The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Regarding beer and bargains, here's a tip. There's something to do with football coming up, and all the retailers will have stocked up in accordance. Once England is out of the aforementioned competition, and it doesn't normally take long, there will be a great deal of discounted beers of all types on sale at vastly discounted prices. Enjoy the bonanza and stock up!

We were driving in the US and approaching a city which had just won something or other. The stops along the highway were full of clothing sating "Saints -- World Champions" (or equivalent).  I wondered if there were warehouses full of garb labelled "Devils -- World Champions" that was going ...

A couple of weeks ago I asked at the local video store if they were having a sale on Oscar losers.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 2

Good morning one and all

Many thanks for the latest supportive comments.  I found it difficult to concentrate for much of yesterday.  Once the tasks that are fast becoming routine – watering the strawberries, culling more triffids – were out of the way I did a bit more tidying but there is very little visible difference.  I deleted one of the captions that I have been drafting because I could not make sense of it and will have to revisit it later.  Despite my earlier optimism I am not out of the wood yet and need to keep busy enough not to have time to brood.  You and I know that there is no point in letting stuff prey on the mind but it’s not that easy.  The appointment with the Prof on Friday is not helping.  Late in the day I decided to visit a darkened room at the multiplex for no better reason than curiosity about a film which embraces Guernsey and potato peelings.

Today is the first visit of the month to Poorly Pal and some m*d*ll*ng will get done, assuming of course that I can concentrate!  I expect that I will enjoy the sandwiches which he will have made for lunch.   It will be interesting to see how less expensive petrol is in Stevenage than in Bedford.  For once PP will not be coming with me to the RCTS meeting in Hitchin because it clashes with the model railway club meeting which is a day later after a bank holiday. 

It is good to learn that Debs’s treatment is progressing.  Warm thoughts to her and to Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Andyram, Simon, Mal and all others in distress

Chris

Morning All,

We have another bright morning - Yesterday afternoon the temperature got up to 28°C and we are expecting more of the same today.  The weather is due to go downhill towards the end of the week though, just in time for Thursday's Bank Holiday!

Time for a coffee

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from the southern uplands of Leeds, which are nice and sunny at the moment.   An interesting day lies ahead.   One of our long term friends from church died of cancer a couple of weeks ago.   Though we knew that Mike wasn't well, nobody knew the extent of the problem and the end came very quickly.  The funeral is at lunchtime.   He was an electrical fitter on big diesel engines.  We once had a very good evening standing at the north end of Leicester station listening to the Valenta engined HST's head north.   As each one arrived, idled then set off Mike would give me an informed running commentary on the health of the engine.  Our respective wives were attending a Cliff Richard concert.  I think that we had the better music.  

Not a lot else to report but regards to al those that need them especially Debs.   Baz, I hope that the A1 is flowing well for you.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Just before going to bed  I checked the motor bike... fully charged, remove charging gear, foot rest up, ignition key in, left hand brake on, press starter button... nothing not even a click.

With the MOT Booked on Saturday, I'll only have time for a few checks tonight before phoning the garage, as they will need notice to come and pick up the bike to repair it first..

So I went to bed, 2 hours sleep, woke up when SWMBO came up, couldn't find a comfortable spot for ages, as all the weekends exertions came back to remind me, woke up again just after 02:00,  went down stairs, saw 03:00 but fell asleep some time after that, woke again just before 05:00....

The run into work was OK, One Cockwoble went hairing past, I caught up with hime about 7 miles later, Artic followed by lorry followed by half a dozen cars followed by him..50MPH in a 60 Limit. Shortly after was the NDR round about, where I overtook the lot, as I was turning right, and the rest were going straight on or left.

I think the works Network is still on the bank holiday week end, several network drives have not made an appearance, and what there is is doing strange things. Excel said a file I use had a too long file name, i've only been using that file for 10 years+...

Ah the man who has the equipment I'm working on this week has made an appearance..

Time to go...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another fine day here and should stay that way for a while although later there is the chance of the odd shower.

Once again sending good wishes to Debs and our other ailing friends. Chris, I hope you can get the leash back on that animal but I too know how difficult it is.

I had a bit of a sleepless night due to the heat. I don't tolerate it very well.

