The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning everyone. Thoughts with Debs at the moment - updates have gone worryingly quiet. I hope that the treatment has been a success. Supportive wishes to all others who need them. I am pleased to hear ChrisF's own black dog is slowly beginning to retreat towards its kennel. I was quite concerned by some of the earlier posts. Keeping busy is definitely a good thing.

Mick (NB) - I am planning to visit the Derby show - although it will most likely be Saturday morning. I will look out for you. 

I have been a bit limited in posting time recently. The weekend has been very busy. On Saturday, I was helping Sarah at a craft fair that she had booked to attend. It was in the beer garden of a local pub. The weather was kind, and we found a nice shady spot which meant I did not have to wrestle with the gazebo. Sadly the event was not that profitable. Hardly anyone attended between the 10am opening and lunchtime. The lunch trade brought a few people out and it picked up a little in the afternoon. It was noticeable that many people came out into the garden to enjoy a drink in the fine weather, but did not bother to wander around the stalls. The takings were hardly acceptable for a full day out. Mind you, there are worse ways to spend a Saturday than sat in a pub garden.

Yesterday was dominated by Derby County's final league game of the season. A play off place secured now brings the mad rush to buy a ticket for the next game. We have only been given 36 hours to secure our seats.

What of the black dog? The change in tablet routine has resulted in many sleepless nights which has not helped things. However it does seem to be stabilising. I need to pop into the doctors to sort the sickness form to cover this week. Then there will be the follow up appointment with the doctor to organise because my course of tablets ends this week. The mood has lifted, but does descend very quickly at times of stress. Even a visit to the vets with the oldest cat was enough to trigger a wobble. What will happen beyond this week remains to be seen.

One thing that will happen this week will be an appointment with the accountant. I continue to look into the possibility of setting up my own business which, I hope, will eventually  replace teaching. That will be a long way off but, in the first instance, the plan is to do supply work to bring in the money whilst the business starts up. I remain unsure about the future at present.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

Hot here already this AM Her is clearing up while I've been ordered to start on putting things that need screwing back on the wall 

I did say were do you want to be put but that one went straight over Her head. :rolleyes:

We laughed last night when the Dacia ad' came on with the Dork cutting the grass in one I think GDB should grateful they named the model

he has the Duster it could have been called Broom, Hand Brush or even Dust Pan I'm sure they will name the next model as something 

exacting as a cleaning implement I thought Dyson or VAX would be cool.  :rofl:

enjoy your day A DeWALT    :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 12

Good morning!

Taps-aff yesterday for fair-skinned and freckly young Scottish males, of course, and taps-aff for the soft-top cars. See that sunblock is to blame for wrecking coral reefs. What are we to do?

Can't match Ian Abel booking Fleetwood Mac, but did book front row seats (£35 each) at the Edinburgh Playhouse for a production of Martyn Bennett's Bothy Culture on 21 August, part of the festival. For those who don't know, Martyn Bennett crossed the pipes with beats, producing a unique Celtic Fusion sound. He died far too young from cancer, here in Edinburgh in 2005, at the tender age of 33. Saw him play a fabulous live set in a small club La Belle Angele in the late '90s. There are still tix for 21 August, btw!

Today, heading to mum's to collect her specs for repair; opticians are open. Then pack a couple of eBay sales for trip to the PO tmrw.

Cloudy just now.

Have a hot day in the south!

Mal

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Opened the packages collected yesterday when I got home. One contained a 00 replica of a Sulzer 6 LDA A28 diesel engine/generator and the other a selection of resin scenic items from a manufacturer called Anyscale models. Included is such items as a bouncy castle and a sunken barge. The engine came ready painted but the other items are in the raw. I will attempt venturing out later, depends on how hard the hay fever hits, its not too bad at the moment but its wait and see. Andy and Chris, I hope you can keep your respective black dogs in their kennels and I hope as we all do for news of Debs. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Not much achieved this weekend so far apart from planting out some sweat peas and tomatoes. 

Other achievements include snoozing; last week was hectic and the 2 weeks to come are likely to be somewhat tricky. 

So, apologies in arrears for not posting for a while and for radio silence in the coming days. 

No modelling done as I haven't been in the mood. 

A bbq is planned for lunch time.  

Best wishes to one and all. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I presume there's a Cur(i)e for that.

Marie Curie died due to the radiation effects of not only her research but also due to her exposure during her pioneering medical support work for wounded soldiers during WW1. She was not appreciated by the French establishment at the time, which was even by the standards of that time xenophobic. The British scientific establishment even in the year she was a Nobel laureate didn't allow her due to gender to talk. I suppose we shouldn't judge different times by modern standards but in darker moments I sometimes worry that certain things in the world are making it again difficult for someone like Marie Curie.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Roof mostly done, (ran out of materials)

Patresses fitted, ( managed to crack one)

Grass mostly cut ( more fallen branches need clearing up.)

Trip to car boot mostly done, (got there to find it not there, even though it was advertised)

Got motor bike out ready for mot ( battery flat now on charge)

Allyway mostly cleared of rubbish ( 3 barrow loads, old screw boxes, leaves, empty sealant tubes, off cut of wood, strange bit and pieces SWMBO had hidden in there,, etc

More work discovered,

Bench / hose cupboard to be built. (SWMBOs suggestion)

Stand for outboard motors required (they had been clamped to the bench framework in the alleyway.)

Time to... (go down the shed and meter the chainsaw on a stick pattern charger)

• Like 18

Moanday here, and NOT a bank holiday - one forgets, being in the land of very limited days off, that sensible places have them much more frequently. :O

Little to report from yesterday, quiet and pleasant, the afternoon spent on the porch reading, drinking tea and inspecting eyelids.

