The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Greetings and good morning all,

A dull start to the day here but it should be bright and breezy with some sunny spells. 

I might cut the grass today but first task is to visit Sainsbury's.  How unusual!  :no:

This afternoon Gemma & Joe will be here after school so that's a plus.

Nothing else to report at the moment so..

..have a good one.

Bob.

Morning Kate

When are you going on that boat thing I'm trying to work out show dates buddy.

I'm glad my SiL didn't work for me when I was in building trade I've been trying to get him to finish the garage exterior and even after todays visit (2nd) he's buqqered

off without saying a word and he has still not completed the job.  :banghead:   :wild:  

Right, Her has just gone out so peace has desended upon the house. :danced:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny with the odd cloud this morning. I forgot yesterday about my driving licence application so I'll have to make a point of doing it today. I spoke to my sister last night, she and her husband have a motor caravan and although it is based on a Ford Transit, and not the biggest one either it tips the scales at nearly four tonnes so over the 3:5 tonnes so it looks as if keeping the 'extras' on your licence might be a good idea. I have to get the photograph taken as well but they might be able to tell me if my bus pass is acceptable as a 'travel document', although the photograph is nine years old I don't seem to have changed much.

• Like 17

Andrew,

"This old house ...." came to mind when I read your post and also your rather philosophical response to the 'additional' cost.  Hope it goes well from now on.

With the history we've had with this place we made sure to squirrel away an extra £8k for foreseen costs. Good thing too. As long as we come out the other end with something complete and our bank accounts not in flaming ruins, it will be a good result. I've also been told to chase after the original surveyor from when we bought the house as they should have found this problem 10 years ago. Maybe, just maybe we'll get a few pennies back. Doubt it though. 

Who knew this was actually a documentary: 

• RMweb Premium

No it looks like they've got only Comma  or own brand automatic fluids...

but the bay of fleas have it for £9.27 a litre delivered

Edited by TheQ

A very windy day here and wet all morning, so I got soaked when I had to go to town for an eye test. I wore a raincoat, but my trousers were soaked after walking to Specsavers. I also need a new pair of glasses as the prescription has changed, and the old ones are a bit scratched.

The afternoon has been spent removing DCC decoders from 6 locos for a friend who has got fed up with DCC. As most of them were hardwired, it meant a bit of soldering. Of the 4 hardwired one, 3 ran the wrong way after removing the chips - so much for a 50% chance! All now running correctly. One requires a replacement set of valve gear, which is on order along with a 21 pin blanking plate for one of the other locos.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Trip to Garage and Post Office undertaken yesterday; it took all of 1 minute to change the tax class of the replacement vehicle! Proved it's worth this morning with a trip to the doctor, much easier for the patient to climb in and out and plenty of space in the back for the walking aids.

Mike

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon good people shock and amazement SiL Chris pitched again up and dare I say finished the job off I do think SWMBO has had a word with the daughter to prompt him,

that's not bad considering he said he would do it back in Septmberand started it 6 weeks ago  :ireful: suffice to say we are having a ceiling skimmed Sunday by a proper

Plasterer instead of waiting round for months on end for him to get his butt into gear and do the job.

My mate GDB must be pre-occupied today in the bedroom "NO" don't even go there he has his layout in one of them he I thought he might give me an answer my question

by now perhaps a senior moment occurred I do worry . :dontknow:

:secret: While I'm on does anyone have any Bachmann Salt Union open wagons they want to shift on, competitive prices paid. :spiteful:   

Arthur Dailey Railway Dealer :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning Kate

When are you going on that boat thing I'm trying to work out show dates buddy.

My mate GDB must be pre-occupied today in the bedroom "NO" don't even go there he has his layout in one of them he I thought he might give me an answer my question

by now perhaps a senior moment occurred I do worry . :dontknow:

Oops, sorry pardon, I gorfot.  I'm taking my paddles to Hampton in the South on Sunday and then heading towards the North Sea and the land of the Vikings. This means that unfortunately I will miss the Epsom show.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Sold out more likely. :jester:

Other CX owners may have been alerted, eh? :mosking:

E‘ning all. A somewhat wet early morning was followed by a pleasant day. Still on duty till 2345 hours. Nothing much to report aside from that, though.

Hope everyone has been well, or at least recovering. Thoughts to everyone in need of them...

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Suddenly.....nothing happened.

Having said that I visited the Tornado thread - and have had to bite my tongue.  A lot of folk who think they know what they are talking about, talking utter sh*te.  'Shuttle Valve' indeed - ar$e.

• RMweb Premium

Lots of "engineer" with lots of guesswork Neil...

Ian that 737 looks a mess. Unfortunate that a passenger has been killed.

Head cold progressing..buggritt!

Might just try to sleep it off so Goodnight to most!

Baz

I was taken aside for questioning by US immigration when I said I worked in tax, but don't worry not for the Inland Revenue....

You do not joke with US customs/immigration/homeland security officials!  

Double whammy of good news today........

Got appointment with neurosurgeon, just over 7 months!!!! NHS?...what crisis?!

Hopeful no more ridiculous amounts of pills and potions......happy daze. :) :0

Then bought Model Rail....... to see a nice double page pic of the layout and layout room.

Anyone want a signed copy ;)

• Like 2

Is this the only type of AT fluid certified for the CX?

It is for the fully automatic gearbox. CXs only had one: ZF's 3HP22. 70mph gave 3100 rpm, so a bit high. It really needed a 4th gear / overdrive.

There was also a semi-auto/clutchless manual which relied on a unique lubricant: Total Fluide-T created specifically for it. Total stopped making this years ago, and remaining stocks are held by Chevronics and the Citroën Car Club.

Then the manuals: 4 and 5 speed. They apparently weren't easy either if the clutch needed servicing.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Regards to all, especially those who need extra,

100 tapes uploaded but the good times have ended, the lower quality tapes won't load so I've made an executive decision and I'm paying for someone else to do it, the quality won't be as good as I could - hopefully - achieve but at least they are digitized and I can always try and get a better quality copy in the future - although chasing tails comes to mind. I can spend some time fiddling with the camera / computer settings and hoping.... at least knowing I have a digital copy.

Incident on a Southwest flight from La Gaudia to Dallas. Catastrophic engine failure but the plane has landed safely.

Yes, and this accident represents the first US commercial airliner fatality since 2009.  The pictures of the engine look like a mess. Apparently a window was broken. Passengers were clearly terrified.

Curiously, after the oxygen masks deployed, and the plane lost altitude (post engine and cabin pressure failure to reach a safe altitude) the on board WiFi presumably continued to function and at least one passenger held a Facebook Live session to share what they thought might be their last moments.

Southwest had a pretty sterling reputation for maintenance and safety, but this has been subject to some scrutiny in the last couple of years.

Somewhat ironically, on Sunday night the CBS news magazine '60 Minutes' ran a story about Allegiant Air - a budget carrier with a very high safety incident rate. The report compared Allegiant's incident rates to that of the very large domestic airlines (United, American, Delta) but not Southwest. It appears that the FAA changed some of their operating policies regarding safety issues a couple of years ago.

Edited by Ozexpatriate