The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I always get confused when cross ponders refer to temperatures.

This stems from some years ago going to Boston in January.

'Today's temperatures will be in the low 20s.'

Yipee thought I, T shirt and shorts................................

'tis a quandary. I occasionally offer both "C" and "F", mostly when there are sudden extremes and the posted might be misconstrued. Usually I post "C" so you folks don't have to handle the mental gymnastics of sorting it out, or worse yet, start asking "the google" for a conversion :jester:  :O  :jester:

Good evening was had for Sink o'de Mayo plenty of Margaritas consumed etc., etc.

We then were suitably lubricated to book tickets for Fleetwood Mac in October, fortunately I was still coherent enough to NOT choose the $1,700 a person front row floor seats!

Today, already been in the attic to replace the screens over the vents at either end, they'd deteriorated and provide a potential welcome for critters to set up residence :(

Hot and miserable in the attic, so glad it was quick and easy to complete.

Mrs off to walk/lunch with a friend so I'm off to do some "that which can't be mention here", then again, I'm no coward... MODELLING :)

Already 22 © here therefore about 72 (F) :) sunny and pleasant with an expected high of 24

Enjoy the remained of your weekend everyone.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

When we go to the Lakes we lake to go to Haverthwaite. A combined ticket means a trip on the preserved railway, a day on the lake steamers and a return trip on the railway. Always a pleasant, relaxing way to spend a day.

Good to hear that you feel progress with the foot.

We always stay in Ambleside, so do it the other way around!  We have 'tame' digs here we've used for years, not cheap but its a treat.  We usually come for our wedding anniversary in March but I couldn't walk at the time this year, and again in the autumn after two weeks in the campervan - we have two or three nights here as its handy for the ferry.  It is simply beautiful here this evening.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

'tis a quandary. I occasionally offer both "C" and "F", mostly when there are sudden extremes and the posted might be misconstrued. Usually I post "C" so you folks don't have to handle the mental gymnastics of sorting it out, or worse yet, start asking "the google" for a conversion :jester: :O :jester:

Good evening was had for Sink o'de Mayo plenty of Margaritas consumed etc., etc.

We then were suitably lubricated to book tickets for Fleetwood Mac in October, fortunately I was still coherent enough to NOT choose the $1,700 a person front row floor seats!

Today, already been in the attic to replace the screens over the vents at either end, they'd deteriorated and provide a potential welcome for critters to set up residence :(

Hot and miserable in the attic, so glad it was quick and easy to complete.

Mrs off to walk/lunch with a friend so I'm off to do some "that which can't be mention here", then again, I'm no coward... MODELLING :)

Already 22 © here therefore about 72 (F) :) sunny and pleasant with an expected high of 24

Enjoy the remained of your weekend everyone.

A very nice pleasant 67deg F here in Brum. Was quite a bit warmer in Kiddy earlier.

However our current pint of Ossett Progress Porter is a more pleasant cellar temperature.

Almost beerd out now so probably a dry day tomorrow on a loco hualedback South

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

A comfortably warm day was enjoyed without travelling farther than the corner shop.  That was required in order to resupply the Lemmingade which goes with Pimms.  Some of the G-word has been achieved - needs must we are careful about what we do when there is a grounds maintenance contract but we have plans for a modest and probably inconsequential plot outside the back door alongside The Terrace.  Already there is abundant growth in the pots atop the brick wall which include pansies, raspberries and sweet peas.  The hanging baskets of thornless blackberries are in full flower.  The rose which was planted discreetly in the ground some weeks ago and flanked by pots of lavender is growing at a rate of knots and may soon no longer need its "security" which will move along to be outside the garden gate.  A patch of soil was dug over, bins removed from the path to the fence-line and the area generally swept and tidied.  We shall see how that develops and whether our fellow tenants are wiling to make any effort at keeping the shared area in respectable condition.

Having exerted myself moderately in the warm sun I then refreshed with a bottle of Tribute and later a glass of Lindemans Chardonnay which helped the evening meal of roast cluckbird and salads go down very well.  

We had plans to visit Windsor but SWMBO is fighting shy of the place in tomorrows warm weather and the likely crowds - nay hordes - of visitors on a Ban Collar Day immediately in advance of a Royal Welding.  We'll go another time.  If the tyres stay inflated on the bike overnight, having not been used for a good five years, I'll pedal off somewhere shady with the camera and binoculars instead.  

Hope the evening and coming night are restful for all.  Special good wishes to those on the sick list.

• Like 18

Greetings all. Brands Hatch was very warm in the sun today and there are signs that despite the sun cream that we have all caught the sun. Younger Lurker has particularly enjoyed the racing (GT 3 and GT4 for those that unlike me know what that means) ; a selection of Audi’s, beemers Bentleys, Lamborghinis, Giannetti’s and Ferrari’s kept him very happy but also the demonstration by some of the owners of their hypercars; koenigseggs, a pagani and others

• Like 16

Talking of mixing up letters.

I had a girlfriend that used to buy her underwear from C&A. I asked why and she said it was because the C&A meant she knew which way round to wear it..... She did not become Mrs NB.

Thoughts to the many ERs in need - ChrisF, Andyram, Debs et al.

HB Mrs SM.

Stocktake of the important stuff done at work over the last couple of days. I thought our little group of three had the easy bit, but how wrong was I. Lots of one of these/two of those/what the heck is that? And then a box containing about 20000 (yep - 20,000) small screws. Thankfully, mostly in bags of 1000 and the two bags that weren't were weighed and an approximate number calculated.

