The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've built 20ft of shelving using leftover bits of wood,

I'll raise you 44 feet.

post-25691-0-39042000-1524933806_thumb.jpg

I use 2 x 1 (really 1.5" x .75") "furring strips". They are a lot easier to handle than solid planks. I screw the lateral batons on the top arm of the brackets first then attach the brackets to the walls.

post-25691-0-30434700-1524933848_thumb.jpg

After that it takes very little time and effort to attach the strips to form the shelves. They are stapled on with one of these.

post-25691-0-98912100-1524933871_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 15

Ah, but he wasn't in Seattle and neither is the site of that pic ....   And I thought this one would be easy :scratchhead:  (so did Jamie). 

But he was in Seattle. (not a lot of people know that)

EDIT: I like to make easy things difficult :)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 7

Ps hope Chrisf has had a good start to his journey

Left the house at 05:30, walked to the station in the rain - excellent weather for a blockade! - and climbed aboard the bus which took 65 minutes to reach Luton via every back road you could imagine and took two wrong turnings, one of which was on the station forecourt.

Tomorow it's A421, A40 and M5, which does have the potential to be a bit better.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I consider myself exempt from that one, Mike!

Had a nice sunny visit to the Museum of Internal Fire, lot of Donking about done, nephew who is from the Allen family liked the Allen diesel engines.  There's a Deltic engine out back too, not likely to get that one going though.

Now its persisting down, it is Wales after all.....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. If Tony made it to the exhibition at Benfleet I think I would have missed him anyway. Both myself and my friend with young son in tow left for Romford about 11:30 having arrived at opening time or just after. I did find a bargain at the show, a motorised Ratio Midland 2-4-0 with a brass chassis, not sure of what motor is fitted but it is seized and hence set me back only £6:00. A very good show with some interesting layouts. I decided to go to the Romford show via the A13/Dagenham/Beacontree Heath/Whalebone Lane route. It was OK until I reached Beacontree Heath which was gridlocked due to roadworks a temporary traffic lights right outside the bus terminus. This meant that a nominal half hours journy took over an hour. The traffic passing the venue of the Romford show was also heavier than usual, apparently due to an accident on the A12, the normal route I would have taken so I lost very little by the looks of it. Going home was easy as I was born in Romford and bought up in the area and a bit of local knowledge goes a long way and there were no hold-ups. Purchased a couple of 'ready to plant' buildings from the club stand at Romford for use in dioramas. The show was good with quite a few layouts that were new to me. Glad to hear from Debs and that she is making progress however slowly and best wishes to all other ailing ER's.

• Like 17

Home from Nescot and a drink with HJ in the Royal Oak.

Had a coffee with Chris, and a wave from GDB whilst I was covering the South Western Circle stand.

Jamie, I took a punt on some LMS pre-grouping transfers from the club second hand stand.  Discuss?

Off to bed, church and Romford tomorrow?

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Mike it is obvious to anyone who watched them filming it at Blackhall Colliery aerial flight..Nuff Said....

Cricket washed out today, then my next game was washed out now my game tomorrow has been cancelled..bugggritt! But it looks like I may have two weeks of umpiring in July/August coming up. Woopppiiidddooo!

Glad to hear from Debs. She shouldn't worry about us - we just want to help her get better...

Now time for a beer or three...

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I did go to the Benfleet exhibition. I was invited to attend the club. I said I would think about it. Everyone was very pleasant.

Phil.It was nearly 1pm when I got there.

A small exhibition was about all I could cope with today. Still feeling exhausted.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

We’ve had a very pleasant evening with Mike and Sarah. Sarah is now back at work full time and feeling a lot better than she did a few weeks ago, when she was hospitalised with meningitis. We had a great meal, but then we always do form that particular Indian takeaway. As Sarah was driving Mike was able to have a beer with me and when they’d gone, we opened up another bottle of red (Mike doesn’t drink wine) and then sat and watch a film.

Glad to read that Deb’s is feeling better, but it’s fingers crossed again for her tomorrow when she has her next chemo session.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.   Good to hear from Debs in reasonably good form.

A long day has been had at the wheel and at the late parents' house clearing numerous items and leaving mostly the furniture and a number of books.  The road south was tortuously slow.  Avoiding Kingston town centre which is always fraught on a Saturday morning we opted for the route via Hampton Court.  That was pretty slow but came to a grinding halt at Hook. We had joined the queue to enter Chessington's World of Adventures.  Finally getting clear of that a couple of miles and a half-hour later we then passed stationary traffic trying to enter same from the south and which tailed back apparently stationary all the way to the Leatherhead by-pass.  

Further heavy traffic was encountered through the Leatherhead - Dorking and Horsham areas and cockwombles were out in abundance.  One in particular almost caused a disaster.  As I entered a roundabout on the Leatherhead by-pass a vehicle drove in ahead of me from the next entry who should probably have given way as I was well within the roundabout.  Fair go - I saw him coming and braked.  But the elderly female driver of the car behind him ALSO drove on and waved gaily as if to say "Thank You" while I slammed on the anchors and performed an emergency stop in the middle of a two-lane roundabout.  Nothing and no-one was gong to get in the way of her Saturday morning shopping trip!  Then there were the white vans (yes, all were white) which crossed multiple lanes to exit high-speed roads without signalling and the one who entered on the Horsham by-pass and cheerfully drove from the entry slip into the right-hand lane before STOPPING.  