Looks like we may be invoking the phone insurance as the Mrs dropped hers in the bathroom last evening. It seems OK, but has complained a couple of times about moisture in the charging port :jester:, given she cracked the screen six months back but wasn't bothered enough to get it replaced I suggested this may be the time to apply the insurance option.

Time will tell...

Delightful 16 sunny and no humidity to speak of, 29 for a high.

Onward with work for me, I'll leave the lounging and relaxing to you lucky bums on holiday.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17

Debs Update

Chemo 4 is done – and it was just as gruelling

Chemo 5 starts tomorrow – an eleven day stretch. It’s going to be tough – very. And she’ll be under observation the whole time – which will make the tough tougher. We’ll only know of the success potential in the weeks that follow. I am, of course, in touch with both James and Sister Jen.

The strain is showing in frequent sleeps and reduced concentration. However the sense of humour is (very) intact and I’m having to tax my brains. She’s also sometimes writing in French – they have a French chef who looks after her and she’s the only one in the hospital willing to talk to him in his native language. This gets her special treatment, I’m pleased to say.

She’s also had to move room to a negative pressure room as some of the treatment is inhaled and they have to protect the nurses from the Chemo drugs.

In herself she is in good/reasonable spirits. Keith, Elsie and James re with her this afternoon, except we have a Fromage Fiasco! Elsie left all the cheeses they were supposed to be brining on in the fridge at home. So no delivery from (Debs’ words) 'Hard of hearing cheeses'......Camel bert, Wendy's pale, Rick otter and Gordon's older. James is now out on a mercy mission to discover what he can on a Bank Holiday afternoon to assuage the longing.

Debs has said that really enjoys receiving Alan’s (Benachie’s) dedication and generous kindness in sending messages and would once again like to thank him for taking the time to write to someone he’s never met. The thanks can never be overstated.

They really are making the difference.

I’m afraid that I haven’t had the time recently to trawl the forum to pick up anything, so if you have a message to send please PM or email me. Marking and new course design is currently in the way of me doing a number of things.

I am trying to provide eclectic listening for Debs each day with an evening concert from YouTube. The thing that’s really missing is the G&T in the interval.

As I’ve said – if you wish to, please PM or email and I’ll send on.

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the news of Debs..

I mentioned a failed chainsaw on a stick a few days ago, the lack of availability of new battery packs has forced me to open this one up. Luckily it was screws only, and standard lithium cells inside. One has definitely blown another looks suspect so I don't trust the others. So I've ordered a set of 5 with solder tags, made by LG. £26 not as much as I was expecting...

A border collie is staring at me, I think we'll take him to the beach it's a bit cooler.

Motorbike still on charge, could be an all night job...

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry I have not posted for a few days - thanks John for the Debs update.  Greatly appreciated, and we're all rooting for her and for a speedy recovery.

ChrisF and others suffering from a Back Dog - I just hope that it gets back in its kennel as soon as possible.

Mick - hope you enjoy the food festival - it's not my sort of thing at all, but each to his own.  I do prefer on a bank holiday to stand a car boot sale, and that is just what we did - 4.40 this morning was the get up time, to be on the field by 6, and set up by 7.  As Lily's in kennels, we didn't need to rush home, as we can't get her out over the bank holiday, and as my brother was visiting yesterday, it was better to have her away - but then she does like being there which is no bad thing.  30747 appears to now be catching up with some eyelid inspection, and I really should as well, so I will.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

Morning form another sunny one in Birmingham.

A great day yesterday finishing off in the Post office Vaults then the Wellington in the city centre.

This morning we hope to catch the loco hauled (or pushed) heading back to Marylebone. Just hoping that our train from London isnt affected by the problems yesterday where overcrowding  caused by rail replacement buses at Gatwick made the news.

Last time I was in Birmingham I was in the lift at my hotel and Kate Bush and her entourage stepped into the lift too.

It was quite a long time ago :)

Edit: Funny how the old brain works. I couldn't remember the name of the hotel when I posted that. (I was there about forty years ago). But two hours later, for no apparent reason, the name popped into my head - it was the Royal Angus (company was paying).

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

BBQ fired up. It's Pimms o Clock. The patio is coated in brick dust from the building works. Really tired of it.

It seems to be Pimms o’clock here most of the day this weekend ;)
  • Like 17

BBQ yesterday. Marvelous bank holiday weekend, got loads of DIY tasks done, and managed to fire up the bike for a relaxing ride out round the lanes. Never had Pimms. SWMBO's latest tipple of choice is Rhubarb gin, and tonic. It's OK, but I'll stick with a decent English IPA.

• Like 13

Talking of mixing up letters.

I had a girlfriend that used to buy her underwear from C&A. I asked why and she said it was because the C&A meant she knew which way round to wear it..... She did not become Mrs NB.

Cheers,

Mick

Did she spend a lot of time in A&E learning her ar5e from her elbow?

I went to Birmingham once.

Painted the exterior window sills today and then lunched at the Ship Inn (no other Ship Inns are available).

Now sat in the garden with a Trappist Rochefort 8, nice strength at 9.2 Belgian beer. Somebody has to do it!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Peeps 

A couple of Buds have been necked I managed to see the last couple of frame of Snooker the last few frames should be good

in the evening session. 

One storage heater put back on the wall, curtain rail attached as is safety straps on a draw unit two display cases, huge picture

put up a screw in the wall to hang the clock on, a new plug on the multi-socket fixed on 1 deWALT battery on change and now

the back aching plus 2 thumbs and a 2 inch scratch on the arm that p!ssed blood everywhere is sore I'm getting like my accident

prone mate but will not reveal Bobs his name.

Oh and I did manage spraying 3 LMS vans I had built in the week early this morning before SWMBO got Her ar$£ out of bed.

Her now becons as dinner is ready .

A. K.Nackeredone

• Like 2