The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I believe I have reported before that some of my "friends" have called me Kate in the past. (Blackadder fans will understand this)

As if by magic.

and

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Thoughts still with Aditi and Tony, and of course Debs.

Trains were run in the garden, BBQ was had, wood burning patio heater full on, and a good time was had.  It didn't precipitate, as we didn't say BBQ until after we had eaten - it is an outdoor eating experience beforehand, which fools the weather controllers.

Forgot to take any photos - d'oh.  Still, it helps my survival, avoiding wet lettuce therapy.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Staying in here the rest of the night

A chocolate version of one of the nicest beers in the UK and its Welsh

Wow

I'm trying to remember the name of the pub that was just round the corner from Barry's former club rooms. Cross Keys?

Used to pop in for a pint there when visiting my former company's offices. 

• Like 11

Question time:

Does the panel think that given we're fast approaching the evening hours here, the delivery that stated "Estimated delivery Wed, Mar 28 - Sat, Mar 31" but omitted the YEAR, means that in fact I'm unlikely to see this until 2019? :jester:  :triniti:  :O  :butcher:  :rtfm:

Yours - really !@$%!@% annoyed in Minnesnowta

A friend of mine posted the interesting weather observation on Facebook;

The NEXT person that says 'at least it's sunny', when I bitch about the cold is getting kicked in the nads! :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Question time:

Does the panel think that given we're fast approaching the evening hours here, the delivery that stated "Estimated delivery Wed, Mar 28 - Sat, Mar 31" but omitted the YEAR, means that in fact I'm unlikely to see this until 2019? :jester:  :triniti:  :O  :butcher:  :rtfm:

Yours - really !@$%!@% annoyed in Minnesnowta

A friend of mine posted the interesting weather observation on Facebook;

The NEXT person that says 'at least it's sunny', when I bitch about the cold is getting kicked in the nads! :sarcastichand:

Blimey Ian - you're fast succumbing to the "I want it now" generation.....  :nono:  

Only  :jester:

I have to be patient with my US purchase that is currently in transit from PA to WV. Although USPS suggest a delivery of this coming Tuesday, it worries me not that I won't actually receive it until sometime in mid-May.

No doubt on Tuesday, I will be asking niece to send me pictures of said item to ensure it has arrived there safe and sound.

Come mid-May, I will send a text to NB Junior and/or niece at a suitable time when they are mid-Atalntic, so that when they touchdown and turn their phones on, I will ask them how long it will take them to get home from the airport. Or even worse, I go to pick them up and demand my goods ask for my presents. :)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

Blimey Ian - you're fast succumbing to the "I want it now" generation.....  :nono:  

Only  :jester:

Not exactly, since I did pay for it on March 12th and it "shipped" March 15th :O I tend to be fairly patient and a week and a half for expedited shipping SHOULD be enough, surely :)

I'm more part of the "I want it while I can still REMEMBER WHAT I ORDERED" generation/age :jester:  :senile:  :O

or even "did I ORDER THAT?!?!?"

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly, since I did pay for it on March 12th and it "shipped" March 15th :O I tend to be fairly patient and a week and a half for expedited shipping SHOULD be enough, surely :)

I'm more part of the "I want it while I can still REMEMBER WHAT I ORDERED" generation/age :jester:  :senile:  :O

or even "did I ORDER THAT?!?!?"

When I ordered an item (at my cost of customs/taxes)  from Canada - it took about 3 days to get to the UK and then another 6 days to travel 150 miles and succumb to Parcelforce's licence to print money handling charge.

The next item I ordered from the US via ebay GSP took about 6 days in the US and then 2 to get from Kentucky to me - including using Hermes for the final leg!

Which reminds me:

post-408-0-08131700-1522532876.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

On another subject - the finished cake.

The recipient is of a farming family, hence the cow top section. The lower section is a reminder of her MiniStox driving days and a rollover (which the car does around the lower level)

post-408-0-90608400-1522533164_thumb.jpg

There are suitable reinforcements within the cake, that whilst being inedible, are food-safe.

Tomorrow's plans have changed slightly, as I'm now taking my boss to the MAN airport for 9.30am-ishand then I will brave the M62 for Kroy exhibition. The upside to this detour is that my boss has provided me with a few extra modelling tokens for the taxi duty!