The run back was clear and completed in a record 85 minutes.  Typically it has taken 2 hours.  I am now the custodian of dad's substantial collection of classical music CDs, multiple albums of my late uncle's colour-slide photos (all dated, none with subject details) for scanning and have taken possession of some items of family value which were willed to me including my grandfather's engraved retirement watch (yes it's gold), his WW1 and WW2 medals and his father (my great-great grandfather)'s WW1 medals.  I'm not into military history but these are all in their original boxes and wraps and as they are "in the family" they shall remain so. 

Tomorrow will see some reshuffling of the contents upon the Hill and the squeezing in of even more stuff than we already have.  At least covering the carpets means we don't need to clean them!!!

Off to the sleeping car now.  Night all. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I consider myself exempt from that one, Mike!

Had a nice sunny visit to the Museum of Internal Fire, lot of Donking about done, nephew who is from the Allen family liked the Allen diesel engines.  There's a Deltic engine out back too, not likely to get that one going though.

Now its persisting down, it is Wales after all.....

I did wonder about granting exemptions to those who would obviously know the answer - but that might have confused those who didn't.  For those who still haven't turned Harry Palmer into Jack Carter here are some pictures of the same spot but from different angles and before the top part was destroyed by fire.

http://www.getcarter.xyz/locations/blyth-staithes/

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 10

I did wonder about granting exemptions to those who would obviously know the answer - but that might have confused those who didn't.  For those who still haven't turned Harry Palmer into Jack Carter here are some pictures of the same spot but from different angles and before the top part was destroyed by fire.

http://www.getcarter.xyz/locations/blyth-staithes/

Oddly enough Caine was in the re-make too, but I bet he wishes he hadn't bothered.

• RMweb Premium

Where is the completely mystified button?

GBTS went well today. I managed to keep people from buying my demonstration samples. Some comments about the very British weather.

Drive home was chaotic. Trying to avoid the single road that goes west (and through al the towns), we took the back roads which go NE/NW (laid out, I believe, at right anges to the lake). One major road turned out to be dirt (used to be paved) and driver did not trust my map reading.

• Like 3

One major road turned out to be dirt (used to be paved)

The reverse of 'blacktop politics'? Vote for us or we'll rip up your roads?

Edited by pH

Being unable to sleep I was browsing thru YouTube (as you do) and found this odd little film of railwayania from Greenwich.

I fully expect to be the only one on here who did not know of it - not that it is spectacularly interesting. The walls of the alley go through the border of two houses.

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Being unable to sleep I was browsing thru YouTube (as you do) and found this odd little film of railwayania from Greenwich.

I fully expect to be the only one on here who did not know of it - not that it is spectacularly interesting. The walls of the alley go through the border of two houses.

Best, Pete.

That popped up on my YouTube feed as well Pete. Though I knew of the branch from articles, I had no idea about it's exact location and enjoyed the film.

Good morning from a quiet and brightening village. Good to hear some news from Debs.

After my exertions in the morning stacking pallets, I had a fairly restful afternoon. The main thing was putting a model boat (A Billing Boats Smit London) on Ebay. It's been in the loft for 20 years and has suffered a few knocks whilst up there. I've been pleasantly surprised to have attracted 20 watchers already. One guy has already asked me for a "Buy it Now" price. I've had to turn him down as I've absolutely no idea what value to put on it. I'll let the market decide.

In the evening we went out to some friends to share a Chinese meal. They're coming to stay with us in France in August with their severely autistic teenage daughter. The evening was meant to be about planning the trip but they kept the TV on all evening and there was very little conversation. I behaved myself and didn't comment but we did manage to sort out the route during one of the ad breaks.

Anyway church beckons this morning with a sort of Songs of praise then a lunch. This afternoon I am to help plant a rose bush and scatter the ashes in memory of Beth's dad. Both brother in law's and partners will be there. I'll try not to lay one out with a spade.

Anyway I hope that as good a day as is possible may be had by all. Breakfast awaits.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9mDv-QR0eo

Best, Pete.

How would anyone know it is down a ginnel? Fascinating

• RMweb Premium

Hey up from a blue sky covered West Leeds Highlands.

As cricket is off for me today a bit of crust earning may be completed.

Enjoy whatever yo do today, best thoughts for those that ails and hope the Chemo goes ok for Debs

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning one and all

I didn't expect to be posting this morning but it will not be long before I hit the road for Staplegrove.  The new CD arrived on Thursday - from Portland, Oregon, rather than the Quebec which I had expected.  From what I have heard so far it will be an ideal accompaniment to the journey across the Cotswolds.

That'll be 'Duelling Banjoes' then!

• Like 1