Sunday home commute is often the awkward one and especially when the weather is good. I don't often rant about driving as I've seen most things, but today was one of those awkward days. I could stereotype the car and it's occupants, but doing 25mph on a NSL road with conditions for far more than 25 should not be out there. I bet they are "rabbit in headlights" on a motorway..........

Mrs NB's friend from the US arrived today on a work trip (with a present for me that is grey/blue and yellow with 1155 on the side in her luggage) and we've had a pleasant evening over a meal catching up (mine was a rather nice lump of fillet steak). We are all out for the day tomorrow possibly heading towards 45156 country and possibly Lancaster Castle (Mrs NB has just discovered that Lancaster food festival is on, so we may go there) before friend has to go to work on Tuesday for a week or so before heading home. We will meet up again in September in Portugal.

Any spare time over the next few days will be working on DL (see sig for link) to get it ready for the upcoming show at Derby. If anyone is in the vicinity (Andyram/Andy P/PeterBB?) then come and say hello, but not on Saturday morning as that will probably be a bit of a shakedown with the layout)

Have good Bank holiday if you can folks.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm certainly hoping to get there Mick. as for early morning, well that's Sausage Cob time I'm afraid. :sungum:  More brown sauce please. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

....had a girlfriend that used to buy her underwear from C&A. I asked why and she said it was because the C&A meant she knew which way round to wear it..... She did not become Mrs NB....

No, but she might have become Mrs BN.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Like yesterday the weather has been glorious, not your typical bank holiday weekend at all.

After a short lie-in and breakfast in bed, it was up and straight out to the workshop to make a start on moving the storage cupboards. However, before that, I gave the picture frame a coat of paint. It had a second coat before dinner and a third just before I packed up for the day this afternoon. I’ll give it a rub down tomorrow to see how it’s turned out and whether it needs a fourth coat or not, I do suspect it will.

In the corner by the bench I have a small metal shelving unit, made out of dexion, on which I store my power tools. It’s a bit too big to fit in the corner, so I’m going to make a narrower, but taller one out of wood. I’ve checked my stockpile of wood and I think I’ve got enough, but it’ll have to wait until I’ve finished re-arranging the workshop, oh and painting Sheila’s picture frame of course!

Happy birthday Mrs Mike.

Goodnight all.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Went the day well, yes it really did.  But before I forget I did see one of those Dustermobiles - I know it was a Duster because it said Duster on the back and Duster on those handrail things that run along the roof, it was white - not as classy looking as the GDBmodbile.  I also saw two Ferraris, an Aston Martin, and a McLaren but they only had discreet badges instead of big friendly letters telling me what they were.

So first to Wyevale on the Bath Road east of Twyford, two pots obtained, barbeques examined but none nought.  Thence via a carefully chosen route to miss the worst of the traffic (95% successful) to Root One for a cuppa and a toasted sarnie and looking for lavender plants - no lavender of the correct sort was found.  However herself then had a brainwave and we set off for a place called 'The Herb Centre' - where I saw and read the Duster and she selected and bought 6 lavender plants to go with those we already including the 8 or 9 self-seeded ones out in the front garden; ahh but the ones she bought today were 'different'.

Home to rest eyelids and salad for tea.

G'night all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The storm the other day apparently has stopped the nearby StreetCar museum -- three trees down on the line and all power off.

We started at the antiques market -- bought 3 books between us. I have a ca. 1900 high school reader and a small book of narrative poems. SWMBO bought a book of pictures ofEnglish literary sites -- included are the 39 steps and Piccadilly. Found my dad's copy when we got home. Then garden centre for some spreading plants and a bit of garage cleanup.

Wondering how much I should do about the hole in the soffit waiting for the insurance appraiser.

• Like 12

Duster

One of the best cars I have driven in recent years though has the slightly firm feel common to many SUV types which not everyone likes.  Daft name. 

That name in the US belongs to the Plymouth Duster. A margue long confined to the dustbin of automotive history.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

SWMBO woke up around 05:15, and came downstairs, this got Ben the Border Collie excited and he clambered on me to let me know. So much for my lie in...

I've been out on patrol with Ben, I see our bluebells are finally out, 2 weeks later than those inland.

Ben of course has now gone to sleep at my feet, snoring. Head on my feet, so I can't go anywhere without him.

Porridge will be made shortly.

I would go out directly but I need the great fried egg to dry out the shed roof..

Time to.. err not do a lot..

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  The weather over the weekend was good too, but we had a fairly quiet time.

There isn't a lot else to report, so have a good day everyone...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice picture Dom.

As it's a bank holiday I shall finish the emergency crust earning then mow the lawns.

After that the day is my own.

Busy week after today. Off to deliver said emergency stock Tuesday. Wednesday umpiring, Thursday umpiring, Saturday umpiring but rain due, Sunday umpiring but rain due.

Friday is Moreasons day and..its due to rain.

Never mind I need to do some decorating apparently.....

Have as good a day as you can especially all who ails (including Debs, Mal, Simon, AndyRam and Roberts dad and anyone else who I may have missed).

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning form another sunny one in Birmingham.

A great day yesterday finishing off in the Post office Vaults then the Wellington in the city centre.

This morning we hope to catch the loco hauled (or pushed) heading back to Marylebone. Just hoping that our train from London isnt affected by the problems yesterday where overcrowding  caused by rail replacement buses at Gatwick made the news.

• Like 16