The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin‘ awl. Thoughts with Tony and Aditi, and everyone else under the weather or ailing on this Easter morning...

Overcast and somewhat windy outside, or in other words, unappealing. However, 19C are on the forecast by Tuesday. I’m not sure I can handle that!

Will try to pop in later when at FiL‘s (only a couple of streets away, really!). Cheers... :bye:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,
First and foremost my thoughts for today will be with Tony and  Aditi. Also Debs and those others of our little corner of the web who are not too well at the moment.

It's a bit grey outside but some brightish periods are possible later along with some showers. Not much change there then. 
Later this morning  we're off to son Steve's flat for the day. He, Abbie, Joe and Gemma are doing a "Mother's Day" meal today for Chris and Nicki as we had to postpone it a couple of weeks ago when Nicki was ill. Glad to say she's fully recovered and back to her normal self.
Nothing else planned today apart from that so I will just sit in the corner as usual nodding wisely  :yes:   and taking on board any proffered food and drink. :drinks:

Especially the latter.  :whistle:  

Have a good one and like me, just keep bob,bob bobbin' along. :imsohappy:
Kate.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a damp Robin Hoods Bay.

We have been back from the Antipodes for 3 weeks. I need to be back there now as it was nice and warm.

Yesterday was damp and grey but today we will go to the beach and partake in the egg fling followed by a stroll to boggle hole to raise a glass to one of our bogglers who's ashes reside there.

Later we host tea and wads then off to a bbq. By the end of today I may be a bit tired.

Hopefully Tony and Aditi have no hold ups on their travels today on a sad journey.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Folks. A happy & sunny morning down here in Newport.

Our  dogs have had a problem during the winter, whereas our larger Staffie is very definitely a '5 mile dog', our little girl is a '500 yard' contender.

However, with the onset of warmer weather, the 500 yards is now nearly 2 miles, which is much better, and much better for my waistline!

Some rumblings about snow (at least, in the UK). Any authentication? I've had enough of snow, we need some sun. Not a great deal, just the right amount to lift peoples spirits.

And now, back to tiling for me....

Have a great Sunday, take care & enjoy.

Ian.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention earlier that our lovely neighbours are in Dutchland at the moment. Youngest daughter Jess is a member of the England u19 Korfball squad and they are taking part in the European championships in Leeuwarden. They got beaten in the semi finals yesterday by the Netherlands (who always seem to win as they invented the game) and today will be in the bronze medal match.

For those who don't know about the game there's a little bit here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korfball

https://ikf.org/event/ikf-u19-open-european-korfball-championship/

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's a piece of trivia I stumbled across whilst surfing the net. 

Years back I was at a conference in Paris where I first met an American researcher and his wife who became very good friends and eventually godparents to one of my offspring. The conference venue was at a football stadium and I was trying to figure out which one it was. 

Whilst looking at a map of Paris I noticed a metro station whose name had always made me wonder how it got it's name: Kremlin-Bicetre.

A bit of online research shows that it is Russian & English in origin. 

Reading further showed that Bicetre is a corruption of the word Bichestre, which in turn is a corruption of the word Vinchestre. In turn this was a corruption of the word Winchester, and back in the 13th century the hamlet of Bicetre had a manor built there by the Bishop of Winchester. 

Oh, and the football stadium appears to be the one that is in Gentilly, just in case you thought I'd forgotten why I started surfing in the first place.  :senile:

The Kremlin bit, not surprisingly, comes from the Napoleonic invasion of Russia and where French troops camped. Those that were wounded and were treated at Bicetre hospital came to refer to a local tavern as "The Sergeant of the Kremlin" and over time the area became known by that name, eventually appearing on official maps. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. On my shopping expedition yesterday I picked up what I thought was a standard pack of hot cross buns, alas they turned out to be salted caramel with choc chip, yeuck! :mad_mini: At least the birds seem to like them. Off out this afternoon to take the lad and his dad to the Canvey bus museum, hopefully the model railway they have there will be operating. Thoughts are with Tony and Aditi and Debs of course and any other ailing ER's. Be back later.

• Like 18

What a nasty cold grey and wet Easter this has turned out to be round these parts. Glad I have chosen to work Friday and tomorrow in exchange for having them off in another week's time so I can attend this year's Machine Tool exhibition at the NEC.

As for spoonerisms, I notice there's always plenty of examples of 'shining wit' over in the products and trade threads.  :sarcastic:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

My thoughts are with Tony and Aditi  - I hope all goes as well as it can in the circumstances - and with Debs, I hope she is on the road to recovery.

BoD - one of my customers (I'm in IT support) is an insurance company, obviously I can't say a lot about them but the sales systems have targets and the price of quotes will vary according to how close to the target the sales are - so a very popular policy (I use policy in a very general sense) will not drop much, but a less popular one will be discounted to attract business if it's not approaching the target sales - so its worth spending time getting quotes over a number of days / weeks and even later at night.

