The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday we had a company spam from the USA, saying there were burserys available for company employees, children at university.

Today we get an an email appologising that, that was meant for USA employees only.

This morning there is a sign up saying the fire alarm will be tested at 11:00,

at 10:48 it went off....

This morning there is an email saying the company is on Yammer from Japan.

What the h**l that is I don't know and I have no intention of finding out..

The delete button is often busy on my computer here...

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday we had a company spam from the USA, saying there were burserys available for company employees, children at university.

Today we get an an email appologising that, that was meant for USA employees only.

This morning there is a sign up saying the fire alarm will be tested at 11:00,

at 10:48 it went off....

This morning there is an email saying the company is on Yammer from Japan.

What the h**l that is I don't know and I have no intention of finding out..

The delete button is often busy on my computer here...

Yammer is a social networking tool for business - we have it and I ignore it.

• Like 2

.....moment of excitement yesterday back at the Hill as three vans all prominently marked IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT drew up on the verge.  a large number of plain-clothed personnel sweated for some considerable time and were overheard passing messages by two-way radio the content of which should not have been overheard 100 yards or so away and most definitely is not for consumption here.  The Thai restaurant may have received a visit, and likewise the massage parlour.  The "corner shop" didn't seem to be of interest.  We know from news reports that the massage parlour, also owned by Thais, was visited three years ago but no offences were found.....

One of my old clients was detained the other day, and now I will have to book a visit to see her at Yarls Wood....

• RMweb Gold

Today has been decreed "P(Packing)-Day." That should be fun but The Boss is in charge and is very skilled at that task. I shall offer advice get in the way.

Nothing much else essential to do so I may go for a walk in the sun. ( but not at midday, I am English and slightly mad but not a dog  :no: )

Have a good one,

Bob.

Afternoon Peeps

I have this vision of GDB washed and ironed and hanging from the picture rail in the bedroom with a note pinned to his shirt not to be moved till required.  :sarcastic:

Back in Builders clothes today I cleared the dinning room of all the furniture and fixtures removed for the Plasterer tomorrow to skim the ceiling, hats worn today are Builder,

Electrician, Labourer and Slave, SWMBO was in brainless mode today she said after the Plasterer had been she wanted me to put everything back in the dinning room clear the lounge 

decorate that room then clear the dinning room AGAIN to decorate in there.  :banghead: 

Last night I had a bit of luck when moving a storage heater out of the way to decorate a few weeks ago I broke 2 ceramic chocy-blocks which hold the eliments in I spent a week

tracking down some new ones which were installed and the heater is back up and working I saved £500 on not getting a new heater, a sign on the back says "no cosumer parts

available" and a couple of phone calls made to dealers to be told they can't be fixed you need a new one what a con !. 

Later Each and Every

• Like 17

Now back home after today’s chemo session. The current plan is now 2/3rds complete. There was still a sea mist when we got home at lunchtime, but it rolled away early afternoon and the sun finally came out. It still wasn’t particularly warm, poss 14degrees, as there was still a cool sea breeze. However, it was a marked improvement on the last few days.

The weekend grass cutter has just arrived (aka no1 son), but he is as yet blissfully unaware of his forthcoming task!

On a positive note, we had a card today from a niece who got married in February to say that she is expecting. She had said at the wedding that they didn’t want to hang around and wanted a family as soon as possible, so it appears that they didn’t hang around!! We will try to FaceTime her this evening.

• Like 11

A stone train? Thought they were mostly of metal.

Cue the requests for the GROAN button..... :jester:

Very late today especially since it's POETS.

Had an early (here) conference call with another client, that lasted way longer than required. Did result in me being offered up to provide them some ejukashun in a couple of weeks

Fortunately all remote as I'm not sure even where they are located, but I KNOW it's not "here"

Nothing else to report at all, Whitney, Bob and I just taking things slowly. Though Whitney and I took a walk yesterday afternoon.

4 this AM headed for 12 and sunny. Been "WARNED" by the seaweed twirlers that if we're not careful the LAWN will be visible by mid-Sunday! Horrors, no more snow :O

Hope your weekend start well, I'm going to POE and hope you can too.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I have this vision of GDB washed and ironed and hanging from the picture rail in the bedroom with a note pinned to his shirt not to be moved till required.  :sarcastic:

Bob - you are really very close to the mark there! Suffice to say that if I touch, move or even look at anything now I may not survive to board the ship. The nearest I've been allowed to get to the cases is to affix the luggage labels!

My work is now done.  :yes:  

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Bob - you are really very close to the mark there! Suffice to say that if I touch, move or even look at anything now I may not survive to board the ship. The nearest I've been allowed to get to the cases is to affix the luggage labels!

My work is now done. :yes:

So how many suitcases are you taking? We have only ever been on cruises that start and finish in Southampton and I wonder if the 500kg capacity of the Freelander is adequate. We haven't done any that require flying to meet the ship. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

One of my old clients was detained the other day, and now I will have to book a visit to see her at Yarls Wood....

