The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough had a conversation regarding gas at the barbers last Saturday. People were complaining about Calor and how they were getting carp.

Then someone mentioned that they had much better service from Countrywide. However they've gone bust but have sold on their gas service. To whom I don't know but could ask if you want.

This is only hearsay, but several of the people getting pruned said the same thing.

Countrywide are now part of the DCC group who own Flo-gas, an outfit renown for ever increasing prices to exisiting customers..

So If I did go for them then  I'd probably be served By the flogas depot about a mile from the MRC.  With only 3 genuine suppliers there is little choice< but all have had supply problems since Christmas..

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a Sunny Surrey.

Talking of class 700s there were a number that had failed yesterday but luckily we do not use them on the way home. It will be very hardtop avoid them from 20May though. The new timetable will be the decision time for continuing to commute.

Last night we decided to have a few beers in our local Harvey’s pub. Started on the Old and then moved to the Porter. We didn’t stop in our local Wetherspoons after the staff decided to just serve the first person in front of them rather than serve in order. Our biggest gripe with Wetherspoons chain.

The new tender step sent by Hornby is now fitted so now I can get on and detail Appledore once other items are completed. A decoder that was in yesterday’s was also fitted to an Atlas N scale loco that my other half bought secondhand at Ally Pally.

Hoping for POETs today.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Must be a struggle commuting to the layout room

Yes It is a struggle but the brownie point balance isn't yet high enough to go and get it all activated. Hopefully tomorrow I may be granted an hour or two. I have brought some Locos with me this time so will actually be able to run something.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

A better nights sleep as my back didn't complain till after I got up, so about 6.5 hours was had.

A bootiful, morning, the sun had just 15 minutes to appear when I left home, on dry clear roads with no sign of the massive jams of yesterday. A stop at the hole in the wall was required to obtain untraceable muddleing tokens, for tomorrows purchases at the Norwich show. Nothing is actually required, but if you don't have the tokens, you can guarantee there will something there..

The weather on the radio was funny this morning, at non working hours, they often share weatherwombles who pretend to be local, This Morning she came on and to a comment from the DJ that we were expecting warm weather this morning, she  said No that's across in Norfolk, then she realised she was supposed to be doing the Norfolk forecast and verbally stumbled all over the place as the tried to cover the mistake up.

The major systems cross check runs are complete, I'd say they are OK but the Boss will have to approve when he turns up later.

Time to.. go see If I can start Next weeks major system early..

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Yes It is a struggle but the brownie point balance isn't yet high enough to go and get it all activated. Hopefully tomorrow I may be granted an hour or two. I have brought some Locos with me this time so will actually be able to run something.

Jamie

Perhaps one should consider a 7.25" line from Chateau to Railbarn.

Think of the excuses you could have when summoned back for more mundane duties.

I'm late because:

There is a driver's strike.

There was a mechanical breakdown.

No trains today (Sunday).

Leaves on the line.

Derailment.

A snail got caught twixt platform and train. 

A fox dumped on a crossing node.

The list is endless.......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps one should consider a 7.25" line from Chateau to Railbarn.

Think of the excuses you could have when summoned back for more mundane duties.

I'm late because:

There is a driver's strike.

There was a mechanical breakdown.

No trains today (Sunday).

Leaves on the line.

Derailment.

A snail got caught twixt platform and train. 

A fox dumped on a crossing node.

The list is endless.......

Or even "The driver's been attacked by the Owl/Hen Harrier/Buzzard (Pick your bird of prey of choice) or even wild boar on the prowl.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Great to hear from Tony again.  Good to know that there is some sort of coping mechanism at work,.

John - thanks for the update on Debs.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

Fodder run today.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 15

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Paid my usual lunchtime visit to Tesco's for newspapers and bread. On the way out I decided to fill up my tank in readiness for the weekend trip. As the filler on my car is on the left I usually pick a pump that is left handed. There was only one such pump vacant so I headed for that only having to brake sharply because of henwomble grabbing the pump before me. She then continued to drag the hose across the back of her car as her filler was on the right. Just as well filling the tank isn't urgent so I'll fill it tomorrow or even Saturday morning.

That’s illegal in New Jersey.  Actually it is illegal to serve yourself here.... Thought that might make you feel better.