As others have said make sure you are getting exactly what you asked for but our collection of Meerkats shows we've had several years of good buys from them. This year my other half renewed with her existing company as the price was as good as Meerkats offered. Mine is up in a few weeks so I'll be checking prices again soon.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Slow start to the morning as I'm still crackered from yesterday, the paint brush & roller will out again today when I can

get myself motivated HER is in the garden as it's not raining here so she won't be up my butt getting in the way later. 

Have a good day all.

John 

Morning all

A bright sunny day here but still chilly. Yesterday was just cold and wet and horrible.

Just about to start prepping Easter lunch for the whole family including my mum. Our two boys (31 and 25) said not to worry they'd prepare the meal. Yeah right! Both are suffering from mega-hangovers, one from the Joshua fight, the other from a bender after playing rugby yesterday afternoon then watching Edinburgh at Murrayfield. Good job they've got us to do it for them!

Think snow is on the cards tomorrow; central heating is on forever.

Thoughts with Tony and Aditi and hope that things go as well as can be expected.

Thinking of Debs, too.

Mal

• Like 18

James, Debs' nephew, bought his grandparents an Alexa. Message from Debs

Using Alexa to converse with Elsie and Keith today, i can send a text message here and their Alexa speaks it to them.

They can also say "send Deborah a message" and then theyre invited to speak the message content, then by leavin a long pause, Alexa will say "send to deborah, right?"..... "yes", then i receive it as a text...... Brilliant practical application of the vox-recog technology.

The can't visit at the moment because James has been hit hard with a flu bug and, unlike him, has taken to bed.

And for the moment we've eggsausted all the puns

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 7

Some rumblings about snow (at least, in the UK). Any authentication? I've had enough of snow, we need some sun. Not a great deal, just the right amount to lift peoples spirits.

And now, back to tiling for me....

Have a great Sunday, take care & enjoy.

Ian.

If your local media is like ours, the forecast is slight snow in the high peak so we are all in danger of being cut off for weeks! :jester:

Mornin awl

Thoughts with Tony & Aditi and Debs

• Like 17

Actually, they're in Friesland. Don't say to a Frisian he's Dutch, your nose will be shortened if you do ;)  Frisians have their own official language, only in their own province tho, and road signs are bilingual. Leeuwarden (Ljouwert in Frisian) is also the provincial capital and both start and finish of the "Elfstedentocht" (11 cities speed skating contest) connecting 11 Frisian cities via frozen canals/waterways/lakes totalling some 200+ km (140+ miles) which is only held when temps drop sufficiently to allow the skaters to pass safely (15cm/6" of ice required on the whole circuit IIRC) Last one was in 1986... :rolleyes:  (an alternative is offered annually on the Austrian "Weissensee" in Tirol)  Yes, that's 200+km in freezing conditions in wind-chill factors of -20 and lower. Some Dutch really are nuts :P

So, this morning in Northern Scotland, I went out onto our patio to change/replace the birds water which had frozen solid overnight, and heard an unusual motor sound - looking up I was being overflown by one of those motorised para-wings. If it was cold enough to freeze the water solid at ground-level it must have been "brass monkeys" at 500+' with a slipstream as well - maybe he was a Dutchman?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon to all, somewhat late on parade today as we were at church for 7.30 and after the morning service I prepared egg and bacon butties for all that were there.   We then had the normal Easter Service.   Tony and Aditi were very much on my mind as we discussed the subject matter of Easter.   Anyway we, that is the royal we, are busy preparing for the hordes to invade at 3pm only two of the kids with their wives.  However this has disrupted our packing for going to France tomorrow as usually by now the dining room table is covered in bags and boxes that need to go in the car.    

In the morning it will be off to collect the trailer then pack it, don't ask why we need to pack the large iron bath and the milk churn. Then set off as soon s the car is packed.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

:unsureclear: Pssss  :huhclear: what  :unsureclear: have those people who are telling the eggy jokes gone  :huhclear: no why  :unsureclear: I thought the thread was going to retun to normal today  :huhclear: since when has this thread been normal

:unsureclear: spose yer right it's never been normal  :huhclear: glad you agree now shut up and go back to sleep  :unsureclear: OK     zzzzz   

Brian    

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

White Rabbits!!!!

Easter Bunnies!!!!

Quiet day in sleepy small-town Cornwall with lunch at Melinsey Mill near Veryan. Hunting eggs has been no more challenging than a trip to the Co-op and the only rabbits in evidence are very real, very damp and very furry. For the 60th year in succession no-one has fooled me despite their attempts.

Have the rest of a peaceful Easter, happy if you can manage it, and cross fingers that the predicted amount of ran does not trap us here. The rivers are already high at Cowley Bridge, Axminster and Athelney; the route via Brizzle is closed for ginger-beering work.