Its not one of our finest hoteliers is it? A London barrister in her time but now, well .......

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We're going from Southampton Tony. TBH I wouldn't do it any other way. Son Steve is coming with us again so we're going in his Velar. One large case, 20kg max, 1 medium about 14kg, 1 small one, 1 heavy duty suit carrier and my rucksack. (just in case there's a model railway show!  :jester: ) plus Steve's luggage. We've probably got far too many clothes but as the only restriction is the space in the cabin it doesn't matter. At Southampton the car is taken to the secure compound as you know and the cases are spirited away and you don't see them until you get to the cabin. Much easier than airports.

The only possible problem may be heavy traffic as there are road closures because of the Southampton marathon on Sunday but there is a recommended route in to the docks.

Can't wait now.  :yes:

PS. We did a Mediterranian cruise about 20 years ago and flew to Majorca. That did limit us with luggage and I wouldn't do it again.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We're going from Southampton Tony. TBH I wouldn't do it any other way. Son Steve is coming with us again so we're going in his Velar. One large case, 20kg max, 1 medium about 14kg, 1 small one, 1 heavy duty suit carrier and my rucksack. (just in case there's a model railway show!  :jester: ) plus Steve's luggage. We've probably got far too many clothes but as the only restriction is the space in the cabin it doesn't matter. At Southampton the car is taken to the secure compound as you know and the cases are spirited away and you don't see them until you get to the cabin. Much easier than airports.

The only possible problem may be heavy traffic as there are road closures because of the Southampton marathon on Sunday but there is a recommended route in to the docks.

Can't wait now.  :yes:

PS. We did a Mediterranian cruise about 20 years ago and flew to Majorca. That did limit us with luggage and I wouldn't do it again.

So you would find a small rucksack of clothes (with space for modelling purchases) a bit tight for two weeks then?? :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cricket watched, cricket umpired ( University of Leeds Women v Leinster University Women - indoors)

Nice and warm day so I have managed to get a bit of heat back in my joints..luvverrly!

More umpiring tomorrow... hopefully no one falls foul of the New Law 42.3!!

c u later!

baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

So you would find a small rucksack of clothes (with space for modelling purchases) a bit tight for two weeks then?? :sungum:

Yep!  I think  know The Boss would concur as well. One thing "we" don't do on holiday is laundry. Oh no.  :no:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, and the Awl from a village that is still near a certain Swedish furniture store.   We had an interesting journey to St Malo yesterday as we got delayed by what looked to be quite a bad accident near Rennes.   Lots of traffic jams but we managed to get through.   Lots of Fire, Police and paramedics in attendance and Beth saw them doing CPR on at least one casualty. The resulting jams meant the ring road was solid so I ended up following my nose (Beth alleges that it's big enough) through the centre of Rennes and eventually got onto the St Malo Road.

Anyway we got home safely after lunch and have unpacked the liquid ballast from the car, it as only there to make sure that we towed the trailer OK, honest guv.   

Beth had just  minutes to turn round and head off to a hospital appointment.   She did make it but then found that they have stopped free parking for blue badge holders and she had no English currency for the machine.   Fortunately she didn't get a ticket.

Anyway generic C's and C's to all concerned especially Simon.  I hope the results are good.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We went for our eye tests today. Both basically ok. Aditi's retinas showed some indication of having had diabetes for some years but nothing to worry about while her diabetes is well controlled. My eye problems seem still to be restricted to external scarring and other external problems so as long as I don't go and live on a mountain top or work in a dusty environment I'll be ok. Walking home with well dilated pupils wasn't fun on a very sunny day.

If the weather is nice tomorrow we may go for a walk somewhere. Possibly round a local reservoir. We never went before as dogs were not allowed and if we went for a walk in the countryside it was usually with Robbie.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Yep!  I think  know The Boss would concur as well. One thing "we" don't do on holiday is laundry. Oh no.  :no:

We never intend to but sometimes do. One year Aditi even did what Matthew said was a terrible holiday thing to do. She went shopping in Marks and Spencer in Gibraltar as she had spilt something down a white blouse and the stain wouldn't wash out.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just back from the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society,

He as usual got lots of cuddles, and managed to scrounge an extra biscuit while I wasn't looking...

I did some thatching, well actually gave some a hair cut and minor dyeing.

Then some wood filler was used on a stone effect viaduct before some dark grey primer was applied.

Then I realized that an iarnrod, was legally required to have its perimeter edged by a feansadh, pricing this up each parcel of land 3ft by 2ft would require about £40 of feansadh, there being 6 parcels of land makes it too expensive. Alternatives are being looked at but there is not a lot of choice at 1/148.

Well my bed time choccy has been consumed,

Good night.

• Like 4