One of the good things about New Jersey is being able to just sit in your car when it is freezing out and let an employee of the gas station do the necessary.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

Morning all from a very sunny Charente.Firstly I was very glad to read Tony's posts and am amazed at how they are coping in the circumstances but pleased that everything has gone as well as it has. I hope that they have a safe journey home. Also thoughts are with Debs and all the other sufferers.Yesterday, more jobs got done. A shopping expedition and a little trip to the bank in the morning. We had to pick up a bank card for Beth. That was fine except that they have sent to pin number to our address in the UK. In the afternoon the first task was to get the TV dish back in it's correct position. Up the ladder I went expecting to spend at least half an hour fiddling with it. However I found that two of the screws that secure the bracket to the roof structure had pulled out. 10 minutes later, two new and longer screws had been inserted and the TV was working. Brownie point balance slightly increased. Then it was time to start cleaning the pool. We've drained it and now there's various leaves and old algae to clean from the last few inches of water. I did first remove the mangled gazebo that was not strong enough to hold the cover up during the winter. Eric, a semi retired farmer appeared to cut the grass and this morning is coming back to show me how to prune the fruit trees. It will be quite amusing to prune a 'prune' tree. After a lovely stew and dumplings were consumed then we went for a walk. Plans were aborted when a French neighbour saw us and we were summoned in for a drink and nibbles. It's a hard life.After the pruning it's pool cleaning again to take advantage of the sunshine.Regards to all.Jamie

Be careful pruning the prunes you dont want to lose any plums

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Sunny here again today.

We had a curry at the pub last night, a few beers (Saltwick Nab) then went back for a tincture or three as one does. My head hurts! Time to get a mugatea then we need to pack for our trip home tonight or very early tomorrow morning.

Thoughts are with all Ers but especially Tony and Aditi and of course Debs, Simon and Mal.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Pete, filling stations manned by attendants are now a thing of the past in the UK. Theres only two or three left in the whole country. One (in Wales) was shown in a Facebook group recently with a young lady filling up a vintage car. FYI the group it was in is called 'The Golden Days of the Great British Petrol Station' well worth a look and an inspiration for some modelling. Thinking of Tony and Aditi and a get well soon to Debs, Simon and any other ailing ER's.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning, just a quick swing by before the OF bike club.

DCC Gas, Q?  it won't work, according to a thread elsewhere on here!

Best supportive thoughts to Debs, Aditi and Tony, Simon, Mal and anyone else in need.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning, just a quick swing by before the OF bike club.

DCC Gas, Q?  it won't work, according to a thread elsewhere on here!

Best supportive thoughts to Debs, Aditi and Tony, Simon, Mal and anyone else in need.

Thinking about it DCC gas could work probably in O gauge, using DCC to control a servo, controlling a gas valve, on a gas powered live steam loco.

Modulating gas to DCC standards at 9Khz would not work due to the compressibility of gas, on top of that if you think Brunel had problems with sliding joints on His atmospheric railway, try it with LPG..

• Like 15

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Pete, filling stations manned by attendants are now a thing of the past in the UK. Theres only two or three left in the whole country. One (in Wales) was shown in a Facebook group recently with a young lady filling up a vintage car. FYI the group it was in is called 'The Golden Days of the Great British Petrol Station' well worth a look and an inspiration for some modelling. Thinking of Tony and Aditi and a get well soon to Debs, Simon and any other ailing ER's.

Gas Stations in my locality here all seem to be owned by members of the Sikh community - they are somewhat surprised when I discus Cricket with them whilst they are filling my tank. One of the most popular local “fix it” garages called “Frank’s” has got an updated fifties vibe going on - which fits in with the various vintage American cars that happen to be  in. It’s popular because they can straighten up bent chassis (when cars had separate chassis ) on the biggest jig that I have seen.

I can remember collecting petrol company badges from garages when I was a kid in England. I suspect my late Mother of secretly throwing them out when my tastes changed.

A local garage in Shenfield, “Grange Motors” had the same Bentley in the shop from the time I was able to recognize what it was until the place was finally demolished in the late seventies. Good MOT shop (i.e. they always passed my Mini).

Best, Pete.

• Like 19

Morning all,

Now half way between chemo sessions, so my energy is returning. I now have a CT scan next Wednesday, which will tell the medics how effective the chemo has been so far. As a large lump in my neck disappeared after just the first session, I am confident that it will show improvement on the internal lumps that I can’t see or feel.

The recent roof work meant that a load of rockwool insulation has to be relocated, so I am now planning to use it to double the existing 4 inches in some partition walls. This means a wooden support to hold it, and conveniently the wood to be used also came from the roof work. Most of the wood for the roof is fit for nothing except the woodburner, but some of it was sufficiently OK to be reused. As this involves being on my knees a lot, I have been wearing a pair of knee pads, along with gloves and a facemask for the rockwool dust.

It is a bright and breezy day here today, so may venture out for a walk when the insulation work is done, or when i get fed up with being on my hand and knees!

