morning.

Not much else to report, but looking at the speed of movement of mobile phone signals on the route to work its going to take a while to get in.

So, Tuesday, Highways Maintenance lorry drove into the back of a tiny little car, thereby halving its already short footprint and blocking the road for an hour.

Wednesday was a 4 car pile up, blocking the road for an hour.

Have a nice day everyone. 

• RMweb Premium

Rule Zero, you know, the rule before Rule one.... Before you do anything make a cup of tea.....

Actually I did have plans for a water supply to the Model railway Shed However, this got over ruled by SWMBO as it adjoins the Mobile home with it's full kitchen, there are however  three fridges in the Shed. The biggest when SWMBO opened it, was found to be full of cans of cider :sungum: .... I took this precausion because the other two are full of SWMBO's volatile art painting  stuff, being kept cool so it, doesn't evaporate so much. We inherited 2 very small fridges with the mobile home, another normal sized one was donated to use by SWMBOs brother. So we had an excess of fridges...

When rebuilding the interior of the Mobile home from 3 tiny bedrooms and a north West facing living room, to One reasonable sized double bedroom , with a south west facing living room. The living room turned out to be almost 30ft long and 9ft wide (provision for childrens beds down one end). The intention being officially that SWMBO can have her art painting social events in there, spilling out onto the patio in good weather. The fact that I have nowhere to put up the L shaped exhibition N gauge layout, that when fully rebuilt, will be 15ft long by up to 6 foot wide is merely a coincidence...

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here...

Another very bad night's sleep of about 4.5 hours..

This mornings sunrise was more scrambled egg than fried egg, as the sun shone between the closely packed clouds. Looking west on the way in, solid grey clouds from which the weatherwomble promises some rain later.

Ben the Border Collie's Morning patrol ,revealed most of the Apple trees are now in flower, while the pear trees are losing theirs..

Another set of road signs have been demolished on the NDR, only not on the roundabout this time but on the island at one of the exits..

They are now sending out, emails whenever there is a site visitor and when ever someone gets awarded one of those inspire awards.... it's getting hard to find the email amoungst all the spam. Mind you there was a definate spam today, a "final version" of a report from someone I've never heared of, from a company I've never heared of, about something I've never heared of, containing a zip file.. that was deleted pronto....

Something a bit happier...

Try sailing on Barton Broad – 19 May 2018

Calling all would be sailors.

On Saturday 19th May Norfolk Punt Club are offering you the chance to sail (free of charge) in a range of boats including the very fast Norfolk Punt featured on the BBC recently. You may also sail in a dingy, keel boat and River Cruiser. Experienced skippers will take you around the beautiful Barton Broad to see the wildlife, including Marsh Harriers and other reed bed dwellers. Sample the delights of a ‘Punt Club afternoon tea’ on the pontoon in the middle of the broad. The club will provide “water taxis” from Barton Turf Staithe to ferry you out to the pontoon at 12.30 and 2.00pm. Taxis will bring you back at 4.30pm.

As it is also a Royal Wedding Day there will be a ”bit of a party” on the pontoon so bring a picnic if you want to and a few pounds for tea and cake. We can lend you Buoyancy Aids but please dress in suitable clothes that will keep you warm and can suffer splashing. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

For further information please contact vicecommodore@puntclub.co.uk

With the lack of advice on plumbing the Mobile home. My Idea is to bolt onto the back of the Mobile home:

An adaptor from 1/2 inch to 15mm piping,

Then a master stopcock  Splitting the output of that into:

Garden supply, with it's own stopcock, followed by an adaptor to 22mm

Mobile Home supply, with it's own Stopcock, followed by an adaptor back to 1/2 inch

Power shower tank Supply, with it's own stopcock, followed by an adaptor back to 1/2 inch

I think I'll assemble that lot and bolt it to the wall under the bench. Then bring the input supply to it.

Now to try to find compression 1/2 inch to 15mm adaptors...

Time to take the next measurement...

• Like 19

Chris, sometimes just there's just no pleasing folks.......a polite foxtrot oscar can sometimes be a good idea.

I was once told if you have to chase a friendship, then it's a friendship not worth chasing.

On a lighter note.......suns out......bikes out.

Time for a new helmet, which means a new intercom ( not had one before) possibly new lid for Mrs BR and new leather jeans for her.

I think I'll need a sit down and a pint laters!

• Like 14