The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon. Think I am recovering. It all began with a very early morning call:

Him "I think my spectacles are in the washing machine."

Me "Hold tight, I'll drive over"

By the time I got there he had the washing machine in the middle of the room and the cold water supply off the wall and spouting.

Oh, and he had put his spectacles in the soap dispenser tray of the washing machine...

Secondly, may I pick your brains.

I have never used car insurance comparison sites before, I have just negotiated a better price with my current insurer.  However I would like to give them a go. I took the risk of entering my details into one this morning (I made the assumption that they can be as trusted as anyone on the net and most of the details would be out there somewhere anyway) and was pleasantly surprised by the returns.  Having double checked the level of cover provided I have found one that I am happy with. I suppose that you will never find out how good they really are until you have to make a claim. 

Now a couple of questions if you don't mind.  If you have done so, are you happy using these sites and changing insurers year on year?  Are there any pitfalls?  Is it a case of simply clicking to go to the insurer's site, buying online and telling my old insurer that I don't want to renew?

We use a comparison site which has given us LV for the last three years. Strangely, the quote is less than our renewal, so I contact LV and they reduce the renewal premium !!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've been using the Meerkats for 3 or 4 years now and am quite happy with them. A couple of things to note:  Some insurance companies won't register with them so you could possibly miss a deal from those. Also you need to double check what the companies quoted are actually offering. I always ask for things like NCD protection and legal protection but very often the low quotes that come up don't show them and will be an extra.

HTH.

I tried the meerkats for travel insurance and it was useless - only got one reply.  But Go Compare produced a huge number of answers with considerable accompanying information and a wide range of prices giving a very helpful indication of where the best offer would be available (which I duly took up with the Admiral via a subsequent 'phone call). 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Strange orange glowing sphere in an otherwise blue sky. Bit of a change from this morning's overcast start.

Various items smuggled back into the house and I now have enough "bits" to keep me busy over the rest of the extended weekend. 

Limbering up to cutting a ~155mm circular hole in my pristine baseboard. Oops, forgot she's most probably lurking on the quiet.

I mean.... cutting a medium size hole in a plywood sheet. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

It common practice for insurance companies to bump up the price to loyal customers, then hope they stay loyal. But also then offer low prices to newcomers, to entice them in.

I tried the comparison sites but found Saga the best, they being brokers, will find the best deal for you each year.

We're just back from a trip to hoodie town,ie Gt Yarmouth, an extraordinarily high percentage of tracksuits, trainers and overstrained leggings.

The roads on the way were lined with a continuous puddle, for mile after mile.

By the time we returned, the roads were lined with cockwombles in large quantities

It does have a fairly good range of shops, I was trying to obtain packs of cheap craft knives/disposable break-off knives. All the usual suspects did not have any, I do hope this is a shortage from china, not some misguided banning, incase someone causes blood to drip that's not their own.

As it was a selection of helpful items were obtained for the unmentionable use.

Also half a dozen books were obtained however only one on our banned subject. Various vegetables were seen sunbathing, but nothing suitable for inserting into a gas suppliers.

The living room thermometer was showing 15 when we came in, but prodding the fire with a poker has woken it up a bit... Now there is something for a gas supplier...

I believe, bacon egg and chips is about to arrive, with a noticeable shortage of v...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The classic, I believe from Dr. Spooner himself, is the idea of raising a glass to the queer old dean.

It's just as well he didn't know Robin Hood's priest.

• Like 1

How about:

Bob (GDB)

Bob (RhB)

Bob (81C)

Solved :toclue:

A "great" little Bob group G, R & 8 = gr8

How about:

Bob (GDB)

Bob (RhB)

Bob (81C)

Solved :toclue:

A "great" little Bob group G, R & 8 = gr8 Edited by lightengine

It's just as well he didn't know Robin Hood's priest.

I have seen a cafe named after Robin Hood’s priest, where some wags had got up and swapped some letters around. It didn’t stay swapped very long!

• Like 4

Afternoon Awl,

It common practice for insurance companies to bump up the price to loyal customers, then hope they stay loyal. But also then offer low prices to newcomers, to entice them in.

I tried the comparison sites but found Saga the best, they being brokers, will find the best deal for you each year.

We're just back from a trip to hoodie town,ie Gt Yarmouth, an extraordinarily high percentage of tracksuits, trainers and overstrained leggings.

The roads on the way were lined with a continuous puddle, for mile after mile.