Then it's M62 again back to Blackburn to watch a charity ice hockey game. (NB Junior has provided a cake voucher as a raffle prize). That will be it for our ice hockey fix until September.

As Easter Sunday and 1st April coincide, I'll leave you with this:

The invisible Easter egg hunt

This is an excellent plan if you have a garden. Tell the children there is an Easter egg hunt in the garden. Put the children in the garden. Close the back door. Let them spend ages searching fruitlessly for Easter eggs that you haven’t actually hidden. After you’ve enjoyed a rare 10 minutes of peace and quiet indoors, while they get increasingly bemused and frustrated, go into the garden claiming to have found a note from the Easter Bunny. The note reads “April Fool”.

And this:

The ultimate Easter Sunday April Fool’s prank

If you really want to get Easter started with some tears and tantrums, why not just tell your children the truth about the Easter Bunny? And Father Christmas while you are at it...

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Years ago, I ordered from a Canadian shop (Vancouver). It took several days to arrive airside at my local airport after initial shipping by the shop, but after that, nothing was moving and I hadn't received it either. So after a few weeks I contacted the shop to make inquiries on my behalf. Turned out, my parcel was shoved aside and crushed beyond recognition. It was returned to the aforementioned shop and the owner wanted a statement from me it had never arrived. Meanwhile, he would do his utmost to find replacement models for the ones obliterated by some daft i**t. This was accomplished relatively quickly and the new parcel was send via a different route and arrived in a timely fashion, regrettably like Mick with a note for ransom money import duty. Which was considerable, as the value was well in excess of CAN$800. (4x Kato AC4400 in H0 in CPR livery) :rolleyes:

Um...did the delivery chain involve TNT? They once sat on a parcel I sent to a buyer in NL, who accused me of never having sent it. I had to get a Dutch-speaking friend involved and it was discovered that it had actually arrived in NL, but that they hadn't got round to delivering it.

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to remember the name of the pub that was just round the corner from Barry's former club rooms. Cross Keys?

Used to pop in for a pint there when visiting my former company's offices.

Yep Cross keys or the Midnight Bell..of course you can add Northern Monk as well now

Baz

• Like 7

I rather think that shaft of wit is a very good Spoonerism. 

The classic, I believe from Dr. Spooner himself, is the idea of raising a glass to the queer old dean.

I had to scratch my head over Chris' spoonerism, until I started rearranging letters, when it instantly became clear, (spoonerisms generally being a phonetic swap) though perhaps i was not allowing for variations in pronunciation. 

The Rev. Spooner was reputedly responsible for a great many of his eponymous gaffes.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

Reputedly he said in relation to a train back to Oxford.

• "You have hissed all my mystery lectures, and were caught fighting a liar in the quad. Having tasted two worms, you will leave by the next town drain" (You have missed all my history lectures, and were caught lighting a fire in the quad. Having wasted two terms, you will leave by the next down train)[1]

(Wikipedia)

• Like 14

Re: Bobs.

My dad is a Bob. I don't recall him ever being addressed as Robert by anyone who knew him. The only person he ever permitted to call him Bobby was his mother.

Beto is a popular Spanish nickname for Roberto, though I can't see it catching on amongst English speakers here.

• RMweb Premium

The papers here reported that some children were taken from their foster parents who had refused to tell them about the Easter bunny.

Re: Bobs.

Beto is a popular Spanish nickname for Roberto, though I can't see it catching on amongst English speakers here.

In Brazil where the language is Portuguese I know a Beto Boaventura in Rio (Beto is probably also used in Portugal itself obviously)

Best, Pete.

We saw our first swifts of the year this morning. We were having breakfast at a window table in a diner in a small town in southern BC, and there were four of them soaring around the street outside and examining the overhangs in the building opposite.

Definitely not a sign of summer - I'm not sure we've got spring yet.

• Like 18

This as been the longest, coldest most leaden winter I remember in a long, long time with no sign of a let up yet either. Last one that comes close for me is ‘79 and I don’t remember the summer being much better. Until school went back in August of course...

Ironically I’m working today then off for three again. Beats full time though. I now need to find a way of disposing of some surplus models as it looks like I’ll have a car again on Wednesday.

Been a long time without!

Have a good day folks and kind thoughts for those who have difficult tasks ahead.

D