Thoughts going out to Debs, Tony & Aditi, and others is need of support.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Only 1 and 3/4 hurs of working time left today before I exit stage left.

Someone on another site rminded me of a show I need to plug on here ~(as well as other places ),  i've just been on Norfolk Broads forums plugging tomorrows Norwich Model railway Show :sungum:

If you happen to be in Norfolk on Saturday 6th of May (10:00 TILL 17:00)  there is the Horning Boat Show which is free to visit, all monies rasied from the traders, go to whatever this years charities are.

It's all run by voluneers so very little has to be paid out for anything. http://www.horningboatshow.co.uk/  The odd charity bucket goes round if you feel like donating more...

Horning Sailing Club will have their "try a boat" day during the event, for the sum of £5 to cover insurance etc (family discounts apply) you can be taken out in a keelboat or dinghy for 20 minutes to a half hour sailing up and down the river by someone who knows what they are doing.

Keel boats are 20 to 25 long open sailing craft with a big lump of lead underneath so they won't fall over and you won't get wet unless it's raining. :no: although we do provide life jackets...

Also open is a our very cheap tea bar  (5 Star food safety rating) again all run by volunteers. There is cake if we haven't eaten it all... You can then sit on the club quay and watch what's going on even if you don't fancy a sail...

If you are really unlucky I'll be there to welcome you ...

Ten miinutes more dinner break then it;s back to work...

• Like 15

That’s illegal in New Jersey.  Actually it is illegal to serve yourself here.... Thought that might make you feel better.

One of the good things about New Jersey is being able to just sit in your car when it is freezing out and let an employee of the gas station do the necessary.

Best, Pete.

Indeed, I'd forgotten that, haven't been in NJ for ages - they'll struggle into the 20th century yet Pete, just you wait and see :O  :jester:

Ahh POETS :)

Will POE for my flight home, however total travel time means I don't really achieve POETS, though a couple of hours or more will be in the comfort of a plane home (FIRST CLASS ;) ).

The weekend will hopefully see the arrival of "the package", expected TODAY if the predictions are to be believed, and tomorrow will be "interesting", see below;

For my birthday my lovely wife got us tickets for a Twins baseball first home series game , she couldn't get Home Opener (last night) so opted for tomorrow, Saturday, second home game of the year.

Looking forward to it initially/originally, BUT, Minnesota SPRING continues with a vengeance, game time (1:10PM) it's supposed to be about -1C (31F/local money) and since we're NOW in an outdoor stadium, it won't be the usual baseball season attire, or level of comfort!!! :jester:

Just a wild arse guess, but I'm expecting more HOT coffee will be consumed than COLD beer, and I'm also expecting attendance to be down.

Nothing much else planned for the weekend, Sunday it's supposed to continue cold and snow again, predicting 2-4 inches :butcher:  :rtfm:  probably best to stay in, stay warm...... and model :)

POE if you can, enjoy the start of your weekend.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Pete, filling stations manned by attendants are now a thing of the past in the UK.

Not quite, Phil.  Our local station still employs an attendant, who does a fair amount of filling up.  Many customers do help themselves (me included), but it is not compulsory, and as there is no self service equipment at all, he has to come out to check the amounts for each customer anyway.

• Like 10

Afternoon all. A quick check in to pass on my good wishes to each and every one of you. I am glad the funeral seemed to go well and my thoughts remain with Tony and Aditi. Thoughts and good wishes to Debs too. I hope we hear some positive news soon.

Here in Derby, the school Easter break is almost at an end. My thoughts about returning to work on Monday remain very negative. These were not helped by the events of this week. Throughout the week I have received a barrage of emails asking when certain pieces of planning would be completed. This followed on from the first such email which arrived on DAY ONE of the school break. I had completed the planning well in advance of the deadline, fitting it around my family time, yet this does not seem to be appreciated by certain members of staff. These are, of course, those without a partner or children. 

Yesterday Sarah, Amber and I went out for the day to the Severn Valley Railway. It was very enjoyable and I may post some photos later (train warning!!!). Sadly the day was slightly spoiled by an email from one such member of staff asking me to alter some of my planning. This was the fist of at least five emails received during the day. Sadly, this could become the final straw. I have already decided that I will leave this school in the summer anyway (I never intended it to be a long term stay). Whilst I will continue to look for other jobs, I am also strongly looking at opportunities outside of teaching. This includes the possibility of buying a business. A few meetings have been organised over the next few days to see what would be financially viable. Perhaps, just perhaps, a 20 year teaching career may just be coming to an end.

Best wishes

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that although I don't get emails from work at home, when it's the weekend  I don't look at the emails, and when I'm out sailing the phone stays at home...

• Like 10