The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I had an Evo VI for a while but Mrs S hated it and blamed it for her back problems. That went in P/E for a Volvo C70. Funny thing was it was nicked overnight from the Volvo dealer's showroom before they could sell it.

Was it taken in a stick up?

I said I'd explain the Natural England reference earlier...

The County Council have filled in a pool on the burn by my parents' house, which is in a local nature reserve where kingfishers nest. So I think they've filled in the only pool on the burn. I've contacted Natural England to ask whether they're destroying kingfisher habitat. Apparently it's to prevent erosion (and they couldn't just have put in a couple of gabions to protect the bank?) and to allow fish to swim upstream (there are already fish upstream). :mad:

Trying to list a few items on Ebay tonight but the blasted site keeps kicking me out and demanding I sign in every time I try to do anything. :mad: :mad_mini: :bomb_mini:

• RMweb Gold

A very uncomfortable ride, particularly with all the pot holes about..

Is it a subtle marketing ploy to lend you a Merc while your car is in the garage? I had a VW Touran while my Scenic was being straightened out a few years ago. I felt every bump in that. It certainly got that vehicle crossed off my list of possible permanent replacements. There are huge potholes in the car park at our local park. I'm surprised at the speed some people drive in it, I've got fairly sensible wheels on my car and I go carefully.

Tony

Morning All,

Another fairly chilly morning here - around 1°C, but no sign of any snow.

I've got a day off today. The water board are coming to change the water meter, and so I decided to take a day of last years leave and do a few jobs as well.

Apparently it's to prevent erosion (and they couldn't just have put in a couple of gabions to protect the bank?) and to allow fish to swim upstream (there are already fish upstream). :mad:

Prevent erosion my foot <_< . Forgive me being cynical, but it sounds more like saving money!

Have a good day everyone...

I will not be jealous of Don's blue sky and warm sunshine...

If I keep repeating that I might believe it!

Finally got the first 6 of my listings loaded on Ebay last night, took ages and much frustration but at least it's done. I'm clearing out some old non-DCC locos etc as I have far too many that I'm not going to get round to using, or that have been replaced by DCC ready locos. Still got a couple of locos to go on.

Still dark here unsurprisingly. Also made a vat of soup for Jamie last night to take over with me tomorrow. Let's hope she likes parsnip and apple!

Off climbing again tonight. There's a bouldering competition at my local climbing centre, and a friend's coming across from Glasgow to take part. I thought despite being a relative newbie at climbing I'd give it a shot too.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, hope everyone is well. Off to Ally Pally for the Model Engineer Exhibition today - I'm hoping to revive my long dormant interest in all things metal. I have a 5" gauge live steam IoW O2 which has a chassis, boiler and a lot of the platework done, it's been this way since the mid 80s. I've determined I want to finish it before I'm pushing up daisies so want some inspiration.

I've roped eldavo in as my minder, hope he doesn't get too bored!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

It's just slightly below freezing outside, but dry. I believe I also caught up with what sleep I did not get the night before, which is good :) . We shall be popping round to that Swedish furniture house in the afternoon as we'd like to redress the flat here and there.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Greetings from a non-frosty Essex. It seems to have rained during the night. As it was dark earlier when I let Robbie out I didn't realise how damp it was outside so ended up mopping the floor instead of wiping his paws first!

I'll be waiting in for the replacement broadband router today. It is coming via Royal Mail so I expect it will be here before midday.

Tony

Tony, you may find that initially there is no major change in your speed, even after you've changed the router. When we had all our issues the engineer explained to me about the piece of kit at the exchange that raises or lowers the speed depending on your specific line. It takes a good 24-48 hours to change, so bear with it.

If you go to http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ this will give you the line performance. I run mine every few days or if I suspect the speed has changed. Looking at my last set of results I got these figures.

Download speed during test 5444Kbps

DSL Connection Rate 6065Kbps

IP Profile 5000Kbps

The download speed is what it says. The IP profile is set by the exchange equipment and reflects the signal/noise ratio. The spec for my line gives a maximum achievable speed of 7150Kbps, so I guess I'm running at around 76% of the max. I believe the only way for this to improve is for the IP profile to be increased. The equipment is continually monitoring the line until it can settle at a set of figures that will provide a reliable service. As I said this can take a few days, so don't worry if you don't see an immediate improvement.

When they manually pushed it to an IP Profile of 7000Kbps my download speed went up to 7662Kbps and DSL connection rate was 8125Kbps. Perhaps there's a BT engineer on here that can confirm that is the case.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, you may find that initially there is no major change in your speed, even after you've changed the router. When we had all our issues the engineer explained to me about the piece of kit at the exchange that raises or lowers the speed depending on your specific line. It takes a good 24-48 to change, so bear with it.

Testing Testing!

The new router arrived just after I last posted and at least it works! It is now the curvy black version. I'll wait a while as you suggest before getting too concerned about the speed. I'll be going round for a while changing all the wireless devices!

Tony

Well, the man from the water board came and went. He was an hour and ten minutes EARLY for the appointment. It is lucky I was back from dropping the little guy at school!

I have also been having a bit of a tidy up in the cellar. I had to move a load of stuff so that the bloke could get to the water meter, and it didn't seem much point in putting it all back in the same place again. I was amazed how many empty boxes I have saved "in case they come in useful" :lol: My next problem will be how to get rid of them!

I managed to knock over a large pot of paint while I was down there - of course, the lid HAD to come off, didn't it? :angry:

• RMweb Gold

I've got the BTBroadband voice line activated and my wife's laptop now talks wirelessly to the Homehub so that's enough techy stuff for today. I'll sort the connection from my BT mobile phone later, there are pages of stuff on how to connect that to a version 2 Homehub. I think a quiet day of cleaning the bathrooms and a bit of shopping are about my intellectual level now. I won't be going out until the normal post arrives though (the hub was ParcelForce delivered) as Amazon are sending a printer cartridge and I'm hoping for a little parcel from Bromsgrove!

Tony

Morning all (just),

Late on parade as usual but it's darned cold here, still rather nice though.

The peice and quiet has just been disturbed as my other half is in a bit of a panic, due to one of our cats not appearing for breakfast. Most days you could set your watch by them but for whatever reason she's yet to surface, I hope she's ok!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

... my other half is in a bit of a panic, due to one of our cats not appearing for breakfast. Most days you could set your watch by them but for whatever reason she's yet to surface, I hope she's ok!

Nidge ;)

I hope she turned up. My brother has cats and their occasional absences usually end up with him having to climb dangerous trees to recover the cats that climb but don't descend.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Chilly morning, just above freezing outside. We got some new furniture for the kitchen yesterday, but this won't have been the last item we shall be renewing over the next several weeks.

Have a pleasant day everyone! :)

Morning All,

A rather chilly morning, as Dominik said. However, there is only broken cloud, and so it looks like there might be some sun later on - which will be nice. Yesterday was a lovely day weather wise.

I haven't got too much planned for today. I'll just see how the day pans out.