First tasks today will be  visiting Argos & Sainsbury's and the bank to pay some cash in.. Over the weekend I had a pleasant surprise as some while ago I lent some money to a family member who was struggling a bit. I hadn't expected it until later in the year but yesterday they came round and repaid me in full. Rather handy as a couple of small wheeled items will need paying for shortly and there will still be some left over! (for others possibly :whistle:  :locomotive:    :yes: )

Not sure what we're doing after that but may plan a trip out somewhere in the next couple of days to try the new car out properly.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps

Up with the Lark as they say, SWMBO :lazy: was doing her imitation of Peppa Pig at 6am grunting and snorting its hopeless tring to sleep 

when Her is in full chat, now the house is almost straight after this marathon decorating chore I' leaving Her to run round with the Duster

I'm spending some time on the layout today landscaping and running some of the new stock that has not been out of the box yet, we might

even walk over to the local restaurant to have a light lunch and a beer or two (stop press I've been told thats for tomorrow now) :resent:  .

I/we watched the Snooker final last night what a thriller it was better than the period drama tripe which was on the other channel

Her can watch that on catch-up today tonight is catch-up of Homeland which I missed cos' we watched the same period tripe Sunday PAH.

It was odd I had a dream last night about Chris Ewbanks, J.E Hoover and some Goblins were present I wonder what brought that on. :scratchhead:  :whistle:

Have a good one  E.N.Gindriver  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Fascinating to see that GDB has lent his new car to Mrs 81C to help with the housework - that's friendship for you.  In the meanwhile here her indoors has gone outdoors to get on with the veg patch while I have been 'reminded' that I failed to clean any vacuum yesterday and MUST do so today.

Sorry to hear that Chris is still having a few black dog moments but knowing who he is writing captions for I'm sure that what he wrote which turned out as something of a tangle was probably a far more accurate tangle than a certain other person who writes captions for them - at least Chris actually knows what he's talking about and can identify places correctly.  (sorry to damn with faint praise Chris - writing captions is not always easy and it is inevitably far easier to correct those mis-wruitten by someone else).

Time to either look at the carnage on the Hornby thread - not that I need cheering up or get on with the cleaning of vacuum.  

Have a good day everybody

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Baking hot here today - mid to upper 20s and will get slightly hotter as the day progresses.

I've had a Facebook interaction from Debs so hopefully that's a positive sign - I've sent her a message of support.

Later all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit warmer here than yesterday but a bit muggy. I found the document from the pensions people that I require to renew my driving licence, it was in the correct place all along, I just missed it. Now I have to find my birth certificate, I think I know where it is but I haven't needed to show it since gawd knows when though it might be easier (though more expensive) to ask for a replacement. C & C's to all ER's ailing or otherwise, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Baking hot here today - mid to upper 20s and will get slightly hotter as the day progresses.

I've had a Facebook interaction from Debs so hopefully that's a positive sign - I've sent her a message of support.

Later all.

Similar weather here but I am not sure about whether it will get any warmer later.

Debs liked one of my Facebook "on this day " posts I shared this morning. It was of Robbie in a "faithful dog waiting" type pose from a couple of years ago.

We had a visit from three of Matthew's friends yesterday. Very emotional but lovely day.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Fascinating to see that GDB has lent his new car to Mrs 81C to help with the housework - that's friendship for you.  In the meanwhile here her indoors has gone outdoors to get on with the veg patch while I have been 'reminded' that I failed to clean any vacuum yesterday and MUST do so today.

Sorry to hear that Chris is still having a few black dog moments but knowing who he is writing captions for I'm sure that what he wrote which turned out as something of a tangle was probably a far more accurate tangle than a certain other person who writes captions for them - at least Chris actually knows what he's talking about and can identify places correctly.  (sorry to damn with faint praise Chris - writing captions is not always easy and it is inevitably far easier to correct those mis-wruitten by someone else).

Time to either look at the carnage on the Hornby thread - not that I need cheering up or get on with the cleaning of vacuum.  

Have a good day everybody

Mike I'm sure we can keep giving him help & encouragement that wot mates are for init.

just had a letter from the DVLA to tax the car, I do wonder if it's just a check to see if I still own car as it's exempt from tax duty.

Her has finished with Her Duster and bought me up a coffee to the man cave I wonder what she whas me to do.

Stay tuned. :jester:     M.Y. Hackles-Rupp

• Like 2

Weather has turned pretty cool this morning as it is now just 12 degrees in contrast to the 18 that we reached yesterday.

Shopping run completed, and while getting my new glasses adjusted in Specsavers, I noticed a shop opposite called “The Christmas Shop” which was selling Regatta clothing at much reduced prices. 15 minutes later, my wallet is £50 lighter, but I came out with two pairs of walking trousers and a breathable, windproof, waterproof coat. Not bad value methinks.

No headache so far today, and a GP appointment made for tomorrow so we will see what he has to say about them.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Happy Lunchtime one and all.  And a Happy Flora Day.  Those in the know might spot a certain individual well known to most of us for his shop in Camborne stewarding the dances.  