By the time we returned, the roads were lined with cockwombles in large quantities

It does have a fairly good range of shops, I was trying to obtain packs of cheap craft knives/disposable break-off knives. All the usual suspects did not have any, I do hope this is a shortage from china, not some misguided banning, incase someone causes blood to drip that's not their own.

Also half a dozen books were obtained however only one on our banned subject. Various vegetables were seen sunbathing, but nothing suitable for inserting into a gas suppliers.

The living room thermometer was showing 15 when we came in, but prodding the fire with a poker has woken it up a bit... Now there is something for a gas supplier...

I believe, bacon egg and chips is about to arrive, with a noticeable shortage of v...

try http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM613&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM613

• Like 3

Afternoon Awl,

I was trying to obtain packs of cheap craft knives/disposable break-off knives. All the usual suspects did not have any, I do hope this is a shortage from china, not some misguided banning, incase someone causes blood to drip that's not their own.

I have given up on cheap disposable knives - suggest a look on ebay for simplex surgical blades in packs of 100 - ultra sharp swiss carbon steel and fit Swann Morton handles - a cheaper way to buy!

This may not be a suitable purchase for GDB !

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Ventured out to Tesco's at Pitsea this lunchtime, it seems that to pre-emt the usual bunfights over the reduced items they had started reducing the prices early so I was able to pick up a couple of bargains. Only a few but some people had trolleys full of stuff just because it was cheap, I wonder how much of it gets wasted.

It took many many years for my Mum to call me Bob. She eventually got used to it but I knew I was in trouble if I heard her shout "ROBERRRT."

My mum never abreviated my name and was annoyed when other people did so but I knew I was in trouble when she called out "PHILLIPP". I take pains to point out that my name is spelt with two L's instead of the usual one, especially those who complain that I haven't answered their e-mails when they have used only the one L despite my writing it down. I do believe we still have more Ians than Bobs.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12

What would a spoonerism of spoonerism be?

Perhaps a cutleryism!??!

I can't believe the schoolboy humor that pervades here, I don't understand why I partake, then Julie reminded me I "play with toy trains"  :jester:  :rtfm:  :sarcastichand:

Don't think I will ever quite understand how the mind of a French mistress works. You know I said the CX was turning over but refusing to fire?

Fearing the worst in terms of fault-finding, I stuck the key in and turned. Not only did she agree to start first time, but she fired first time. It was as if nothing had happened. Didn't even need to check the fuses.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180331_160632.jpg

I was so surprised, I went out for a run. It's not all good news, though. It does look like the gearbox is slipping either in first or second range if you try to put the power down quickly, so it looks like it's overdue for a fluid and filter change.

At least she can be driven over to Brodie's.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180331_133316.jpg

In the first picture I'm sure she's laughing at you ;)

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

We attended the Boggle get together. Lots of money raised for a local charity which is great.

Was allowed a couple of pints of Black Sheep so have had a little eyelid inspection.

Now to cook tea then maybe a trip to the pub.....

Tony hope you and Aditi have a hassle free trip.

Baz

• Like 16

Two minutes before noon... not exactly an ER!

Lemme see;

So far the "expedited delivery" status hasn't changed and the suggested arrival today has yet to occur, I'm doubtful I'll see my package today :triniti:  :butcher:

Overnight we were presented with the following, better than 50 miles north where they have 8-10 inches...

post-20244-0-85440000-1522515745_thumb.jpg

Whitney X-ray, the yellow shows the dye-trace they added, and it clearly shows the infection path from the opening on her abdomen to where the muscle was re-attached to the bone. Doctor was well pleased seeing this image, so I thought I'd share, makes a change from the "other" types of pictures we're dissuaded from showing :jester:

post-20244-0-71557600-1522516490_thumb.jpg

Still a balmy -5 and sunny here after noon now, the high due to reach a staggering -3, with overnight lows of around -12 - Happy Easter :O

Enjoy the weekend, maybe back later...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I have given up on cheap disposable knives - suggest a look on ebay for simplex surgical blades in packs of 100 - ultra sharp swiss carbon steel and fit Swann Morton handles - a cheaper way to buy!

This may not be a suitable purchase for GDB !

I like surgical blades, they dont hurt as much when they go through your fingers!

Yep, I've found that after a bit of practice, I can self incise with these extremely neatly.   :yes:

• Like 3

Look for the surgical ones that are date expired for surgical use.Loads cheaper. 

Edited by Coombe Barton