Another rather bad night's sleep was had with slight headache and somewhat stuffy nose but all cleared by the time I had signed on for duty.  In full sun it was best described as hot even as early as 7.00 and rose to something in the 30s by 11.00 sign-off.  It's only going to get warmer for the next few hours.  The official temperature is of course measured in the shade so is somewhat shy of what we feel outdoors.  31C was registering on a digital display outside a Wandsworth warehouse on the way home.  A generally good mood was in evidence all round and some rather easy-on-the-eye attire was spotted being sported by some of the ladies.

This is the last day of the current heat though sun is expected most days until the weekend.  I shall be making the most of it outside with a dose of Pimms and Lemmingade with lunch shortly.  

• Like 17

Afternoon all from a warm, sunny, if slightly windy corner of Derbyshire. Warm greetings to all my fellow ER's with special thoughts towards those who need them including Simon, ChrisF, Tony and Aditi, Robert and his father and, of course, Debs. Thanks to John for keeping us informed.

The lovely Bank Holiday sunshine was enjoyed with a spell in the garden yesterday with a cooling drink under the gazebo which I put up during the morning. I need a practise run because we are due to attend a craft fair at the local branch of Cats Protection this coming Sunday. We also put up Amber's paddling pool and our dear daughter had a great time splashing around whilst we started tackling the large number of weeds that have grown over the winter months. ChrisF - if your garden is like mine you have all my sympathy.

The day was quite relaxing and much needed in the current battle with the black dog. I felt that things were improving, but today has done its best to test my stress levels. Despite being promised it would be done, the Doctor has failed to complete the sickness form for this week. After the Bank Holiday the phone lines were jammed so I ended up having a wasted drive into the city centre to ask at the surgery. The Doctor is not in until tomorrow so I will have to battle the phone lines again in order to check to see if it has been completed, whilst expecting a call from work asking where the form is. To add to this my tablet course ends this week and I will need an appointment to see what happens next. I have been told today that there are no pre-bookable appointments for the week ahead so I will have to either call on the morning I want the appointment or attend the surgery at 8am. What a wonderful way to assist someone suffering from stress and depression!

On a positive note, let me share some pictures from our day in the garden yesterday:

post-13478-0-15723700-1525785874_thumb.jpg

Amber enjoying the paddling pool.

post-13478-0-59073500-1525786024_thumb.jpg

Our senior cat, Fudge, also enjoying the sunshine.

post-13478-0-84641100-1525786116_thumb.jpg

Fudge "photo-bombing" a picture of Sarah!

Best wishes

Andy

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Just lost an half an hour of my life, attending a lecture on the new Inspire rewards system...I'm totally uninsp ired... it's full of buzz words and can be linked into facebook twitter etc... if I had a black dog It would be out and bounding around, instead I'm looking forward to going home to our Black white and brown dog :no: ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure why but a YouTube reminder suggested I look at a video of Gordon S' garden gates closing and opening?

Don't tell me he's escaped again.

• RMweb Premium

A1..pah!  Lorry Drivers..pah!  This morning the A1 had its speed regulated by two lorry drivers who slowed traffic to a standstill for no apparent reason. We moved off and they did it again about 5 miles further on....3.75hrs to a journey which should have taken 2!  

Any way, items delivered, nice coffee and chat with Tony Wright, new design for Baz's railway in MY railway room received from LNER 4479... progress needs to be fast as I want to get on and "play"...

A lot cooler here and i has just been spitting with rain...and I have cricket for the next 5 days.. bummocks!

Keep well everyone.Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent the afternoon searching for my birth certificate without success, largely due to my finding other documents and stopping to examine them. Amongst the papers which were all pertaining to my parents I discovered a life assurance policy taken out by my parents when they married in January 1946! I wonder if its worth anything? Actually I doubt if it is as my dad was meticulous about such matters. Not having found my birth certificate I've ordered one so the original will undoubtedly come to light when the replacement drops on the mat. I must admit though that there are some other interesting documents that have come to light and are currently being transfered to the family history files.

Edited by PhilJ W

Eeekk, late on Chewsday, spent several hours with another training session that started first thing.

Uneventful yesterday, nothing to see, move along!

Today, after aforementioned training, I stopped into RMWeb and made the GRAVE mistake of looking at the Hornby thread, after seeing their pitiful "29 items or more" release details. Talk about a withering display of OT ramblings, that's 10 minutes I'll never get back :O  :jester:  The thread left the rails in epic fashion best I can tell.

Then again, Hornby seemed to underwhelm par excellence also :mail:

16 first thing, 20 and light rain now, supposed to rain the next 24hrs. with highs amounting to at best 22.

Time for lunch and then more work, avoid the mindless Hornby thread if you've not yet fallen foul of it, you'll thank me later :dontknow:

• Like 12